Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I'm kinda sad there's not more Vlaada games in the OP, but I guess they're a little too crunchy for a newbie, huh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Can we get an entry in the OP for dexterity games? That's a pretty big blind spot right now, considering the popularity of Jenga.

You could have Jungle Speed, Click Clack Lumberjack...

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Big McHuge posted:

Maybe it could have made some money, but would I be able to live with myself afterwards?
Probably in a swimming pool of $100 bills.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

OmegaGoo posted:

Please don't do this for a teaching game. This is FANTASTIC once everyone knows what they're doing, but do not do this against newbies. You will never play this game with them again.
Agreeing with this. It's pretty much true of any game.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

PRADA SLUT posted:

In the Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, I encounter a villain, defeat the villain, and he runs to another location and gets shuffled in to that deck (because there was an available location). Now, in that new location deck, there's a villain and a henchman both. If I defeat the henchman and close the location, I'm supposed to discard everything in that deck, but I notice the villain card is there. Do I just keep the villain there, with the location unclosed (meaning that the location deck is just one card, the villain), or does something different happen?

PFACG Rules, Page 13 posted:

If you succeed at meeting the When Closing requirement, search through the location deck, take out any villains, and banish the other cards. Any villains you found become the entirety of the location deck, and the location is not closed—but at least you know where the villains are!
It's actually a pretty good thing when that happens. It means you can choose exactly when to encounter the villain without having to use 'peek and stack the deck' tactics.

E:f;b

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

ChiTownEddie posted:

Galaxy Trucker is on android now!!
And is insanely fun, even if I'm routinely stomped by 'easy' AIs. :downs:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Which is a little disappointing, really.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

It's also worth pointing out that the "simplicity" of the system is faked by just moving a lot of the rules to specific cards. It's a game that would have been significantly streamlined with a proper keyword system.

Wouldn't make it any less dull, but at least it'd be more consistent.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

If two people are learning the game together, and don't mind the game being a kind of meta-campaign of "learn how to survive, then learn how to win", then Robinson Crusoe is a great 2-player game, as long as you either use the dog, or just a third player character that you decide how to use between you.

It is, however, not recommended for anyone who doesn't like co-op games where risk management is a big part of if you win or not. (Which is, personally, what I think is happening when people say RC is too luck-based.)

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

sector_corrector posted:

Any opinions based on that?
Munchkin! :j:

(Please don't actually buy Munchkin.)

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Homestuck and Munchkin are a good match: both have completely obnoxious fans and go on for years after they should have ended.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I think Car Wars is the perfect example of my usual issue with Steve Jackson games: No concept of elegance within rules. Yeah, you can pare things down, and the style (same with GURPS) is "here's all these ideas, use whatever", but there's something to be said about having a specific, concise set of elegant rules, an entry-point that is definitive, without being limited or constrained.

Basically, what I'm saying is that I tried to teach myself the rules to Car Wars and failed miserably.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You know a game is bad when even Rutibex won't defend it.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Yugioh is hilarious bullshit once you understand how it works.

It's the closest any of us will probably ever come to playing Mornington Crescent.

Highlights include rules clarification errata that actually renders the card completely unable to do what it's supposed to do, and significantly different prerequisites for summoning monsters based on the placements of commas and the difference between "must X" and "may not Y".

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Dec 26, 2014

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Countblanc posted:

That's an incredibly hilarious image, just some people huddled into a corner looking at the weirdo, who was their trusted companion moments ago but is now shoving cheese wheels and cans of beans into his cheeks and banging pots and pans together really loud.
Fittingly, this is also how the thread starts looking at someone when they try to defend Dead of Winter.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Tekopo posted:

People trying to build 'perfect ships' are the worst. The best people are the ones that, after playing a game against a few people that hadn't played with me before, were glad that I was speeding the game up because it meant that they were pressured during the game.
I keep trying to build perfect ships against the AI in the app and I take so long trying to decide where to place pieces that all the good ones are always gone. :downs:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Elyv posted:

I've only played Tzol'kin once and had no idea what I was doing, but it felt like a fun and interesting take on worker placement.
That was my experience, too. I played on BGA, and I kind of felt like I was just along for the ride. But not in a bad way? I imagine a better grasp of the rules and what's required would change that, so I guess my impression is 'would play again, if I could be taught by an actual person'.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

StashAugustine posted:

In terms of deckbuilders Dominion and Mage Knight are the only safe bets, everything else is divisive.
Puzzle Strike is also very good, though the designer is kind of a jackass. (Divisive in this case becomes "do you personally consider the game good enough to purchase it despite that".)

