Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Bobnumerotres posted:

that list is total bull or is assuming you know how to do ridiculous out-of-bounds glitches and other odd exploits.

I think that same assumption is made with the randomizer considering it's posted on metroid2k2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

super Metroid is a better game if you know how to do the sequence breaks, also gently caress shinesparking into the wrecked ship that piece of poo poo pillar jump thing

That's pretty drat easy compared to doing it through the bomb wall on the other side of your ship.

Dec 26, 2012

oh, weird, i actually got the morph ball at the morph ball spot

e: next two were power bombs and super missiles. well this should be easy

01011001 fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Dec 15, 2014

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

01011001 posted:

oh, weird, i actually got the morph ball at the morph ball spot

e: next two were power bombs and super missiles. well this should be easy

this is what happened to me until I ran through those gates that require speed boost and got stuck between two and couldn't Bomb my way out bc I was out of power Bombs. I'm an idiot

Dec 26, 2012

fifth one i got was speed boost so, lol

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hW3Ttt2rBpg always fun

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

I only watched like, seven minutes and jesus christ. I'll never be able to swim through the air like that I now it's tool assisted but still. :negative:

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I'm going to do this soon. I think I'm good enough to try.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

not any of the crazy tas poo poo though. that shinespark by running on the three frozen mochtroids was insane.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

Evil Eagle posted:

not any of the crazy tas poo poo though. that shinespark by running on the three frozen mochtroids was insane.

timestamp on that poo poo?

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

rediscover posted:

timestamp on that poo poo?

http://youtu.be/hW3Ttt2rBpg?t=31m24s

it's at the top of this room. really loving cool.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Evil Eagle posted:

this is extremely cool

The next room owns because it showed me how loving bad I was a wall jumping when I was practicing for a minimalist run.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Acquire Currency! posted:

this is extremely cool

The next room owns because it showed me how loving bad I was a wall jumping when I was practicing for a minimalist run.

You should go watch that room on the way back from draygon. holy poo poo.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Aha, a version of randomized Metroid prime that has the wave beam not behind a wave beam door...

Also this thing can randomize echoes too I find that a bit hard to believe.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Evil Eagle posted:

You should go watch that room on the way back from draygon. holy poo poo.

The whole time when he's getting heat damage is amazing. There are 4 or 5 times where he gets like 04 energy before he gets to a safe area or sparks.
I also like that he uses the wavebeam special shot a bunch. I felt like a huge loving scrub when I found out you could mix-match the beams to do cool poo poo just a few years ago.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

my space jump ended up behind a wave beam door, and the wave beam was inside the early power bomb expansion ice crevice thing in ice ruins east which is too tall to jump back out of
I had to slow the emulator down to 10% in order to get the timing down to ladder bomb jump out of it because im terrible. this is pretty fun though

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Acquire Currency! posted:

The whole time when he's getting heat damage is amazing. There are 4 or 5 times where he gets like 04 energy before he gets to a safe area or sparks.
I also like that he uses the wavebeam special shot a bunch. I felt like a huge loving scrub when I found out you could mix-match the beams to do cool poo poo just a few years ago.

Alas, the power-bomb charge beams are fairly useless in "normal" play. Even the non-tas metroid runs don't really use them, except the wave beam one and evne then only rarely.

Dec 26, 2012

Evil Eagle posted:

good god

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:
somebody suggested super metroid redesign a little while ago and it is pretty neat, but the guy kind of missed the point about the whole exploration thing. it feels like he wanted a metroid game where the majority of content is going around getting extras after you've gotten the majority of your powers and as a result the game is a ton of lovely backtracking from literally one end of the map to the other, and a ton of dead ends because you don't have something you won't get until a few hours later

it's still better than super zero mission though so i will probably see it through because the level design is actually pretty neat and feels very Prime-y

Abysswalker
Apr 25, 2013

legacy is deece. i enjoyed it enough to finish it, at least.

it has some sections where you have to abuse glitches or find items with 0 visual hints to progress, but i'm guessing that's not unusual for sm romhacks

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Powercrazy posted:

Alas, the power-bomb charge beams are fairly useless in "normal" play. Even the non-tas metroid runs don't really use them, except the wave beam one and evne then only rarely.

they're really good for bosses that take a while, like phantoon. but aside from that I never really use them.

Sito posted:

legacy is deece. i enjoyed it enough to finish it, at least.

it has some sections where you have to abuse glitches or find items with 0 visual hints to progress, but i'm guessing that's not unusual for sm romhacks

oh yeah, I remember playing and finishing legacy but I don't remember anything about it.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Aha, a version of randomized Metroid prime that has the wave beam not behind a wave beam door...

Also this thing can randomize echoes too I find that a bit hard to believe.

It's probably trivial to have made the randomizer once he got it working for prime but that doesn't mean it's remotely beatable. If the keys are part of the randomizer pool I don't see how the game would be remotely possible to complete. I'm curious to try it though once I get the prime one working

Dec 26, 2012

it seems like there would be way too many hard gearchecks to properly do prime, least of all echoes

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

01011001 posted:

it seems like there would be way too many hard gearchecks to properly do prime, least of all echoes

ive nearly got randomized prime beat but I had to load my save in a normal unmodified prime to get the ice beam then go back to my randomized game

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

ive nearly got randomized prime beat but I had to load my save in a normal unmodified prime to get the ice beam then go back to my randomized game

it's beatable, you just might have to cheat every now and then

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe
So I tried this as well since it sounded pretty fun:

Of course then this had to be in the rear end-end of Maridia, and I hadn't found Space Jump yet:

In the end I managed to get lucky enough to finish in three hours and it was pretty great. Is there anything similar for Zero Mission?

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Soulfucker posted:

In the end I managed to get lucky enough to finish in three hours and it was pretty great. Is there anything similar for Zero Mission?

something similar for zero mission would be impossible unfortunately :( but i wonder if there are good hacks that use the ZM engine

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Yeah, Fusion and Zero Mission are constant gear checks: the movie: the book: the game.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

for some reason echoes is actually easier than prime if you look at the log for what was randomized and make sure the light and dark beam are not in torvus or sanctuary. the trick is that it lets you keep your original items so you get a lot more options for going around things.

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
Fusion uses some kind of event system to determine where you can go and what you can get which makes it a pain in the rear end to hack around it.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
fusion contains a lot of questionable design choices but i like it a lot.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

RME posted:

maridia is my least favorite area of the game but it has some really good/under-appreciated music:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIcn67RfLQw

For some reason I thought this song was used in Maridia. (Maybe it's used close by?)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pim1s_DBR64

Although probably because it got re-used in Echos in a water area.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2rHCt_QCvA

Also Magmoor caverns in Prime is just Lower Norfair from Super. Retro needs to stop making Doneky Kong games and make another Metroid.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Oxyclean posted:

For some reason I thought this song was used in Maridia. (Maybe it's used close by?)

Although probably because it got re-used in Echos in a water area.

I think it plays in the glass tube section which is technically Maridia.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Oxyclean posted:

Yea it's an ownage song it plays in brinstar when you are on your way to upper norfair to get the ice beam/highjump boots and kill kraid, when you get into maridia proper, it's a different song.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Blackheart posted:

I think it plays in the glass tube section which is technically Maridia.

The glass tube actually changes to the Maridia music. It's an audio cue to the player that the tube can be broken/explored, since maridia is kind of out of the way to get to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Powercrazy posted:

Yea it's an ownage song it plays in brinstar when you are on your way to upper norfair to get the ice beam/highjump boots and kill kraid, when you get into maridia proper, it's a different song.

Cool av.

• Locked thread