Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Tiny Chalupa posted:

So we are looking for a more "in-depth game" to add to our collection. It appears 4xx is the name that gets thrown around the most.
We are kicking around tracking down one of the 2 games, or if there is something else we should check out please let me know!!

Eclipse 2nd Edition or Twilight Imperium. Would you recommend one over the other?
Is there another game we should look at?

Big maps + exploration + diplomacy + some combat all seem great to us

big question is how many players do you have most of the time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Merauder posted:

Sup goons. Been a minute since I've come around. My copy of Import/Export Definitive Edition showed up today (hype!), and I recall way back when the Kickstarter ran and they announced they'd be distributing the game in random colored boxes, some folks here mentioned being open to some game swapping upon receipt. I received the green box (e: with a Hong Kong flag), which is fine, but red was my hope, so figured I'd put feelers out. Leaving mine in shrink for the moment. PM me if you're interested in a swap!
Hope everyone's been enjoying their gaming. :toot:

I have not yet received mine but from the images green was my favorite color. I will let you know which I receive.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

ragrets are nowhere near as bad as ragerts

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

MikeCrotch posted:

Asmodee forces takedowns of stuff on TTS though, like the best Arkham Horror LCG modules ☹️

The AHLCG TTS mod is still updated regularly and distributed as a blank save game by its discord server.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

pospysyl posted:

The Anno board game looks amazing. I think Mayveena was a big fan of it.

I played it once on TTS a few weeks back, it's very very good.

I can see with repeated plays it becoming a race between players deciding when is the right time to leapfrog the others by using their tech.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

hoiyes posted:

And obviously the designers did too, because they said it wasn't delivering what they wanted and overhauled the card play significantly in an update about halfway through and it sounded much more interesting from that point on.

do you have a link to this update? curious to read more.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

FulsomFrank posted:

Caverna: Cave vs Cave is such a great little 2p game. We replayed it this weekend after not touching it for about a year and we both just fell in love with it all over again. I haven't picked up the expansion yet but talk about another win for distilling an enormous game into a tidy, interesting, quick, and fun package. Highly recommend it for people looking for 2p games and/or fans of Rosenberg.

I'm also a huge fan of Caverna CvC, and the expansion is excellent.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Alternatively just play Sidereal Confluence with them until they die.

this would not be a wasted life

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Infinitum posted:

Also help settle a bet. Every time I get A War of Whispers out I have to reiterate to the group which way actions are taken for blank council positions.
And every time someone doesn't believe me because they think empty spaces are controlled by agents in the opposite direction.

Is this page poorly written, as I have always felt it to be, or can you understand at a glance which way extra actions are taken?
Bonus points if you can understand it without referring to the example.

I really really hate the manual for this game, it's the only drawback of an otherwise incredibly unique war game.

Correct answer:
The player on the right will take all actions of empty council to the left of it. This is why the Chancellor position is so powerful as you can control all 4 spaces if noone else places their agents there.

2 of my players always get it wrong.

To me the manual is unambiguous

Fate Accomplice fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Feb 20, 2021

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Magnetic North posted:

So, having not played an 18xx game before, but being familiar with the rules: why would a player ever pick up that second share of someone else's company, thereby putting themselves at risk of being dumped on and having their stock value trashed?

I vaguely remember from the 18XXs I've played there's a minimum threshold of a company's stock you must own before you're able to be dumped on.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Mr. Squishy posted:

Yeah there is, it's two, hence "that second share".

I definitely glossed over that part of your post!

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Ropes4u posted:

Preorder for Red Rising is up I could get through the first two pages of the rule book so I guess I’m waiting.

The novel is one of the worst I’ve ever finished. I’m not sure how I made it through the whole thing.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

All COIN games are bad, actually

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

PlaneGuy posted:

I wonder who did they lose to? The rest of the company? The author? Who said "NO, ALL WHITES"? I wanna know so I can glare at them.

