Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Didn't see a thread, so go ahead and discuss rectal feeding and water boarding in here.

http://www.intelligence.senate.gov/study2014/sscistudy1.pdf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Rectal feeding? What's that? I'm at work, so I'm a little hesitant to Google it.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Rectal feeding - good for both prisoners and presidents alike

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong
Some highlights, some are super :nms::

213: Email from: [REDACTED]; to: [REDACTED]; subject: Greetings; date: August 11, 2002, at 09:45AM.

treasured8elief fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Dec 10, 2014

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Ahahahahahahah after a few days of confinement and 24 hours of stress posture torture the CIA ascertains the prisoners are CIA moles who have been trying to get in touch with the CIA for months

America: If You Shoot For the Moon and Miss, Nail the Barn

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
So how is this report partisan, as morons on the right have been accusing?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
The two psychologists who studied torture techniques made $81 million. :stare:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
This is just the Month of Zero Accountability, isn't it? America: where an authority figure's right to swing his fist doesn't end anywhere at all

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
Incidentally, terms for the members of the Committee Against Torture at the UN, which monitors implementation of the Convention Against Torture, expire in 2015. The vice-chair (who I have no reason to have a problem with) is from the US.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

This is just the Month of Zero Accountability, isn't it? America: where an authority figure's right to swing his fist doesn't end anywhere at all

I only hope that it leads to some kind of new interest in politics, at the very least. Like, there's got to be a few people out there going, "How did we get here?"

The only way that a government can get to this sort of stage is if there's not a critical enough mass of people pressuring and monitoring their actions. There's been a mass disconnect of people from the whole idea of "politics" in general, and the government has taken good advantage of that, even in situations where its own actions are actively harmful to its continuity!

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Page 16 footnote says "Juma gul who was released with a payment of $[redacted] and other currency."

Is this saying they paid him off?

Lars!
Oct 22, 2010

Vermain posted:

I only hope that it leads to some kind of new interest in politics, at the very least. Like, there's got to be a few people out there going, "How did we get here?"

The only way that a government can get to this sort of stage is if there's not a critical enough mass of people pressuring and monitoring their actions. There's been a mass disconnect of people from the whole idea of "politics" in general, and the government has taken good advantage of that, even in situations where its own actions are actively harmful to its continuity!

Why should we plebs re-engage? When we do that, at best they ignore us, most likely gas/arrest/beat/charge us and seize our assets, and at worst kidnap and torture us. Unless you're really wealthy, at this point, it makes sense to keep your head down.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Willie Tomg posted:

Ahahahahahahah after a few days of confinement and 24 hours of stress posture torture the CIA ascertains the prisoners are CIA moles who have been trying to get in touch with the CIA for months

But my Tom Clancy fantasies....

:negative:

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Vermain posted:

Yes, I'm sure evidence piling on top of evidence that your vote doesn't mean jack poo poo will definitely get more people involved in politics.

Your cause and effect is reversed. People stop voting when they don't feel like their vote makes a difference.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Radbot posted:

Talks about things republicans and democrats have enacted and defended, ergo: partisan.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Funny to say about a government report outlining all this in plain view of the world.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Xandu posted:

Page 16 footnote says "Juma gul who was released with a payment of $[redacted] and other currency."

Or tipped him for taking it like a champ, yes.

Volkerball posted:

Funny to say about a government report outlining all this in plain view of the world.

Accountability directly connotates consequence. What do you seriously think will be the consequence of this? Who, anywhere, will do literally the first thing in response to the global military hegemon torturing people in black sites all over the world as part of a spurt of power projection which has destabilized the middle east in a way that hasn't been seen since the Ilkhanate, all initiated because a nonstate group blew up some buildings?

Willie Tomg fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Dec 9, 2014

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
The United States has perfected the police state. It openly admits to doing horrendous things and no one bats an eye.

Just go back to work and watch Big Bang Theory :cop:

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Willie Tomg posted:

America: If You Shoot For the Moon and Miss, Nail the Barn
This entire thing is a horrifying black comedy. Useless brutal Keystone Kops torture.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Volkerball posted:

Yeah, but what the government report details is that nobody has been in any way punished for any of this, and likely won't be. Not to make a cheap reference, but there ain't exactly an indictment coming out of this any time soon.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Xandu posted:

ahahaha the cia's policy of never revealing budget items extends to hush money

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Radbot posted:

Your cause and effect is reversed. People stop voting when they don't feel like their vote makes a difference.

Why do they feel that their vote doesn't make a difference?

Or, perhaps more importantly: What is the solution for this feeling?

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
The only internal solutions are prevented by the problem itself or actively support the problem. It will take external economic and diplomatic influences to change this.
He says to avoid being disappeared.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Yeah, but what the government report details is that nobody has been in any way punished for any of this, and likely won't be. Not to make a cheap reference, but there ain't exactly an indictment coming out of this any time soon.

