Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Jedit posted:

All four pyramids, huh? :rolleyes:

There must be somebody playtesting Ta-Seti.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Big McHuge posted:

I seriously think Uwe's next game is going to be about watching paint dry.

Fresco is a Ruskowski/Süßelbeck game.

It's a bit too intense for my tastes.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

You know, it's almost a good point. Ascension could be fun if you played a series of games so that people's luck had a chance to even out. Playing for money would probably heighten the experience. And each game should last like 2 minutes.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Probably the new X-COM game from Fantasy Flight. I don't think it's generally available yet.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Did they really not bother to come up with a sci-fi name for Merlin?

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Mister Sinewave posted:

I'm with you on this post but right at the end there I'm getting a little "yeah, BUT..."

I like Hanabi very much, had lots of fun with it and it's clever. But it never gets played anymore because it is no longer Hanabi. It eventually changed into a game of "When I say THIS I mean THAT" :mad: which I don't find fun.

e: My regular game partner is an Optimizer though, so what they like and enjoy isn't always the same as what I like and enjoy. We did totally get our money's worth out of Hanabi however.

I don't generally play Hanabi unless at least one person has never played. It's just more fun when there's someone trying to wrap their head around what's going on.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

NuclearPotato posted:

While we're on the subject of Dominion, I got the Alchemy expansion for Christmas, which I'm jazzed about, since it means I never have to pony up any money to buy Alchemy. :v: (I also got Agricola :unsmith:). So, two questions:

1: What, precisely, are the major flaws of Alchemy?

2: I've heard there are one or two good cards in the expansion. Which ones are those?

Having two orthogonal currencies doesn't really work. In order to make potions relevant when there's only one potion card in the kingdom they're all designed to be worth buying in multiples, which means almost all of the actions are cantrips, which leads to slow games.

Apprentice is my favorite Dominion card. It doesn't even really care about potions.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Goddamnit, I got to play Key Market for a second time tonight and the whole "my board gaming tastes have changed since I last played it, it probably wasn't that great" rationale that I'd been telling myself turns out to have been incorrect. It got me saying things like "I've spent more than that on X-Wing or Netrunner..." but I do play those games every week. A dry economic euro isn't going to see that kind of play.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Countblanc posted:

Oh sorry for being sassy I figured that was common knowledge. Yeah in the manual for Intrigue (and possibly the Core Set replacement expansion) it literally says "now you can play 5-8 players, or play two games at once!" or something like that. It's hilarious.

Dominion only officially goes up to 6. It's a terrible loving idea, but at least it's better than 8.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

GrandpaPants posted:

So uh, those Magic backs sure did change over the last 20 years haven't they? Also, where did this communication come from, because I sure don't see it on a Kickstarter update...

It's a shame that the Resistance is such a good game, because god do I not want to support this idiot.

Edit: Like I really don't even understand how this could have happened. How did he look at cards that should have been red and turned out green and went "that's fine!" It's not like a subtle difference or anything.

WotC can spend a lot more time and money ensuring consistency of card backs between print runs than anyone else would consider practical. And then everyone stuffs the cards in opaque sleeves anyway.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Lord Frisk posted:

I've found its never worth it to pay those stupid aftermarket prices. Keyflower is a popular game, it will be reprinted in the next year or two. Practice the art of patience.

You aren't very familiar with how Richard Breese publishes his games, then. I think Keyflower actually got a second print run, which got me hoping he'd see that maybe he could sell a few more copies of certain games at $50 when the market was bearing $300, but apparently not.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Unfortunately, they also removed the one thing that made Dune work: the Dune license. You really have to stretch to get the mechanics and flavor to mesh in a TI setting.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

deadly_pudding posted:

You have my group :v:
To this day I'm the only one who's read the rules for FATE, and there were two in the group when we were playing D&D that only read the parts of the PHB that said what their spells did.

I spent $150 on the D&D 5e rulebooks despite knowing I'll probably never play because reading rulebooks is fun.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Guy A. Person posted:

You can still use side A of Great Wall without any issues. And honestly, while side B uses expansion symbols there is nothing that you need from the actual expansions in order to run it (except an understanding of the rules). In a pinch you can use the negative military markers in place of debt tokens for stage 3.

