Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Saw a bad post in Games and it reminded me of the struggles we've faced here in this thread. Over there they haven't learned that defending a poo poo video game "because you can make your own fun" and fun is subjective is an awful loving defense.

Eonwe posted:

same but ironically

but yo duder, nobody is saying this is a great game, people are saying this is a fun game

there are a lot of fun things to do IF YOU ARE GOOD AT MAKING YOUR OWN FUN

its basically a zombie sandbox story generator

like Blazing Zero seems to be the chief of the Pleasant Valley PD, we have opti the driver with a heart of gold and a foot of lead, we run in the middle of the night across the map in the rain to a base with three poo poo shacks and destroy it and steal all their poo poo

but if you aren't good at finding your own fun or you are running around solo its really boring

It's too perfect a parallel. "Maybe it's not well designed but IT'S FUN", a loving zombie theme, "story generator" and accusing the person pointing out hideous design flaws of just not knowing how to have fun. It's like a super condensed version of every awful argument we've ever had in this thread and it's beautiful and terrifying at the same time.

e: I mean then again it is Eonwe, so maybe it's just trolling delivered in dead pan. But I choose to believe.

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jan 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Debawv posted:

I picked up Xia: Legends of a Drift System on Amazon yesterday.The sandbox approach really appealed to e in board game form. Anyone have any strong feelings one way or another about this game?

It's poo poo in every way but production values. Don't buy it.

If you really crave a similar experience just get Merchants and Marauders. M&M isn't a perfect game by any means and it has some flaws, but it has the a similar overall theme/feel without rules that are complete pants on head retarded like Xia.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
The rules in Xia say that if you roll a natural 20 at any time it's an instant victory point. So I guess you can roll for a dispute, get a 20, and come out of the dispute with a victory point? I don't know if that's correct but if someone says it's not I'd dispute them over it.

e: derp, natural 20 not D20

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jan 20, 2015

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Big McHuge posted:

I'm not sure I'm willing to stoop so low as to argue clear rules just to try and roll more d20s (unless the rules actually are a shitfest and unclear). I was hoping to hear suggestions about specific game-breaking strategies or tips.

For example, in Merchants and Marauders, don't be a Marauder.

I don't think we have any because the game is such a hyper random shitfest that the only winning strategy is "do whatever you want and get good rolls".

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Kai Tave posted:

" Playtime went about 90 minutes, and ended at Day Phase 4 with a cunning victory by the brand new player who leveraged an Escape card to pull a rope-a-dope on me, scoring a battle victory point on the counter-attack and reclaiming the temple I'd booted him out of.

Just an fyi the game can't end in the day phase because reaching the VP threshold doesn't trigger victory. The trigger is one or more players having 10 VP when night falls.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

T-Bone posted:

Played a sort of test run of Game of Thrones last night, it was a bit fiddly for some members of my group at first but lots of fun once we got going. Can't wait to play a full game next week (and I made drat sure we're playing with 6).

Good man.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I have no idea what "The Oatmeal" is and I'm glad for that.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

admanb posted:

Also I imagine it's a lot more tolerable when you spend $5 on a PC version and watch the game play itself then it is when you spend $60+ on the board game then have to setup and manage all the bullshit while making zero actual decisions.

This is the kicker. $5 digital download Talisman is a great value since it's a quick game to gently caress around in and laugh at funny stuff happening and the computerized assistance makes it flow nice and quickly. $60 Talisman is a slow and painful piece of poo poo that cost way too much just to slowly process a game with no decisions and no purpose.

Digital Talisman is fine, especially for just loving about on voice chat or for some time wasting against AI. Physical Talisman sucks hard.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Zark the Damned posted:

Looks like someone put CitOW back on the wrong shelf after their game.

The category labels are above the shelves right?

