Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Soral posted:

gone home was pushed very strongly and reviewed pretty well so lots of gamers spent $20 on it and found out it was a 45 minute long fart around game in a big boring house. anyone who suggests it was the narrative is a dumbass.

$20 sounds like a good and resonable price for such a game. why the autistic rage?

also how stupid are you if you buy a game without reading an actual review? do you just look at how many stars it has on metacritic and fork over the cash?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soral
May 30, 2009

icantfindaname posted:

$20 sounds like a good and resonable price for such a game. why the autistic rage?

also how stupid are you if you buy a game without reading an actual review? do you just look at how many stars it has on metacritic and fork over the cash?

lol

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Jordbo posted:

The worst thing about the response to Gone Home is the "gone homo" meme, not only because it's immature or offensive but because it spoils a very nice part of the game. It's like the sweetest plot twist, when you realize it's all about teenage rebellion and love.

but no, drat homos amirite?

Although it isn't really all about the sister either, the game has a really deep plot that's presented in a way few games have attempted. You had to figure out what your mother was up to, and what was bothering your father, and the game never really spelled anything out. It felt really unique and rewarding.

Gamers are the worst. But I seem to remember people liking the game on release, particularly the 90's nostalgia, so I wonder when and why the opinion turned?

I imagine it was all the attention it got. Suddenly this non-traditional game (however you want to define traditional here) is getting attention? Can't have that. And it features homos! That's double wrongbad in the eyes of the "hardcore" gaming community who takes gaming seriously because they use their hobby to define themselves.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Soral posted:

gone home was pushed very strongly and reviewed pretty well so lots of gamers spent $20 on it and found out it was a 45 minute long fart around game in a big boring house. anyone who suggests it was the narrative is a dumbass.

yeah thats definitely why the game was tagged with things such as "gone homo" and "cancer" on steam for ages

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

I dislike Gone Home in the same way I dislike Spec Ops: The Line. Both games were presented to me as some sort of revolutionary concept in the realm of storytelling, so I think to myself, well, I like stories, I play visual novels occasionally and enjoy them, let's check these games out.

Gone Home then turns out to be OK. Decent. Alright. Nothing I'd write home about as some sort of life-changing experience, contrary to what reviews might tell me. I found Analogue: A Hate Story to be a much more engrossing experience in the "arrive at place, poo poo's hosed up, find out what happened" department.

So I start wondering as to why Gone Home recieved so much positive press as compared to Analogue, and I still haven't really found an answer beyond a vague "I guess it's related to the subject matter?".

That's basically what turns me off when it comes to Gone Home - the idea of "a lot of people told me this was really loving great, and it turns out I thought it was just alright".

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
"Gone Homo" is pretty dang funny, to be fair.

Soral
May 30, 2009

Stux posted:

yeah thats definitely why the game was tagged with things such as "gone homo" and "cancer" on steam for ages

people say mean things about stuff they dislike, wow

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

TheMcD posted:

So I start wondering as to why Gone Home recieved so much positive press as compared to Analogue, and I still haven't really found an answer beyond a vague "I guess it's related to the subject matter?".

It's because it was extremely well-polished and made by a development team with a pedigree.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Soral posted:

people say mean things about stuff they dislike, wow

yeah and it usually belies their real feelings towards stuff owah

Jordbo
Mar 5, 2013

Soral posted:

oh yeah well anyone who suggests it's the length and gameplay is a turd :c00l:

Longer games aren't necessarily better, and the house was filled with easter eggs, hidden compartments, and secrets, so how did you find it boring? You're free to feel however you want about the game, but surely you can see that is has good qualities?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

like its really telling that say, the stanley parable, despite lacking interaction just as much, costing just as much and lasting just as long, for around the same price got none of this backlash at all.

