Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Malloreon posted:

7 wonders is a bad game. The cool thing is that you can play it with up to 7 players; unfortunately, it's best with 3-4, and is too random at 5+. And if you're going to play with 3-4, there are hundreds of better games.

Kemet is amazing.

Hundreds? Really?
I'll bite: I've been looking to pick up 7 Wonders for a bit. Give me a list of 100 games better than it, and I'll buy one of them next semester.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

I think that Sentinels is a fine game with a few troublesome villains. Some villains play cards or combos of cards that reset any progress you make against them or create buffers that make damage literally impossible if you're not playing certain heroes. Overall, for the price point, I'd say grab it.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

fozzy fosbourne posted:

I tried to use forums search but couldn't find anything about Zeppelin Attack! Any opinions and/or reasons it's broken or something, wise and venerable goons?

What do you guys think about Love Letter vs Lost Legacy?

If you like player elimination, get Love Letter. If you like deduction, or like the idea of expanding the game, grab Lost Legacy. Love Letter is generally quicker by the round, whereas Lost Legacy is less prone to unlucky draws. The investigation phase in Lost Legacy feels like a wet fart compared to the rest of the game. Gun to my head, I'd probably get Love Letter as it's easier to pump out like 4 fast rounds while someone grabs food, but I prefer the game of Lost Legacy more.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Captain Magic posted:

I am brand new to this thread/sub-forum and only just started looking around, so I apologize if this has been asked a thousand times (though I did read the OP):

My wife and I just finished up four games of Risk Legacy with two close friends of ours and we loved it. I am psyched especially because I really enjoy this stuff and she usually hates board games entirely, but she really dug this, mostly for the feeling of investment she had (I think the changes you make to the board added to that, but honestly it was more that she got to play as "Bear People.") For reference, she also has played Settlers of Catan and disliked that, I think because there wasn't anything to connect to outside of just colors and buildings. So, I'm looking for any decent two-player game we can play where a player can feel invested in a faction beyond the desire to compete and win (which she isn't high on.) Silliness is great. So like, running a nation of walruses would be a selling point.

Space Alert and Tash Kalar from the OP seem worth checking out, but I'm wondering if any of you fine folks have any good ideas?

Sounds like she wants something thematic. I'd throw Pandemic out, maybe?

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Could I ask you for some more pictures? I'm looking to buy 1-3 of those, and if at all possible I would like to avoid dropping even more money on the broken token organizers.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

I've never played at my FLGS, but he solves the issue by having a set day for board games, and two set days for Magic.My city doesn't have a large scene in either of those communities, so he's able to do all of that inside a comic store.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Countblanc posted:

I just worry of using it as an intro game since I know I'd probably never want to play again if my first experience was a practically unwinnable thing regardless of how you played.

This is the reason I don't really care to pick up any Vlaada games. From the outside looking in, it sounds like everything but Mage Knight, which looks long and fiddly, and Tash Kalar, which looks awesome, is designed to screw you. I cannot convince myself it sounds appealing.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

John Dyne posted:

So I'm curious, what exactly is so bad about Talisman? I've seen it mentioned a few times as being a bad game but in all honesty I've been having a lot of fun with it; against just the AI, yeah, it's boring as sin but enough of my friends bought it during the Steam sale (and Humble Bundle, more recently) that we tend to play it a lot and get a kick out of it; I even picked up all the current DLC when it was on the Steam sale so we have all the characters and expansions and other stupid poo poo.

The random swing to it has been a plus for us, because it's loving funny for everyone to be at 1 HP and then some idiot draws the Pestilence card and BOOSH, everyone's dead, no winner. Or for the one guy who was about to win the game gets hit by the Random spell, turned into a toad with no fate points, and is sent back to the tavern to be murdered by wolves and the angry farmer.

Then again, my buddies and I also play WFRP 2e a lot so maybe we're just broken idiots with no taste. v:shobon:v

I played like 30 minutes before quitting, but my biggest problem was the lack of control for randomness. You roll for pretty much everything, and the only option you get to mitigate a bad roll is to roll again, which likely does nothing due to the way combat is calculated in this game. Compare this to say, Castles of Burgandy, where you are given the option to adjust your dice roll with an easily accessible resource. Going back to combat, the way it's calculated is Strength + Dice Roll. We've already covered why the dice part is a problem, so what happens when you pick a character with low strength? Your options are (to my knowledge) to get weapons/items to increase the stat, or use certain spells, randomly drawn, that depend on intelligence? You get those by pulling random cards, landing on spaces with cards on them, which were randomly pulled, or land on certain squares, and then roll a die to maybe get an item. There's no way to control any of that, so you're derping around chucking dice until you eventually get beefy enough to be relevant, then you hope you roll into spaces that let you use your now relevant strength. Compare that system to say, Eldritch Horror which allows you to contend with the randomness of improving your stats by being near cities that are clearly marked to have a higher chance of improving certain stats. My last complaint isn't entirely fair since I didn't read the game manual, but I had no clue what I was doing once I got into the 2 inner rings. Once I got into the innermost ring, every roll I could have gotten sent me back to the outer circle, and I saw no point to continue the game since I hate reset progress, so I quit.

