Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Eonwe posted:

Lets assume I haven't played a lot of RPGs

what are some really long RPGs that you'd recommend

any console but Wii U/PS4/XBone

Ignore me if this was a troll -- I'm not sure what your standard of "really long" is. I originally started a big :spergin: reply, but rather than that, questions!

* What do you like in an RPG? Do you like western-style (I make a character into whatever I want, it's an open and only partially-plotted world) or Japanese-style (It's a big pre-scripted storyline that I just work my way through)? Do you mind a bit of action segments mixed in with it?

* Are there any platforms that you don't want? (i.e. do you have the patience for NES-era RPGs with poo poo graphics/interfaces, as long as it's fun?) Is PC okay?

* What's your idea of minimum length? Is it okay if it's a really good RPG, but can be burned through in a weekend (10-16 hours)?

StashAugustine posted:

but then it's competitive and obtuse and full of shitheads

Says the SA poster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Eonwe posted:

No it honestly wasn't a troll. I've actually played a reasonable amount of RPGs, but I've probably missed out on a lot of them. Western or Eastern are ok, any consoles except the new console Gen, PC is actually preferred. Sure, any length really is fine but I was wanting to take a week vacation or something and just waste it playing RPGs. I've got holiday time I have to use or I lose it.

On the relatively recent console side:
* Lost Odyssey (2008, Xbox360) -- freaking huge, four discs plus DLC.
* The Last Story (2012, Wii)
* Shin Megami Tensei Persona 4 (2008, PS2; recently rereleased on PSN)
* Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch (2013, PS3)
* Fire Emblem: Awakening (2013, 3DS)

(It should be mentioned that Lost Odyssey is basically a Final Fantasy game by a different name -- plot by Hironobu Sakaguchi, music by Nobuo Uematsu. If you're cool with that, there is an absurd amount of content in this game, both the main plot and a bunch of side stories and optional quests.)

On the PC side, there's the usual list of well-known RPGs that have come out in the last 5-10 years, most of which are Western RPGs:
* The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim (and TES:Oblivion if you haven't played that)
* Fallout: New Vegas (and Fallout 3 if you haven't played that)
* Divinity: Original Sin
* Witcher 1/2
* Mass Effect 1/2 (fml, where are you, ME3 PC)
* Dark Souls 1/2
* Dragon Age: Origins (but only the first one, gently caress all other DAs to date)

Some runner-ups on the PC:
* Shadowrun:Dragonfall is excellent, but may be a little short for a week.
* South Park: The Stick of Truth will last you 2-3 days; it's absurdly funny if you like South Park, and will bore you if you don't.
* Wasteland 2 is supposed to be absurdly good, but I haven't started it yet, so I can't comment as to its length.
* Deus Ex: Human Revolution -- this is arguable as to whether it's a FPS, an RPG, or both, but it's certainly worthwhile if you haven't already played it.

You might want to try looking at JRPGs for older consoles as well -- they're usually pretty long, although they tend to achieve that through a bunch of combat padding instead of plot. Namely:

* Earthbound (SNES) is good if you haven't already played it. The setting is quirky and it takes a while to gain steam, but it's pretty amusing.
* If you haven't done any of the older Final Fantasy games, they're worth playing. Most of them have a decent modern remake -- and, sadly, some of them have really crappy modern remakes as well. The PSP ports of FF1, FF2, and FF4 are excellent; they put in new sprites and better translations, but leave the core gameplay intact. (In contrast, the DS ports of these games are basically complete remakes with 3D content and new game mechanics, and it doesn't quite do so well.) Likewise, the GBA port of FF5 is pretty solid.

ullerrm fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Dec 16, 2014

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, and just for sake of an example, this is what FF4 looks like on the PSP.

It stays pretty close to the original game in visual style, while giving it a substantial overhaul.

For comparison, the DS and iOS ports make it look like a late-90s Playstation1 game:

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Accordion Man posted:

The PSP version of 4 also includes the After Years.

Yeah, but After Years is terrible :\ The writing is pretty sub-par, and it drags on and on and on.

Plus, it's one of the few FF games that strictly requires you to minmax. The final boss involves every character of the cast, some of which you only get to control for the duration of a single sub-story. If you don't powerlevel them while you have them, you'll get to the final boss, be forced to use them when they're relatively weak, and have almost no chance of beating it.

