Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010
This thread is about the horrors people encounter, when working retail. We all know someone who has worked retail and hell, some of us have even worked retail ourselves. It is a job that is full of horrors and dumb customers. They say that the customer is always right, but in this thread (the horror's of retail), we are not of that opinion. Rather, you might even say, that the customer is always a fright. Haha, that's just a bit of the old 'tail humor that you have to make use of just to get by. Because retail is soul crushing, and the horrors are everywhere. To get the ball rolling, I will start with my own story of working retail.

So I was putting myself through collage by working retail, this was me:

Haha, yeah, I was pretty clueless back then. Not now though. The trials of working retail have hardened me into a cool person, a real tough guy who gets laid a lot and would never work retail. Back then, however, hoh boy was I clueless. Not cool. I am cool now though.

This is me, first considering taking a job in retail. I seem to be thinking "hmmm, despite the horrors of retail I have heard about in places such as Richard Lowtax Kyanka's something awful forums, I wonder if a retail job might not be right for me anyway? Dumb gently caress. What did I know?

Okay, I seem to be saying here. I guess I will get a job working retail. How bad can it be? LIttle did I know, of the horrors of retail that awaited me. When I look at this mspaint of younger me, which I just painted, I truly want to grab that person by the shirt collar and shake him and scream: you fool do you not realize how horrible working a retail job is?????

I landed an interview in a store where I live. It was a retail store, which was perfect for my plans, which involved working in retail. I went to the interview, and the man who opened the door and asked me to come in, looked roughly like this. I am mspainting from memory, here, and also the memory of the horros of retail is triggering my ptsd so it is not accurate but rather an interpretation.

He was so angry, from the very start!! I did not know it at the time, but looking back, it seems obvious that in his own way he was trying to disuade me from the horrors of a retail job. He waved his yellow arms and showed me his teeth like a real angry dude.

But of course, like the idiot I was, I resisted his attempts to not give me a job, and made him give me a job, at the retail store. This is what it looked like:

It was not called the compliment emporium, but it was close. The first day was fine. I was taught how to use the register, and given several t-shirts. I met a colleague of mine whom I shall call REbecca, because that is her name. Ha ha.

The second day, confusion began:

And it quickly became worse, when one day when I was restocking the shelves, I was approached by not one, not two but THREE customers who were all up in my business.

:clint: (me): Greetings gentlement, welcome to the store. What can I help you with today? Be warned however, that in doing business with me, you are exposing yourself to potentially deadly levels of awesome customer care.
:stare:them: Welcome to horror retail, bitch.

Well, working in retail, I was prepared to deal with a few bad eggs. Most customers are really nice, like probably 98% of them are nice. But it's the 2% last percent that really get you. They're the ones who grind your bones and destroy your day. They are the ones you think about when you come home from work and try to relax with a cool JRPG that is not sexually deviant nor misogynistic.
Those last two percent of customers, who will do poo poo like this - this is literaelly what I one day came into work and saw happen, right there in the middle of the isle. The fuckers did nto even clean up after themselves. They just did that, and left everything a mess. And who had to clean it up? That's right, me: Minimalist Program. Clean up in isle six, my rear end:

Now, some people will tell you that the best part of working retail horror, is the colleagues. Which is right. Rebecca, for example, was pretty cool and would have given me her number if she hadn't had another boyfriend (the fucker worked in a competing store, but she did not care). But another colleague of mine was a real fucker. He was called Shawn. This is Shawn:

He was always late for work, and smelled weird. Also he spoke with a lisp and always hit on Rebecca, which was super creepy and I could tell she did not like it. Looking back, I'm p. sure he was a goon (but an old time GBS 1.0 goon, not like current goons which are better)

Shawn would leave notes on everything in the break room, and be a general nuisance. One day, he did this:

I just, I can't even... what do you even say.... n...no.. just no.... I don't even....

Customer care was bad enough, but things with Shawn got out of hand:

That was right before christmas, that he did this poo poo. I couldn't believe it. Shawn had basically pulled the most retarded stunt you could think of, RIGHT before the christmas rush, in a very busy retail store. Shawn was basically a sociopath. I have taken a Myers-briggs test and I am an INTJ which is very rare and very intelligent kind of personality type similar to Neo from the matrix, and Einstein. But Shawn was probably a Myers-briggs FUCKR, if anything. I called Rebecca several times and told her about how hosed up things were getting with Shawn, but she did not want to "stir the waters" or "Talk to me, ever" she said. So basically, Shawn had free reign. That's another horrible part of working retail. People like Shawn, those with low morals, always float to the top of the cess pool.

One day, I get this pic on my phone from Rebecca, with the note: you won't believe what the boss is telling us to stock by the reg-shelves. the "reg-shelves" are those shelves by the register that see a lot of impulse purchase action, as customers are waiting in line to purchase their goods. It's the primo spot in the entire retail store, and we were always excited to see what went on there at the beginning of each month when my yellow boss did the rearrangement and monthly briefing. Well, now my insane boss had decided to put these by the register. RIGHT next to where I worked. And of course, everybody had to ask the same question when they saw them. Thousands of lame customers with the same punny joke. Haha, it never got old. I won't even type it out here, it's so hashed out:

Finally, when I graduated college, I simply quit. The horros of retail were too much for me to bear. MY boss gave me a glowing recommendation, and I am dating REbecca today.. And as for Shawn? Well, heh, let's just say that the fucker got what he had coming, in the end....