Soral
May 30, 2009

Jordbo posted:

oh yeah well anyone who suggests it's the length and gameplay is a turd :c00l:

Longer games aren't necessarily better, and the house was filled with easter eggs, hidden compartments, and secrets, so how did you find it boring? You're free to feel however you want about the game, but surely you can see that is has good qualities?

i never really posted my opinion on gone home, not sure where you're getting this idea that i hated or even disliked the game

Stux posted:

yeah and it usually belies their real feelings towards stuff owah

youre a fuckin dummy

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

that means its pretty fair to say what people didnt like about gone home compared to the stanley parable was content. the stanley parable was a comedy filled with nerdy references. gone home was a serious and emotional story about gay people. oh look :ms:

Jordbo
Mar 5, 2013

Soral posted:

i never really posted my opinion on gone home, not sure where you're getting this idea that i hated or even disliked the game

Oh, you're right. My bad. You made a good point. :)

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Alain Post posted:

It's because it was extremely well-polished and made by a development team with a pedigree.

I didn't really note any extreme polish that wowed me, but I guess I'll take your word for it. Maybe I didn't explore as much as I should have because of the mindset of "alright, revolutionary game, show me what you've got".

Guess I'll have to replay it - maybe I was missing something?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The major problem was Gone Home wasn't really a game, had numerous red herrings to try to make it seem like it might be a horror title, and was far too short for the price point. It had nothing to do with the narrative at all.

Stux posted:

that means its pretty fair to say what people didnt like about gone home compared to the stanley parable was content. the stanley parable was a comedy filled with nerdy references. gone home was a serious and emotional story about gay people. oh look :ms:

You should probably stick to being an idiot in the GBS TCC thread instead of spreading elsewhere.

Oh lmao compared it to Myst holy poo poo.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

TheMcD posted:

I dislike Gone Home in the same way I dislike Spec Ops: The Line. Both games were presented to me as some sort of revolutionary concept in the realm of storytelling, so I think to myself, well, I like stories, I play visual novels occasionally and enjoy them, let's check these games out.

Gone Home then turns out to be OK. Decent. Alright. Nothing I'd write home about as some sort of life-changing experience, contrary to what reviews might tell me. I found Analogue: A Hate Story to be a much more engrossing experience in the "arrive at place, poo poo's hosed up, find out what happened" department.

That's basically what turns me off when it comes to Gone Home - the idea of "a lot of people told me this was really loving great, and it turns out I thought it was just alright".

Analogue is a visual novel, so it's not really surprising to me that it got less press.

I think this:

Stux posted:

like its really telling that say, the stanley parable, despite lacking interaction just as much, costing just as much and lasting just as long, for around the same price got none of this backlash at all.
is more telling, because I'd argue Stanley Parable actually has less interaction than Gone Home.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

what part of my post was funny?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

TheMcD posted:

I didn't really note any extreme polish that wowed me, but I guess I'll take your word for it. Maybe I didn't explore as much as I should have because of the mindset of "alright, revolutionary game, show me what you've got".

Guess I'll have to replay it - maybe I was missing something?

It isn't ostentatious, it's just a level of detailed naturalism that you rarely see in games.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

icantfindaname posted:

If I accept this as truth, suddenly GamerGate and Metacritic makes a lot of sense and I no longer want these people to breathe anymore.

Soral
May 30, 2009

Jordbo posted:

Oh, you're right. My bad. You made a good point. :)

full disclosure gone home gay gamer opinion: i got it on sale for $7.50. it was fine. i would have liked a few more puzzles. the story didnt really grab me as much as it did other people

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Groovelord Neato posted:

The major problem was Gone Home wasn't really a game, had numerous red herrings to try to make it seem like it might be a horror title, and was far too short for the price point. It had nothing to do with the narrative at all.

You should probably stick to being an idiot in the GBS TCC thread instead of spreading elsewhere.

why isnt it a game? you control it. thats it right there, it is a game. what a dumb gently caress thing to say.

also red herrings about it being a horror title before finding out whats really going on is whats called plot and atmosphere. if it led you to think that it was going to be horror, then it worked well.

the most obvious way most of it is about the narrative is the language people use on youtube and other places to deride it, which almost always consist of the words "cancer", "feminazi" and the f bomb. other visual novel style games with little to no interaction dont get the same reception. people might be like "eh not for me" but it doesnt get as vitriolic as with gone home

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Stux posted:

why isnt it a game? you control it. thats it right there, it is a game. what a dumb gently caress thing to say.