The Catan wonder promo was released before Cities and has the broken coin symbol; it said if you don't have the money to lose you just go to $0, no debt necessary. You could do the great wall the same way.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Has there been any rumblings if Power Grid Deluxe will be getting the expansions from the original? I'm going to be picking up the base game but I don't want to get the deluxe version if it'll never get the expansions

I am kind if only interested in Power Grid deluxe if it doesn't get the expansions. I don't need a bunch of power grid expansions and the only thing that works keep my self control in check would be of they were incompatible.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Magnetic North posted:

If I recall correctly, that was a common complaint when it came out. People said D&D4E was like WoW. Having played it now, I like it and I would disagree with that assessment, but not so severely that I would discount someone's opinion that it was unlike what D&D had been to them. At the same point, I accept that's kind of a nothing statement, basically the the reverse of "I like it so that's what matters."

It was also a common complaint when 3rd edition came out. I feel pretty confident people said it about Second Edition, and Advanced Dungeons and Dragons, and it would have been a complaint about 5e if the guiding design principle hadn't been "win back the grogs we haven't lost forever to Pathfinder."

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Bubble-T posted:

They have a long list of requirements for what they play on the show because it's primarily entertainment reality TV. Stuff with lots of hidden information or complicated cards or what have you is hard to film in their style and be immediately appreciated by people who haven't played the game before.

I'd put more stock in this reasoning if they went to the effort of getting the rules right. Once you've given up on that, what does it matter if people can follow every detail?

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Bubble-T posted:

Just imagine how much they'd get wrong if they played games with more than 4 rules.

I'd watch a tabletop of Go.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

jivjov posted:

Yeah, but isn't that fairly average sized for an expansion? Base Box and Intrigue have 500 each, and the non-standalone expansions are like 300+ right?

Dominion, Intrigue, and Dark Ages are 500
Seaside, Prosperity, and Hinterlands are 300
Alchemy, Cornucopia, and Guilds are 150
Base Cards is 250
There are 66 promos, counting blanks.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Big McHuge posted:

As much as I loathe Cards Against Humanity, I would totally play with Aisha Tyler.

Noooope.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Aston posted:

Anyone got any good ideas for the make-your-own leader in 7 Wonders?

Semiramis gets a reprint with a power in Cities, she gets one shield for every defeat token. Before that, I kind of liked the fan power that said if she won combat against both neighbors, she gets a third victory token. Mostly because the game comes with 8 tokens for each age and you can otherwise only use 7.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Kai Tave posted:

Everyone please pledge to my upcoming Kickstarter for Zombies versus Homestucks: the Cthulhuing, to be released in a box cast from solid lead.

Would you describe your zombie sculpts as "erotic"?

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Megasabin posted:

Anyone know how the board game scene in Atlanta is? I moved here 3 years ago, but never dug too deeply. I haven't noticed any game shops with game nights, but then again I wasn't looking super hard cause I was just starting medical residency

I know there are active Netrunner and X-Wing scenes, since I occasionally feel like driving into Atlanta for a tournament. Atlanta Game Fest is next weekend, if you feel like spending $45 to hang out with nerds for 4 days.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Bobby The Rookie posted:

People should just get Caylus and then swap out the pieces with Game of Thrones miniatures or something and make up a bunch of 'thematic' rules so they'll be able to play a cool game.

You're the one king Philip is scowling at.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Tekopo posted:

Played Terra Mystica with expansion (I couldn't imagine playing without some of the expansion rules now). We picked races randomly (I really suggest doing this) and had the race auction at the start. Races were the dragon riders (bidded for 16), ice maidens (bidded for 10), ainur (bidded for 5), giants and fakirs (bidded both for 0). I picked up the giants since I wanted to try them. I managed to have a tied win with the ice maidens, which I guess places me in the elite club of 'have won TM with giants' :smug:

I don't think you get into the :smug: club, considering you actually lost by 10 points and even after the auction "balancing" you only got to a tie.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Tekopo posted:

(also lol if you actually thought I was being serious about being smug)

You joke, I joke. We're just jokin about board games here in the board games thread on a comedy forum.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Poison Mushroom posted:

That's one of the things I dig about Puzzle Strike. The chip bag thing is a really loving clever idea.