I think it's best we just tell ourselves that.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Mega64 posted:

Round 6 comes along, and L1z1x takes Bureaucracy and draws the Game Over card. After he claims an objective, we're both at six points with Sol guy at five. I needed the "Spend 10 influence objective" to hit 7 and win, since we both had equal objectives and L1z1x would win "most planets" tiebreaker (I had the sole marker on "I control Mecatol"). If I lost either of two planets next to Mecatol, I was toast, which was the L1z1x guy's plan. So as a desperate gambit, I declared I was going to kingmake the Sol guys in a hope to get the two against each other and have them ignore me (and hey, the Sol guy was upfront the entire game about wrecking my poo poo and was a newbie, so I'm still an rear end in a top hat), since Sol would've gotten 6 and was close enough in planets to win tiebreaker. The amazing thing is that this worked, as the L1z1x guy got nervous and decided to take planets instead of take my first planet with his War Suns (though the five Dreadnoughts I had there was a helpful deterrent, and I had the "Repair damaged ships" card so I probably would've won that one), and then the other two players attacked each other to gain each others' planets, arranging it so that neither could reach my other planet, leaving me with the influence needed to get my seventh and win the game. Sneaky, underhanded and pretty drat scummy thing to do, but hey, it got me the win.

Wowzers... uh I hate to break it to you but you lost that game. L1z1x won and you guys played really, really wrong. The "Game Over" card (Imperium Rex) is not "declare a winner at the end of the round". It is "end the game right now, I mean this instant motherfucker". You don't wait for the end of round, hell you don't even finish processing the bureaucracy card. The instant that card hits the table face up everything comes to a complete stop and a winner is declared. If you guys were tied on points but L1z1x had more planets when that card hit the table then he won the game. There should not have been any play past that point.

edit: Actually I'm trying to make sure I'm deciphering this correctly. He claimed an objective after Imperium Rex hit that table? And that put him at six points? If that's the case then it was an illegal but also totally nonsensical move based on misunderstanding. It basically means he chose to play a card that directly made you the victor with no other effect. At that point the scenario is so clogged with rules errors/misunderstandings that I would declare the game a wash.

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jan 25, 2015

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Mister Sinewave posted:

Don't get me wrong, I really am looking forward to seeing how your game works but I just am uh getting a few subtle hints that I am not the intended audience.

Did you miss the part about the super anime robot!?!?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Capsaicin posted:

What is the best digital versions of these board games? Preferably for PC. Is it still BSW? Or are there good games on Steam?

So far, my favorite board games I've played have been Lords of Waterdeep, Dog, Voluspa, Kingdom Builder, Roll Through the Ages, and Dominion.

When you say "these board games" do you mean something recently discussed, or thread favorites, or just board games in general?

PC options are still limited. BSW is still a good source. More board games are starting to come on PC here there but it's still a small selection. You've basically got Talisman, Witcher Adventure Game, Space Hulk, and Small World. There are probably a couple others but I can't think of them off the top of my head.

I like Witcher Adventure Game personally but it doesn't resonate with a lot of people here. Also it requires human players that you already know. The offline is poo poo, the online pickup community is non-existent.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Kemet is a great game but neither "not super competitive" nor "good with two" are phrases that accurately describe.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

admanb posted:

If you're asking how you play a game for the first time without looking like an idiot, you don't. Just suck it up and have fun.

The caveat to this is DO read the rules and do everything you can to prepare if hosting a game for people who haven't played before either. We all have a horror story of showing up for a new game nobody has played and the host just whips out the manual and starts reading it for the first time right then and there. Don't be that guy because that guy loving sucks.

But yeah for online version of a game just jump on in.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

disperse posted:

I was thinking about printing out a step-by-step guide for port actions for the next time I play.

Did you buy your copy used or was their a big reprint of the game or something? My box came with four copies of a quick reference sheet that includes every detail of the port action.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Elyv posted:

How is Kemet for two?

Fungah! posted:

Not good at all.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

BonHair posted:

Seriously, doesn't that count as destroying goods somehow?

If anyone is familiar with customs procedures please correct me, but I have a hunch the situation is being greatly exaggerated and they're just using customs as an easy scapegoat for their own fuckups.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

PerniciousKnid posted:

Yeah but, nobody who spends their nights screaming at people to give him coolant and balance could be a bad person.

Broken Loose posted:

I wish you were banned. You're a terrible loving gimmick, and if you aren't a gimmick, I wish nothing but absolute agony on you. I hope you wake up to your loved one's cold corpse in the passenger seat of your car, leaving you nothing a barrage of bile and hatred from her family and a piercing trauma that gives you panic attacks each time you see the loving sun rise. The fact that a person like you could conceivably exist and is keeping this company afloat is why McCain and Palin achieved more than 0 votes in the 2008 election. You are proof that this world is hell. I would rather these forums be populated by nothing but 7thBatallions, Noctis Horrendaes, TheBluePyramids, and Hollismasons all hopped up on drugs, fashioning greenstuff teeth for each other and bashing together Hammerheads out of dog poo poo and chicken bones, than ever be confirmed that you genuinely believe the puke-ocalypse of fanaticism and horseshit that you expouse online. gently caress.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Back that kickstarter folks.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Just like Exploding Memes and Cards for Racism make me realize how unfair I've been to Catan, dice tower makes me appreciate SU&SD so much more.

