Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Hey, I'm happy that someone disagrees with my take! I just felt that, mechanically, the mars/space part of worker selection was an easy retheme, and the actual play on the map itself didn't really seem to have much to distance it from a standard worker placement. As well as that, I had a big issue with the use of the crystal resource for the game, which didn't really seem to be connected to anything beyond being another resource within the game.

You are right, of course, that the base of the game itself is rooted within the actual science, and since it's clear that you have a deeper knowledge of that field than me, I won't contest it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

As well as that, a Mars survival game was actually created. I even watched like an hour long tutorial on it. I can't remember the name of it but it was critically panned.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Finally managed to see my parents after like 2 years and brought Baseball Highlights with me and I really like the game. I think it’s one of those undervalued deck builders and my dad, who usually isn’t much into board games, really enjoys it. Should get some of those expansions for it though.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

A moment in board gaming that really made it worth it for me:

My dad, who’s not really a board gamer, being really happy at beating me for the first time at Baseball Highlights 2045 after we played 3-4 games, and being really hype about how close the matches were. I’ve tried other board games in the past but this is the first one that’s really captivated him.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Zendo is a really good game, just wanted to drop that one here, have fun board game thread.

Edit: Zendo snipe

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

grate deceiver posted:

I own and respect Zendo, but as someone who works in computer touching, playing it feels like you're just doing debugging for 'fun'. I brought it once for my company's boardgame event, everyone agreed that it's a very cool and clever concept, but how about we play something different now?
I bought Zendo to my work boardgaming nights, and it was by far the most successful and liked game I bought. I work in software development.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

It's exactly the same for testing board games. You are basically playing broken versions of games over and over and over again until you find something that doesn't fall apart. You need to find people that are willing to do some crazy strategies where they do only one thing the entire game and see if it is balanced. By the end of the process you won't want to play that game ever again.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

The only thing I playtested that I still wanna play is the deck I helped make for Tash-Kalar

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

GreenBuckanneer posted:

So, who does the job of playing a game to determine that the developer isn't living in a bubble and their game is actually fun?
There's a difference between designing a game and developing it, IMO. Designers come up with the mechanism and ideas and solutions, while developers try to balance and make sure there aren't any glaring holes in the game.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Zendo is really good, gently caress the haters, I still don’t regret picking it.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Also I picked it third round, after picking up Caylus and T&E, so y’all Zendo haters can suck it

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Some Strange Flea posted:

“The structure is invalid if any red cuboids are present which are not part of a set of n red cuboids touching one another such that they form a single complete loop, where n is a prime number”.

I no longer speak to the friend who ran with this rule. This is because upon hearing the rule I bit clean through my own tongue.
That's a pretty lovely rule. Like even rules that have simple ORs can be quite difficult to get.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

There's no winning as the master though. Only players guessing the rule can win or lose. It would be like if you had a game of Falling and had the card dealer win or lose. It's just moronic. It's really loving easy to come up with some esoteric bullshit rule as the master, and if you do, you are literally not playing the game as intended.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

The only thing I remember of 18West when I used to play 18XX games was that the TP was disgustingly OP and if you don't build specifically to counter it, it will have an incredible late game.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I played unfathomable as well about 2 weeks ago and I was somewhat impressed. I think they took a lot of lessons from BSG and actually learnt from them, and the game, even with newbies, was really tight and came to a close finish. I think the menu of options for traitors really improves the game a lot and keeps them invested in the game.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Unfathomable was pretty good and I might try to get a few games of it during the holidays. It improves a lot on the formula created by BSG. The only thing I'm doubting is the replayability, but I think I can get some good games out of it and at least they fixed the bad guy reveal mechanisms this time around. Much better than in the original BSG game.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Like I'm almost kind of surprised that FFG was able to laser-drill the issues that were present in the original iteration of the game and manage to fix them so consistently. Chief among them were:
- Issues with only pilots being able to deal with enemies: completely fixed by making everyone be able to fight and fight relatively well, but allowing characters that draw combat skills to be much more efficient in that regard.
- Fixing the way that the game functions for certain number of players (I know that the cultist was a fix from a latter expansion of BSG, but I think it's good that they saw that it was a functional fix and went to implement it in Unfathomable).
- Issues with traitor reveal in that the game for them became quite boring after they revealed. Now they have an amended way of doing similar actions that they were doing before, although they are more limited in their movements and ability to sabotage things when revealed.

