Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Bottom Liner posted:

You can just not play with the bioterrorist role though, so it's a non-issue.

That's pretty much universally true for all things Pandemic: its modularity means that there's little reason to avoid or wait buying the expansions. Mixing and matching the parts ends up being just another way to tune the difficulty outside of the rather crude cart count.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Stelas posted:

It says something about Wil's enthusiasm for the whole thing if he can't be hosed to pick up a small booklet between recording sessions or prepare in any way.

I some weird, masochistic way, I would love to see them do Mage Knight. It would be gloriously horrific.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Gutter Owl posted:

Okay, enough of this nonsense. I don't particularly like Table Top, but y'all have clearly never worked on video production. I have, and I do. And let me tell you.

Doing five shoots a day is loving gruelling, even for "easy" work like playing a board game. It's hot, it's miserable, and you have to be on for an extended period of time. And the performers and the director have a hundred other things to worry about.

[…]

Meanwhile, this producer is sitting on the sidelines. Today, the main focus of his job is keeping the rules straight. When he fucks up, yeah, that's just laziness or negligence. And you can only take the blame for this shitass so long before you want to throw him under an actual bus.
I think the point was that…

Lottery of Babylon posted:

If you cannot successfully play five board games in one day while making a TV show, then you should not make a TV show that features you playing five board games in one day.

Beyond that, looking at the live plays and the (not-actually-)unedited runs they've produced, the difference between those and the regular shows is shockingly small, to the point where the concerns you list don't seem like something they're all that concerned about. Sure, there's more editing and graphical aids in the proper productions, but the rest is about as lackadaisical no matter what.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Jun 19, 2015

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Gutter Owl posted:

The point is stupid. One person can't do a medium-production TV show by themselves. This is why TV shows are made by crews. This was a crew failure.

How does that in any way make the point stupid? You're saying pretty much the exact same thing.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Gutter Owl posted:

If the point is "Wil Wheaton shouldn't make a TV show if he can't do everything himself," then no one should make any TV shows ever. :colbert:

The point is that Tabletop is very obviously biting off more than they can chew, and rather than addressing the problem, there seems to be a lot of mud-slinging and blame-gaming going on.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

ETB posted:

Watching Tabletop play Legendary... It's basically cooperative Ascension, huh?

Depends… did they get the rules right? :troll:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Paper Kaiju posted:

Even if we submit to Bottom Liner's hypothesis that games being unwinnable can still be good, there are plenty of other reasons why Zombicide is bad.

[…]

- It isn't just that the game is so dependent on randomness, it's that the randomness is so incredibly swingy. Having some blue cards that can randomly spawn more difficult zombies than just walkers can create tension; having the chance for the most powerful enemy in the game showing up on the first turn in a game designed around leveling up is bullshit. Having the random chance for walkers to get an extra move can actually be good design, since it keeps players from simply standing one space away with impunity. Having the random chance for a pack of walkers to chase down the fastest character in the game when she was half the board away from them is loving Bullshit (first and only time playing; yes, I'm still mad about it).

Basically, the notion that it could be good in spite of being unwinnable collapses in on itself completely once you realise how poorly Zombicide implements that state. There's a distinct difference between a game that can end up in an unwinnable state due to a series of unfortunate events and decisions, and one that randomly becomes unwinnable on turn 1 without any input or interaction from the players.

If you can look at the board at the end of turn one and determine that the best thing to do is to restart the game because it's already a foregone conclusion that you will have to do so in half an hour anyway, the game is fundamentally broken.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

homullus posted:

My favorite episode is in fact the one where the nameless crew died when their junk ship was obliterated by asteroids.

Meh. Close enough to “Our Mrs. Reynolds”.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

thespaceinvader posted:

Get Galaxy Trucker, play Galaxy Trucker whilst watching Firefly.

