Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Thanks for the helpful info! It looks like I'll probably skip out on the other Juarez games for now. I'm a big fan of roguelikes and a passive 4X player (I enjoy them, but haven't had one that really sunk its teeth into me--hopefully Endless Legend will be the one to do it), so the Endless games sound like must-buys!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

AlmightyBob posted:

Cards seem to be dropping too, I had some $.25 stuff that has almost halved now.
That is a very good thing.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Agrias120 posted:

If I played and loved Call of Juarez: Gunslinger (I'd say it is probably one of my favorite games I played this year), is it worth picking up the original or Bound by Blood, or have they not aged well? Along the same lines, does anyone have good recommendations for Dungeon of the Endless or Endless Legend? The reviews look solid for them and I think I might hop on them as last minute purchases.

Bound in Blood is good, you can skip the original.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Anonymous Robot posted:

Bound in Blood is good, you can skip the original.

And DEFINITELY skip The Cartel. It forgot everything good about the series.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Mokinokaro posted:

And DEFINITELY skip The Cartel. It forgot everything good about the series.

Eh.

Like yeah, it's not a great game, with an extremely racist/sexist plot, unlikeable characters, and oddly bad level design at times.

But the whole secret agent minigame/fact everyone gets different ingame storylines that actually have everyone working against each other/splitting up at certain points in the mission to screw over their teammates is kind of neat. If you can get 3 people together to run through it, it's set up in such a way that it's somewhat interesting from the perspective of "This could have actually been really cool if they had more time/skill to make these ideas work.". Even outside of that the three of you will probably be laughing at how bad the plot/certain sequences are, so it's not even a total wash there.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Erebus posted:

I dunno if going from 50 cents a bag to 47 is a sign that the bottom is dropping out.

Also I can't imagine bags would ever get close to 25 cents. I mean, there are just way too many booster packs with cards that would sell for more than that. People don't notice a penny here or there, but they would eventually catch on to buying a bag of gems for a quarter and getting 50 cents worth of cards.

A lot of the cards are only valuable because there was no way to inject more into the economy other than the ghastly-slow process of waiting for boosters to be released, and those are all contingent on someone biting the bullet and crafting a badge in the first place. With a new way (boost pack creator) to get cards to market, the cards' values will drop, which will make gems less attractive as 50¢ to craft a booster of 3 8¢ cards (which net you just 18¢). It's cyclical and naturally-correcting. I know I've gotten a steady income from selling crafted packs of game I own that are rare-ish, but those are getting down to the 1-2¢ point where it isn't worth it.

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

GreatGreen posted:

So it looks like STYX: Master of Shadows auto-minimizes on startup and will not un-minimize, meaning the game is completely unplayable for me.

Anybody else had this issue?

I've had this issue with a few different games over the years, and have always been able to solve it by switching focus back to it (either via alt-tab or by just clicking on it in the taskbar) which causes it to un-minimize momentarily and then just madly clicking on poo poo (mouse, keyboard, everything at once) before it drops back to the task bar again. Sometimes it takes a few tries, but eventually something "sticks" and it will stay maximized.

Usually I only have to fix it once (the first start-up) and then it starts properly after closing out and restarting, but with at least one game (Dark Messiah, if I remember correctly), I have to do the button-mashy dance every time I start it up.

Hopefully it's the same thing, and this will help. :)

I actually haven't started Styx up yet, but I'll post back if I get the same thing.

Retroblique
Oct 16, 2002

Now the wild world is lost, in a desert of smoke and straight lines.

Freak Futanari posted:

I bought Watch Dogs in the sale and it is incredible and i like it.
I bought the PS4 version for $20 on Amazon instead of the PC version for $30 on Steam so that I could use that $10 I saved on Shovel Knight. :v:

I've been enjoying it too. Sure, the main plot is dull and I'm pretty sure the game's mechanics are going to get old at some point, as most Ubisoft open-world games invariably do, but 4 hours in and I'm still having fun just exploring the city, triggering random missions, thwarting all the other players who attempt to invade my game with their trailing/hacking exploits, etc. Maybe if I'd paid $60 for the game I'd be a lot less enthused, but for $20 it's a pretty solid experience and a million miles away from being "worst game evar!!!1"

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Agrias120 posted:

If I played and loved Call of Juarez: Gunslinger (I'd say it is probably one of my favorite games I played this year), is it worth picking up the original or Bound by Blood, or have they not aged well? Along the same lines, does anyone have good recommendations for Dungeon of the Endless or Endless Legend? The reviews look solid for them and I think I might hop on them as last minute purchases.