Pablo Gigante posted:

Xenoblade Chronicles on the Wii is like 60+ hours and it's really good. Just try not to do every single side quest or you'll go insane.

This is a good suggestion too. With one catch: It's hard to find. It was one of the last games to come out for the Wii and was printed in relatively small numbers; they did a reprint, but it's still hard to find. A year after release, it was over $100 on eBay; looks like the reprint's knocked that down to the $50-60 range.

ullerrm fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Dec 16, 2014

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

euphronius posted:

what was wrong with Destiny? I was thinking about getting it.

It has many rough edges. I enjoyed the hell out of it, and yet I haven't played it in weeks. Many of the rough edges it had on launch have been fixed by subsequent patches, so I'll just talk in general about my big three gripes:

#1: A substantial part of the story/lore exists outside the game. The game has a matching app for iOS/Android/webbrowser called the "Grimoire"; whenever you do something cool in the game, it unlocks a card in your Grimoire, with a little chunk of plot/backstory related to what you did. So, if you do a bunch of poo poo in Destiny, and then read the backstory in the Grimoire, you'll think that the setting (and the limited story thus far) is pretty awesome. If you don't read that poo poo, then you're gonna think "story? what story? i just ran around and shot some mans."

#2: There's not nearly enough storyline content. If you blitz the main missions, you can probably run out of the story content in a weekend. If you sit down and do all the side quests and patrol missions and 3-man group content, it'll take you 2-3 weeks of evenings, and you'll hit the level cap along the way. But even that's not very long. Once you've done that, all that's left is PvP (which admittedly is pretty fun) and taking daily quests to replay those missions for better gear.

#3: Destiny's raid content is a lot of fun (holy poo poo how often do you hear that about an MMO), but much of the player base will never see it, for two reasons:

3a) There's no matchmaking in Destiny for raid content -- only for 3-man. So, you have to find a group through an out-of-game service (i.e. the SA Destiny megathread, or the Bungie forums, or etc) to run with. Most players just won't bother.

3b) Raid content has a gear check; even if you have a group willing to take you along on it, you can't even queue for the raid until you're at least level 26. (Destiny has a soft level cap of 20, and then you gain levels above that by obtaining and wearing gear that has a +level attribute on it.) So before you can even bother finding a group, you've gotta grind the content you've already done to get a set of entry-level raid gear so that you're allowed to queue for the raid.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Always down for more people to play with. http://steamcommunity.com/id/UllerRM

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

SunAndSpring posted:

I've got a good graphics card now, but I now have no idea what to play with it. Is FFXIV any good? Or how about Shadow of Mordor?

I can't comment on FF14 (honestly I haven't enjoyed most FFs past 9), but Shadow of Mordor is excellent.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

KoldPT posted:

Why would you?

Trust us: It's worth it. Hell, Wolfenstein:TNO was 44GB, and drat near everybody loved that game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Eye of Widesauron posted:

Stick of Truth is a great game and is worth playing even if you're not a fan of the series itself. The mechanics are fun and easy to pick up and it stands as a good game on its own.

You know, I enjoyed the poo poo out of SoT, but I don't know if I'd agree with this so much. I do think that it stands up as a good game on its own, and is worth playing, but there's plenty of things that suck about it.

* There's a ton of running around for quests.
* The combat is kinda meh. As funny as the attacks are, only having two party members to work with at a time was pretty garbage. Plus, even if you've powerleveled a bit, there's still a fair number of one-shot attacks, and it's just generally assumed that you're going to have revive/fullheal items because you're doing all the side quests.
* Most of the equipment doesn't actually make a gigantic difference in your stats; you care more about the slots that it has for the badges. Namely, because so many enemies have one-shot attacks (or at least "so much damage that you'll need to healpot next round"), you want weapons and abilities that can stun, which means putting elemental damage on everything.
* If you're an aspie completionist like me, there's a bunch of content that is only available in one-time areas; if you miss it, the only way to 100% the game is to restart it, when you're only an hour in. I missed one of the Chinpokomon in the UFO scene with Randy, and didn't realize it until the end of the game; my reaction was "welp, won't get 100% on this run, but can't be arsed to sink another 20 hours into it to replay it from the beginning."

At the same time, it was one of the better RPGs I played in 2014, because despite all of the above, it wasn't bad enough to offend me and make me stop playing -- plus, I like juvenile humor and casting fart-based magic, so the game was hilarious enough for me to keep going.

• Locked thread