Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Oh, you left out the part where [CIA OFFICER 1] literally got a cash bonus four months after that, for "consistently superior" work, and got to skip the practical portion of his formal interrogation certification thanks to his "past experience with interrogations".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Cocoa Ninja posted:

Indicting anyone in the state / defense departments or CIA for torture seems caught in an endless loop:

-Was it a top-down policy tacitly approved at all levels?
Then we can't blame the minions,

the gently caress we can't

(I get where you're coming from, it wouldn't play well on CNN/FOX/etc)

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Also, according to the report, there was a lot of poo poo going on that wasn't being directly monitored or controlled by CIA HQ, let alone the White House or Congress. I think it's perfectly acceptable to hang policy-makers both for specific policies and for failure to maintain oversight and control of those who wound up actually committing torture, and to hang those who were actually committing torture.

But then, I'm unpatriotic like that, because accountability is un-American!

(God, I feel like that line I stole from an old Bloom County comic should be run into the ground by now, but it just always feels so perfectly apt and satisfying to say.)

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Volkerball posted:

We are holding the policy accountable for what it's side effects and consequences were, instead of just saying hooah, torture owns. The policy is on trial, not the people who were responsible for it. That's still really important. Even more so actually. Throwing someone in prison isn't going to un-waterboard anyone, but we can call for steps to prevent it from happening to others in the future, and now is the time to do that.

If we refuse to punish anyone, then everyone at CIA/military/wherever will just happily do whatever the gently caress they want to whoever they want, because they know we'll just smile and sweep it all under the rug and promise to do better next time.

Do better at preventing anyone from finding out about it in the first place, that is.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

TEAYCHES posted:

I voted for Obama twice.

So yeah, this isn't worse than anything else. Carter hosed up South America too in his term.

Let me have my moment. I feel partly responsible for this torture.

But maybe I shouldn't now because I'm pretty sure this isn't a democracy? IDK, lmao.

Ha ha, you voted for Obama after he explicitly refused to investigate (let alone prosecute) exactly what this report is about.

• Locked thread