The original CoJ rightfully gets talked about less but despite some infuriatingly bad parts, bad (although also incredibly simple) stealth sections and really bad first person punching sections, I think its a game worth playing. The Ray McCall sections are much better than the other characters' because its just blowing away bandits, plus you can pull out a bible and quote scripture while you do so. As a more standard FPS Bound in Blood is good though, it also has a similar version of the duelling that is in Gunslinger.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Watch dogs is awful sans multiplayer

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

i still want watchdogs. i should have got it for "free" with stick of truth when that was happening

Spoke Lee
Dec 31, 2004

chairizard lol

Spoke Lee posted:

I'm looking to get 2 copies of Tabletop Sim, anyone have 2? If not if 2 others are looking, or another looking for 2 copies, I'll buy a 4 pack if you paypal me your share.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/spokelee/

Gonna give this one more try before I pull the trigger on this in case anyone is interested in the next hour or so.

Why Anything
Apr 15, 2006
Because everything. Obviously.
Do any of the ARMA games have a single player campaign that's halfway worthwhile? I enjoyed playing the original Operation flashpoint on the Cold War way back when, but do any of the newer games stack up similarly?

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
For anybody on the fence about getting You Need a Budget, but rationalizing not to because "I can just make a spreadsheet that will do the same thing," ...no you can't. You seriously cannot. The program is extremely robust and well thought out. The metrics and reporting alone are amazing. Entering and organizing your data is really intuitive and the categorization system is extremely customizable. I would have paid full price for this app if I'd have known what I was getting.

a helpful bear
Aug 18, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

I just went in for Fusion.

I played so much of Trials Evolution on the 360 that I couldn't resist the full package. Trials Fusion is basically Trials, and so is great. If you like Trials, go for it, you won't be disappointed at the price.

Also, it's loving gorgeous and the graphics enhance the utter ridiculousness of the tracks.

Thanks for this recommendation. Is it worth it for the Deluxe Edition at nearly double the price ($24)?

Aristophanes
Aug 11, 2012

Quickly, bring me a beaker of wine, so that I may wet my mind and say something clever!

Sonance posted:

I bought the PS4 version for $20 on Amazon instead of the PC version for $30 on Steam so that I could use that $10 I saved on Shovel Knight. :v:

I've been enjoying it too. Sure, the main plot is dull and I'm pretty sure the game's mechanics are going to get old at some point, as most Ubisoft open-world games invariably do, but 4 hours in and I'm still having fun just exploring the city, triggering random missions, thwarting all the other players who attempt to invade my game with their trailing/hacking exploits, etc. Maybe if I'd paid $60 for the game I'd be a lot less enthused, but for $20 it's a pretty solid experience and a million miles away from being "worst game evar!!!1"

A friend of mine got it in a bundle with his PS4 and basically got obsessed with the multiplayer hacking and invading stuff. He got in the top 1% for hacking, and seemed to play constantly. Then one day he upped and quit, and traded the game away. He said he just got sick of doing the same thing over and over. He said the plot really kinda sucked, but since he managed to sink around maybe 100 hours just doing the hacking stuff then you really do get your money's worth.

Obese FYAD Reject posted:

Thanks for this recommendation. Is it worth it for the Deluxe Edition at nearly double the price ($24)?

