Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

When I was very young, I developed a great love for Vegemite. You may think this odd, since I grew up in the US and not Australia, where this wonderful item hails from. However I was fortunate enough to be exposed to it, and thus I have been enjoying my morning toast spread with a thin layer of butter and then a thicker layer of Vegemite for many, many years. Breakfast is simply not the same without it. Vegemite is, of course, a yeast extract spread. It is made by taking the spent yeast from beer making, washing it of impurities, and then steeping it in water where it breaks down into its constituent proteins. It is then centrifuged, vacuum concentrated, and flavoured with celery, onion, and plenty of salt. I've tried lots of other yeast extracts, but none are the same. Unfortunately, the one thing Vegemite does not do is make a very nice hot drink. For that we must turn to

Bovril is what makes sporting events in the cold possible. It is what helped us defeat the Hun in two world wars. It is a manly drink which keeps hair on your chest. Made by pressure cooking beef carcasses and combining that broth with dehydrated meat powder, then concentrating the whole thing and flavoring with a bit of vegetable extract, Bovril is almost the only thing I want to or will drink when it is snowy and terrible outside. Unfortunately, it is nearly impossible to get in the United States these days, so I've taken to using an analogue made in North Carolina called Bovrite which is almost but not quite as good.

In this thread let us talk about the dark pasty extracts you enjoy, and if you don't enjoy dark pasty extracts then let those of us who do change your mind because they are very good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

I buy it on amazon. It's got a bit too much celery flavor for my taste, but it does the trick since we can't get Bovril reliably in the States.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Yeah, world market. The problem with them though is that they only sell the 220 gram jars. There used to be an import store that sold the 1 kilo jars and that owned bones.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Marmite is good, though more "vegetably" than Vegemite. It's also more syrupy, and thus harder to spread.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

But... salt is one of the points of eating it. That's like low sodium soy sauce or something.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

If you drank bovril instead, you would have the resolute strength of character to not double post.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

ColdPie posted:

I can't get enough of this loving poo poo!

Seriously I'm going through a jar of marmite like every two weeks. I have butter-marmite toast almost daily. I miss it if I don't have it. What have you done to me?

You have become a better, more well-seasoned person.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Hey, cool. That's some Marmite.

I buy Vegemite in 1 kg pails with little handles. :smugdog:

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

I melted equal parts Vegemite and butter together last night and poured it over popcorn. Very good this is probably my new standard. Don't know why I never did it before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

There is no other kind but that in the green can.

• Locked thread