That's a really bad definition.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Alain Post posted:

That's a really bad definition.

actually its a good one. a film is visual media with no interation. a game is visual media with interaction, regardless of what that interaction is. done.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Stux posted:

also red herrings about it being a horror title before finding out whats really going on is whats called plot and atmosphere. if it led you to think that it was going to be horror, then it worked well.

hahaha loving no.

Also, just because MRAs threw a tizzy over it being about young lesbian love doesn't somehow absolve it of being boring, short, and having very little gameplay. The story didn't bother me at all and I found it cute actually.

Stux posted:

actually its a good one. a film is visual media with no interation. a game is visual media with interaction, regardless of what that interaction is. done.

Should really just stick to being an idiot in that gbs thread.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Film is interactive.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
For a less controversial statement, theater is definitely interactive. So now plays are games by your gently caress-rear end definition.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Groovelord Neato posted:

hahaha loving no.

Also, just because MRAs threw a tizzy over it being about young lesbian love doesn't somehow absolve it of being boring, short, and having very little gameplay. The story didn't bother me at all and I found it cute actually.

the problem you're having here is you're just talking about your own reasons for disliking it, but that doesnt change the fact that a lot of people had a problem with the game simply because of its content. hope this clears things up for you.

Soral
May 30, 2009

Stux posted:

youre really, really stupid

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Alain Post posted:

For a less controversial statement, theater is definitely interactive. So now plays are games by your gently caress-rear end definition.

this is a really pointless thing to go off on when you know exactly what was meant

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

regarding the people complaining about the price, remember that noted visual novel anime waifu simulator clannad got over $120,000 dollars in kickstarter money within 12 hours of opening. money is not the problem here

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sekaiproject/clannad-official-english-release/

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Stux posted:

the problem you're having here is you're just talking about your own reasons for disliking it, but that doesnt change the fact that a lot of people had a problem with the game simply because of its content. hope this clears things up for you.

Maybe you should engage with the arguments other posters bring up, instead of yelling that completely different people are being homophobic.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Plus I was responding to a guy who laughably said it was like a smaller scale Myst.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Gone Home was a good story trapped in a poo poo game. People just say stuff like "Gone Homo" because the game part was completely ignored in favor of the narrative. If there was a game with actual content there that still had the same narrative, I'd be willing to bet it would be received more warmly.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Stux posted:

this is a really pointless thing to go off on when you know exactly what was meant

I actually don't, because "interactive" is extremely poorly defined, especially when it comes into debates about defining what a game is.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Alain Post posted:

Maybe you should engage with the arguments other posters bring up, instead of yelling that completely different people are being homophobic.

i did, then everyone ignored it because apparently no one can explain the difference between the stanley parable and gone home wrt its reception with gamers

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Gone Home was good but the reasons it was good had nothing to do with it being a game, which is why the "Is Gone Home a game" debate was so intensely stupid.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Stux posted:

i did, then everyone ignored it because apparently no one can explain the difference between the stanley parable and gone home wrt its reception with gamers

Gone Home, imo, is good IF. The Stanley Parable is really insufferably written IF. I like calling it "The Stanley Terrible".

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Alain Post posted:

I actually don't, because "interactive" is extremely poorly defined, especially when it comes into debates about defining what a game is.

lol ok, but literally: you are dumb as gently caress for carrying this on when its really clear the definition between a movie or other piece of passive media and a game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soral
May 30, 2009

Stux posted:

lol ok, but literally: you are dumb as gently caress for carrying this on when its really clear the definition between a movie or other piece of passive media and a game.

you: "a game is a thing you control"

• Locked thread