Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
New Division
Jun 23, 2004

I beg to present to you as a Christmas gift, Mr. Lombardi, the city of Detroit.
Reading this report, it's sort of struck me that there's a surprising amount of butt-focused torture in there.

American Dad was right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFTTZ9E_e2Y

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Division
Jun 23, 2004

euphronius posted:

It's arguably not rape because it was not part of a sexual experience, but, yeah. It probably was.

Does it count if the CIA agent had a raging erection when he force fed hummus into his prisoner's anus?

New Division
Jun 23, 2004

Given that even the Church Commission ultimately failed to permanently tamp down CIA malfeasance, I don't know why anyone expects that they won't proceed to do similar things in the future. One thing's for sure, there's nothing resembling the Church Commission on the way. The general desire seems to be to quickly forget this or deny that it was even a bad thing.

New Division
Jun 23, 2004

Xandu posted:

I mean, the last 6-8 years indicate pretty clearly that the US isn't interested in capturing terrorists /torturing detainees anymore, it just kills them. That could change, but if you read some of the excerpted emails, they seemed to think it was way too messy and problematic pretty early on. It produced limited intelligence and resulted in dozens of detainees they had to hold onto indefinitely.

Given that the CIA was torturing their own informants, I'm not exactly filled with confidence that the assasination program is any more competently run.

Really, that program should not be considered any more justified than the torture/rendition efforts.

New Division
Jun 23, 2004

Torture of detainees of interest is probably entirely outsourced to other countries these days instead of just mostly outsourced

New Division
Jun 23, 2004

Xandu posted:

They had their own secret annex.

I'm imagining an aluminum shack with a sign that says "SECRET CIA RECTAL-FEEDING UNIT"

New Division
Jun 23, 2004

This new report by Channel 4 in Britain is very timely. Looks like the CIA has been supervising torture in Somalia.

http://www.channel4.com/news/somalia-torture-united-states-cia-al-shabaab-video

http://www.thenation.com/article/161936/cias-secret-sites-somalia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Division
Jun 23, 2004

Honestly, from just a practical perspective the government should break up the CIA. It's got a legacy of horrendous failures and I think that other existing government agencies could pick up most of the legitimate work that is supposed to be done there.

• Locked thread