If you just want to chunk dice, there are many other games I would suggest in its place. Same for 'thematic experiences.' While I'm on the topic, how many people here prefer thematic games over games with solid mechanics. The only people that will play medium-weight stuff claim they would rather be thematically attached to a game than play a tight game, which confuses me a bit, and I would like help understanding. Like, I enjoy great components and art as well, but I would much rather play a shorter, more cohesive game than read a paragraph of fluff to determine that I need to roll x dice to get an item. Do you guys find that the fluff makes the game that much more enjoyable, and worth all of the finicky rules, or do you just prefer to do things other than build farms?

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

IS 50 plus shipping a good price for the 1st edition of Yomi? I'm debating pulling the trigger on it.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

No game, sans Dominion, should have that many expansions. Just make a new game at that point.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

I don't think the guy wants a game that will at the earliest will get to him 5 months later, barring the PnP.
2 player games I would recommend are:
Castles of Burgandy - Castle Building Simulator #408709. The game looks like it has more fiddly bits than it does. Affords you a few decisions, conflict light, and it pretty cathartic.
Carcassonne: Literally only has tiles, meeples, and a scoreboard as components. Draw a tile, place a tile, maybe place a meeple, and score points by completing roads or buildings. It can be as la or cut throat as you'd like.
Dominion and/or expansions: Deck building game. I could see your girlfriend being annoyed with the 14 or so decks to set up, but it plays nicely with two.
Lost Legacy: Made by the same guy as Love Letter I believe. The game trades quick player elimination for a game that values knowledge of hidden cards much more.
Paperback: Mash up Scrabble and Dominion. You have to order directly from the creator, so it may or may not be out of print.

Games to avoid:
Eldritch Horror: Unless ou practice and buy a Plano box, set up will take around 30 minutes. Decent coop otherwise.
Ghost Stories: Unforgivingly difficult.I've won like 1 out of 6. If that's not a problem, go for it. There may be an iOS app that lets you try it out for much reduced cost.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Battlecon has a few PnP fighters. If you cn't find them online I'll dig them out of my email somewhere.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

unpronounceable posted:

How long until a board game of Divekick?

Checkers?

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

So speaking of post-decision randomness, I got to try Mice and Mystics tonight. Granted I started in chapter 7, but it was a terrible experience. I think I had 5 total successful actions combined. I spent most of the game in the corner of the board trying to search the room, and failing. My combats were filled with the wrong combat dice or both ranged and melee, and my one successful search was a treachery. I know that's going to be the experience with these type of games at times, but I can't believe this game is marketed for kids, because I can't think of many kids that would want to play again after having a similar experience.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

I agree with the second half of his statement. If a game has failed to convey upon you a sense of its identity after 3 hours, it's doing something terribly wrong. I'll also stand by the statement that Legendary isn't a bad game. If you're going to use orthogonal currencies and a market row, it probably has the best system for it.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

I played Paperback this past weekend with some people who are getting into the hobby, and it turned into a slog. Rather than trying to end the game by exhausting the Fame card piles, the couple bought literally every 2, 3, and 4 cost card first. I think I may need to implement a house rule similar to Dominion where the game ends after 2 piles period are exhausted. Other than that, fine game. Offers a lot of modules out of the box, so you definitely get your money's worth out of it.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

I really wish I didn't know about the existence of Big Money in Dominion. The game went from building a Rude Goldberg machine to buying like, 2 action cards total and racing Big Money. Maybe it's a symptom of playing the AI in Androminion that improves with live competition, but it did kill the magic for me.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

AMooseDoesStuff posted:

The burn on noted thread crazy guy Broken Loose was not as good as the burn noted thread crazy guy Broken Loose gave out.
But that's just my opinion, as long as we're all having fun then everybody's winning.

One was a poo poo post that was predicted as soon as the guy asked about DoW, and the other punished said poo poo post. I'm giving my 10 to the guy who didn't dump on a guy for asking a question about a board game in this, the Board Game Thread.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Rumda posted:

Yes because the game is bad and he shouldn't play it.

He already bought the game, ya dingus. Being an Internet warrior does nothing at this point, so let him get an answer to his question and be on his merry way.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Honest question to you peeps with the huge collections: How often do you get to play through your entire library? Obviously you like some games more than others, but do you routinely pull out everything in your collection, or are some games more like decoration or a badge of honor?

