Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Volkerball posted:

Why would there be indictments? It was a government policy supported at all levels

It's incredible how you think this rationale, while accurate, is defensible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Volkerball posted:

We are holding the policy accountable for what it's side effects and consequences were, instead of just saying hooah, torture owns. The policy is on trial, not the people who were responsible for it. That's still really important. Even more so actually. Throwing someone in prison isn't going to un-waterboard anyone, but we can call for steps to prevent it from happening to others in the future, and now is the time to do that.

Prosecuting a hitman won't bring his victims back to life, either. Let's not prosecute hitmen or the mafia dons who hire them, let's just make sure they never do it again by writing down some more superfluous laws we have no intention of enforcing or punishing anyone for breaking.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Volkerball posted:

I'm not saying it's justifiable, I just think it's a minor aspect that would take a tremendous effort to push against. It would require basically the entire torture argument to revolve solely around whether or not X should be going to jail instead of, you know, preventing torture, for anything to be accomplished on that front. Pick your battles.

It is well-established in legal theory that a primary purpose of punishing criminals is deterrence, and how are we going to credibly say that we are preventing torture when there is no reason to believe that people ordering or perpetuating torture will be prosecuted in the future?

I mean, if you want say it's pointless to talk about because it won't happen, fine, but don't piss on my face and tell me it's raining.

Tezzor fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Dec 10, 2014

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
[/

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
If you want evidence that torture produces bad intelligence note the disclosure from this very report that the Iraq War was predicated at least partially on bad intelligence gained by torture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Debate and Discussion: We Threatened to Rape Some Folks' Moms

• Locked thread