Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
John McCain
Jan 29, 2009
Came across a very dead bird in a piece of equipment today, just wondering what it is. My guess is some kind of cormorant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?
I'm not an expert or anything but I'd say it's an Alkonost.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und
Definitely not a cormorant (which has a long neck, more slender bill with a hook on the end etc). It's a bit hard to tell from the photograph but my best guess is some kind of large northern hemisphere gull (i.e. a herring gull rather than a southern hemisphere silver gull), a petrel, or an albatross. I can't tell how big it is, and I don't know what part of the world you're in, which would help me narrow it down. Knowing what's common, it's most likely a herring gull, just degraded/darkened from its original colour.

John McCain
Jan 29, 2009

Infamous Sphere posted:

I can't tell how big it is, and I don't know what part of the world you're in, which would help me narrow it down. Knowing what's common, it's most likely a herring gull, just degraded/darkened from its original colour.

Northeastern seaboard. Corpse was at least a foot long.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
Common brushtail possum.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
Twisted headed vulture.

cent0r
Feb 19, 2007
Black, white and green.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
A dead one.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Does it taste more like chicken or duck?

Boneitis
Jul 14, 2010
The green irridescence leads me to believe that it is a Common Grackle, but they have yellow eyes.

Could very well be a European Starling, which are pretty varied in coloration but have the characteristic yellow beak and black eyes, but the corpse lacks the long neck feathers and has a whitish breast

Can you get any better pictures?

Skutter
Apr 8, 2007

Well you can fuck that sky high!

^^^Grackles are all black with black legs and are not that large, and starlings are also all black with yellow speckles and only about 5-6 inches tall.

It looks like a seagull. White head, grey wings, large beak, the feet look webbed, and the size is about right.

Skutter fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Dec 26, 2014

Effexxor
May 26, 2008

Yeah, that is definitely not a grackle or starling. The beak is way too long, and grackles and starlings are more compact. Besides, the green looks more like a stain than actual plumage. Likely a gull of some kind, but would need more on the habitat it was found in.

Boneitis
Jul 14, 2010
I was going off of the green alone. Figured it would be the most distinc characteristic so it didn't occur to me that it could be a stain

Malus
Nov 17, 2006

The dicks ain't biting
It's me mum.

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW
Looks like a seagull. The green - it was probably sprayed with poison at an airport or some other place where large numbers of birds are a problem.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Death to all dinosaurs.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Its a Shitbird.

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

PLEASE DO NOT BACKSEAT MODERATE
Naturalist girlfriend says it's some kind of gull, probably immature...but with such a fuzzy picture it's hard to tell.

Check Sibley's Guide to Birds for gulls and you'll probably find one that looks close.

Effexxor
May 26, 2008

Suicide Sam E. posted:

Looks like a seagull. The green - it was probably sprayed with poison at an airport or some other place where large numbers of birds are a problem.

Coming from a Midwestern background heavy in duckweed, I'd figured it was more like plant algae.

The 5th Foid
Nov 22, 2014

by Ralp
It's a bald eagle but the face has been squished . Source: 10 years of being an ornotholilgist and wind turbine tech.... Yeah, a kindof tragic intersection of study/career choice :(

Effexxor
May 26, 2008

The 5th Foid posted:

It's a bald eagle but the face has been squished . Source: 10 years of being an ornotholilgist and wind turbine tech.... Yeah, a kindof tragic intersection of study/career choice :(

I hope this is a joke, because that beak? Not an eagle.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Post in the birding thread that got moved to PI

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3566028

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Turtle without its shell

• Locked thread