Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeefyTaco
Nov 29, 2007

Squirtle, you cannot use fire. You are a water pokemon.
My brother got me Lords of Waterdeep for Christmas! Haven't had a chance to try it yet, but apparently it works well as an intro worker placement game? So hopefully people will enjoy it. I do, however, want to praise the game for having, silly as it may sound, the nicest box insert I've ever seen! Special little holes that perfectly fit every game piece, and they're even sorted by separate card decks and player colors. And on top of that, the instruction manual has a helpful diagram that show how everything is meant to fit in there. So congrats on the super classy box, box designer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeefyTaco
Nov 29, 2007

Mega64 posted:

It's on sale today on Amazon along with a bunch of other games, and my group's pretty awesome with social stuff, so I'll give it a buy. Thanks!

Are there any other of these sales that anyone would particularly recommend? I do already have Dixit, Castles of Burgundy, and 7 Wonders. (I also have Resistance: Avalon. Dunno if it would be worth it to replace with the original in order to eventually get the expansions)

BeefyTaco fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Apr 11, 2015

BeefyTaco
Nov 29, 2007

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I played Love Letter a few weeks ago and I actually really enjoyed it. It's a very light, quick card game and made good filler between a few 'real' games even if the theme doesn't really make any sense at all.

Oops, forgot to mention that I have that one too (totally agree that it's great). But I don't have the Munchkin edition yet! :haw:

I seem to recall hearing that RoboRally and Trajan are good. It looks like Trajan is by the same designer as Burgundy, which is a modest hit in our group, so maybe that would go over well too? And I imagine I'll enjoy the programming aspect of RoboRally from how much I love Space Alert.

BeefyTaco fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Apr 11, 2015

BeefyTaco
Nov 29, 2007

Mega64 posted:

Ticket to Ride is a classic for a reason, and is probably the best of the "beginner" games people recommend for people new to the hobby. Love Letter is a great way to kill a few minutes. Forbidden Desert's nice if you want a light co-op. If you don't mind dice, I'm a fan of King of New York. I think Libertalia has gotten some good responses from the thread, and it plays well with six (though I'm personally a bit more lukewarm on it, but I'm probably the minority there). I like Tsuro as a quick game. Though the thread's not high on Splendor, for $20 it's nice for a light game with a little bit of strategy. I also enjoy Cartagena as a light time-killer. And I'm a big fan of Kingdom Builder.

I wouldn't worry about getting base Resistance, since one of the expansions is the roles that Avalon adds anyway, plus apparently there's been a terrible print run for some of the expansions anyway.

Thank you for the advice :)

Kingdom Builder looks interesting. Would you mind elaborating on why you like it so much?

BeefyTaco
Nov 29, 2007

Thanks for all the help, everyone. Sounds like I dodged a bullet on RoboRally. I waited too long on Trajan unfortunately, so looking at the others I think I may take a chance on Libertalia.

BeefyTaco
Nov 29, 2007

Hi fellow board game people! I wanted to ask your advice! So I fell into board gaming pretty hard a few years ago, and have been building up a collection ever since. Now I've gotten to the point where I have so many that I want to be more discerning in what I buy, so I'd greatly appreciate any opinions on any holes you think my collection might have that need filling. I'm very aware that this is an extremely broad thing to be asking, but I'm hoping that some of you will be kind or interested enough to indulge me.

My main goal is breadth, as I am also the host of a moderately sized weekly gaming group that various people of all tastes come to. I'd love to have a representative from as many gaming families and styles as I can, so that I can accommodate whatever the group is in the mood for. Because we do get big groups sometimes, the collection has become a bit skewed towards light party games, but I want to have meatier options too. Previous big hits have included Dominant Species, Space Alert, and Tales of the Arabian Nights, so we really do get all kinds.

Personally, my very favorite game is Space Alert, and if pressed to fill out the rest of a top five, I'd probably say: Twilight Struggle, Dominion, Letters From Whitechapel, and Pictomania. (I already know for sure that I'll be buying more Dominion expansions at some point in the future. And Galaxy Trucker.)