This isn't even including some of the novel new additions, including but not limited to:
- having specific crisis cards related to specific characters, really adding character to them and creating cool moments of choice for those specific players.
- one character being explicitly called as non-binary within the game.

Overall I was impressed: even my friends that aren't keen on traitor games liked it and were engaged till the end.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

FulsomFrank posted:

Do you think it's fair to say that it's... extremely difficult for the human side? I haven't played it but a friend who owns a copy says that of the three times he's played so far he's observed that it seems next to impossible to get that ship home.
I dunno, I've only played it a couple of times and I've had one narrow human win and one narrow hybrid win, so my pool of experiences is poor.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

You couldn't get past them playing in 1 card each per attempt to get out?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I think this thread needs a new start. The OP is out of date and to be honest I’ve been kind of out of the loop in terms of recent developments for board gaming. So if anyone wants to create a new OP and thread, I think now it’s a good time to do it.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Mr. Squishy posted:

Will this mean we can buy from WizKids again?
:thunk:

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Tbf Wizkids are better than they used to be, so the message isn't as relevant anymore.

Although Mage Knight is still a bad game. That hasn't changed.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I was planning to do a Dungeon Petz themed OP last time I considered rebooting the thread, but realised it was too much effort in the end. Also DP isn't exactly cutting edge nowadays.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

nordichammer posted:

I think that breaking game recommendations down into levels of accessibility (party, play with parents at holiday gatherings, intro, mid weight, thread weight) would be a good idea with the caveat that a players interest in a game will trump weight as far as recommendations. Also recommending games that are actually in print.

Here would be my stab.

Party: Wavelength, Monikers, Codenames
Family: Carcassonne, Azul, Happy City, High Society, Junk Art,
Intro: Quest for El Dorado, The Estates, Res Arcana
Midweight: Concordia Venus, Kemet Blood and Sand, Marvel Champions
Threadweight: Spirit Island, Food Chain Magnate, Cosmic Frog, A Feast for Odin, Too Many Bones, Root
2 Player: Targi, Battlecon, Jaipur, Santorini/Ragnarocks
Yeah this is a good suggestion! Someone get to it!

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Bottom Liner posted:

Shots fired at Tekopo :lol:
I mean, I said this myself, and I've been repeating that we needed an up to date OP for a few years now. The OP of this thread was originally posted 7 years ago. The boardgaming landscape has changed substantially since then and quite frankly I haven't been keeping up to date.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Tekopo 2nd Edition will just be different flavours of fighting card games and/or OCS.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Also ask me about my crippling addiction to fighting card games.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

BCON is better because fighting card games need a foundation of having fixed decks, since this simulates the fixed set of actions that are present within actual fighting games and therefore even the limited deck construction/character mixing present within Sakura Arms is inimical to the theme that it tries to convey.

On the other hand, Sakura Arms is better at representing that feeling of "footsies" which is almost completely missing from BaCON: I would say that BaCON is more about guessing what your opponent is going to do, while Sakura Arms is mainly concerned with proper spacing and attacking when you are at a range favourable to you.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

This happened before so someone better be getting busy writing that OP just about now. I’ll be hanging like a sword of Damocles on this thread until then

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

The next OP better be Zendo themed or I’m gonna go spare

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Regardless of if the new thread is up or not, I’m gonna close this thread on the first of January, earlier if the new thread is up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Tekopo brings a Christmas gift of closing this loving thread, happy holidays one and all.