Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Rand alPaul posted:

I find it very difficult to believe the president couldn't close Guantanamo Bay if he wished to. It's an illegal operation in a foreign country run by dubious intelligence services and the military. I don't think there's a clause in the constitution assigning those powers exclusively to the legislative branch.

The problem is where to put the people in it. No one wants them, sending them back where they came from is a death sentence and the president is specifically barred from bringing them into the US unless he does some weird financial fuckery by attaching the cost to fees or something. It's basically just sitting there as we bribe minor nations to take some of the prisoners off of our hands. Like I guess if you just labeled the prisoners non-persons and left them sitting on a patch of dirt in Cuba we could have it wrapped up in a week, but outside of that it's difficult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

The problem is where to put the people in it. No one wants them, sending them back where they came from is a death sentence and the president is specifically barred from bringing them into the US unless he does some weird financial fuckery by attaching the cost to fees or something. It's basically just sitting there as we bribe minor nations to take some of the prisoners off of our hands. Like I guess if you just labeled the prisoners non-persons and left them sitting on a patch of dirt in Cuba we could have it wrapped up in a week, but outside of that it's difficult.

Like, we've managed to do something with ~600 of our Guantanamo prisoners, of those left we've chosen about 50 who we will hold 'indefinitely' and we just haven't decided on ~90.

If we will not give our ~140 prisoners a trial or even charges, and if we cannot return them to their homes, I would rather we give them US citizenship and release them absolutely freely into America, with a large compensation payout, than keep them locked away. At the moment we are pretty much waiting for them to just disappear so we can finally just forget about them, and such a thing is unconscionable to me.

treasured8elief fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Dec 15, 2014

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
This whole situation makes a certain post made in the Feminism thread (RIP) look tragically hilarious in retrospect:

"Rhonyn Peacemaker posted:

It is entirely simple. The United States' Technological, Cultural, Economic and Militaristic superiority grants it the right and privilege to be a normalizing force. The exportation of western culture and English as the language of business is simply our harbingers of this process. It shouldn't be a surprise to anyone that the societal norms in America get to be held aloft because of our position of superiority, not out of nationalism or jingoism, but because of the objective analysis of our culture versus those that may attempt to pass judgement on us. Those that would judge us as an inferior culture have, definitively, atrocious behaviors and barbaric treatment of people in their population.

If the society in the US deems that change will occur, then change will happen. As it stands, because of robustness of our constitution and bill of rights, we have the ability to change our societal norms unlike in many other countries where religious norms trump personal rights. I anticipate the continued progress in the USA to move the country slowly, but surely, further to the middle, as the third and developing world is pulled, kicking and screaming, into the 21st century.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

my dad posted:

This whole situation makes a certain post made in the Feminism thread (RIP) look tragically hilarious in retrospect:

Someone believes that USA is still the Police of the globe (just don't look too closely at its own Police).

On a different note, Canada is still happily using the information provided by the CIA and their torture program. Just shows that we have no issues with the "benefits" of torture, we just refuse to do it ourselves. And the federal government is currently pretending that we're not complicit in this in any way.

quote:

Canadian agents may not have physically participated in CIA torture tactics, but Stephen Harper's claim that Canada played no role whatsoever misrepresents our relationship with U.S. spies, say a number of security analysts.

Badera
Jan 30, 2012

Student Brian Boyko has lost faith in America.

my dad posted:

Oh hey, look, a real live Nazi.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Anubis posted:

Closing Gitmo was specifically banned by congress in such a way that Obama literally had no choice in the matter. Again, there are things to insult the man on but Gitmo really isn't one of them unless you somehow think he should have vetoed the spending bill and sent the country into default.

Did Congress make him triple the number of people held in Bagram too?

Guantanamo still has a black site. Lawyers and NGOs still do not have proper access to people held in Guantanamo. These people still don't get proper trials. Based on the facts, am I really to conclude there is not currently torture going on in Guantanamo?

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

quote:

objective analysis of our culture
:lol:

back to reddit with you

e: wow there are some obtuse morons in that thread, wish I'd seen it when it was live

rockopete fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Dec 15, 2014

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Pfft, you don't even get to the good part. Like how there was standing orders after some soldiers were killed to slaughter any male above the age of ten in the area.

