Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

This is just the Month of Zero Accountability, isn't it? America: where an authority figure's right to swing his fist doesn't end anywhere at all

I only hope that it leads to some kind of new interest in politics, at the very least. Like, there's got to be a few people out there going, "How did we get here?"

The only way that a government can get to this sort of stage is if there's not a critical enough mass of people pressuring and monitoring their actions. There's been a mass disconnect of people from the whole idea of "politics" in general, and the government has taken good advantage of that, even in situations where its own actions are actively harmful to its continuity!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Radbot posted:

Your cause and effect is reversed. People stop voting when they don't feel like their vote makes a difference.

Why do they feel that their vote doesn't make a difference?

Or, perhaps more importantly: What is the solution for this feeling?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Trabisnikof posted:

Right, so why are you punishing some poor med-tech (who threw up afterwards btw and only did it for god and country) for what the leadership of the CIA did? The med-tech didn't know the DoJ had been lied to. Etc etc.

Do you believe that prison guards at Nazi concentration camps deserved to be prosecuted? Why or why not?

To make my point more bluntly: I don't give a loving rat's rear end what deep, inner feelings went on inside of someone committing torture. They committed torture and are deserving of just punishment.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Dec 11, 2014

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Darth Walrus posted:

So what interrogation methods are actually effective for extracting information, if I may ask?

As mentioned above, rapport-building and conversational sleight-of-hand (cold reading, etc.).

• Locked thread