Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

When I was very young, I developed a great love for Vegemite. You may think this odd, since I grew up in the US and not Australia, where this wonderful item hails from. However I was fortunate enough to be exposed to it, and thus I have been enjoying my morning toast spread with a thin layer of butter and then a thicker layer of Vegemite for many, many years. Breakfast is simply not the same without it. Vegemite is, of course, a yeast extract spread. It is made by taking the spent yeast from beer making, washing it of impurities, and then steeping it in water where it breaks down into its constituent proteins. It is then centrifuged, vacuum concentrated, and flavoured with celery, onion, and plenty of salt. I've tried lots of other yeast extracts, but none are the same. Unfortunately, the one thing Vegemite does not do is make a very nice hot drink. For that we must turn to

Bovril is what makes sporting events in the cold possible. It is what helped us defeat the Hun in two world wars. It is a manly drink which keeps hair on your chest. Made by pressure cooking beef carcasses and combining that broth with dehydrated meat powder, then concentrating the whole thing and flavoring with a bit of vegetable extract, Bovril is almost the only thing I want to or will drink when it is snowy and terrible outside. Unfortunately, it is nearly impossible to get in the United States these days, so I've taken to using an analogue made in North Carolina called Bovrite which is almost but not quite as good.

In this thread let us talk about the dark pasty extracts you enjoy, and if you don't enjoy dark pasty extracts then let those of us who do change your mind because they are very good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I was ignorant of Bovril until I saw it featured on an episode of Top Gear. I was hungry at the time and so so envious of James May drinking that hot delicious beefy goodness in the snowy Norwegian cold that I've wanted to try it ever since. As I reside in NC, could you tell me a bit about Bovrite?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

I buy it on amazon. It's got a bit too much celery flavor for my taste, but it does the trick since we can't get Bovril reliably in the States.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Hot Bovril spiked with a good glug of sherry is wonderful when making wreaths in a wood stove heated barn on a snowy evening. Or during a meal break while night snowshoeing. Or anytime you need a bracer while outdoors in brisk weather, really.

And if there is a USian knockoff that I can reasonably order without nagging the local Scot to have his parents drag over the pond on their next visit, then awesome :buddy:

E: I've heard a few South Africans swear by Bovril on toast, but I prefer molasses as my crotchety old person breakfast toast goop.

Butch Cassidy fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Dec 11, 2014

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I've tried Vegimite, it's just something I cant get over. Some primal disgust I have, triggering the lizard brain. And I drank straight up fermented yak butter tea once and didn't even vomit a little. This was in the SAME HOUR.

btw, Nassau Community College had some fantastic Culture Festival days back when I went.

I do want to try Bovril though. I already like a mug of hot chicken stock for a hearty breakfast when I make it fresh and it's been simmering overnight.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Unfortunately, the one thing Vegemite does not do is make a very nice hot drink.
Incorrect. Vegemite broth (a heaped teaspoon of Vegemite dissolved in a mug of hot water) is a lovely drink, and is great if you have a hangover or are feeling sick and can't keep food down. Or just if it's cold and you don't feel like tea or coffee.

Suspect Bucket posted:

I've tried Vegimite, it's just something I cant get over. Some primal disgust I have, triggering the lizard brain.
It's an acquired taste. A lot of people who tried it once and didn't like it made the mistake of trying too much too fast. If you're not used to it then the way to go is to get a nice thick bit of fresh bread with plenty of butter and just a little bit of Vegemite, or just the thinnest smear on a piece of toast. It's very strongly flavoured so a little bit goes a long way. You can also add some cheese, which is a nice combination that masks the flavour a little bit and may make it more palatable to people not used to it.

I also really like peanut butter with Vegemite. It sort of combines to not taste like either thing does on its own but makes a new hybrid flavour. And Vegemite, cheese and tomato sauce (ketchup) on toast is nice occasionally.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
So where do you buy your Vegemite in the US? Cost Plus World Market sells it here in San Diego, but it's not as cheap as I feel like I would like it to be.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Yeah, world market. The problem with them though is that they only sell the 220 gram jars. There used to be an import store that sold the 1 kilo jars and that owned bones.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
You people should all be ashamed of yourselves :colbert:

:britain:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
It's been a while since I tried either (both are collecting dust in the pantry) but IIRC Marmite is the more concentrated one?