Relativity is everything.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

jmzero posted:

Second: they don't actually play that many games - they make videos and go to conventions and read rules and whatever, but they're not playing games with any regularity (or at least any variety).

I kind of suspect it might be the opposite. Like, the play a poo poo load of games exactly one time, so everything they say about it is limited to the kind of superficial bullshit you can actually deduce from a single play.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Who cares about ranking them against each other when all three are garbage no matter how you slice it?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Hra Mormo posted:

gently caress, what's a terrible game that gets good with the expansion

Twilight Imperium 3.

Alternatively if video game analogies suffice then every Civilization game made in the last ten years.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Sgt. Anime Pederast posted:

Which expansion is needed? It is my aspiration to one day play TI3

Shattered Empire is the semi-mandatory one. It's needed to give the game sane strategy cards and objectives, the other goodies are gravy on top. Shards of the Throne has some goodies too but isn't nearly as important and should be left alone until you have a few games under your belt anyway.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Jedit posted:

Oh, and Xia, but they'll be saying how loving terrible it is.

"All right folks it's been a great year but the winner is....."

*rolls a D20*

*die shows 20*

"... Xia!"

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Lorini posted:

Guys if you want an economic board game like game on a computer, look no further than Offworld Trading Company. It's in Early Access on Steam, $36.99 until 2/19 then $39.99. It's totally market driven with nastiness, can't get much better than that :). Watch the tutorials to get a sense of how it plays.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCasmHPTajRU9kXWHjJqJD_g

I can't watch the video until I get home but I can't imagine anything in it that would convince me to spend $36.99 on an early access digital board game.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Crackbone posted:

LORINI!!!!!!! :argh:

You were the whole reason I backed the KS.

Don't back Kickstarters.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Can't wait for the scene where the plucky heroes return to the homestead to find an entire stack of lumber missing while a cloaked figure slips out the back and pushes a cart out into the night to the tune of "Smooth Criminal".

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Archenteron posted:

Back Final Attack :colbert:

Were you even reading?

Clockwork Gadget posted:

tl;dr: don't back kickstarters, you dummy.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Even Broken Loose himself doesn't poo poo up the thread with shilling, he keeps it to the Kickstarter games thread (or whatever). You guys should follow his example.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
As an addendum, don't play seven player games of 7 Wonders because it's poo poo with that many people anyway.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
"I unironically believe that my luck is objectively worse than that of other individuals"

-A Game Designer

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Broken Loose posted:

This, as a response to me saying, "I have a poo poo time with games because I routinely experience worse-than-average experiences," just comes off as you announcing that you're a stupid, smug rear end in a top hat. At the level of somebody going, "Why don't poor people just buy more money?"

Haha, what? Are you comparing being made fun of for believing you are cursed with bad luck in games to making fun of someone for being poor?

Because that's some good poo poo man.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Broken Loose posted:

Okay, I'll put it this way: Bad things happen to me, both in and out of games. Some of it is within statistical norms and some if it is wildly out the ordinary. I therefore operate under the expectation that bad things will continue to happen in circumstances out of my control, such as card draws, dice rolls, being put in jail for a month over a paperwork error, getting testicular torsion in my sleep, fighting game mixup situations, waking up to my girlfriend's corpse, and tons of other things. Assuming otherwise would be literally insane given my experiences. It would be the gambler's fallacy to assume that any given RNG would treat me well under the guise of fairness. Why would I? I'm AWARE the other sides of the dice exist, I just don't see the point in attempting to roll anymore.

So yeah, if you're like, "That's bullshit! Nobody with a brain could actually end up thinking that life isn't completely fair! Things are perfectly fair and statistically average for ME and my friends all the time!" then yes, it comes off a lot like a spoiled rich kid who hasn't ever had to worry about how they're going to heat their home and eat simultaneously in the winter. I generally don't bring it up because somebody like you inevitably goes on a tirade about how I'm apparently mistaken and nothing bad has ever happened to me.