I went on it. I'd say it's worth it for all the extra tracks it gets you, though a few DLC packs are yet to unlock because they haven't been released.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Fun Times! posted:

Anyone else finding it impossible to launch Transistor? Windows' event report is telling me it's an issue with kernelbase.dll, and all other games work fine. Windows 7.
I've tried every fix I've come across short of reinstalling Windows to no avail. :(

What, nono. Go to the transistor directory and reinstall the redistributible c++ dlls. Called something like msvcredist.exe.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I've only put about 4 hours into it, but Super Time Force Ultra seems like a pretty fun 2D Shooter with an interesting mechanic: You can control time. The ability to "pause" and fast-forward/rewind through everything that that has happened (basically like a recording) allows you to do some funky things. For instance, if you dump a bunch of shots into an enemy, pause, rewind, and then go back to when you first started shooting, you can jump back into the "loop" as a second copy (or a third...or fourth...etc.) of your character, thereby killing the enemy faster. You're encouraged to use this mechanic to coordinate feats that would be impossible--or at least very difficult--with a single character, like killing an opponent and simultaneously catching a fragile item that spawns on the enemy before it smashes on the ground.

There are a bunch of characters to choose from (initially three, but I think there are close to twenty characters in the roster) that mix things up further by each coming with different skills. You might start as a character who uses a shield block shots and create protective bubbles, then rewind and respawn as a character with a rocket launcher, taking advantage of the bubble created by the first character to shoot down enemies with relative impunity. It definitely puts a twist on the typical 2D platforming shooter.

After a mandatory 3-level introductory chapter, you gain the ability to hop between six chapters (presented as different ridiculous eras), as well as explore a "holodeck" area that is comprised of 50 increasingly difficult puzzles that rely on the player combining the time-travel mechanic with different characters in order to solve them. Lots of stuff to do, goals to reach, and poo poo to unlock.

The humor is meh, but it doesn't really take away from what's a pretty fun platforming shooter. It was 60% off at one point during the sale, but it still might not be a bad deal at 40% off if you really like 2D shooters.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
7hm sent me a surprise ticket for a trip to Wasteland 2! I'll be traveling heavy for this one.

Cerri
Apr 27, 2006
Have some Steambux leftover, want to grab one final game. Feeling like something dark and moody.

The Cat Lady, or This War of Mine?

snipermonkey
Jun 30, 2010
So what is this about selling gems? I haven't really followed the whole gems thing. All i know about them is the gem auction thing and that you can use them to craft booster packs or something.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

GreatGreen posted:

For anybody on the fence about getting You Need a Budget, but rationalizing not to because "I can just make a spreadsheet that will do the same thing," ...no you can't. You seriously cannot. The program is extremely robust and well thought out. The metrics and reporting alone are amazing. Entering and organizing your data is really intuitive and the categorization system is extremely customizable. I would have paid full price for this app if I'd have known what I was getting.

Seconding this. $15 is a steal for YNAB.

Unbalanced
Sep 29, 2005

Cerri posted:

Have some Steambux leftover, want to grab one final game. Feeling like something dark and moody.

The Cat Lady, or This War of Mine?

I haven't played This War of Mine and can only recommend it based on hearsay, but I would suggest choosing that one. I love The Cat Lady and gush about it whenever it comes up, but there is zero discount on it right now and it routinely shows up in bundles. This War of Mine on the other hand is a well received, fairly new title and won't see a significant price drop for at least a few months.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

:siren: 5 hours left in the sale so here are some more hidden cheap gems :siren: :
  • The Room - a very cool puzzle game with gorgeous graphics which is a bit like those "find a way to exit the room" games but with finding a way to open a box.
  • Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale - a cute dungeon crawler combined with a shop running sim. Owns.
  • BattleBlock Theater - save your friends by performing in a theater in front of a cat audience.
  • Super House of Dead Ninjas - a 2d action platformer where you're a crazy ninja.
  • Hotline Miami - slaughter a room full of dudes in 2 seconds while an insane soundtrack pumps adrenaline into your heart.
  • Defender's Quest - the best tower defense game ever made, it has the quality of those addictive browser games that started the genre.
  • LYNE - a minimalist puzzle game.
  • Primordia - one of the best adventure games of recent years. Set in a dystopian sci-fi world it has the quality of those old-school classics.
  • Brothers - a game experimenting with the meaning of character control in the medium. Requires a gamepad to run.
  • Papers, Please - an evil dictatorship border control simulator.
  • Antichamber - one of those FPS puzzle games that were inspired by Portal but this one is quite challenging and does its own thing.
  • Thomas Was Alone - what if Tetris was an adventure platformer?
  • Super Hexagon - jesus gently caress my eyes.
  • Kingdom Rush - another really great tower defense games with cool graphics.
  • Machinarium - a masterpiece in the point'n'click adventure genre.
  • Space Rangers HD: A War Apart - a space sim rpg adventure rts with a text component.
Ok I'm spent.

