Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IAMNOTADOCTOR
Sep 26, 2013

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Probably an obvious question, but is there any reason to perform the whole "rectal rehydration" procedure besides being able to laugh about how you just funneled a bunch of hummus up some guy's rear end?

Proctoclysis is incredibly rare in medical practice as far as I am aware. It's used in some developing countries if IV is unavailable and/or malnutrition is not treatable in any other way. Proctoclysis is sometimes used on severe burn patients where IV fluid replacement is less feasible ( go find a vein between al those burns).

This is not a routine medical procedure, even if it is used on medical grounds in no way does it consist of grounding up dinner an administering the paste rectally. The only reason this was done I can think of is as a shame inducing tool. I sincerely hope that no MD would support this practice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IAMNOTADOCTOR
Sep 26, 2013

Xandu posted:

I hate to sound like a neocon here, but what was the Senate's rationale for not actually interviewing anybody? Seems like an odd decision unless nobody at the CIA or in the White House/DoJ was willing to talk.

"Investigators were not permitted to speak to the CIA interrogators because of concerns about disrupting a Justice Department inquiry then underway. Republicans on the committee withdrew from participating in the study because of the criminal inquiry."

Source: http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-fg-torture-report-20141210-story.html#page=1

IAMNOTADOCTOR
Sep 26, 2013

I might be the only ill informed person in this thread, but the wikipedia list of Guantanamo detainees horrified me with how wide spread the complete incompetence was of all those involved with this operation. I'd like to share this with you all.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Guantanamo_Bay_detainees

Some choice quotes:

Adnan Farhan Abd Al Latif: Arrested in 2002 while travelling from Yemen to Afghanistan to find medical care for ongoing neurologic issues resulting from a 1994 car crash because he was too poor to pay for it, cleared for release in 2006, 2008 and 2009 but held until 2012.

During the three years in which {he} had been held in total isolation, {he} had been subjected repeatedly to stress positions, sleep deprivation, blaring music, and extremes of heat and cold during interrogations.

Surely, these "temporary inconveniences" delivered to a man cleared for release did not do any permanent harm?

Falkoff recalled, “he was the guy that we tried unsuccessfully to get medical records for, and a blanket and mattress, after we found him lying on the floor of our interview cell, weak and emaciated."Latif "would smear his excrement on himself, throw blood at his lawyers, and on at least one occasion was brought to meet his lawyer clad only in a padded green garment called a 'suicide smock' held together by Velcro."

On September 10, 2012, Latif escaped Guantanamo by successfully committing suicide, after many previous unsuccessful attempts, including one attempt to bleed out after cutting a vein in is arm and hiding the pooling blood under the table of an interview room. As an alleged Muslim extremist cleared for release, what visions of the afterlife drove him to forsake US hospitality?

The Prophet said, " -- whoever kills himself with an iron weapon, will be carrying that weapon in his hand and stabbing his abdomen with it in the (Hell) Fire wherein he will abide eternally forever."
— Sahih al-Bukhari, 7:71:670

Shaker Aamer UK resident formerly living in London, former translator for the US army, in his spare time Aamer helped refugees find accommodation. Travelled to Afghanistan in 2001 to work in charity. Arrested in 2001 based on fabricated allegations made by another tortured CIA prisoner. Tortured by the US and MI5 and won a settlement for this in the UK. In 2007 the Bush administration acknowledges that they have no evidence against him. As of this writing, still in solitary isolation for 22 hours per day and slowly going mad. Has not seen his family in all these years, his youngest son (13 years old) has never seen his father.

Muhammad Ismail Agha He was 12-13 years old in 2002 when he was sold to the US for $10 and sent to Guantanamo to be subjected to sleep deprivation and stress positions. Released in 2004 without charges. In the 10 months following his arrest, his parents were unaware he was still alive.

Ali Abdullah Ahmed along with three other committed suicide after 4 years of captivity and force feeding.

"I am informing you that I gave away the precious thing that I have in which it became very cheap, which is my own self, to lift up the oppression that is upon us through the American Government. I did not like the tube in my mouth, now go ahead and accept the rope in my neck."

Ruhal Ahmed
UK citizen. With his friends Ahmed in October 2001 travelled to Pakistan for a friend's wedding. While there, they went into Afghanistan and got caught when war broke out with US. Held in Guantanamo for two years, released without charges.

There is no hope in Guantanamo. The only thing that goes through your mind day after day is how to get justice or how to kill yourself. It is the despair - not the thought of martyrdom - that consumes you there.” He went on, "A Saudi detainee in the cell in front of us had had enough. We could hear him rip up his sheets and tie it to the wire mesh roof of the cell. He jumped off his sink and tried to hang himself. We shouted to the military police and they came and saved him.

Jamil el Banna
British resident, arrested in Gambia in 2002 trying to set up an edible oil factory.
Jamil el-Banna said that he was offered $10 million, and a US passport by US agents, if he would testify against Abu Qatada. According to The Times, he said:

"When he refused, an interrogator told him: 'I am going to London . . . I am going to gently caress your wife. Your wife is going to be my bitch. Maybe you’ll never see your children again.'"

Released in 2007, charges for a possible connections to the Madrid bombings based on confessions were dropped by the Spanish courts based on the claim that the confessions were false and were the result of abusive interrogation techniques.

Juma al-Dossary Held for five years, released without charges. Made a mistake of impersonating a female officer, which, according to his fellow prisoners resulted in:

When Jumah saw them coming he realized something was wrong and was lying on the floor with his head in his hands. If you’re on the floor with your hands on your head, then you would hope that all they would do would be to come in and put the chains on you. That is what they’re supposed to do.

The first man is meant to go in with a shield. On this occasion the man with the shield threw the shield away, took his helmet off, when the door was unlocked ran in and did a knee drop onto Jumah's back just between his shoulder blades with his full weight. He must have been about 240 pounds in weight. His name was Smith. He was a sergeant E5. Once he had done that the others came in and were punching and kicking Jumah…

Jumah had had an operation and had metal rods in his stomach clamped together in the operation… [Smith] grabbed his head with one hand and with the other hand punched him repeatedly in the face. His nose was broken. He pushed his face and he smashed it into the concrete floor. All of this should be on video. There was blood everywhere. When they took him out they hosed the cell down and the water ran red with blood. We all saw it

There are so many more clearly ridiculous cases that it staggers belief. As a more light-hearted example, the main or partial evidence for the detention and abuse for 5 of the detainees listed is their choice of watch: the Casio F91W. Wearing this piece of traditional Muslim extremist garment, comparable to the hachimaki worn by kamikaze pilots, is deemed damming evidence of bomb-maker aspirations. In over 50 detainee reports the watch is put forth as evidence.

Completely unrelated, it is also one of the most popular watches world wide, my sister owned one. Two of my colleagues own one and 5 chaplains in Guantanamo also own one. The I in CIA stands for intelligence.

• Locked thread