Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Evil Eagle posted:

I keep buying every new Wii U game that comes out and I can't stop.

Been playing Captain Toad. GOTY. A fuckin adorable, challenging game that you should be playing already what the gently caress are you doing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

alcharagia posted:

Not having a Wii U :(

Do it now, do it yesterday. I've been going through the Wii games I missed as well. Probably gonna set up a stream and replay all the old 2D Castlevania games later after I finish Captain Toad, Pikmin 3, and DK.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Kewpuh posted:

Super Metroid is the greatest video game of all time and if you disagree with this then I will ban you

Link to the Past is cool too...?!

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Majora's Mask is pretty good tbh

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jr-nlhmJjY8

quintessential "poo poo just got real" music

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Super Mario RPG is the only good game with Samus in it.

Mod...sass?! SMRPG is pretty goddamn tits though, as is Paper Mario. Except Sticker Star. Never Sticker Star.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Stux posted:

i miss genesis/mega drive music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnslNk8HIaI

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Old rear end PC games are awesome too. Play some goddamn Arcanum, Games. Or Unreal Tournament. Deus Ex.

Morrowind Baldur's Gate II for Lord God King of RPGs

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Widestancer posted:

Deus Ex multiplayer is something we should attempt someday.

I distinctly remember lots of dragon tooth swords

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

precision posted:

Ninja edit: Diablo 3 on console is also the best Gauntlet game. My gf and I have a blast with it. Obv she rolls wizard and I get stuck with Monk

Roll a Crusader and hammerfuck everything to death while bemoaning your goofy religion

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

We can play Deus Ex multiplayer and have a running discussion about IW and how awesome the Omar were poo poo the game is.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Alain Post posted:

I was legitimately upset that DXHR was a prequel and didn't follow on the ending of IW where you kill all the faction leaders.

Definitely a better ending than PRESS BUTAN

Shame on you HR

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

I want more 2D platformers for this gen. Rayman Legends/Origins is loving amazing. New tech doesn't have to mean balls out 3D with lovely concrete and paper spectators. Sega Saturn and PS1 had incredible 2D games, as well as PS2. Shattered Soldier comes to mind immediately. The Strider remake. Ducktales. I haven't played it but Guacamelee gets love for being a Metroidvania, obviously people still like that poo poo.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Bass Bottles posted:

Peach's final smash in the new Wii U Smash Bros is animated sort of like Rayman Origins and I want a whole game of that really bad.

It's a shame Super Princess Peach was a misguided shitfest. I like to see Nintendo branch out a bit with their characters. At least we're getting another Yoshi game.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

exquisite tea posted:

I freaking love video games, and posting about video games and making jokes. It genuinely surprises me that many Games posters who presumably do the same thing as me for 12+ hours a day post insanely negative stuff all the time about how terrible games are. To me, they are all pretty good and I'm thankful to be living in a time period in human history where the coolness of video games has been realized, and I think we can all agree that the only truly bad games are Dark Souls and Obsidian's entire catalogue.

:crafty:

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Davincie posted:

does anyone want to play rise of nations with me ever. pubbies or whatever are very bad at it and constantly enforce dumb rules like low resources or other poo poo that makes the game very slow

I would if I wasn't at work. That game is fuckin awesome. We should all play Age of Mythology as well

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

2fort is perfect level design

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Pablo Gigante posted:

Super Mario 3D World, Smash, Bayonetta 2, Captain Toad, Mario Kart 8, Wind Waker HD, these are all games I wanna play and I wanna play em NOW

Not to mention Zelda U, Yoshi, Mario vs DK, and Starfox coming later. Gonna be a solid 2015 that's for true

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Is MMDOC actually good? I'm wary of CCGs in general. I enjoy Hearthstone a lot and love the M&M series, but I was afraid it was just a poo poo cash grab

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Dominoes posted:

Just bought The Talos Principle - high hopes.

Some adventure games that have come out recently like Broken Age and Dreamfall Chapters have been delightful, but the adventure game community's somewhat niche.

Adventure games are the poo poo. The King's Quest remakes, Journey, Dreamfall... all awesome games. I'm psyched about the new KQ game. It looks kinda platformy but I don't give a poo poo. Package a turd in a KQ box and I'll open it. MASK OF ETERNITY DID NOTHING WRONG

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

New Vegas is pretty amazing. Wander your happy rear end into deathclaw valley and don't come back until you've made the trek successfully

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Ddraig posted:

Virtually all of the truly great, or at the very least memorable, games that I have played have generally been ones that have divided opinions about them. Aiming for mass appeal just means that you're compromising something along the way to get the most people to like it. Not all people are the same, and not all people like the same things. There's a certain commonality among what people do like, but pandering to that just ends up being that - pandering.

Games like Deadly Premonition, Stalker, or other obscure often obtuse games are not everyone's cup of tea, but they don't have to be - provided they're aware of the audience they want and do things that will appeal to that audience they don't need mass appeal because you can't please everyone, so why even bother trying? I'd rather have a very deep, well crafted game that appeals to a niche audience than a shallow popcorn fest that appeals to everyone.

If a certain percentage of people don't like your game, you're probably not doing something right.