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Dec 15, 2014

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

ITT Americans realise THEY are now the British Empire, enjoy you rebellious rascals.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

nopantsjack posted:

ITT Americans realise THEY are now the British Empire, enjoy you rebellious rascals.

Nah, they pussied out of doing it properly. You think the Empire would have withdrawn from the Philippines?

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Party Plane Jones posted:

Pfft, you don't even get to the good part. Like how there was standing orders after some soldiers were killed to slaughter any male above the age of ten in the area.

Haha. It is good to see that we are sticking to our historical principles in Iraq and Afghanistan.
Any male out of diapers is a potential enemy, shoot to kill. :suicide:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

The man is an utter sociopath.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Anubis posted:

I notice you like selective quoting to try and make it seem like I didn't know an unrealistic option of vetoing the already contentious spending bill existed. But hey, the tens of thousands that would likely die in the economic turmoil of a US default is just the price of moral high ground, right? Seriously, hate him for the reasons you should but the man did spend more political capital trying to close gitmo than any other national politician that I'm aware of, even if that isn't a high bar to step over.
Sorry, I should have been clearer. Obama didn't need to veto anything to close Guantanamo. Closing Guantanamo is something the President has stroke of the pen authority to do. Congress made it so that these prisoners can't be transferred to the US, but that is not a necessary condition of closing the prison. Also the notion of spending political capital (on a failed plan especially) is stupid, if from office you can't accomplish good things, then possessing the office is worthless.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

mcmagic posted:

The man is an utter sociopath.

I'm looking forward to all the major candidates getting asked similar questions.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I'm looking forward to all the major candidates getting asked similar questions.

Republican primary cheering the torture of innocents. That should be fun.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

twodot posted:

Sorry, I should have been clearer. Obama didn't need to veto anything to close Guantanamo. Closing Guantanamo is something the President has stroke of the pen authority to do. Congress made it so that these prisoners can't be transferred to the US, but that is not a necessary condition of closing the prison.

To close the prison you need to put the prisoners somewhere else. Nowhere else was (immediately) available.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

computer parts posted:

Nowhere else was (immediately) available.

For six years (and still counting)?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

spacetoaster posted:

For six years (and still counting)?

We've dumped off tons of prisoners in the intervening 6 years, just not all of them (and then there's some we don't want to release).

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

computer parts posted:

To close the prison you need to put the prisoners somewhere else. Nowhere else was (immediately) available.
This also isn't true. You can just stop being a prison. Obviously it's not ideal to be stuck on base with no available transportation, but there is absolutely nothing forcing us to keep those people in cells. I also suspect that options for places to go will open up if we say "We shouldn't have put those people in prison, also they are not in prison anymore".

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

computer parts posted:

We've dumped off tons of prisoners in the intervening 6 years, just not all of them (and then there's some we don't want to release).

What is "tons"?

There are 30 that have been cleared for release by Obama's own team of investigators that have yet to be released.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

spacetoaster posted:

What is "tons"?

There are 30 that have been cleared for release by Obama's own team of investigators that have yet to be released.

Estimates I've seen are about 750 total prisoners (or since 9/11 anyway), and a report had about 550 there as of mid 2006. I don't believe the exact number was known when Obama took office but it's around 140 now (counting the ones we don't want released).

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

twodot posted:

This also isn't true. You can just stop being a prison. Obviously it's not ideal to be stuck on base with no available transportation, but there is absolutely nothing forcing us to keep those people in cells. I also suspect that options for places to go will open up if we say "We shouldn't have put those people in prison, also they are not in prison anymore".

Just leave the gates open one night with a truck idling in the driveway, map to Havana in the driver's seat. Problem solved.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

computer parts posted:

Estimates I've seen are about 750 total prisoners (or since 9/11 anyway), and a report had about 550 there as of mid 2006. I don't believe the exact number was known when Obama took office but it's around 140 now (counting the ones we don't want released).

Well, that's something, at least.