Share your retail horror stories here!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

the real horror is you think retail is a real job lmao

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010
Please do not thrad poo poo on the horrors of retail megathread.

Electric Charity
Mar 22, 2009

quoted for truth

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Hey you know how some people have interesting or funny lives and should share them with other human beings who lack that experience?

If you work retail, that is not you.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
liberal arts is good....

...for stocking the shelves and making my coffee :twisted:

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

satanic splash-back posted:

Hey you know how some people have interesting or funny lives and should share them with other human beings who lack that experience?

butbut but MY STORY ABOUT THE FAT WHEELCHAIR BOUND WHO SHARTED ON THE FLOOR!

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010
I can't believe people are threadsitting an mspaint thread about the horror of retail....

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Minimalist Program posted:

I can't believe people are threadsitting an mspaint thread about the horror of retail....

ok, i just read it, sorry bro. it's a pretty dece thread, i give it 3.7981 out of 5. i hope to see more in the future

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009

satanic splash-back posted:

Actually working in retail is cool and prole as gently caress. I hope you die bourgeois scum.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Jim Barris posted:

Actually working in retail is cool and prole as gently caress. I hope you die bourgeois scum.

*flicks credit card down on your counter and looks away*

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi
this is the first time a thread had too many pictures for me to read it

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

You just gave me a great idea buddy.
disappointed op isn't replying to people with mspaint pictograms instead of words

Brute Hole Force
Dec 25, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I'd rather crowbar shoes on to a fat broad again over trying to read that.

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
nice jorts

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

op i always imagined that youre pretty much the same as a certain internet autist/math genius despite making fun of him and this thread did not dissuade me from that idea

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

Hey you know that one incomprehensible MSPaint of the goon pissing and making GBS threads himself above a bathroom? Let's make an entire thread like that with a thousand times the effort but minus the funny! Yellow people and dinosaurs and poop HAHA SO RANDOM LOL

Literal Carehaver
Oct 20, 2014

by Cowcaster
didn't read. you're a tryhard

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010
I can't believe my horrors of retail megathread is alreayd backfiring on me...

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Minimalist Program posted:

I can't believe my horrors of retail megathread is alreayd backfiring on me...
weve weakened him guys... next step is KILL him...

wit
Jul 26, 2011
People who work in retail make up all of their dumb stories to pretend they've won something instead of taking the same poo poo every day for years on end. I know I do, and the manager gave me a raise and everyone in the whole store applauded and I'm not lying.

Secks Cauldron
Aug 26, 2006

I thought they closed that place down!
This is awesome.

My retail horror story is that I'm still working retail and I'm thinking that I will never be able to leave. :smithicide:

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I thought it was funny and want more please.

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice
High five graduated college and escaped the Horrors of Retail bro. :):hf::)

I enjoyed your post because it was an accurate and poignant reflection on the experiences of a retail worker in western society.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
i tend to work retail often because i never did anything with my life so thanks for this cathartic thread op

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

im really excited about this thread! im just utterly ecstatic! im so thrilled im shaking in my computer chair!

im so exultant i cant even read the text!

Big Black Brony
Jul 11, 2008

Congratulations on Graduation Shnookums.
Love, Mom & Dad
"There's real money to be made in retail"- people stuck in retail.

Also I work it right now and ya p much blows hard.

Al Nipper
May 7, 2008

by XyloJW
If your retail stories don't start with 'I began the shift stoned/shitfaced out of my mind and didn't give a gently caress about anything' you're doing retail wrong.

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
i worked retail when i was a poor and a child

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

this is me at work

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010

Cyra posted:

i tend to work retail often because i never did anything with my life so thanks for this cathartic thread op

you're welcome, guy with a cartoon animal showing its butthole for an avatar.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
is this the benzo blackout walrus from tcc

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
lol if you need to work retail to feed your drug habit

whatis
Jun 6, 2012

Cyra posted:

wow nice av scum bag

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

drquasius
Dec 25, 2004
Let me tell you a story. Once I was working at a store that has a red bulls-eye as a logo, rhymes with smarget.

A guy walked up to me while I was stocking shelves and asked, "Hey, do you sell that thing I want"?

"Nope", I replied, "We do not sell that thing".

Then he went to another store. I felt really bad I could not meet his needs. For the thing. That he wanted.

ghlbtsk
Apr 19, 2005

these bath mats
are
GORGEOUS
The best part of this story was when Shawn floated to the top of the cess pool.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

SEAN AND REBECCA ARE VIDEO GAME CHARACTERS FROM THE POPULAR SERIES ASSASSINS CREED OP IS LYING LETS STAB HIS KIDNEYS

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

im pooping! posted:

SEAN AND REBECCA ARE VIDEO GAME CHARACTERS FROM THE POPULAR SERIES ASSASSINS CREED OP IS LYING LETS STAB HIS KIDNEYS

That might be a little extreme

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW

whatis posted:

wow nice av scum bag

i already had a meltdown about this in another thread but the short version is the guy that made a romhack of the game that features this sprite (yes sega put the butthole there) gave me this avatar when he offered to buy me one and i said "just surprise me with something"

i'm not a furry or a pedophile. i also don't feel the need to replace it much like how someone keeps redtext because it's funny and not worth spending money over. no one posting on something awful would purchase an avatar for themsleves to proudly proclaim HEY I LIKE ANIMAL BUTTHOLES :cmon:

• Locked thread