I Am Frick
Mar 26, 2004

The lesser half
of Frick and Frack
Well, my final haul... 32 titles purchased, spending $221.82. The regular price of all those items was $881.65, so I saved $659.83.

My goal was to keep the average at 75% saved, and I did exactly that. Not bad, if you ask me.

Horrible, if you ask my wife.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

I Am Frick posted:

Well, my final haul... 32 titles purchased, spending $221.82. The regular price of all those items was $881.65, so I saved $659.83.

My goal was to keep the average at 75% saved, and I did exactly that. Not bad, if you ask me.

Lesson for next year (or the summer): don't ask your wife. What a silly mistake to make.

I Am Frick
Mar 26, 2004

The lesser half
of Frick and Frack

Tippis posted:

Lesson for next year (or the summer): don't ask your wife. What a silly mistake to make.

"Jesus Christ [Frick], when are you ever going to play those games?!?!?"

She sounds like my mom. Women just don't understand.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

I Am Frick posted:

"Jesus Christ [Frick], when are you ever going to play those games?!?!?"

She sounds like my mom. Women just don't understand.

My wife has a drawer full of nail products that she's never even touched. A lot of it I bought for her because she wanted it. Surely you have something similar to use against her in this situation.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I've almost made it through this whole sale without buying Alien: Isolation or Wolfenstein: The New Order but it is so goddamn tempting.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Thanks to Tater Salad for gifting me Gearcrack Arena whatever that is. Looks loving awful :v:.

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005
"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free do to anything"
Amazon and Greenmangaming (for those with reward credit left) has A Story about my Uncle for 75 OFF, and a bit cheaper than on Steam, if anyone missed it previously:
http://isthereanydeal.com/#/page:game/info?plain=astoryaboutmyuncle

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Manatee Cannon posted:

I've almost made it through this whole sale without buying Alien: Isolation or Wolfenstein: The New Order but it is so goddamn tempting.

In the historical and always relevant words of Socrates: do it! DO IT!

In other news, I apparently managed to maintain a 77% rebate ratio throughout the sale. That's far better than I expected since I felt a lot of it was just 50% off and never got a daily/flash sale. *pats self on head for spending foolishly wisely*

Ikari Worrier
Jul 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Palpek posted:

Thanks to Tater Salad for gifting me Gearcrack Arena whatever that is. Looks loving awful :v:.

That game looked dire as hell, but it cost 9 cents and I sold its trading cards for 15 cents. :shepspends:

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

I Am Frick posted:

Lol if you spent less than $500 during this sale.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Lol if you spent less than $50 during this sale.

:smith:

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

I was raised on the dairy, Bitch!

snipermonkey posted:

So what is this about selling gems? I haven't really followed the whole gems thing. All i know about them is the gem auction thing and that you can use them to craft booster packs or something.
If you have 1000 gems, you can put them in a sack. Sacks of gems are marketable and tradable.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Palpek posted:

It is, the right way to win is to play via idle master.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Infidel Castro posted:

Seconding this. $15 is a steal for YNAB.

It is showing up as $45 so I guess the heavy discount is gone?

gargamale
Oct 11, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Required Borderlands 2 DLC? Ive got 2 dollars beyond the price of the base game I got from trading card sales.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

That's the way to go, if you fall behind on pc current releases it's easy to stay there. I picked up a bunch of 1-2 year old games to work through this year, looking forward to getting Alien, Shadows of Mordor, and Endless Legend for like $7.50 each in the 2015 sale!

• Locked thread