I really am curious how this got dropped. There's no way the publisher would listen to an internet random but a forensic accounting of when this request left the discussion would be interesting.

the trouble is, apologies aren't enough.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

SCHD and other narrative games like it are also cool in that you can play through them once and then sell/trade them away

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Snooze Cruise posted:

When are they going to make those sherlock games but you are columbo instead... though I guess the point of columbo is the mystery is solved releatively easily...

incidentally over the last few months I've been taking in a Columbo episode every 1-2 weeks and they are brilliant and still hold up. highly recommended.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

theroachman posted:

That reminds me, I urgently need to watch all of Columbo and all of Poirot. A propos, are there any boardgames that use Agatha Christie IP's?

the mega OOP Mystery Express https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/65907/mystery-express is about solving a murder on a train as it travels across Europe. It's not quite the level of the greatest mystery novel of all time, but it's very clever.

A big part of the game is taking hidden notes about which cards you've seen from which players' hands and when, so it's not for everyone.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

!Klams posted:

How hard is it to teach do you know?

the basics take about 15 minutes and each race has a handful of specific rules/quirks that each player should know about.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

!Klams posted:

My group, as I've mentioned, is terminally scared of a lot of things, mostly any kind of pressure. I think if the only pressure is each other though, I think they'll be ok, because they'll just take deep breaths together.

the trading phase of each round is supposed to be timed but you also end it when all but one player signals they're done trading.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

CommonShore posted:

The newest frosthaven email is really interesting and worth reading

TL;DR he's entirely reworking Frosthaven and his setting to get away from the discourse of "race," which I think is really interesting and worthwhile.

armorer posted:

Yeah, I love that he says "hey if you don't read this whole thing, at least read the end before you comment". And then at the end he basically says "Don't be an rear end in a top hat. You can have your money back if you're unhappy with this."

This was a very good read and I am even more excited for the changes than I am to read the already-growing gnashing of teeth in the comments.

it won't happen, but some time after FH's release I'd like to read a detailed list of the narrative changes that result from this re-imagining. it could be insightful and instructive.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

tokenbrownguy posted:

SI wins on theme alone. Tactical black-hole nuking half your island to deny it to the Dutch? My gawd.

I appreciated this username/post combo

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Impermanent posted:

isn't that the company that you still need to be in a yahoo group to get notified of new releases

I used to be on that list and the set announcement and the set sold out emails arrived within 3 minutes of each other.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Daybreak is the only expansion I’m missing and I still rue not buying it on release

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

I appreciate the reference bananas

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Mayveena posted:

Hey folks does anyone know of an app that will analyze your BGG collection and let you know when resale on BGG prices are over a certain amount? I'm flipping games at the moment but going through nearly 200 of them to figure out what's what is kinda tedious.

https://geekgroup.app

has a trending section in the Insights -> Worth tab that might be insightful for narrowing down the list. that's the closest I've found so far.

https://geekgroup.app/users/malloreon/insights/collection/worth - the page for my collection.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Mayveena posted:

SUPER helpful, thanks so much!

djfooboo posted:

Wow, I like that a lot more than the other webtool I had bookmarked

Memnaelar posted:

Yeeeeeah, that tool is excellent. Now I see a weekend day in my future where I update my BGG "owned" list comprehensively for the first time in... 15 years.

I'm glad y'all like it, I don't remember where I found it, but it's been a game changer for organizing my collection.