The only reason I suggest GT is that there genuinely isn't a(nother) really good space trading/mercenarying game. Every single one I've tried is various levels of flawed. Firefly is among the worst.
Conceivably, Twilight Imperium is that, but mainly by virtue of being a space [anything] game, and even then, it'll depend on which race you draw/pick. Of course, some might consider the 15 minute/player/turn play length to be a bit of a flaw… :v:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

What the hell is this?! https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/1/die-macher
I guess this is a sign to :justpost: so I can at least be the equivalent of something I've heard of.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Gutter Owl posted:

Ugh, I'm all the way down to Russian Railroads. Gotta step up my shitposting game.

Quick, someone give me a game to be offended by.

I thought we could just all point and laugh at this cruel fate:

StashAugustine posted:

oh goddamit I'm Dead of Winter

:cawg:

Wait, how is DoW that high up?!

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

TastyLemonDrops posted:

The Tash Kalar box itself is also kinda ludicrous.

EDIT: Also the board is just slightly bigger than a normal box, so you can't even store it in something else.

It's the same size as Space Alert and Galaxy Trucker.
It's just Vlaada-sized, ok? :colbert:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Tekopo posted:

I played Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective and it was good but the scoring is beyond bullshit and it makes me really wonder what the designers were smoking.

Considering the era in which it was designed, most probably copious amounts of cocaine.

Tekopo posted:

It isn't even possible to find out the answers to all of those questions in 4 moves so I dunno what the gently caress you are supposed to do.
Treat it as a score attack mode — how close can you get to the #1 spot. Of course, the problem there is that different cases are scored differently and inconsistently and that you can't really retry once you've run through it.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Mojo Jojo posted:

I'm concerned none of these ideas involve roll to move mechanics

…using a dice deck, where you can buy booster packs to build a better deck.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Cocks Cable posted:

Okay, so Exploding Cthulhu Zombies You have a rectangular board with spaces all along the outside that form a spiral that leads to the end space. You roll a d6 to move your intricately detailed miniature. The space you land on tells you which card deck to draw from, zombies or cthulhu. But watch out! You might draw an exploding card which means you're knocked backed 2d6 spaces and have to discard 1d6 cards worth of equipment and spells. Only the most skilled players will avoid drawing that card. After you're done fighting some zombies or elder gods by rolling dice according to your fight and spell stats, you can trade with all the other players for resources to build your kingdom. But watch out! One of them is a traitor. They may pass you an infection card which means you're now on the traitorous Werewolf team. Once one player gets to the end space, they can fight Zombified Cthulhu and seize the Fedora of Command. But watch out! You need to roll double sixes to dodge his special attack which sends you back to the starting space. Player elimination is too good for those who dare to challenge Cthulhu.

I see no monetisation through booster packs.
Also, you did not describe the game as “fun”. 3/10. :colbert:

Tippis fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Aug 29, 2015

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Countblanc posted:

Weird request, but does anyone have a link to SU&SD talking about playing board games (or Netrunner in particular) in more "mainstream" or less nerdy situations/environments? Either a blog post or video works. I know Quinns developed a Netrunner scene in London by hosting events at local pubs, something like that would be great, or even just one of their videos where they engage a game in a particularly welcoming way. I'm writing a brief piece on defying cultural stereotypes, and I think SU&SD, for all their faults, actually does a good job of addressing the idea that these nerd cliches need not apply to tabletop games.

Also Fields of Arle sounds badass but I'm broke af

The closest I can think of off the top of my head is intro to boardgaming, but that's more about how the stereotypes about games aren't true any more.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

BonHair posted:

I got myself an iPad at long last. What games do I want? I want something that has a lot of replay, AI and doesn't take too much concentration. I really loved Star Realms for this actually, but it's gotten old. So far I've got Forbidden Island, which is cool enough, but I can see myself wanting variation from it at some point. Also it crashes whenever I win :/

Seconding Agricola as just an excellent digital version, with meh AI.

I'd also say Galaxy Trucker. The ability to do the build phase turn-based makes it possible to play it whenever, and the SP-campaign mode is a really neat addition.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

thespaceinvader posted:

Firefly is a terrible game. I've actually written a long review of WHY it's a terrible game which I will be posting on my blog when I eventually decide I'm happy to link people to my blog.

