Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Falsum posted:

I've been playing the new Gauntlet and it's good so far. The Wizard is really rewarding to play.
What's it like playing solo? (I suspect "boring" but it can't hurt to ask...) I liked the original Gauntlet a lot but none of my friends have this reboot and my computer isn't really set up for local play very well.

Contest Winner posted:

Yo idiots tell me here too what game you want me to pick for that game of the month thread idea for December, otherwise I am just going to pick EYE Divine Cybermancy and you will have to spend the holidays being hacked by ATM machines and eaten by werewolves.
I'm going to be contrary and suggest Deus Ex... Invisible War, so we can have a nice interesting discussion on how everything went wrong with that drat game. :devil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Harlock posted:

I'm more upset there isn't a DXHR sequel yet.
It's in the works. Here's a screenshot of the new game engine, based on Hitman Absolution's.

The exact name isn't known yet, but it's part of something called "Deus Ex Universe", which basically means it'll be surrounded by books and poo poo in the same universe.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Widestancer posted:

It's telling that IW only has one texture mod worth using (and it's a decent one) and basically nothing else while Deus ex has a bazillion mods out there.

I only use the giant texture mod everyone does when I play it (with the fix that makes the UI not explode) but I hear there are some decent ones that change other stuff.
No official mod tools got released. Thief 3 got some, not sure what came of those, but DX2 never got any and nobody wants to go spelunking through file formats to any major extent and do things the hard way. Can you blame them?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Alain Post posted:

DXIW's engine was a complete dumpster fire too, so I can imagine that modding it might be frustrating.
Thief 3 used the same one. All I know of stuff that came of that was a mod that reduced load times by stitching maps together... but I don't really follow Thief so maybe someone made something amazing that justifies that game. Probably not, though.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Also, on the topic of terrible engines: The guys who bought 3D Realms a while back have been going through all the old backups and carefully archiving everything, and apparently the decision to scrap everything and bolt a Doom 3-style lighting engine onto a battered Unreal engine happened the same year DXIW - which made the same stupid mistake - got released.

Frederik Schreiber posted:

The First Build is the Sidescroller. The one afterwards is an old Quake 1 build, which is primarily using Quake 1 assets, and a few new Duke assets, before they switched to Quake 2. Purely for experimenting with BSP based leveldesign, and getting to know the Quake engine.

The switch from Quake 1 - 2 literally happened within months, so there isn't a lot of content in the Quake 1 builds.

Quake 2 also lasted briefly, and everything you see in the 1998 trailer is literally 90% of what was done. The announcement to switch to Unreal Engine, actually happened before E3 1998.

The first Unreal builds, also consisted primarily of Unreal 1 assets. In 99 they had early versions of a few levels, and weapons done, which resulted in the 99 screenshots. Afterwards development sped up, and in late 2002, the "DNF 2001" build was at it's best, before changing to a new dynamic lighting renderer, which focused on normal maps instead (Doom 3 style).

From then on, the game completely changed, and almost everything was scrapped in small segments. All levels turned out black, as a result of implementing a fully dynamic lighting engine (Just like Doom 3, and Deus Ex 2). Assets were added, replaced, and ultimately large parts of the game was completely scrapped and redone.

The 2002 - 2009 builds ultimately makes up the version of the game you guys know today.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Beef Waifu posted:

I bought an Xbone for 300 bucks and the only games I've got on it are D4 and Killer Instinct.
My friend has an Xbone and he refuses to shut the gently caress up about IDARB. It seems pretty fun from what I played at PAX, but come on!

I've since coaxed him into getting addicted to The Pinball Arcade instead, which is fun and cool and also multiplatform.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Beef Waifu posted:

I don't even know what IDARB is.
It's a local multiplayer platformer party game where you can draw your own character sprite in a web app and also it streams tweets with the game's name in it down the bottom of the screen.