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Man, be thankful if you gave a consistent group of board gamers. I have two separate couples to choose from. One couple really only plays coop/'thematic' games (they like reading flavor text) but they can grasp medium level games like a Ghost Stories. The other couple pretty much only plays filler games and Pandemic, and have horrible AP. I tried to introduce Castles of Burgundy, and it took 2 hours to get through 10 rounds. There was alcohol involved and it was their first time, but I just called the game and we played Tsuro before leaving. I love both dearly, but man, it puts a limit on the hobby for me.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Nique posted:

Street Fighter deckbuilder was the last thing that I played and it was good for the first ~hour but quickly overstayed it's welcome as it refused to end (4 players), despite being a SF fan I would probably not want to play this again.

A few suggestions here! If you like Street Fighter because you like fighting games, check out BattleCON or Yomi. Both are fighting games, both are awesome with a colorful array of characters. If you want a fighting game flavored deckbuilder, check out Puzzle Strike. It's a deckbuilder with a end game similar to Puzzle Fighter (I think that's what it is called).

You can check out some play by posts of battlecon here in the Game room forum like this game I'm currently involved in http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3721256&pagenumber=3&perpage=40 , and you can play Yomi and Puzzle Strike at https://www.fantasystrike.com

If you want to try BattleCON yourself, roll over to the Level 99 games thread, and we'll get you in a game.

Shadow225 fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jul 28, 2015

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Azran posted:

I'm about to print the free BattleCON PnP trial (all this time I thought both Yomi and BattleCON were made by the same people :downs:) and I was wondering if there's any reason to prefer one over the other. Yomi, at least to me, looks more complicated and also seems to have some serious cheesecake art, which is always a minus for me. Granted, I haven't seen all the BattleCON characters yet...

I would actually say that Yomi is the more simple of the two. As other people have mentioned, the two games share a theme, but different mechanics.

Yomi(apparently means read in Japanese) is asymmetric RPS. The characters have different power, speed, and abilities but it really comes down to did you read your opponent well enough to counter his rock with your paper. It has just enough nuances to remain interesting despite a very simple core mechanic.

BattleCON does require you to read your opponent a bit, but it's more reliant in its other factors. The game has a board, so not only your attacks but also your positioning matter. You have to wait a minimum of two turns to use any set of attacks again, so you want to be very particular with your choices. Unlike Yomi, you have perfect information in this game. You know exactly what your opponents options are. You want to play the game like chess, attacking while forcing your opponent into suboptimal decisions or positions. Yomi, in contrast, allows you to do pretty much what you want to do, as long as you draw your outs, despite your opponents decision, as long as you don't lose the RPS. Battlecon has 58 fighters available among its three versions, where Yomi has 20.

Both are good games. I would play Yomi if you have less time, have to teach the game, or prefer soul reading your opponent. Play battlecon if you want a war of attrition.

For what it's worth, I prefer battlecon, but my friends prefer Yomi. Again, check out Yomi for free against ai at the website, and we can get you in a pbp game here.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Azran posted:

I found Sushi Go and Carcassone really cheap in a local store, and I bought them because it isn't loving Monopoly or Clue! Is Sushi Go terribly awful for non-gamers/is Carcassone going to be hard to get into for people used to Monopoly?

Sushi Go is one of the simplest games I own. It's great for new people.

Carcassonne is also a good intro game. It does have like two troublesome rules that people may not get immediately, but it's also a deeper game than Sushi Go. You bought two awesome games.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Yo, how do you people feel about Deck Building: The Deck Building Game or Fairy Tale?

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Rutibex posted:

We should just call them Pokemon-like and Ascension-like.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

BonHair posted:

I agree with this. The trouble is not that the thread regulars will respond to recommendations about Sentinels by saying it's a bad game. The trouble is that we're being elitist jerks about it. Instead of explaining why we don't like Sentinels, and what the better alternatives are, we just go "lol, it's a bad, burn it", and that's neither helpful nor nice. We really should try to explain stuff to non-regulars instead of just repeating the conclusion, even though we've been over it before.

Anyway: Agricola: All creatures big and small is A Good Game™, right?

Well, you're half right. The other half is that the elitism and snark actively replaces the answers to the questions people new to the thread ask. If his question was about the quality or our opinions of the game, we'd be fine. Instead, we felt the need to poo poo on the game so strongly that his question had one sincere answer and like 4.5 snark answers. He doesn't care about your opinions of the game, otherwise he would have asked; he has already bought into the game and wants to buy more of it. He's likely not going to come around and ask for another opinion, which robs us of the chances to do fun things like have a discussion or suggest better games when the time and circumstances arise to do so.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Trasson posted:

Telling someone who enjoys SotM not to get any expansions is completely reasonable. Board games are not a free commodity one summons from thin air. If a person asks which $40 add-on they want for a pretty subpar product, it's a fair statement to tell them their money is better spent elsewhere.

