Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Willie Tomg posted:

Ahahahahahahah after a few days of confinement and 24 hours of stress posture torture the CIA ascertains the prisoners are CIA moles who have been trying to get in touch with the CIA for months

America: If You Shoot For the Moon and Miss, Nail the Barn
This entire thing is a horrifying black comedy. Useless brutal Keystone Kops torture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Volkerball posted:

Let's get real, no government anywhere is going to arrest itself because of the UN. The best we can hope for here is reform and transparency for the future, which isn't unlikely considering that the report really outlines how much of a failure the torture program was. Near useless for information, incompetently run, huge drain of money and effort. It's pretty clearly not the way forward no matter where you stand ideologically.
The CIA is notorious for dumb useless incompetent projects that are drains of money and effort.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Accretionist posted:

Are any of you familiar with the CIA's last 40 years? Does this represent them getting worse or going rogue or what? I don't have the greatest sense of context here.
This is pretty much the CIA's raison d'etre: do stupid poo poo, get caught, do stupid poo poo, get caught...

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

pathetic little tramp posted:

It depends whether you think the torture of a couple dozen dudes is pretty horrible, or if secret "nation building" through secret installations and assassination attempts of world leaders has had a worse effect on the country.

Seriously, when the CIA first came into existence, some guy must have been late to the meeting and spouted out the first idea he could think of "Well, we don't like their leaders, so how about we install our own?" and nobody told him how dumb that sounded so it just kind of existed by the sake of no one really objecting.
I've no doubt the CIA is still involved in that kind of disaster.

This is the Keystone Kops of intelligence agencies, after all.

I've honestly got no idea how people can think the CIA is competent, when every single publicly known thing is a complete debacle. Maybe they do something well, but I think they should put up or shut up.

Ghost of Reagan Past fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Dec 10, 2014

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Rep. Peter King: Senate Report Not Torture, Just People Having “To Stand In Awkward Positions”

I don't even know where to loving start with this, but anyone still blowing this poo poo off as "not torture" should have to demonstrate that they can withstand everything the CIA inflicted on people without breaking a sweat. I'd love to see how that works out.
Being critical of rectal feedings means you hate America first. Got it.

Also, why are they continually claiming that we got actual intelligence from this, and that nobody had any lasting damage?? Did they even read the report? (what am I saying, of course they didn't).

Seriously, waterboarding is the least of the bad things in the report.

Ghost of Reagan Past fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Dec 10, 2014

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Takes balls to torture an innocent man!
Also takes balls to torture a CIA informant!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
This isn't news, but this ad popped up...

They're hiring guys!

• Locked thread