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
Marmite is the more disgusting one.

I'm all about Vegemite. I like to make cheesies by toasting a vegemite and cheese open sandwich under the grill. The heat alters the taste of the vegemite slightly. It's very good.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Bob_McBob posted:

An English person I met recently who had just tried Vegemite told me it tastes exactly like English Marmite. Australian Marmite is something different though (and is terrible). There's also Promite (also terrible), and OzEmite, which I think is pretty much the same as Vegemite, though I've never tried it.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

I have English Marmite and Australian Vegemite. They're pretty close, but the Marmite has a more pungent face-souring punch to it. Vegemite being slightly milder, I can taste more hints of savory flavors.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Marmite is good, though more "vegetably" than Vegemite. It's also more syrupy, and thus harder to spread.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
I remember reading that New Zealand Marmite is different again?

As an ex-pat, I've resorted to making Aussie style meat pies from scratch at home. I like to put a bit of Vegemite in when making the meat filling.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
American, been eating Vegemite/Marmite in small quantities (a small jar tends to last me a year) ever since the Iraq War, where an Australian gave me an Aussie MRE and it had this toothpaste-like tube of Vegemite on it. I loved it on the military MRE crackers, and when I went back to the US on a Navy ship we stopped in Australia, and I bought more Vegemite and water biscuits there. Ever since then I keep a little around the house, and usually I eat it by toasting bread, spreading a little olive oil on it, and then a thin layer of Vegemite or Marmite. Occasionally I use it to add some savory to soups or rice.

For a while I was doing vegan as a personal challenge, so I started choosing Marmite because unlike the others it has B12 in it, which is otherwise really hard to get in a vegan diet.

I think it's great stuff, a really strong umami flavor condensed into an easy format.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

I got a jar of Vegemite from an Australian goon in a GBS snack exchange. It's good on buttered toast.

The Aussie who sent it said it's good for making grilled chicken: dilute with some hot water and brush it on the chicken before it goes in the oven. I ate it all on toast before I tried that.

Here, I have found a store that sells UK Marmite, and it's good too. Thin layer on really browned toast is the way to go.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
The other day I was talking about vegemite, and how after making a roast lamb or beef, you collect the juices in the tray, whack the tray over the stove, throw some flour in and water and make gravy, with the finishing touch being vegemite put in as well. It never makes as nice gravy without the vegemite.

HOW DOES THE REST OF THE WORLD MAKE GRAVY!??!

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

teacup posted:

The other day I was talking about vegemite, and how after making a roast lamb or beef, you collect the juices in the tray, whack the tray over the stove, throw some flour in and water and make gravy, with the finishing touch being vegemite put in as well. It never makes as nice gravy without the vegemite.

Worcestershire instead of vegemite is how I've always done it.

Fingolfin
Jan 30, 2006
insert optional text here
Promite > Vegemite - the eternal debate.

I use it to make the best grilled cheese toast too.

Never tried using it to finish off gravy though, will try that next time I roast.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
How does promite differ from vegemite and marmite? I've had both of those, but not promite.

I really like yeast extracts. I put vegemite into soups and things all the time, too. It's a different flavor from fish sauce, but similarly adds quite a bit of umami.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I prefer Marmite of all the mites, I like it best on buttered toast (you can mix the butter and 'mite before spreading if you want to and are a sensible person who keeps butter at room temperature.) It's good with cheese and pickles on toast, too. It's not bad in stir-fried rice, but you have to cut back on salt from other ingredients.

Once a year or so I'll buy a package of Pilsbury crescents and spread them with Marmite, a piece of cheddar, <whatever else> roll them up and bake them. Triple-bleached for your protection!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

How does promite differ from vegemite and marmite?