Here is my collection! Any thoughts would be very much appreciated. Thank you :)

BeefyTaco
Nov 29, 2007

burger time posted:

This is a really hard thing to answer, but maybe one of Suburbia or Castles of Mad King Ludwig? They're similar but suburbia is more fiddly and Ludwig is more prone to AP. It looks like you don't have any auction games either, I like Ra but there are tons of good ones.

You also don't have any dexterity games. Whether this is a hole you want to fill is up to you but I can recommend Rampage/Terror in Meeple City, and the new edition of Catacombs that's coming out soon looks pretty good.

Those are great ideas! I've been hearing good things about Ludwig, and a dexterity game would be a good idea too. I don't know much about Ra, so I guess I'll have to look into that one.

BeefyTaco
Nov 29, 2007

burger time posted:

It's a more pure auction game that's about set collection and evaluating how much a group of tiles is worth to you. It can lead to some really tough interesting decisions which is why I like it. But there are tons of auction games (knizia alone has designed hundreds), including some where auctioning is a mechanic alongside other stuff, like princes of Florence or power grid

That sounds interesting, and I think I should definitely have an auction game of some kind. I may compare a few others, but Ra is sounding like a good pick. Would you say it's at least your favorite by that designer?

BeefyTaco
Nov 29, 2007

What do you guys think I should get from this cool sale, Roll for the Galaxy, Tzolk'in, or Bora Bora?

BeefyTaco
Nov 29, 2007

Dirk the Average posted:

Echoing this. It's a great game that's easy to get to the table.

T-Bone posted:

Definitely Tzolkin over Bora Bora if you want some heavier, but Roll is really good too.

I don't hate BB as much as some people here do but it's a bit of a hot mess. Although keep in mind a lot of people are of the opinion that you need the expansion to really make Tzolkin hum.

Thanks guys! :) I... broke down and got Tzolk'in AND Roll.

BeefyTaco
Nov 29, 2007

So in the newest episode of the SUSD podcast they were really talking up the Game of Thrones LCC, to the point where I got excited enough to consider investing in the second edition that's about to come out (even though I hadn't really heard anything about it before now). It sounded especially cool how different the play styles apparently are for the various factions. Does anyone have any experience with the game (with the 1st edition, I guess)? Do you have any thoughts on what it it works well and what doesn't?

Sub-question: if I really decide to blow a bunch of money on a LCC, should I just get Netrunner?

BeefyTaco
Nov 29, 2007

jng2058 posted:

1) Do I prefer asymmetrical two player gameplay, or a more group style game?

2) Do I have a bunch of gamer friends who aren't currently playing Netrunner and who could be convinced pick up GoT? Or am I more in a position to be looking to join an existing community? Because Netrunner already has a large and well-supported community, but the buy-in to join it is fairly expensive at this point.

Thank you, that's a good way to look at it. The current ease of access, as well as the multi-player support, would both be huge bonuses in my group. (Plus, we're all really into the theme :) )

BeefyTaco
Nov 29, 2007

Hey guys, I just want everyone to know that when we were playing Codenames last night my friend gave me the clue "Al Gore, 2." The answers were "Lock," and "Box."

BeefyTaco
Nov 29, 2007

So, my local board game shop has a copy of Food Chain Magnate. Do I... need to get it? Is it really $125 worth of good?

BeefyTaco
Nov 29, 2007

Andarel posted:

1) You don't need to get it. It was very rare, and is going to be hard to find for a long time, generally at around $110 minimum price, so if you want to get it at some point this might be your best chance.

2) It's really, really good. Whether it's $125 good depends a lot on how high $125 on a boardgame rates on your disposable income scale, but it's pretty high up on the game quality.

3) If you really want to give it a shot, try it free online at https://play.boardgamecore.net before buying.

Hmm, read a couple other reviews and it seems like if it's that really that good and hard to find, the $50 gift card I have left over from Christmas might just push it into justifiable. Thanks for the advice!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeefyTaco
Nov 29, 2007

Most played game: Codenames

Favorite game: Space Alert

I run a Vlaada house :cool:

(I do not run a Vlaada house. The only of his games I can usually get to the table are Codenames and Pictomania :( )