Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I was at World Market today and bought some Marmite because of this thread. They had Vegemite, too, but it was twice the volume and price of the Marmite, so I went with Marmite.

Holy cow it tastes like concentrated salt. I put a thin smear across buttered toast and then drank like a liter of water. There's a bit of a savory, meaty aftertaste. It's like if you boiled down a gravy into the thickest paste you could make. I wouldn't say it's disgusting or anything, but it felt like drinking straight soy sauce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I can't get enough of this loving poo poo!

Seriously I'm going through a jar of marmite like every two weeks. I have butter-marmite toast almost daily. I miss it if I don't have it. What have you done to me?

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Birb Katter posted:

I'm :australia: so marmite is heresy but you can make a hot drink out of your vegemite (or marmite you sick freak) by adding a chunk to hot water and dissolving it. Something a bit different for your late night warm drink in winter.

They've don't carry vegemite at my supermarket, but I'll pick up a jar next time I'm at World Market.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

You can buy a loving kilo (2 x 500g jars) on Amazon for twenty bucks. They've got other permutations too, like 4 x 125g or 2 x 250g. But the kilo is the best price and I don't think even a 500g jar will go bad any time soon.

I bought some Vegemite. I can see why people are fierce about their preference. It's similar, but very noticeably different. Far sweeter and less intense than Marmite. I'm reserving judgment for now until I've tried more.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Well, it may have caused my fiancee to call it off, two visits from the DHS, an audit on my taxes, and I've been ostracized from my neighborhood, but

I now own a kilogram of Marmite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

redweird posted:

As an Australian I'd rather blow my brains out than eat Marmite over Vegemite.

To be fair, Marmite was the first one I tried, so maybe it's just what I "got used to." But I found Vegemite to be way too sweet. At times it tasted like a really dark chocolate spread. It wasn't bad, and I finished the whole jar, but Marmite has this ridiculous tang that actually burns your mouth. It's addicting instead of just tasty.

• Locked thread