Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

that doesn't really answer your question or anything its just my opinion.

Bayonetta-

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

steinrokkan posted:

Unironically a good question.

yeah thats why i posted it

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

steinrokkan posted:

Can somebody explain to me how a blank "character" who was just an indescript animated sprite jumping on platforms and shooting blobs at things is considered to be an empowered character? (Samus)

Well she wrecks the poo poo out of a bunch of aliens men seem useless in defeating.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

steinrokkan posted:

Can somebody explain to me how a blank "character" who was just an indescript animated sprite jumping on platforms and shooting blobs at things is considered to be an empowered character? (Samus)
Or how a character whose only characteristics are killing things and wearing exposing clothing is considered to be an empowered character? (Bayonetta)

Sonuds to me like neither would be considered a character at all outside the starved realm of video games. tia for response.

samus was considered a strong character because she was actually as capable and as badass as male characters in other games, and basically the most powerful being in her entire universe within her own games without it being anything other than "she is really tough and strong and found this kickass armour". but then you had the bikini thing and also now other m against that. but in general she is cool.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

samus is probably my fav character outside of more recent characterisations. I main her on smash for example...

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

steinrokkan posted:

Or how a character whose only characteristics are killing things and wearing exposing clothing is considered to be an empowered character? (Bayonetta)

Sonuds to me like neither would be considered a character at all outside the starved realm of video games. tia for response.

http://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2014/10/femme-doms-of-videogames-bayonetta-doesnt-care-if.html

maddy myers probably has written about samus before too because she's a big metroid fan; anyway that article is an example of how there are women who identify strongly w/ bayo and w/ how she is cool as heck

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

steinrokkan posted:

A woman can't be empowered and sexual at the same time? Sounds like slut shaming.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Stux posted:

samus was considered a strong character because she was actually as capable and as badass as male characters in other games, and basically the most powerful being in her entire universe within her own games without it being anything other than "she is really tough and strong and found this kickass armour". but then you had the bikini thing and also now other m against that. but in general she is cool.

Well, but she was't really a character, was she? If they replaced her with an animate ballpoint pen, it wouldn't have made any difference to the original Metroid games. She was just a generic entity for a player to control.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I'll bite. The problem isn't really gaming. Gaming has room for pretty much everything. Especially with Steam, Xbox Indie Games and PS4 indie store or whatever it has. There can be social issue titles and brainless titles and everything in between. That's not the issue.

The problem is social media, especially twitter. Reducing everything down to 140 characters radicalizes everything. It leaves no room for compromise, only black and white. These sort of issues don't fit themselves neatly into that small space. So everyone tends to gravitate to their various sides and then just radicalizes. Which leaves no room for any meaningful discussion, just endlessly slinging poo poo at your opposition.

Polygon and Kotaku, however, shall always remain utter garbage to be mocked and roundly laughed at.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Adam Bowen posted:

A woman can't be empowered and sexual at the same time? Sounds like slut shaming.

Hi there, buddy, long time no see, how are you doing? I guess that a woman can be empowered and sexual at the same time but as Orson Welles used to say, graphic sexuality in media makes any sort of aesthetic or ethical messages impossible on account of its qualitatively different and overwhelming nature.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Bayonetta is problematic because she's still very much a male fantasy object.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Also I guess any character who achieves their empowerment entirely through murder doesn't deserve to be considered a role model for anybody.

ZergRushing
Oct 1, 2004

Groovelord Neato posted:

Bayonetta is problematic because she's still very much a male fantasy object.

Stux posted:

Adam Bowen posted:

lol okay i cant tell whos on what side anymore

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

steinrokkan posted:

Well, but she was't really a character, was she? If they replaced her with an animate ballpoint pen, it wouldn't have made any difference to the original Metroid games. She was just a generic entity for a player to control.

it's a game, an old one at that, her characterisation comes from what happens in the game, how she reacts, what she encounters (outside of like the super metroid intro). yes this means part of her characterisation is subjective and based on the agency of the player but that is one of gamings strengths over other mediums

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
You know what this thread needs? neurolimal and zeitgueist

Dravinski
May 5, 2013

Adam Bowen posted:

The poster was calling attention to the lack of other characteristics. I don't think Bayonetta is an empowering character because as a character she is very 2-Dimensional.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Stoked for a new Adam Bowen thread.

steinrokkan posted:

Olde Samus isn't a blank character. We know through her actions that she blows poo poo up, kills space pirates, and saves a Metroid. There's an episode of Extra Credits bout this.