It really shouldn't be hard to make one, and make it closer to the series too. A mix of Archipelago and Sheriff of Nothingham (with a more sensible smuggling mechanic): everyone tries to trade/smuggle goods across the 'verse; an Alliance player tries to stop crime; one player may also be tasked with getting the Tams from point A to point B. If the Alliance player finds them, he wins; if the Tam smuggler finishes the transit in time, he wins; if not, the best smuggler wins. Or some such.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Soothing Vapors posted:

Oh Kickstarter miniatures games, will you ever stop being hilarious

(left: promotional KS campaign image, right: actual miniature, 6 months later)

That's eerily similar to how I always imagined the midsummer putty of Vogon ode fame would look.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Evil Mastermind posted:

I recently had a chance to play Fortune and Glory and Touch of Evil...

Are all of Flying Frog's like that? Because good lord they feel so much more complex than they really need to be. I was interested in Shadows of Brimstone since I like that western/horror mashup, but not if it's going to be like that.

Yes.

As much as one might accuse FFG of being glossmongers, Flying Frog is the epitome of style of substance. All their games follow the same pattern: unbalanced, overly-complex, randomfests trying desperately to convey theme through the use of bad photoshops of their friends and medium-sized OPEC country worth of plastic tokens, but failing to do so since nothing coherent has even the slightest chance of arising out of the huge mess you pour onto the table.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Evil Mastermind posted:

I don't know if I'd say they felt unbalanced, but yeah it's all drawing cards for a deck to see which deck you draw from to roll dice against other dice. The only choices I felt I had was where to move to on the map, which determined which of the dozen decks of cards I drew from. Fortune & Glory felt worse for this than ToE (which we played with the two expansions) because at least when you failed at something in ToE your next turn wasn't locked into a second iteration of the thing you failed at.

And it sucks, because I felt like there might have been the core of some interesting games there, except they got so tied up in creating this huge experience that covers so much stuff the games start to collapse under their own weight.

My favorite bit was the end of Touch of Evil, where the endgame is basically just a round-the-table roll-off where everyone takes turns attacking the boss monster, and I got killed in the first round and got to just sit there while everyone else got to attack and use the stuff they'd spent the whole game stockpiling.

The imbalance is often more a knock-on effect of the randomness. If you've read the story about how the Robinson Crusoe designer was critiqued by Vlaada, where the macro-scale statistical balance in the original design was shown to fail to serve its purpose, it's pretty much the same thing here. I'm sure that, on the whole, there are (roughly) the right blend of cards and actions and challenges to fit every character in, say, F&G. But games aren't played “on the whole.” Instead, there will be a specific combination of characters and they will randomly encounter a specific set of cards and challenges. There is absolutely nothing to say that the two will match or even remotely represent the intended balance and difficulty.

So you end up with one session where one character succeeds at everything, because it's the right character for the right cards being drawn, and everyone else gets slapped around horribly; or you end up with turns that will not end because everyone draws beneficial and easily accomplished tests — everyone's consistently successful, and it takes an hour to go one round around the table.

They never have any mechanics to control for these mismatches, or perhaps more accurately, they do not have the restraint to limit the number of combinations so that those mismatches don't occur to begin with. The philosophy is always that more is better and the horrible outcomes are glossed over as “narratively or thematically appropriate”, even when it's infinitely more likely that they don't make any sense at all (I'm looking at you, Saharan ice-caves).

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Tekopo posted:

Quinns wants a Space Alert with simplified rules :allears:

But…

How…

Whaa?

The rules are dead simple. It's just the actual game that is hard. :raise:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

DStecks posted:

I like Betrayal at House on the Hill and based on comments from other threads I'm about to be told why I'm wrong.

Liking bad games is a-ok — no pleasure is greater than a guilty one.
What's frowned upon is thinking bad games are good just because you like them.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Big McHuge posted:

Actually according to the long-winded comment section of SU&SD, bad design is subjective and even if it wasn't it's a-ok as long as you have fun!

That tells you quite a lot about the SU&SD comment section and the value of its statements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Speaking of, they seem to have been largely overshadowed by the release of Legacy, but how are all the other expansions and off-shoots from (regular) Pandemic that have been released lately?