I still want the place shut down. If there isn't even enough evidence for a show military trial, why are we keeping them?

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

spacetoaster posted:

I still want the place shut down. If there isn't even enough evidence for a show military trial, why are we keeping them?
Assuming the government isn't run by literal super villains, presumably they have evidence which would get thrown out at trial (torture coerced confessions), not that they literally have no evidence.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

twodot posted:

Assuming the government isn't run by literal super villains

:stonk:

Do you read the news? We're sitting at about a 50 to 1 ratio for innocents killed vs terrorists with drone strikes alone right now. And we've sent thousands of troops back to Iraq with more on the way.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

The US government (specifically our intelligence services) is certainly run by villains, they just aren't super.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

spacetoaster posted:

:stonk:

Do you read the news? We're sitting at about a 50 to 1 ratio for innocents killed vs terrorists with drone strikes alone right now. And we've sent thousands of troops back to Iraq with more on the way.

Still better than Dresden!

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

spacetoaster posted:

If there isn't even enough evidence for a show military trial, why are we keeping them?

Because we are a horrible country and Obama can't just wave his pen and move them somewhere else.
Seriously, we are a horrible country and the majority of people want us to anal rape them all day every day. These horrible people elect representatives that agree with them so we have a lot of anal rape. I can't wait for the videos. You know there are videos.
Democracy works!

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Point: The CIA should be disbanded.

Counterpoint: ???? Is there one?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

mcmagic posted:

Are freedoms? Terrorism! Sleeper cell over there not over here, enhanced interrogation? Protecting freedom "necessary evil" what about the guilty we released.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

Are freedoms?

Hole in one. :hfive:

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

mcmagic posted:

Our intelligence capability! :qq:

Also the NSA would become ridiculously bad.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Pohl posted:

Because we are a horrible country and Obama can't just wave his pen and move them somewhere else.
Seriously, we are a horrible country and the majority of people want us to anal rape them all day every day. These horrible people elect representatives that agree with them so we have a lot of anal rape. I can't wait for the videos. You know there are videos.
Democracy works!

Actually, the CIA destroyed those videos during the whole scuffle with Feinstein's committee.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

mcmagic posted:

Most countries need intelligence agencies, especially countries as big and powerful as the States. The question is whether the CIA is so irreparably broken that you should just burn the whole thing down and start again.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Darth Walrus posted:

Most countries need intelligence agencies, especially countries as big and powerful as the States. The question is whether the CIA is so irreparably broken that you should just burn the whole thing down and start again.

There's also the real question of whether the CIA can actually be shut down. Reading Killing Hope one gets the idea they're some sort of autonomous narco-arms cartel.

Badera
Jan 30, 2012

Student Brian Boyko has lost faith in America.

Darth Walrus posted:

This type of poo poo is a feature, not a bug :ssh:

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

twodot posted:

Assuming the government isn't run by literal super villains, presumably they have evidence which would get thrown out at trial (torture coerced confessions), not that they literally have no evidence.

Your secret evidence example is a torture coerced confession? :what:

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

I know it shouldn't, because the CIA being composed of awful sociopaths is nothing new, but this whole memo has me feeling legitimately down. Maybe a small part of me believed (wanted to believe?) that we still counted as a somewhat enlightened nation?

I can't wait for the media to start using the cafe siege in Australia as proof positive that torture should be used to protect us :suicide:

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

PhilippAchtel posted:

Your secret evidence example is a torture coerced confession? :what:
That seems most likely to me given what we know. There's obviously other ways to gather inadmissible evidence, they probably also have some hearsay evidence where they can't or aren't willing to produce the actual person for testimony. I'm unclear on the admissibility of evidence gathered without a warrant/probable cause oversea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

twodot posted:

That seems most likely to me given what we know. There's obviously other ways to gather inadmissible evidence, they probably also have some hearsay evidence where they can't or aren't willing to produce the actual person for testimony. I'm unclear on the admissibility of evidence gathered without a warrant/probable cause oversea.

I think the issue that you may be missing is that the reason evidence obtained through torture is not admissible in court is because it isn't actually evidence.

• Locked thread