Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Unfortunately, the one thing Vegemite does not do is make a very nice hot drink.
Incorrect. Vegemite broth (a heaped teaspoon of Vegemite dissolved in a mug of hot water) is a lovely drink, and is great if you have a hangover or are feeling sick and can't keep food down. Or just if it's cold and you don't feel like tea or coffee.

Suspect Bucket posted:

I've tried Vegimite, it's just something I cant get over. Some primal disgust I have, triggering the lizard brain.
It's an acquired taste. A lot of people who tried it once and didn't like it made the mistake of trying too much too fast. If you're not used to it then the way to go is to get a nice thick bit of fresh bread with plenty of butter and just a little bit of Vegemite, or just the thinnest smear on a piece of toast. It's very strongly flavoured so a little bit goes a long way. You can also add some cheese, which is a nice combination that masks the flavour a little bit and may make it more palatable to people not used to it.

I also really like peanut butter with Vegemite. It sort of combines to not taste like either thing does on its own but makes a new hybrid flavour. And Vegemite, cheese and tomato sauce (ketchup) on toast is nice occasionally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Bob_McBob posted:

You people should all be ashamed of yourselves :colbert:

:britain:
An English person I met recently who had just tried Vegemite told me it tastes exactly like English Marmite. Australian Marmite is something different though (and is terrible). There's also Promite (also terrible), and OzEmite, which I think is pretty much the same as Vegemite, though I've never tried it.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

How does promite differ from vegemite and marmite?

Promite is really sweet. It's awful.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

GiantAmazonianOtter posted:

Vegemite and butter on toasted crumpets is one of the most comforting foods ever. gently caress the haters.

Vegemite and butter is the only thing to put on crumpets. Anything else is a wasted opportunity.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

While doing some shopping the other day, I happened to be passing by a shop called Treats From Home which sells stuff from England, so I thought I may as well see for myself how Vegemite compares with Marmite.

"Hold up a minute," you're thinking, "that jar clearly says 'Our Mate'. What is this, some shoddy knockoff?" No, it's just a trademark issue. In Australia the name "Marmite" is owned by Sanitarium. Anyone in the UK who wants to try the Sanitarium version, I'm told, can find it under the name "NZ-Mite", although I wouldn't recommend it.

The first thing I noticed was the difference in texture. Vegemite is quite thick but very spreadable whereas the Marmite was gloopy like honey, and wanted to stick to the knife rather than the toast. The flavour was very similar, but the Marmite was a bit stronger and became a little overpowering after a few bites. There's not much in it, but I'd say Vegemite is definitely the superior option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Fo3 posted:

The marmite here is sold under licence by sanatarium, so it's different to the proper stuff. I can't be bothered tracking down or paying extra for the real British thing.
If you live in Sydney or Melbourne, Treats From Home has it.

ColdPie posted:

To be fair, Marmite was the first one I tried, so maybe it's just what I "got used to." But I found Vegemite to be way too sweet.
I bought some Marmite to try and found it mostly the same as Vegemite but a bit more sour, but weirdly the rest of my family seemed to think it was sweeter than Vegemite.

• Locked thread