Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Volkerball posted:

Why would there be indictments? It was a government policy supported at all levels, even if the scale was unknown. They didn't just make this report for fun. Something can come of it in the future, and progress is being made on that front. When's the last time you saw north korea formally investigate its labor camps and release the report to the public?

This is an interesting perspective, I think: https://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/09/opinion/pardon-bush-and-those-who-tortured.html
It'll never happen, but still interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Papercut posted:

Do you think any of this information is new to them? There is a better chance of them pardoning all involved to make sure no one else can punish them.
Again, the ACLU recommends pardoning. It won't happen because it acknowledges that there is a crime to be pardoned for.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
Also isn't her blaming "this administration" for the report way off base? Doesn't the administration refer to the white house, or is it a catch-all term for government?
I mean I know that's only like the 6th stupidest thing she said in that rant, but still.

quote:

Nobody suffered any lasting injuries from this
Apart from the guy who died, of course.

awesmoe fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Dec 10, 2014

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The only rational explanation I can think of is a burnout, frustration, and meta-trolling ("Mr. Bush, if you think you didn't do anything wrong, why won't you accept a pardon?"). Or maybe the act of pardoning would make other nation's prosecutions easier somehow?
The options are either tacit pardons or explicit pardons. Explicit pardons signify guilt, whereas tacit pardons leave the question of guilt open. Thats all he's got; he's just acknowledged that nothing else is going to come of this.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

In an effort to clear up some of the confusion surrounding the information in the report, CNN has brought on expert legal analyst John Yoo to offer his insight.
That's actually disgusting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Badger of Basra posted:

It's not really "tarring" when the only people who will take it that way are people who already don't like them anyway. Every CIA agent who gets a preemptive pardon from Obama will go on Fox talking about how it's really a badge of honor and if the usurper in chief thinks I shouldn't have protected the country, well that's his problem. People who care about torture will continue to think it is wrong. Nothing changes.

It removes the defense of "well the obama administration didn't think it was a crime, and thats why we in the clinton-2 administration feel confident that ramming feeding tubes up asses is a legal and acceptable enhanced interrogation technique".

• Locked thread