Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Ddraig posted:

Dark Souls has a lot of really good "Well, I should have expected that, I guess that was entirely my fault" stuff like with the Taurus Demon. Most people will have the bright idea of climbing up and throwing stuff down at it, which works for a bit, then it will loving jump up and house you. It also has a ton of bullshit like the Capra Demon where you're likely to get murdered or stunlocked within seconds of entering the fog because there's no buffer at all, and even when you know what to do it will still give you problems because of the unpredictable nature of things.

I think the archers are bullshit, but it's fairly easy to rush up the stairs or at the very least dodge the Capra Demon's first attack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Well, I built a PC today. I'm scared to death that I hurt some of the stuff before I even got to use it; I had a hard time installing the heat sink to the motherboard and that little bracket thing you put on the back of the mobo got free once and swung around touching all sorts of poo poo, I messed up applying thermal paste the first time and had to rub it all of with a cotton swab and some isopropyl, dropped the hard drive on accident, and I'm paranoid that static got on it even though I used an anti-static bracelet almost the entire time. gently caress me, man, I need a drink. I'll feel terrible if I learn I broke everything when I boot it up tomorrow :(

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Pls don't bully.

Well, I plugged it into a monitor, and I'm not getting a boot screen. CPU fan and graphics card seem to be working fine, so I dunno what the problem is. Maybe it's because I'm using a lovely old monitor until my HD one ships, but I dunno.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Ciaphas posted:

did the mobo or case come with a PC speaker, beep codes can help tell if it's making it through POST

I don't think so, which is a bit annoying.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Would the CPU fan be working if the mobo was shorted?

Also, yeah I believe it has integrated graphics, but that wouldn't be a problem because I'm using the DVI port.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Ciaphas posted:

you would have plugged it in to the motherboard, probably near the CMOS battery, tiny little cylindrical thing with 2 wires

if you didn't get one I'd suggest picking one up, they're a couple bucks I think, then if you plug that in and get a beep code, look that up in your mobo manual

Alright, I think I'll just pull out the mobo, double check to see if I didn't do something dumb like leave a stand somewhere it shouldn't be, and hopefully get it working.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

chumbler posted:

This is going to sound incredibly stupid, but did you remember to put your memory in? I forgot to do that the first time I built a computer.

RAM's in. That's not the problem.

I'm seriously going out of my loving mind here. I saved up cash the entire year for this, and it won't loving work for some reason.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Well, unplugged the GPU and it seems the mobo and CPU work. That's reassuring, at least. I guess I need to buy a good monitor now and see if the GPU works.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Ahundredbux posted:

Beting this is it

Nope, just need a better monitor. I was planning on using some janky pre-HD one my parents had until next month, but I'm just gonna give up and get a 1080p one now. Don't even know why I didn't get one from the beginning. Sorry for being really annoying :(

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Ciaphas posted:

Was it another monitor, or did you unplug the video card and use the same monitor with the builtin graphics, or both?

Both. Figured out it was an issue of being unable to use the old rear end input from the old monitor with the video card, so I went out just now and got a new monitor, and it works.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I've got a good graphics card now, but I now have no idea what to play with it. Is FFXIV any good? Or how about Shadow of Mordor?

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Bought Shadow of Mordor. Why is the installation file so big. How am I gonna fit all this poo poo on my SSD? I wonder if I can just move poo poo I'm not using over to the hard drive until I want to use it or something.

Like seriously 37 loving gigabytes, what the Christ. Why would I want to download literally every loving audio file in every language this drat thing was dubbed in?

SunAndSpring fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Dec 29, 2014

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Ciaphas posted:

FF14 is good but it is also an MMO with just about all that that entails, so.

Shadow of Mordor is baller without caveat though

SoM does look pretty easy, but gently caress it, I've been playing STALKER all week, I could take a break from difficulty.

Now I just gotta figure out how to transfer poo poo from my SSD to my hard drive.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Stux posted:

you should've bought DA:I instead of shadow of mordor guy, SOM is really really easy and gets boring v quickly

Why would I ever buy something made by EA?

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

exquisite tea posted:

Sorry, I only give my money to Noble Multinational Corporation of the Light Valve instead of Evil Empire Electronic Arts. In addition, I am eight years old and like it when the train goes really fast like chugga chugga choo choo.

Why would I pay money to EA for a game that looks bad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

exquisite tea posted:

lovely combat is a hallmark of an Obsidian game, though.

They're really trying hard to make Pillars of Eternity's combat good, but I think that's an uphill battle considering it's Real Time with Pause. I personally would've just preferred having both RTwP and Turn Based toggles; you use Turn Based for the hard part of battles and RTwP for the clean-up or trash enemies who you can just murder with impunity.

• Locked thread