Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

GTA is problematic and Samus is just too perfect. There are socially horrible games out there

Discuss social issues in gaming here and understand that you might get mocked for doing so also don't be a dumbass and post stuff that will get you probated or banned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Black Brony
Jul 11, 2008

Congratulations on Graduation Shnookums.
Love, Mom & Dad
Basically mmos are bad but they keep getting made. Not sure how to be more social than that.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Source your screenshots, to better facilitate discussion of course

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

what are your thoughts on the changes to samus' character over the years and that her place as a strong character is almost an accident, as we can see from other m that sakamoto is a weirdo fucker

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Looper posted:

Source your screenshots, to better facilitate discussion of course

That is from the Tom Sawyer turn based RPG made by Square for the NES. I'm sure that if you ask them about it they will be happy to acknowledge its existence.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Thank you

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The Japanese have extremely hosed up views on race, but hell, so do Americans. It's important to have perspective on things like this, IMO.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Did Square ever localize Tom Sawyer for the NES? I'd love to give it a whirl.

^^^ Agreed.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Stux posted:

what are your thoughts on the changes to samus' character over the years and that her place as a strong character is almost an accident, as we can see from other m that sakamoto is a weirdo fucker

I thought that Other M had some weird problematic moments so I'm torn between liking it in the sense of it developing the characters more and disliking it in the manner of Samus being a little whiny butt (yeah I get the PTSD thing but I've also seen several PTSD victims who don't freak out to the degree she did when any trigger happens; that's a very much imagined dramatization of how PTSD often manifests itself for the most part) when she sees Ridley instead of kicking rear end and taking names immediately. Like, we get enough of that "inspiration" from Lifetime movies (which could be solved in 5 seconds in my eyes by a truly strong female role model usually).

I hope that they develop her more and more if we get another metroid game anytime soon. That'd be cool.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Other M is a case where it could have been better but they really just executed it badly.

Like, Samus doesn't actually do anything meaningful in the game. And you can do a fun game about that but this wasn't a fun game about being powerless, it just kinda sucked. Moments like the infamous PTSD freakout would have been less meaningful if there were comparable cool moments too, but Samus spends the entire game kind of sucking.

Showing a character having weakness isn't bad but usually you want to back it up with strength. That doesn't just mean killing lots of things (which Samus does by existing) but actual character strength. It kinda sucks that so many games mistake 'can kill a billion people' for 'is a strong character.'

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

net cafe scandal posted:

Did Square ever localize Tom Sawyer for the NES? I'd love to give it a whirl.

^^^ Agreed.

That's a definite no and it's probably in that category of stuff they'd like to forget ever happened sort of like Disney and Uncle Remus.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I would love to life the life of oppression OP just LOVE IT. I would gladly pay $60 to have a bad time

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Widestancer posted:

I thought that Other M had some weird problematic moments so I'm torn between liking it in the sense of it developing the characters more and disliking it in the manner of Samus being a little whiny butt (yeah I get the PTSD thing but I've also seen several PTSD victims who don't freak out to the degree she did when any trigger happens; that's a very much imagined dramatization of how PTSD often manifests itself for the most part) when she sees Ridley instead of kicking rear end and taking names immediately. Like, we get enough of that "inspiration" from Lifetime movies (which could be solved in 5 seconds in my eyes by a truly strong female role model usually).

I hope that they develop her more and more if we get another metroid game anytime soon. That'd be cool.

i felt the other issue was it was a straight up attempt to weaken her too. shes just beaten the poo poo out of ridley earlier in super as well as mother brain, and now the dude freaks her out? also the whole baby metroid thing and adam. but then sakamoto was involved with metroid from the start so maybe he always meant for her to be like that in which case gently caress him imo

same but i think she should go back to being a silent protag again as well as a badass. there are few female leads, fewer still who are unqualified badasses, last thing we need is to lose the biggest badass of all. i only say going back to silent because if sakamoto is involved he invariably will make her talk like an idiot (the voice actresses unemotional delivery is what he directed her to do for some dumb reason)

time is a wastin
Sep 11, 2011
I dont talk to people in online games bcause I have crippling sweaty social anxiety.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Abu Dave posted:

I would love to life the life of oppression OP just LOVE IT. I would gladly pay $60 to have a bad time

http://store.steampowered.com/app/24010/

Buy this plus all 202 DLC for:

And you can know what it feels like to live life without being able to get offa this crazy train we're on AND spend thousands of dollars doing so.

