Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

As all this information trickles out of the report, I think it's a good time to remember that we all make mistakes sometimes, and it's important to focus on building a better future rather than dwelling on what has happened in the past.

Thanks Obama.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Complaining about tone arguments when we just got a list of torture performed by a government agency that is still engaging in such and no one will be punished is really missing the forest for the trees.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Zeitgueist posted:

If you thought the CIA was some amazingly competent super-spy-force before this, you haven't been paying attention.

I agree with you but most of this country (and certainly its leadership) is clearly under this delusion.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

The kind of people that constantly bitch about government incompetence have absurd amounts of faith in police, military, secret spy poo poo, and the death penalty. Basically they are authoritarians that are ok as long as someone is bullying any one that isn't them.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

It clicked for me once I realized America is full of spiteful garbage that doesn't want to pay pennies to help anyone but will gladly fork over as much money as needed to kill and torture (both domestically and abroad) out of petty vengeance. What really gets me is the constant talk about Christian Values and American honor while doing it.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

They don't care it's all about revenge on people that were already dead before the guy in the photo.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

These people don't really care about getting intel. It's all about revenge fantasies on what they consider animals which is why you'll never convince them it was bad. CIA raping people or killing them in freezing water is the end result not the means to an end. People against this need to realize that a huge percentage of Americans want their enemies to be horribly mistreated and don't care how many innocent people are hurt. They just use the "it's worth it if one American life was saved" as window dressing so they don't have to hear themselves act like monsters.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Our government has shown through inaction that it is complicit in and approves of torture. While I believe a large percentage of Americans are pro torture, it doesn't even matter since we have no agency in that.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Dec 11, 2014

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

The US government (specifically our intelligence services) is certainly run by villains, they just aren't super.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

anonumos posted:

That has been repeated several times in the quotes people have posted. Also inspired portrayals in 2-3 other movies.

Is she like Amanda Waller from Batman or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Davethulhu posted:

Yeah, if Amanda Waller was an incompetent sadist. Maybe Antimatter Earth Amanda Waller.

I always got the impression she was a barely restrained sadist that rationalized herself through thoughts of saving a net amount of lives and was competent since her methods were written to work when in actuality (as the CIA report shows little was gained through "enhanced interrogation") they probably wouldn't be.

I bet a lot of CIA high-ups would think they were Amanda Waller if they knew who she was.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Dec 19, 2014

• Locked thread