Why would there be indictments? It was a government policy supported at all levels, even if the scale was unknown. They didn't just make this report for fun. Something can come of it in the future, and progress is being made on that front. When's the last time you saw north korea formally investigate its labor camps and release the report to the public?

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

The UN saying we're legally required to bring them to justice probably has something to do with the call for indictments

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
The UN needs an independent army. Preferably with cyborgs.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Radbot posted:

Probably because it points out that this was done under a republican president, and that would look bad.

Jerob
Mar 4, 2007

Volkerball posted:

Why would there be indictments? It was a government policy supported at all levels, even if the scale was unknown. They didn't just make this report for fun. Something can come of it in the future, and progress is being made on that front. When's the last time you saw north korea formally investigate its labor camps and release the report to the public?

I'm glad we're setting the bar firmly at "hey, at least we're not North Korea. Those guys are CRAZY"

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Volkerball posted:

This is an interesting perspective, I think: https://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/09/opinion/pardon-bush-and-those-who-tortured.html
It'll never happen, but still interesting.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Let's get real, no government anywhere is going to arrest itself because of the UN. The best we can hope for here is reform and transparency for the future, which isn't unlikely considering that the report really outlines how much of a failure the torture program was. Near useless for information, incompetently run, huge drain of money and effort. It's pretty clearly not the way forward no matter where you stand ideologically.

Iowa Snow King
Jan 5, 2008

Volkerball posted:

Let's get real, no government anywhere is going to arrest itself because of the UN. The best we can hope for here is reform and transparency for the future, which isn't unlikely considering that the report really outlines how much of a failure the torture program was. Near useless for information, incompetently run, huge drain of money and effort. It's pretty clearly not the way forward no matter where you stand ideologically.

If the purpose had been to get information, sure. To get vengeance, to terrorize perceived enemies, it did a perfectly adequate job.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Volkerball posted:

The CIA is notorious for dumb useless incompetent projects that are drains of money and effort.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Oh, you left out the part where [CIA OFFICER 1] literally got a cash bonus four months after that, for "consistently superior" work, and got to skip the practical portion of his formal interrogation certification thanks to his "past experience with interrogations".

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007
Indicting anyone in the state / defense departments or CIA for torture seems caught in an endless loop:

-Was it a top-down policy tacitly approved at all levels?
Then we can't blame the minions, and we'll never get anything meaningful leveled against the higher-ups. We should drop it.

-Was it done without the approval or complete knowledge of those at the top (Powell, Bush, Cheney?)
Then no one meaningful could be prosecuted. Why open old wounds and make ammo for the next political cycle? We should drop it.

I'm very pessimistic about any of this, but I support those who at least show up to these hearings and try to get the word out.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Volkerball posted:

We can still call for justice even if we have no realistic expectation of such.

And we already knew torture was useless, that didn't stop us. Consider it a symptom of how out of control the CIA and war machine are.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Volkerball posted:

Let's get real, no government anywhere is going to arrest itself because of the UN. The best we can hope for here is reform and transparency for the future, which isn't unlikely considering that the report really outlines how much of a failure the torture program was.

Uh, exactly what do you consider holding people accountable to entail, then? You seem to pretty much agree with the sentiment you were disagreeing with.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Cocoa Ninja posted:

Indicting anyone in the state / defense departments or CIA for torture seems caught in an endless loop:

-Was it a top-down policy tacitly approved at all levels?
Then we can't blame the minions,

the gently caress we can't

(I get where you're coming from, it wouldn't play well on CNN/FOX/etc)

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Oh, you left out the part where [CIA OFFICER 1] literally got a cash bonus four months after that, for "consistently superior" work, and got to skip the practical portion of his formal interrogation certification thanks to his "past experience with interrogations".

The bonus is pretty absurd, though I'm inclined to agree with the footnote that questioned the wisdom of punishing a junior officer, likely in his early 20s, while letting everyone else off that condoned it.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Also, according to the report, there was a lot of poo poo going on that wasn't being directly monitored or controlled by CIA HQ, let alone the White House or Congress. I think it's perfectly acceptable to hang policy-makers both for specific policies and for failure to maintain oversight and control of those who wound up actually committing torture, and to hang those who were actually committing torture.

But then, I'm unpatriotic like that, because accountability is un-American!

(God, I feel like that line I stole from an old Bloom County comic should be run into the ground by now, but it just always feels so perfectly apt and satisfying to say.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

eviltastic posted:

Uh, exactly what do you consider holding people accountable to entail, then? You seem to pretty much agree with the sentiment you were disagreeing with.

We are holding the policy accountable for what it's side effects and consequences were, instead of just saying hooah, torture owns. The policy is on trial, not the people who were responsible for it. That's still really important. Even more so actually. Throwing someone in prison isn't going to un-waterboard anyone, but we can call for steps to prevent it from happening to others in the future, and now is the time to do that.

• Locked thread