Oh, and I'll take BSG's expansions over Sentinel's. At least then your time and money are going to an actually different experience even if it is the Ionian Nebula. Sentinel's adds in all of two heroes over the course of its expansions who provide interesting turn by turn decisions. That's two heroes of two dozen.

Nightmist and The Naturalist are not good enough to recommend any expansion at all unless you're a die-hard fan. And if you are, you don't need a recommendation on which expansion to get. If you're looking for more Sentinel's after the base game, then you're going to be fine with whatever anyway because the expansions have as much to differentiate another as Munchkin sets.

In short, if telling anyone someone not to buy Sentinels expansions isn't helping anyone, then I guess I'm going to keep being an obstructionist rear end in a top hat, because it's not unhelpfulness, it's a goddamn public service announcement.

You just really can't stand to be wrong eh.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Lord Frisk posted:

Man, I don't know. I was parroting other people's opinions from this thread. I never played that poo poo.

Voted 5.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Mage Knight looks cool, but I'm turned away from it because it seems it would be better suited to be a video game than a board game with too many rules.

Also, it is entirely possible to disagree with Jedit without ad hominem attacks.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Big McHuge posted:

Sorry just saw this. Are you in the US? I was gonna ask for 35 at the local game group, but I could do 30 plus shipping for a cool cat like yourself.

You don't have PMs, but what were you thinking for Code of Nine?

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

What's the word on Shadowrun: Crossfire, Nefarious, Heroes Wanted, Biblios, and Samurai?

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Lichtenstein posted:

Get Space Alert instead.

Not interested in bad games.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

e: requested a cancellation after thinking about it for a bit

Shadow225 fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Aug 25, 2015

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

enigmahfc posted:

So there's a gaming group at my college, but it is over ran with Magic players and people that think Cosmic Encounters is a great game. I did, however, manage to play Space Alert with them....and I loving hated it. I think it almost entirely boiled down to having a lovely group to play with. Sitting around, listening to a bunch of spazzes yell in shrill voices while they spout Firefly catchphrases and their BO ends up being the biggest threat during the game made me almost hate Vladda for making that moment possible.

I need to try Space Alert again with a group that isn't....like that, but I hate that my first encounter with supposed great game is mired by that loving memory. It reminded me of how a awful it was the first time I played Dominion - no one really explained poo poo on how it worked, and all three others players were almost dead loving silent the whole time. I almost didn't give Dominion another poo poo after that, but I'm glad I did, and I have a feeling Space Alert will be the same way.

Board gaming is a social hobby. Your experience will greatly be affected by the people in your game. We can enjoy bad games if we like the people, and the inverse is also very true.

That being said, don't try to force yourself to like a game just because other people said it was good. It's okay to dislike popular things.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Gravy Train Robber posted:

I was wondering if anyone has any good recommendations for print and play board games or playtest versions of recommended games?

I've got a few battlcon playtests and an exceed playtest, made by the same company. pm me your email and ill send them your way

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Yeah, I didn't want to spend money, but it's been selling out so quickly I picked up a copy of Codenames, along with Welcome to the Dungeon and Bang! Dice Game.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Countblanc posted:

Well I ordered Shogun and Copper Country last night. I figured that CC - a game about labor and exploitation in Michigan - was basically tailor made for me so if someone is going to buy it I might as well, and Shogun seems cute enough. Unfortunately I had a chance of heart this morning and realized that I can't really afford two games right now so I cancelled Shogun buuuuuutttttt apparently it's too late and Amazon can't cancel it. Well owned me, I guess. Time to liquidate some of my other games. I've never sold board games before, is it generally assumed that buyer pays shipping and to include that in the offered price?

That's how BGG auctions go. Here's the thing that made me stop looking at auctions entirely, though: shipping board games is expensive. You will either compete with major retailers on the price, or you will make maybe 5-10 bucks a game.

Here's an example. I was looking at an auction for King of New York. The listing was for $20. I got a shipping quote, and the shipping alone was $13. For just $2 more I can order the game and get in in two days with buyer protection from Amazon Prime.

I would either try to sell locally or cut corners somewhere else in life for a few weeks. That being said, I would check out anything that you're selling.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Tsuro is a great quick game. Don't get the Seas version. The dragon screws with the quick, tight design of the game.

7 wonders sits up to 7. If your group enjoys Sushi Go, hive this a serious gander.

Codenames is the new hotness. Gutter Owl posted a link to a pbp in this thread, so check that out to see if that's your jam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Mega64 posted:

Has anyone made any good custom-art Love Letter sets? More non-Munchkin board-game-themed Love Letter sets would be a nice novelty.

There was a sweet looking Adventure Time set on BGG once upon a time.