I was just about to post about how much better Puzzle Strike is if you have a print and play card set than if you are playing with a retail copy. Shaking up a bag of chips may be easier than shuffling, but as much of Dominion game you spend shuffling, you spend even more of it holding a hand of cards. Holding a hand of chips is just terrible.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

enigmahfc posted:

Argentina sounds like a magical place.

Chimichurri is really delicious.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

EBag posted:

Give each player 10 and discard down to 7. Or, if you want a slightly easier game to start try dealing 7 and discard down to 5.

The last time I played we gave everyone 3 cards and then drafted the remaining 4. You're drafting more than half your cards, but it takes less than half as long because the draft packs are smaller and you have to read and compare vastly fewer cards.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Tekopo posted:

To summarize, the biggest issue with the game is movement. MK is very tempo-based, especially at the start. You want to move, then fight, then move, then fight etc. If your starting hand is good to fight but not move, you might get royally screwed and be forced to use your fighting cards to move, only to end up drawing movement card when you need to fight. This issue is especially pronounced in competitive games of Mage Knight. That's the main issue with the game for me. Overall the game works better co-operatively than competitively, I feel.

Basically my first thought when playing Mage Knight was "I've played enough Dominion with Alchemy to know that this is too many orthogonal resources to work in a deckbuilder."

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

EdsTeioh posted:

Does anyone have any experience with Carcassonne: Hunters and Gatherers? My lady and I are huge fans of the base game, and I just recently discovered H&G (and how rare it is). Is this worth going out of my way to get a copy of?

I like it. It cleans up the end-of-game scoring by making upright meeples only score on feature completion, while horizontal meeples and the fishing huts (basically super-thieves) only score at the end of the game. There's a bit of a traders-and-builders mechanic that rewards you with bonus tiles for completing forests (cities) whether you are in them or not, which adds an interesting dynamic. This same mechanic also discourages "football cities" which some people really dislike, but are less of an issue when farmers don't care about cites. One of the bonus tiles is generally regarded as broken (the shrine), but you can take it out.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

If you're going to play nomic, you could start with less lovely base rules.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Rexides posted:

Welcome to the Hivemind.

Some people from work invited me to play BSG next week. As I have just finished the first season of the show, can you tell me if the base game or any expansions spoil anything that happens later?

The expansions are a bit spoilery, but most of the spoilers are in components you shouldn't use.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

homullus posted:

The board games in the series are fun, but I don't feel that they are very thematic for the individual topics (I don't have Drizzt, but I have the other two).

If the new game was thematically in line with the Temple of Elemental Evil it would be a horrifying mess of anti-fun roll or die effects and gotcha traps.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Lorini posted:

ftc.gov for US.

AKA the people who couldn't pin fraud on Butterfly loving Labs.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Sgt. Anime Pederast posted:

It looks like all the boring parts of xcom without any of the fun parts though? Or at least that's what the previews looked like

It's entirely within reason that a board game about the boring part of a video game could be fun. Video games and board games are different. Lots of fun board games are about boring things.

Poopy Palpy fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jan 22, 2015

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

MildManeredManikin posted:

Are you saying that French castles, farms and trains are boring?

Only the first two. There aren't any fun games about trains.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

I have no opinion on SU&SD because I'm an old man who doesn't understand why someone would watch a video in a browser.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

AMooseDoesStuff posted:

So what's the consensus of Cosmic Encounter?

Important game for historical reasons, but I wouldn't suggest you go watch that that movie with the train coming right at the camera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

I have no idea why I was reading a YCS thread where people were posting Dominion: Intrigue spoilers, but it got me to go to the gaming store where I'd only been to buy roleplaying supplies to ask if they carried Dominion. They did, and someone suggested I bring it to the meetup on Tuesday nights and that's how I started spending thousands of dollars on cardboard.