Promite is really sweet. It's awful.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

teacup posted:

Soy sauce, stock or powdered bouillon. Any source of glutamate works.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Bob_McBob posted:

This guy has a correct opinion.

Anyone else ever tried Natex? It claims to be a low-sodium alternative to *mite. I believe it is the single most disgusting thing I have ever put in my mouth.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

But... salt is one of the points of eating it. That's like low sodium soy sauce or something.

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
I encourage children who are bullied to kill themselves. In fact, I get off to it. Pedophilia-snuff films are the best. More abused children need to kill themselves.
Vegemite and butter on toasted crumpets is one of the most comforting foods ever. gently caress the haters.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Mr. Wiggles posted:

When I was very young, I developed a great love for Vegemite. You may think this odd, since I grew up in the US and not Australia, where this wonderful item hails from. However I was fortunate enough to be exposed to it, and thus I have been enjoying my morning toast spread with a thin layer of butter and then a thicker layer of Vegemite for many, many years. Breakfast is simply not the same without it. Vegemite is, of course, a yeast extract spread. It is made by taking the spent yeast from beer making, washing it of impurities, and then steeping it in water where it breaks down into its constituent proteins. It is then centrifuged, vacuum concentrated, and flavoured with celery, onion, and plenty of salt. I've tried lots of other yeast extracts, but none are the same. Unfortunately, the one thing Vegemite does not do is make a very nice hot drink. For that we must turn to

Bovril is what makes sporting events in the cold possible. It is what helped us defeat the Hun in two world wars. It is a manly drink which keeps hair on your chest. Made by pressure cooking beef carcasses and combining that broth with dehydrated meat powder, then concentrating the whole thing and flavoring with a bit of vegetable extract, Bovril is almost the only thing I want to or will drink when it is snowy and terrible outside. Unfortunately, it is nearly impossible to get in the United States these days, so I've taken to using an analogue made in North Carolina called Bovrite which is almost but not quite as good.

In this thread let us talk about the dark pasty extracts you enjoy, and if you don't enjoy dark pasty extracts then let those of us who do change your mind because they are very good.

lol if you don't make loving bonox over bovril

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Mr. Wiggles posted:

lol if you don't make loving bonox over bovril

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

e: double post

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

If you drank bovril instead, you would have the resolute strength of character to not double post.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Tiggum posted:

Promite is really sweet. It's awful.

That sounds awful for the usual uses, but better in a soup or gravy. Have you cooked with it at all?

E: that is, assuming you mean sweet for a yeast extract. Sugary vegemite sounds like the devil.

E: E: I really like *mites in golden gravy, which is a creamy sauce made primarily with nutritional yeast. It adds a nice meatiness to the otherwise velvety, slightly cheesy sauce

SymmetryrtemmyS fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Dec 15, 2014

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
Vegemite on buttered toast is great but adding some sliced avocado on top takes it to another level.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I may find a *mite soon to try. Does it need to be refrigerated? I'd think not, maybe, but I'd like to know beforehand.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Manuel Calavera posted:

I may find a *mite soon to try. Does it need to be refrigerated? I'd think not, maybe, but I'd like to know beforehand.

No, there's so much salt that any bacteria will die of thirst

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That's what I'd assumed! Just wanted to confirm though, thanks.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

GiantAmazonianOtter posted:

Vegemite and butter on toasted crumpets is one of the most comforting foods ever. gently caress the haters.

Vegemite and butter is the only thing to put on crumpets. Anything else is a wasted opportunity.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Tiggum posted:

Vegemite and butter is the only thing to put on crumpets. Anything else is a wasted opportunity.

clotted cream would like a word with you

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Bertrand Hustle posted:

clotted cream would like a word with you

And currant jam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I've seen Marmite sold in alongside baker's yeast in US supermarkets, since nobody here has any idea what the gently caress it is. I can't remember when or how I started liking it, but I was a huge Angophile growing up, and it was an English Thing.

Vegemite's okay, and the spreadability is a plus, but I've never gotten over its earwax-like consistency.

• Locked thread