In other words, I can guarantee you hate it sight unseen.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

univbee posted:

:10bux: says this makes the same mistake the RSA conference made and opens linked pictures sight unseen, and this feature will be shut down following a few goatse's. And then deactivate it entirely once it turns out half the tweets have rape threats and half have racial slurs.
They had the feature enabled on the PAX demo, it looked like a news ticker at the bottom of the screen. I didn't see any links or copious profanity, which means either there's some vague-ish attempt at filtering, they were using pre-collected tweets for the demo so they didn't have to connect to the jam-packed expo hall network, or the insidious beast that is the internet just hasn't caught on yet. Probably a mixture of all three, really.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Nippon Ichi should just give all their money to CAVE with the last will-style stipulation that it only get spent on shmups instead of F2P mobile treadmills. That way all the creepy nerds stay happy and safely indoors, and we get some awesome bullet hell games to play.

Please sign my internet petition, we can make this happen.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

icantfindaname posted:

why on earth would you think shmups are safe from creepy anime poo poo?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Touhou_Project

The Kins posted:

That way all the creepy nerds stay happy and safely indoors

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I'm more of a Link to the Past guy, but I didn't get Link's Awakening until the GBC re-release so it might just be a nostalgia thing. Like how I think Soul Calibur was the only good Dreamcast game because it was the first one I played at the time and never had access to any of the Capcom fighters.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Doom Goon posted:

Odd, I thought some older Thief 3 SDK worked partially (T3Ed?). I know there's an unofficial French text patch or something out there. I always wondered how they did it, actually, wish I knew.
A lot of the text in DX2 (at least for the holocubes or whatever) are just txt files, so that's that sorted.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Stux posted:

i never got why they made that hunters game for the old ds :(
Hunters was basically a tech demo to show off that the DS could do Fancy 3D Things and Wi-Fi Multiplayer Things, by NOA's dev studio instead of Retro.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Static Rook posted:

I picked up one of the 500GB super slim PS3s from a guy at work and couldn't figure out how to open the disc tray for like 5 minutes. I'm an old man and these space age kajiggers frighten me.
Heh. Discs. Heh. :smug:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I have some speedrunning marathon thing on my other monitor, and they're currently running a Dragon Ball game and Goku's name is spelled "Gokou" in the lifebar. Is my entire life a lie?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

hubris.height posted:

yeah i like to cut my megaten with etrian odyssey so that the high lasts longer
kawaiisenburg

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Scalding Coffee posted:

Not as good as Gok and Pico Jr., for one of those card games.
He played further and he's beaten up "KLILYN" and "JUCKIE-CHUN".

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

icantfindaname posted:

ahahhahaha i looked up megami tensei on wikipedia and its based on light novels

:unsmigghh:

*drifts further into anime coma*
Only the first one on the Famicom is, the rest are all origina--

oh no

has a trap been sprung

is this what it's like to be owned

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

hubris.height posted:

lol

yeah but the megami tensei light novels give a really solid foundation and context for the rest of the series which hasn't really changed its over arching themes in the last 20 years
To be fair I've only played SMT1 and it was the bugged translation hack that hosed the final dungeon scripting up so you could only get one ending, on an emulator that kept causing lockups.

I should probably grab the iOS port sometime. I remember hearing good things about that when it got English-ified?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

univbee posted:

Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2 HD were both released on PS3 at a point in time when Sony's policy was that all games would get Day 1 Digital releases, but neither of them did. :negative:
Day 1 Digital Unless The Mouse Looks Kind Of Disgruntled

A policy that has since been replaced with the new and improved Let's Spend Millions Of Dollars Localizing A Single Game That Will Sell Ten Copies policy.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

TheHoosier posted:

Adventure games are the poo poo. The King's Quest remakes, Journey, Dreamfall... all awesome games. I'm psyched about the new KQ game. It looks kinda platformy but I don't give a poo poo. Package a turd in a KQ box and I'll open it. MASK OF ETERNITY DID NOTHING WRONG
That trailer for the new King's Quest reminds me of Flashback and Another World.

There are worse fates for a series, I suppose.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

euphronius posted:

I've always been ashamed I don't really enjoy the dark souls games.
I took a long time to bother trying Dark Souls 1 because the fanbase around it really turned me off. Same thing with Everything Platinum Games Does.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Shindragon posted:

Kind of a dumb reason. I mean think the Dark Souls fanbase is probably one of the worst, but you shouldn't let that deter you from trying it. I mean worst off, just avoid the thread.

