Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Jagchosis posted:

i know you're trolling but it's so removed from the realm of possibility that anyone could believe this it lacks punch

He's not trolling. He's posting from a happier universe. :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ActusRhesus posted:

so supporting prison sentences for murder = supporting anal hummus smoothies.

Got it.

Well, when you consider what the US prison system's like, it's honestly not that far off.

Fox does make a compelling argument about this whole torture thing, though.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
So where was the money in all of this? I'm assuming one of the major reasons why this poo poo got so bad is because the people in power were making an absolute killing from it, but what were the most likely mechanisms and who was most likely to be profiting? Did they just straight-up skim off the top, or did the people this was contracted out to have some very important shareholders?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Shbobdb posted:

So, how would someone apply for a job at one of these CIA torture sites? How do you get yourself in that situation? If we're going to have an evil gravy train, may as well be on it!

According to the report snippets, try being a convicted rapist.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Papercut posted:

On the News Hour today, their guest objected to the term "torture" so for the rest of the discussion both sides referred only to "EITs" (enhanced interrogation techniques). :cool: Awesome work NPR.

Should have gone "OK, how about 'rectal feeding' instead?". Because Jesus Christ, guys.

In fact, I'm not sure there are many defences for the CIA's actions that can't be countered by repeating 'rectal feeding' over and over.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Kazak_Hstan posted:

Has anyone heard any media outlet call this rape yet? I've only seen it referred to as rectal feeding so far, which is approximately the same thing as calling it EIT instead of torture.

I some ways, I think rectal feeding is the better term. I mean, yes, rape is a powerful, emotive term, but shunting entire meals up someone's rear end to gently caress up their digestive system somehow seems even more horrifying, and the more precise 'rectal feeding' seems to better encapsulate what made it special. 'Anal food rape', maybe?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Boris Galerkin posted:

Why torture when they can just straight up kill people?

The CIA can kill people too. Doesn't stop them shoving salad up people's asses.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
So what interrogation methods are actually effective for extracting information, if I may ask?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

mcmagic posted:

Point: The CIA should be disbanded.

Counterpoint: ???? Is there one?

Most countries need intelligence agencies, especially countries as big and powerful as the States. The question is whether the CIA is so irreparably broken that you should just burn the whole thing down and start again.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Rand alPaul posted:

11% of Americans are cool with anal rape and 30% are cool with threatening to rape their family members.

Not a rape culture, though!

11% are cool with raping someone by pumping Greek salad into their rear end until their bowels rupture. I suspect the percentage who are OK with plain ol' vanilla rape (not rape involving vanilla... I hope) is significantly higher. I mean, consider all those tasteless jokes about prison rape.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Jack Gladney posted:

Please tell me it was somebody's teenage son who got scooped up off of a soccer field or something.

Worse - the guy was 'intellectually challenged'. So they literally kidnapped and tortured someone's little brother with Down's Syndrome to get some extra leverage over his family.

The poor bastard probably didn't have the slightest idea what was happening to him other than it being painful and scary. :smith:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Dr Christmas posted:

The poll Washington Post did shows that 59% support it. It shows Christians supporting it more than non-Christians.

Millions of people considered Jesus suffering on the cross, and thought to themselves, "Yep, we should do that to people."

It's called Good Friday for a reason. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Jack Gladney posted:

They spent like 15 years secretly drugging people in American brothels and prisons and ivy league schools, so yeah they pretty much do whatever they want and kill people who get in the way.

Drugging them for a purpose, or just going "Hey, you know what this person needs? More drugs!"

what i'm looking for is a way to get the cia to inject me with secret free drugs

• Locked thread