Do you realize that what you are writing sounds insane? Like, I'm not even making fun of you anymore because I think you need therapy or something. You sound like you've been traumatized by past events and see the world as set against you.

I would just write the post off as an internet-standard hyperbole post if I didn't know that I'm reading about events that have actually happened to you. Talk to somebody.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Fungah! posted:

he designs games based on that hatred.

I like the idea of "hate based game design".

A new frontier of design theory.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
You just have to lol at the general idea of people apologizing for attacking each other in Risk.

If a game could convert them Kemet is probably a good candidate, or they may just be babbies beyond redemption. You know them better than we do.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Taste the Rainbugh posted:

Why? What am I missing?

Nothing, haha!

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Mojo Jojo posted:

The politicial deck is a bit balls as lots of the cards aren't interesting enough. Politics II (or whatever the one that gives you a politics hand is called) tries to fix this, but doesn't really manage.

You're thinking of the Assembly card and yeah it's stupid as hell. It has the opposite effect since for some inane reason they decided to let you spend political cards as a trade good so everyone just empties their hand ASAP.

Really the best way to make the politics more interesting is to vet the deck and take a bunch of poo poo out. Just remove any card that meets one or more of the following criteria...

- One of the outcomes is "no effect"
- Can have no effect based on game state (basically anything involving neutral planets)
- The effect(s) apply equally to everyone
- No matter what the vote is the effect is very minor

Also if you like talking about TI3 come on down to the thread.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3651978

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Zveroboy posted:

I'm having a few friends over in a couple weeks for Tabletop Day and I feel that my collection is still missing a sort of grand "centerpiece" game. Something that would last a few hours, get us talking, scheming, teaming up, backstabbing and warring. I'm lookng at A Game of Thrones: The Board Game, how does that play with 4 people?

Obviously if there's going to be four of us, Chaos in the Old World ticks the boxes as well. AGoT has the advantage that my girlfriend also really enjoys the show, so it wouldn't be a massive leap to get her to play it when there's enough people, whereas the worlds of Warhammer or D&D are pretty unknown to her.

What are the science fiction offerings? I have a distinct lack of sci-fi games (only Quantum and Cosmic Encounter at the moment, but I plan on culling Cosmic from my collection soon) so something of that genre would be nice, but I don't know much about Eclipse and all I know about Twilight Imperium is it might be too long?

Game of Thrones is very subpar at four players. It's so broken that house rules are mandatory to have a match that isn't a joke at that level. As someone who owns and enjoys the game with six players, I can say without reservation that you should not even consider purchasing it for a four person group. It's a six player only game. Five if you're really desperate and do the house rule.

Twilight Imperium is a good game and it works fine with four players. However yes it is very long and fiddly for new groups. Also keep in mind that it is a huge burden to host this game. The host must have near encyclopedic knowledge of the rules in order to do it right without going hours over your time estimate. Just today some guy posted in the thread about his first game and gave props to his friend's clever winning move. Then we all had to explain why his friend's move was not only illegal, but illegal in two different ways, and it's actually impossible that he won because they hosed the whole thing up. That said it's probably the most intense and exciting strategy game I've ever played and worth it if you're willing to go through the effort. It's great but it's a commitment.

Chaos is the Old World I haven't played but it's nearly universally praised by anyone who really cares/knows about game mechanics. That said the theme is a turnoff for some people and if you're group is not used to (or just bad) at strategy games then the balance will take a few games to shake out and whoever playes Khorne will win. Probably the best option overall unless your friends hate the theme.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

elgarbo posted:

Contrary to other opinions, I've only ever played with four and enjoyed it each time. That said, we house ruled the heck out of it - cut Dorne out entirely. I can see why five or six would add to the craziness of it, but with four we ended up with these incredibly tense standoffs, two versus two.

Don't listen to this man. If you do listen to this man however then at least listen to him all the way and house rule the heck out of it.

But just not listening is better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

fozzy fosbourne posted:

HAS ANYONE PLAYED THE FEAST FOR CROWS EXPANSION 4 PLAYER?

CAN ANYONE HEAR ME IN HERE?

Yes we can hear you. But chances are that almost anyone who has the game gave up on trying to play it with four players a long time ago. It's too little, too late. The game is cemented in people's minds as a six player title and I wouldn't be surprised if next to nobody owns it (the expansion) for that reason.

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Mar 24, 2015