Game Informer does a 'Sacred Cow' article every so often where they take beloved games/franchises and just poo poo all over them, sometimes justified. Last month's issue had this and it banged on about Dark Souls, Mass Effect 2, Uncharted 2, etc. The criticism they spat, while hilarious, was sometimes pretty drat valid depending on the game. We should just have a thread where people are allowed to levy harsh words against popular titles without getting shouted down. Could be funny.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Stux posted:

while a good idea in theory such a thread would become terrible very quickly

Yeah probably. Such is Games.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Stux posted:

i cant even imagine it surviving after the first mention of say bioshock infinite or dark souls. it would be unrecoverable.

Bioshock Infinite was boring and pretentious though..

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Alain Post posted:

I don't really like that, picking an ignored game and promoting that is much more interesting than the millionth "Was Final Fantasy VII really that good" piece.

Yeah you're right. Like Stux said it would devolve into poo poo real quick. I just think it's funny to watch people be absolutely aghast that you think Dark Souls has clunky as gently caress combat and sacrifices legit compelling gameplay to take advantage of the masochist tendencies of sperglords.

SA has always been good about promoting hidden gems, in my opinion. I've tried out games I would have never thought to thanks to people actually speaking up about them.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Stux posted:

dark souls is good though

It is. That's the kind of poo poo those articles do, though. I think there was an issue a few years ago that shat all over Chrono Trigger, while offering disclaimer that they love the game and it's just for fun.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Alain Post posted:

That's clickbait, though. It'd be bad on a discussion board.

I'd expect SA to be a little better at it. You can be funny and still offer damning points for otherwise solid titles.

Dwarf Fortress loving sucks.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Alain Post posted:

It is undeniably whack, but a major-publisher game doing something that actually irrecoverably tears down the universe of an IP that could otherwise be milked for the next decade is very ballsy and admirable.

Which is why they took it back in the inexplicably well-received extended cut, and are now releasing a fourth game.

This is probably a stupid question but I'm pretty unfamiliar with game-making process. Do they like, focus test game endings like some movie productions do? I've heard of plenty of movie endings getting changed to placate whiny focus groups, but do games do this too? Because c'mon man. C'mon. Whack.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Alain Post posted:

They changed it post-release because everyone hated it. There were lots of reasons for this, some of which were valid (because, yeah, they were really poorly written in part), and some of which were silly, so I don't really want to like, generalize the response or anything.

Yeah I know that, I mean did they test the original ending with focus groups? The vanilla ending made it into release, whereas some movies had their ending changed before release due to test groups going :wtc:

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Zombie Samurai posted:

Story is the absolute last priority in 95% of all game development, and they're almost always developed in chronological order (early areas first, endgame last). So if your game is rushed, the ending is going to suffer the most.

Valve is the only company that does any kind of serious focus testing.

That makes sense. Must suck to be in game development, or at least far less awesome than it seems.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

VideoGames posted:

everyone does threads/articles where they poo poo on stuff. arent we tired of that? wouldnt it be far more interesting to read threads where people talk about games they like, no matter what game, if they gave full on proper reasons? wy we gotta be so negative? this life is great and there are so many games to enjoy

Well sure. I think Titanfall is a lot of goddamn fun. It's fast-paced and playing as a Titan is awesome when two of you meet in the middle, dash forward, and start punching the gently caress out of each other waiting for the execution sequence. Maybe it's not worth $60 but I've have nothing but a good time with it.

Edit: Also I guess they aren't everyone's cup of tea but most of the Paradox lineup is amazing. Crusader Kings, Victoria, Hearts of Iron... sometimes there's nothing more satisfying than winning an impossible war or replacing the Pope with a syphilis-ridden paranoid schizophrenic who is third-generation inbred. Sure it's just a lot of watching time go by and waiting for event windows to appear, but damnit they're amazing games.

TheHoosier fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Dec 16, 2014

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

CKII has a new expansion out which allows for more "role-playing elements" for all you sister-tumbling rulers out there :getin:

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

hubris.height posted:

i really like ck 2 i need to focus on learning to play it

i keep going into the learner scenario and ducking out halfway through and i guess quick save / auto save doesn't do it when you are in the learning scenario so i always have to start over

i'm really good at telling my ruler he wants to get married

It's kind of out-of-date but: http://lparchive.org/Crusader-Kings-2/

It doesn't include changes made by DLC or any of the new mechanics, but it's a really solid introduction to the core concepts. Give it a whirl and you'll be banging relatives and dropping cows into Hell in no time.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

THE PENETRATOR posted:

im playing battletower right now. im also playing the elder scrolls cell phone games.. suck my dick

On a fuckin' N-Gage or rooted device?

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

THE PENETRATOR posted:

in my heart, actually

don't mess with me like that, I thought someone had found a way to play those without touching the n-gage

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Eye of Widesauron posted:

Someone convince me not to be excited for GTA V coming out for the PC please.

You've likely played it at least thrice already

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Playin Metroid II for the first time ever. S'cool. I'm bad at it

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Hey guys Wasteland 2 is really good and there's no Kai Leng .

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Anyone have an opinion on Depth? Steam sale and apparently you can be a shark. Arousing stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Some nice goon needs to let me stay at their place after I go completely broke from yet another steam sale. Bought Dark Souls, all 3 Endless games, Papers Please, Wasteland 2, fuckin Euro Truck, Shadow Warrior, I'm buying poo poo I don't even remember buying.

make it stop

• Locked thread