Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

TEAYCHES posted:

I absolutely agree. Barack Obama was a constitutional lawyer and has spoken out in the past about the importance of these very issues we are discussing.

There is no doubt in my mind that he will do the right thing and in the face of these revelations bring appropriate charges against those reasonably suspected of committing crimes which are prohibited under United States law.

I hope you're right, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Dahn posted:

CIA was not prepared to torture people for information. (probably because it doesn't work)

Yeah this makes me wonder. I was led to understand that during the cold war we had combinations of psychological preparation and drugs that would get anything we wanted out of a person without having to resort to anything like butt hummus and small boxes.

Maybe that stuff is passe and we wanted the "new" and "hip" torture?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

computer parts posted:

Nowhere else was (immediately) available.

For six years (and still counting)?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

computer parts posted:

We've dumped off tons of prisoners in the intervening 6 years, just not all of them (and then there's some we don't want to release).

What is "tons"?

There are 30 that have been cleared for release by Obama's own team of investigators that have yet to be released.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

computer parts posted:

Estimates I've seen are about 750 total prisoners (or since 9/11 anyway), and a report had about 550 there as of mid 2006. I don't believe the exact number was known when Obama took office but it's around 140 now (counting the ones we don't want released).

Well, that's something, at least.

I still want the place shut down. If there isn't even enough evidence for a show military trial, why are we keeping them?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

twodot posted:

Assuming the government isn't run by literal super villains

:stonk:

Do you read the news? We're sitting at about a 50 to 1 ratio for innocents killed vs terrorists with drone strikes alone right now. And we've sent thousands of troops back to Iraq with more on the way.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Dr Christmas posted:

The poll Washington Post did shows that 59% support it. It shows Christians supporting it more than non-Christians.

It's those spanish speaking Christians. And they are probably all Democrat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

""sent the C.I.A. on an absurd chase for Al Qaeda sleeper cells in Montana""

I realize at this point it might seem trivial, but is the CIA allowed to do it's "work" in the U.S. now?

• Locked thread