I especially appreciate the automatically updating lists. I also keep lists of games by weight to bring to different meetups.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Breadnought posted:

The best feature on geekgroup.app is filtering by player counts. Having a three player game night? Filter for best at three players. What games in your collection will accommodate 6 players, and not just barely? Filter recommended at 6p and bump the Not Recommended % up to 15% so that you’re not getting games that barely play well at 6p. You can even send a filtered link to your group - pick a game from this list!

best with player count is literally the reason I started using geek group. before that it was all updating notes files on my phone every couple months.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Y’all should join the monthly US math trade on BGG. Aside from Kickstarter it’s the only way I’ve gotten games for the last 18 months. Sold dozens in it too.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Mayveena posted:

As a follow up to my previous post, what's the easiest app to use to document plays? I can see that with the geek app, logging plays would be a big help. Any recommendations? It has to be simple otherwise I won't use it, I know me :)

I log them on BGG and geekgroup reads that when it syncs.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Mayveena posted:

There'll be a huge virtual flea market at Strategicon in September. I'll be selling my games there along with a zillion others. There's also local Facebook groups.

how does a virtual flea market work? everyone lists their games somewhere in advance and at the event makes exchanges? is there a list of available games somewhere?

EDIT: cause, uh, I have a feeling any in person indoor events from September to November at least are gonna be canceled or super spreader events

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Mayveena posted:

The way it works is that there's a BGG geeklist created to show the games that people are selling. The entries either list a price or start as an auction (I do auction). Buyers then claim the games.

DogCop posted:

There's a big geeklist where everyone posts their games for sale. It's about half auctions / half flat sales.

All sales are finalized the day before the flea market. The in-person event is just the physical exchange of games.

OK so similar to the Bay Area sales list, just with a central meetup time/place. thanks!

Mayveena posted:

"Given that we are emerging from a pandemic, and given the security and well-being of our attendees is our primary concern, we are going to err on the side of caution. Therefore, we will require all participants who are eligible for vaccination arrive at the convention fully vaccinated against COVID-19, and that all participants remain masked in all public areas of the convention venue."

I absolutely disagree with the bold I added, and I think the next ~4 weeks will make that clear.

Unfortunately that won't include the majority of spread from kids returning to school, so September and October are gonna be wild.

Mayveena posted:

Keep in mind that LA has way fewer Trumpers than many other places and few people would come if both of these requirements weren't in place.

Same with northern california, but I'm still avoiding indoor large group events as long as possible.

Vaccines are cool and good and necessary, but precautions on top them are even better.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Bottom Liner posted:

No one said you can't, but a prominent figure in both the board gaming hobby and this thread asked us not to out of good taste and I agree 100%. We all draw the line for supporting a garbage person where we feel comfortable, but folks here would rather not hear about him or his games anymore other than to warn others about his awful beliefs and agendas that he tries to spread through them.

can we gather a list of the games/designers who we shouldn't talk about?

Jordan Draper - all of the "Tokyo X" games
Phil Eklund - most of the Pax games
Sandy Petersen - anything Cthulhu Wars/Glorantha: God's War/bunch of others
Daniele Toscini - bunch of euros

once we have a complete list maybe add it to the OP?

EDIT: VVVV Petersen is listed as the sole designer on BGG.

Fate Accomplice fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Aug 5, 2021

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Tiny Chalupa posted:

So, my group is really enjoying Pandemic Legacy Season 1. I am looking to add more legacy style games, or just games that are very repayable

not 100% sure what you mean here, legacy games are almost by definition less replayable than others cause you're permanently affecting the game/components with each play.

most of the best games are very replayable.

if you like PLS1, PLS2 I thought had better mechanics with a slightly less cool story, excluding one twist that was bonkers. I'm just over halfway done with PLS0 and mechanically it's my favorite of the three, though the storyline is the least compelling.

Tiny Chalupa posted:

We have a guaranteed 4 players and are looking for a solid possible 5th for some games.

A buddy would really like a dungeon crawling type game but the other 2 players are iffy on it. I have Jaws of The Lion and will look to grab Frosthaven once it drops. Is there anything else legacy like in that vein?

if JotL goes over well, pick up Gloomhaven while waiting the 9+ months before Frosthaven?

There are a bunch of legacy dungeon crawlers arriving from kickstarters in the last few months - none so far have compared favorably with Gloomhaven mechanically.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Rockman Reserve posted:

have you tried the Arkham Horror LCG?