I mean I can't blame you considering the git gud scrub mentality the fanbase has.
Oh, I did eventually try it (and MG Rising) and I enjoyed it, I'm just saying the loud-and-obnoxious fanbase turned me off of it for quite some time until I watched a friend play a bunch of it.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Shindragon posted:

And yet I say, try Demon Souls if you haven't as well, that was what made me got into the series. I can't wait for Bloodborne.
I got a 360 instead of a PS3 that generation. Alas.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I've learned to accept that I am terrible at videogames and should just relax and take a break if I start getting pissy.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Whenever something mildly inconveniences me I smash the hell out of something in frustration. I crossed the rubicon and smashed something when I wasn't mildly inconvenienced and it's the only way I can communicate now. It's the only way I can feel.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas are both very good games. You should play 3 first, though, because New Vegas adds to everything 3 did (including being buggier than week-old poo poo).

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

hubris.height posted:

its kinda good that they haven't annualized releases of fallout, they skipped like two years now, right?
Making really big open-world RPGs takes a long time, even if it's built off the top of the last one and uses most of its assets. The Fallout 3 team did Skyrim, and they're probably doing Fallout 4.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Keeshhound posted:

Ubisoft would tell you otherwise.
Ubisoft has like 9200 staff at it's disposal. Bethesda as a whole numbers around 1000 at the most generous guess.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

hubris.height posted:

from software please make the following:

dune souls
monster rancher souls
mother souls

tia
I want to see Souls get annualized ala COD and Assassin's Creed, just for the internet reactions.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

Dark Souls, an okay game, but not as good as Gone Home or the ending to Mass Effect 3.
where do david cage games fit in your hierarchy

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

TheHoosier posted:

Dwarf Fortress loving sucks.
Its UI sure does, I don't think anybody sane's gonna deny that.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

TheHoosier posted:

This is probably a stupid question but I'm pretty unfamiliar with game-making process. Do they like, focus test game endings like some movie productions do? I've heard of plenty of movie endings getting changed to placate whiny focus groups, but do games do this too? Because c'mon man. C'mon. Whack.
Valve games are HEAVILY tested by throwing random passers-by, visitors from forums etc. at them and seeing what annoys them. This always invokes internet grumbling when the developer commentary brings up something that got changed (usually for the simpler-but-better) because of those goddamn idiot testers :argh:.

That's not necessarily plot, though. Usually it's game and level design.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Was there a game development thread at some point, other than the industry thread? Can't find it.
Making Games Megathread in Games

Game Development Megathread in Cavern of Cobol

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Red Suit posted:

I have a bias against MOBAs because instead of a new Legacy of Kain, we got a MOBA.
Would you play a Legacy of Kain game without Tony Jay?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

hubris.height posted:

AtluSmash would be the best thing
No items, Steven only, stairwell between dungeon floors.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

mr.capps posted:

Is this chat the place I will finally be accepted for my deep undying love fore the arcade classic Elevator Action?
The Game Boy version was fantastic because it had more weapons and enemies and nice clear graphics.

There was a sequel on Game Boy Color, with more playable characters and poo poo, but I think it got reskinned into a Dexter's Labratory game for the US...

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Ddraig posted:

If they just had original music tailored to the world and the universe they've decided to create it would go a long way to distracting people from the man behind the curtain pulling all the levers.
They do have original music, though, but it's the instrumental score stuff that plays when you're not in a vehicle, ala Red Dead.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

codenameFANGIO posted:

Replace the OG Playstation directional buttons with a real dpad and I am down with this. I like the owl eyes, I believe they can work. :shobon:
A new prototype drawing for Steam's Big Picture "controller configuration" screen floated into the beta client the other day. They've replaced the D-Pad with a 360-style analog stick and added D-Pad markings to the left touchpad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

hubris.height posted:

so who is going to look forward to nintendo making an ubisoft open world style game out of zelda

i bet it is very bad, but playable
It'll probably be pretty good but have at least one absurdly easy way to accidentally render your save broken and unwinnable like the last two Zelda games.

• Locked thread