Train Simulator 2015 is a good metaphor for our time.

Blister
Sep 8, 2000

Hair Elf

Widestancer posted:

It'd be cool if someone just treated her like she's a badass 7 foot tall bounty hunter in power armor, she's almost no different from Master chief so why isn't she doing poo poo like kicking the space pirates asses for screwing up her childhood?

Women are still confusing to game developers :(

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Blister posted:

They are way too difficult to animate.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Blister posted:

It'd be cool if someone just treated her like she's a badass 7 foot tall bounty hunter in power armor, she's almost no different from Master chief so why isn't she doing poo poo like kicking the space pirates asses for screwing up her childhood?

oh yeah lol in other m how loving big are the boots on her power armour, out of it she is like loving 1.5ft shorter than that dude who survives, in it she is like 2ft taller.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

blackguy32 posted:

They are way too difficult to animate.

Senran Kagura disagrees.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
If they're sexier I will buy more copies

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

Sorry guys but this thread has failed before it ever even started. We will never recapture the glory and magic of the original minority perspectives in games thread. It was lightning in a bottle. All those posters have been driven away by neo-GBS and taken refuge on postplace/wddp/rhizzone and twitter or whatever. Never again will we have a thread of goons genuinely upset that you can only play European countries in Europa Universalis, or a guy upset about sexual dimorphism in Everquest frog people. It just can't happen again.

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

It was a shining gem, stolen from us forever

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Bilal posted:

Sorry guys but this thread has failed before it ever even started. We will never recapture the glory and magic of the original minority perspectives in games thread. It was lightning in a bottle. All those posters have been driven away by neo-GBS and taken refuge on postplace/wddp/rhizzone and twitter or whatever. Never again will we have a thread of goons genuinely upset that you can only play European countries in Europa Universalis, or a guy upset about sexual dimorphism in Everquest frog people. It just can't happen again.

Which is kind of funny, because Anita Sarkeesian is getting more attention than ever.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Social boss battles are fun and more games should do them like Human Revolution did.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Bilal posted:

Remember when some feminist poster got in a fight with a gay poster about which one was more privileged? Good poo poo.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Squelch Hardon posted:

I dont talk to people in online games bcause I have crippling sweaty social anxiety.

Same.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Is Bayonetta's strong "don't need no BS" attitude a good feminist model to aspire to, or is the fact that she literally strips her clothes to kill enemies another tip towards degrading women?

These are the things that keep me up at night.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

seiferguy posted:

Is Bayonetta's strong "don't need no BS" attitude a good feminist model to aspire to, or is the fact that she literally strips her clothes to kill enemies another tip towards degrading women?

this is for you to decide on your own

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

seiferguy posted:

like many of these situations there are elements of both

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

seiferguy posted:

You can pretty reasonably argue she is both. It's not a black or white thing.

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
This is actually the most mature, readable and amusing discussion of this topic Ive seen in like forever. So congrats I guess

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Arbitrary Coin posted:

This is actually the most mature, readable and amusing discussion of this topic Ive seen in like forever. So congrats I guess

Tijuana Donkeyshow
Jan 1, 2008

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Let's talk about how much Anthony Burch deserves death.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Alain Post posted:

Let's talk about how much Anthony Burch deserves death.

Why? His life is already a living hell.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Reasons why Doom is still FPS #1.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy

Whoaa that mod icon is amazing

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

By the same company who made Oregon Trail, MECC and released on the Apple 2

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!
gamergate!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

seiferguy posted:

I used to think her insane degree of sexualization was purely satirical and therefore meaningless to get hot and bothered (heh) about. Not sure what I think about it nowadays except that the Bayonetta games are great. v:shobon:v

I mean I guess I should pay more attention and give more thought to this stuff, especially given I'm as bloody well privileged or whatever as it gets, but oh crikey I just want to play video games :ohdear:

• Locked thread