Not touching Bayonetta though.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Ilustforponydeath posted:

Nope. We took turns playing as sheva so that each of us could get a good look at that sweet sweet mulatto rear end.

With that leopard print bikini? Awww riiiiight... :hfive:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbquDj3mkGc

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

KoldPT posted:

You know what this thread needs? neurolimal and zeitgueist

To summon them you need to look in a mirror and say 'Gamergate, Gamergate, Gamergate'

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Stux posted:

it's a game, an old one at that, her characterisation comes from what happens in the game, how she reacts, what she encounters (outside of like the super metroid intro). yes this means part of her characterisation is subjective and based on the agency of the player but that is one of gamings strengths over other mediums

Hm, yes, I've jumped from platform A to platform B, suddenly I feel at one with women world wide.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Heran Bago posted:

Stoked for a new Adam Bowen thread.

Olde Samus isn't a blank character. We know through her actions that she blows poo poo up, kills space pirates, and saves a Metroid. There's an episode of Extra Credits bout this.

So the endgame for strong women characters is to be equally destructive as men characters? That doesn't seem very progressive.

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros
IMO one shouldn't look up to video game characters as role models or idols (especially Mario)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

well we had a good run, time to :gas:

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

discussion timeline:

what is a game ---> can games be art ---> gamergate ---> is bayonetta sexist or empowering

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Heran Bago posted:

psh, like you even could, wuss

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

steinrokkan posted:

So the endgame for strong women characters is to be equally destructive as men characters? That doesn't seem very progressive.

it's for both men and women characters to be able to cover the same range of characterisation rather than being placed into specific roles

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

steinrokkan posted:

like in a time where women characters were always the princess to the PCs mario it was cool to have at least one game where a woman character WAS mario

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Falsum posted:

IMO one shouldn't look up to video game characters as role models or idols (especially Mario)

I think that people should have more respect for tradesmen like plumbers and their importance to society.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

hey here is something actually problematic in the most hilarious way after about the 1 minute mark

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buRrdnZTMVA

ZergRushing
Oct 1, 2004

Stux posted:

like in a time where women characters were always the princess to the PCs mario it was cool to have at least one game where a woman character WAS mario

how do you feel about peach from mario 2

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Endorph posted:

well we had a good run, time to :gas:

I'm sure people expected this thread to have a long illustrious career in the Games subforum.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

Gumdrop Larry posted:

I think that people should have more respect for tradesmen like plumbers and their importance to society.

they should, but the german technical school model

Dravinski
May 5, 2013

Ekster posted:

hey here is something actually problematic in the most hilarious way after about the 1 minute mark

I love how at like 1 minute 20 the guy is on all fours crawling into the girls bathroom.

I also find it interesting that a lot of the comments are talking about the evil fascist feminazis threatening their rights to be... creepy?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

ZergRushing posted:

i think u mean doki doki panic

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

Ekster posted:

i'm buying this

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Stux posted:

OK, I guess that's valid. Though it seems to marginalize any value-oriented feminist movement. Instead it's satisfactory to have any woman model, like having a generic female LEGO model to replace the generic male LEGO figurine.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

ZergRushing posted:

she's the slowest and weakest character but can use her skirt to float hmmmm

also luigi is the only real choice from a gameplay perspective

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

steinrokkan posted:

OK, I guess that's valid. Though it seems to marginalize any value-oriented feminist movement. Instead it's satisfactory to have any woman model, like having a generic female LEGO model to replace the generic male LEGO figurine.

well we are talking about old games here I mean. mario was just a moustache trying to save a princess from a dinosaur. also as someone else mentioned earlier she did have characterisation as well and was generally a cool character, the fact she was also a female PC in an era where that was really rare only helped make her more important.

again it's like a developmental process. always keep drawing these comparisons but at one point it was just important that a woman or a minority was in a film instead of a guy in drag or black face, never mind about the actual character they were playing. nowadays that (rightly) isn't enough. product of the times etc

Stux fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Dec 13, 2014

ZergRushing
Oct 1, 2004

Stux posted:

she's the slowest and weakest character but can use her skirt to float hmmmm

also luigi is the only real choice from a gameplay perspective

yeah but she has the unique ability to attract 90% of the player pool by being a cute pink floaty girl, JUST LIKE A REAL WOMAN

and no sexualization isnt it everything you've always wanted!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maleficent
May 26, 2014
:gas:
goons are stupid as poo poo

• Locked thread