Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

ActusRhesus posted:

seriously. The "legal justification" for it was just...wow. Don't get me wrong...the guy was an rear end in a top hat. But jeez. talk about lovely precedent.

the fifth amendment provides does not distinguish between citizen and non-citizen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

SedanChair posted:

There won't be any more Watergates.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Rep. Peter King: Senate Report Not Torture, Just People Having “To Stand In Awkward Positions”

I don't even know where to loving start with this, but anyone still blowing this poo poo off as "not torture" should have to demonstrate that they can withstand everything the CIA inflicted on people without breaking a sweat. I'd love to see how that works out.

also not torture

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

Cheney should be tried and hung.

he's halfway there

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

twodot posted:

I think you are reading more into my post than what I said. The people who perform torture presumably believe it does produce useful information (again, I'm assuming they aren't super villains who torture for no reason), so information produced via torture is, I suspect, a prime component of their inadmissible evidence. This is a bad reason to hold someone indefinitely without trial, but there simply doesn't exist any good reason to hold someone indefinitely without trial, so that doesn't seem remarkable. (Similarly my other example of "Oh a guy told us you did something bad, but we can't/won't find him for cross examination" is a bad reason)

Per the report, at least one guy was tortured to play hours screams to his family to get information from them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

twodot posted:

I don't know why you think this is relevant to anything I've said (other than the posts where I said torture is bad, which you didn't quote).

They're evil; they didn't torture him to get information.

• Locked thread