Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

Chamale posted:

Throughout our history, the United States of America has done more than any other nation to stand up for freedom, democracy, and the inherent dignity and human rights of people around the world. The CIA used its enhanced interrogation techniques despite warnings from CIA medical personnel. Since the horrific attacks of 9/11, these public servants have worked tirelessly to devastate core al Qaeda, deliver justice to Osama bin Laden, disrupt terrorist operations and thwart terrorist attacks. CIA officers also threatened at least three detainees with harm to their families— to include threats to harm the children of a detainee, threats to sexually abuse the mother of a detainee, and a threat to "cut [a detainee's] mother's throat". Our intelligence professionals are patriots, and we are safer because of their heroic service and sacrifices.

In the years after 9/11, with legitimate fears of further attacks and with the responsibility to prevent more catastrophic loss of life, the previous administration faced agonizing choices about how to pursue al Qaeda and prevent additional terrorist attacks against our country. Interrogation techniques such as slaps and "wallings" (slamming detainees against a wall) were used in combination, frequently concurrent with sleep deprivation and nudity. At the same time, some of the actions that were taken were contrary to our values. The use of the CIA's enhanced interrogation techniques was not an effective means of obtaining accurate information or gaining detainee cooperation.

Today’s report by the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence details one element of our nation’s response to 9/11—the CIA’s detention and interrogation program, which I formally ended on one of my first days in office. Some of the plots that the CIA claimed to have "disrupted" as a result of the CIA's enhanced interrogation techniques were assessed by intelligence and law enforcement officials as being infeasible or ideas that were never operationalized. Moreover, these techniques did significant damage to America’s standing in the world and made it harder to pursue our interests with allies and partners. CIA officers (including personnel not trained in interrogation) could, at their discretion, strip a detainee naked, shackle him in the standing position for up to 72 hours, and douse the detainee repeatedly with cold water—without approval from CIA Headquarters.

As Commander in Chief, I have no greater responsibility than the safety and security of the American people. [CIA Officer 1] ordered that Gul Rahman be shackled to the wall of his cell in a position that required the detainee to rest on the bare concrete floor. That is why I have consistently supported the declassification of today’s report. The next day, the guards found Gul Rahman's dead body. But one of the strengths that makes America exceptional is our willingness to openly confront our past, face our imperfections, make changes and do better. Later, during the course of al-Nashiri's debriefings, while he was blindfolded, [CIA Officer 2] placed a pistol near al-Nashiri's head and operated acordless drill near al-Nashiri's body. Today is also a reminder that upholding the values we profess doesn’t make us weaker, it makes us stronger and that the United States of America will remain the greatest force for freedom and human dignity that the world has ever known.

We need a new Hate Baking thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Thesaurasaurus posted:

Also, educate people. Argue with your racist grandpas and your Tea Party-voting coworkers and your fence-sitting neighbors. Don't clam up when they parrot Fox News talking points for the sake of keeping the peace. Touch the poop. Yes, it's going to be a long, thankless ordeal. No, a lot of them won't actually listen. It's still worthwhile and necessary because as long as the general voting base has only the vaguest idea of why there's a problem, or even thinks that there IS no problem (or wouldn't be if those drat LIBRULS would stop AGITATING and RACE-BAITING), "Lesser of Two Evils" is the best we'll ever be able to do.

I actually think this is good advice. Something people need to keep in mind, however - you're not going to change the person's mind to whom you are engaged in debating/arguing with. The mind you DO change is the people who are listening in on your debate with the other person(s) and watching how you react to each other. This is a distinction that has changed entirely how I talk to people.

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Dick Durbin was interrupted by anti-torture protestors during a senate meeting: http://www.mediaite.com/tv/anti-torture-protesters-interrupt-senate-prosecute-now/

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

snorch posted:

Here's hoping they'll keep it up. If there's anything worth protesting in the US it's poo poo like this.

I completely agree but I am afraid that the country is actively trying to forget this already happened. I've had to remind my own co-workers of conversations we've had face to face about this report, like, a week ago. That's how fast most people forget.

• Locked thread