Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Before I do anything, I think, well what hasn't been seen. Sometimes, that turns out to be something ghastly and not fit for society. And sometimes that inspiration becomes something that's really worthwhile.

Thank you for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Before I do anything, I think, well what hasn't been seen. Sometimes, that turns out to be something ghastly and not fit for society. And sometimes that inspiration becomes something that's really worthwhile.

Stickman posted:

Atomic Empire just shipped my copy. It's slow boat because it's free shipping to Hawai'i but if you're on the mainland shipping should be faster. It looks like they still have some available, but I suspect that if Atomic has stock flgs might be getting them in too?

Huh, small world - Atomic Empire is my FLGS.

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Taught Spirit Island to two people yesterday (along with a third who'd played a bunch but for some reason still hadn't internalized the "one power, one land" rule). Went up against level 1 Brandenburg-Prussia and we pulled it off despite a bad event card early on. One of the new players was Thunderspeaker and had a great time just clearing out her board. All in all everyone had a blast.

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Boxman posted:

Third, I'm the usual teacher for my group. Any tips for approaching this thing? Obviously there's a "how to play," and the first scenarios are functionally tutorials, but "lets read the how to play book aloud" is a bad idea. Assigning the How to Play as homework similarly seems like an unfun introduction.

Rodney did an excellent series of videos for JOTL, which cover the first 5 scenarios. The first video is a bit long but covers setting up the game for the first time and runs through the basic game mechanics. You don't have to make the other players watch it, but it should help familiarize you with the game and give you some ideas on how to teach it.

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Played Dungeon Lords tonight. Three of us ended up with positive scores (the fourth player only had -1 so not too bad) and everyone really dug the theme, with plenty of laugh-out-loud moments. The teach ended up being a bit longer than I'd expected - first we ran through the tutorial combats in the rulebook, then I went over the flow of the round and did an example of the worker planning and placements, and even skipping over some things like spells and scoring, it took close to an hour before we started in earnest. Aside from that, it went off really well and we all had a great time with it. One player was sure he was going to get crushed so he intentionally attracted the paladin just for fun, only to end up defeating him, plus earning four separate titles, and even the last place player walked away with a title of her own.

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Lampsacus posted:

Blood on the Clocktower

I really like Clocktower, it's nothing revolutionary but it's by far the best I've played in its genre. It gives everyone something to do, even the moderator (I love storytelling the game, since I don't really enjoy social deduction but I do love running things behind the scenes).

You mentioned "solving" the game, and it's true that groups may eventually get accustomed to everything. The game has many ways of mixing it up, though. There are 3 "base" character sets of various complexity (the third set, Sects and Violets, involves players sometimes changing characters and even changing teams) and even has the ability to create a custom character mix for new and unexpected interactions. There are also Fabled characters, which are basically special rules the storyteller can use to account for different situations. For example, if you have a few veterans and a bunch of new players, you can force the veterans to stay silent for a minute or two each day, to give the new players a chance to make deductions and bluffs on their own.

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

It's also possible you're getting a rule wrong somewhere. You mentioned that you're losing when the invaders start ravaging using the stage 3 cards. When you're playing on low difficulty (I assume you're not using an adversary, scenario, or event cards) you'll usually win before it gets to that point.

Are you correctly adding fear from all the sources you should be? (1 from destroying towns, 2 from cities, plus any fear from spirit powers) You have the correct amount of tokens in your fear pool (8 in a 2 player game)? And you have the correct number of fear cards (9 total, split among 3 tiers)?

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

This video has a good example of gameplay that you might find helpful:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qQTDyy7vtmY

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Codeacious posted:

I completely forgot about Search for Planet X. Does it have any way of playing without the app? Alchemists has a method of using a GM to check answers, for example.

I love the idea of the game but really don't want it to be unplayable in 5-10 years because the app doesn't work anymore.

From checking BGG, it looks like a print and play has been released which would allow a GM to share the results of surveys and targets with players. It was also suggested that you could have a GM create the map and starting info on their own.

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Spikes32 posted:

I could be wrong, but I think points are only earned when removing tokens not meeples.

That's correct, you don't score points for killing warriors. (It's possible that the Eyrie attacked the Marquis in a clearing with, like, one warrior and a roost, but that's unlikely).

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

So, uh, heads up that the CEO of Broken Token is a sexual abuser.

CW: Sexual assault, sexual situations, cheating, mental & emotional abuse, stalking
https://medium.com/@ashrtaylor13/speaking-up-to-protect-others-73f152bcb772

(Not going to post any excerpts as it's pretty awful).

At least one company has responded:

https://twitter.com/Cephalofair/status/1428393530532171779

Phelddagrif fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Aug 19, 2021

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

I've watched a few of their videos. Their series on Vast the Mysterious Manor was helpful to understand the different characters. Their game playthroughs are pretty poor, they overlook far too many rules for my taste. Overall I'm not a fan but I can see why people might enjoy them.

Ogdred Weary posted:

Come on. There must be one you like

Personally I like Before You Play, Gaming Rules, Slickerdrips, Nights Around A Table, BGG's Game Night, Watch It Played tutorials by Rodney, and probably some others I'm forgetting. There's plenty of good content out there!

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

I personally enjoy BGG's Game Night series, mainly because the crew genuinely seem to have a good time with almost all of the games they play. Monique and Naveen of Before You Play are also excellent at showing 2-player gameplay.

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

It might not be quite what you're looking for, but my friends and I had a lot of fun with The Initiative.

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

A friend of mine bought Oath, and we sat down for a 6-player game where none of us knew how to play and we were learning from the rulebook/learn to play guide.

We got through the first game and haven't opened it since, which is a shame since I know it's highly regarded but we had a real struggle with it going in blind.

Usually when one of us gets a new game we talk about it on Messenger first so one of us (usually me) can learn to play ahead of time, this was an exception to that rule.

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Jewmanji posted:

Did either of you get an order confirmation email? I didn’t.

I didn't get one either, but I did get an email when it was shipped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Admiralty Flag posted:

Didn't see an answer to this and I didn't want it to get lost in the new thread discussion, so I wanted to try asking again; I want to know if it's worth getting Recharged. BTW introduced Power Grid to my wife and daughter a couple of nights ago as "like Monopoly but actually fun", and even though we were a player or two short of optimal it was a big hit.

If you own the original edition, there's no need to buy Recharged. There aren't any big changes in the new box, and the changes to the rules can be easily carried to the first edition if you want.

The list of rules changes can be found here: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2182107/recharged-version-rules-changes