The only warning I would give to new players is that the distribution model is absolute rear end - each campaign has a core box that includes a full set of new investigators to play as and the first two scenarios for the campaign, then there are six "mythos packs" per campaign that contain the rest of the scenarios and a couple cards for each class. With a dedicated group it's not really that bad, since you only really need one of each pack per group, but if everyone wants a full set of cards it can add up. Still, it's a pretty fantastic game (IMO) and the core box does give you a pretty decent little taste.

fantastic suggestion, and it's important to note that FFG is in the process of redoing their distribution model for this game - a new revised core set is coming soon, and going forward instead of having 6 scenario packs + 1 campaign pack + 1 return box, each campaign will be split into two expansions, one for the player cards and one for the scenarios.

not sure if they're planning on giving that treatment to the existing campaigns.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Jedit posted:

When did anyone suggest making a cancel list? We're talking here specifically about Phil Eklund, who is not just a racist but one who designs his games around his beliefs and uses the games as a platform to proselytise them.

List created, size 1:

Mayveena posted:

Folks play what you like, noting that Phil Eklund is one of the most racist designers in the hobby and he's part of the publishing team for that publisher. I'm talking about the Pax games, with the exception of Pax Pamir 2nd edition.

I'd prefer that the discussion moves on, there are other places to discuss games designed by a racist. Thanks.

List ratified:

Bottom Liner posted:

No one said you can't, but a prominent figure in both the board gaming hobby and this thread asked us not to out of good taste and I agree 100%. We all draw the line for supporting a garbage person where we feel comfortable, but folks here would rather not hear about him or his games anymore other than to warn others about his awful beliefs and agendas that he tries to spread through them.

I suggested additional people for the list. It's fine if we want to avoid talking about Eklund here because he expresses his abhorrent ideas in his designs while my suggestions have the grace to only think/believe/act them out, but let's not pretend we're doing something else.

not a single person here has defended Eklund or his ideas, but it's reasonable to discuss those games here while noting how garbage he is.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

djfooboo posted:

FB Marketplace. Never underestimate people’s hate of shipping games.

after receiving a game in the BGG math trade that cost $59 to ship to me, I understand why.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Quote-Unquote posted:

This is a long shot, but does anyone have the Mansions of Madness 2nd edition expansions 'Recurring Nightmares' and/or 'Suppressed Memories' that they'd be willing to sell for a not-crazy price? Absolute cheapest I've seen online is £200 for RN, prices go up to £500 for SM which is insane for a handful of miniatures and tiles.

they're massively out of print, good luck.

I only managed to get copies of each from BGG after someone listed the base game + both of those expansions in an auction but didn't add the expansions as separate items, so people who had alerts for them didn't get pinged to drive the price into the stratosphere.

got the base game + both tile collections for $50 + shipping.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Imperium: Legends just arrived and I am irrationally excited.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

FulsomFrank posted:

Clearclaw is talking about Diesels coming out in like the fourth set of ORs or something.

Playing 18XXs with clearclaw's group were by far the most humbling experiences of my board game playing life. it felt like they were speaking a different language around the table.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

FulsomFrank posted:

What was it like? Were they fun to play with? Were you the one who posted that you made a bid or a track placement or something and JC just stared at the board and made a long, drawn out sigh, like you disappointed him in a way only a child can?

I'm pretty sure that was me, yeah. I played 18XX with them probably 10 times over a couple months and it felt very much like a child in a classroom tentatively writing on the chalkboard while an array of teachers watched with rulers at the ready.

It was definitely a trial by fire, in a way that board games often aren't. There were moments of fun, but I was mostly lost. No ill will toward them, they had their thing and I wanted to join them and learn the ropes, but I didn't stick with them past that summer as I was already playing games 2-3 times a week otherwise.

They seemed really happy to play different flavors of 18XX 1-2 times a week and I wasn't ready for that kinda commitment when so much cool stuff was coming out.