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

echoMateria posted:

Didn't the "unbeatable strategy" consist entirely of something as basic to deck builders as trashing cards? I remember some discussion about it, but not the details.
Yep. And then SU&SD tried to dismiss the complaint as something only ultra nerds would find.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I've never heard of Heroes Wanted. Is it any good?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I didn't get to say it 3 pages ago, but I'm slightly offended by the insinuation that Puzzle Strike is 99% Dominion, 1% alternate scoring system. It's quite obvious that PS is 99% Dominion, 1% alternate scoring system, and 100% more interesting of a theme.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Deceptive Thinker posted:

Chapel ruins games
Buy Silver
Village is terrible, until it isn't.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

That entire list is loving garbage, holy poo poo.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Clockwork Gadget posted:

SIMPLE RULES? -----> NO -------> eventually leads to carcassonne???
And Settlers. And Dominion.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Rutibex appearing to defend the image in t-minus ten posts.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Rutibex posted:

I'm not in love with the mechanics, but I had fun reading it and in the end that's all that matters right?
:golfclap:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Sgt. Anime Pederast posted:

What's this battlecon game that's at the top of the list? I haven't seen anyone discuss it in the thread ever.
That's because it has its own thread. BattleCON is a lot like Yomi in theme, 'card game about 2D fighting games', but instead of playing and drawing cards from a 52-card deck, you select two halves of an attack from a set that's determined when you pick your character. It's all about bluffing, prediction, and positioning, and there's PBPs of it all the time if you want to give it a go.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Twilight Imperium 3 is the game you play if Eclipse is too light for you and/or you have an entire weekend to kill with a bunch of 4X nerds.

Conversely, Eclipse is the best space-themed 4X that isn't Quantum (which I don't think really counts for the first two Xs, but :shrug:) or TI3.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Jedit posted:

It's a viable strategy. The guy who tried it in our first game finished fourth of five on 21 points (the top two both had 25, third was 22), but that could have turned into a win with better knowledge of the game. Harvesting a couple of small grapes early on and letting them mature into filling one big order in the endgame can make up several points, and because you've been doing a lot of tours you should have more money for the tiebreaker. However, it may be less economical in terms of actions than hammering out cheap orders for maximum residuals.
It's interesting from a conceptual standpoint. "Everyone around me is getting into the wine-making business, why would I try to shoulder in on them when I could just sell their wine?"

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

T-Bone posted:

I meant more "teleport his units out of here, play cards that allow for no combat, etc" -- actively hinder him, rather than just kind of reacting to Khorne.
Oh, yeah, playing actively against Khorne makes it very hard for him to get the murder train rolling. Of course, then you're dedicating resources that might otherwise be used to chase your objectives or hinder your other enemies.

This, in essence, is the core of CitOW. Finding the right balance of screwing everyone else and not getting screwed yourself. And there's no other game like it.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Tekopo posted:

The entire COIN series would beg to disagree :v:
You shush.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

thespaceinvader posted:

The only one I've played other than Mage Knight is Robinson Crusoe and I would play co-op Mage Knight any day over Robinson Crusoe.
I've said it a couple times, but I think it bears repeating: Robinson Crusoe is very, very good, but in exactly two mutually-exclusive situations.

1. Several players of about equal skill level at board games experiencing it for the first time together (and their continued adventures of trying to master it together).
2. A marvelous solo game with a meta-campaign of learning to suck less.

The quarterbacking problem in RC is atrocious, because of the punishing difficulty, and how difficult it is to just give decent 'general statement' good advice any more advanced than "don't forget about your roof, fucko". So if one or two players are significantly more experienced than the others ('significantly' in this case can even be 'almost completed the first scenario once'), it becomes them telling everyone else what to do, because otherwise you'll all lose and die.

But learning it, alone or together, and overcoming each obstacle feels great, and can really test the collective brainpower and risk management skills of the player(s).

If you're set for either of those situations, I recommend it whole-heartedly. Otherwise, I just can't in good conscience tell anyone to buy something that's just about the same cost and difficulty to teach as Space Alert.

(Also, RC's instruction manual is hot garbage and should be burned immediately.)

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jan 12, 2015

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

T-Bone posted:

Is Descent any good? The D&D board games? Mice & Mystics? Pathfinder? Anything else to recommend ?
1. Yes, though the balance varies from "a little fiddly" to "snowball's chance in hell".
2. Yes, though they're actually more like 'crisis management'/'dungeon race'/'fantasy SWAT team' games than traditional dungeon crawlers.
3. Everything I've heard says that's it's cute and pretty, but is very shallow and gets old quickly.
4. Fiddly as all goddamn hell.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jan 12, 2015

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I still enjoy SU&SD, but definitely through the lens of "this is how a new/inexperienced board gamer would feel about this game after one play", which can be a dangerous loving route to take. (See: My dust-gathering copy of Tales of the Arabian Nights.)

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Somberbrero posted:

Truly a theme and a game worthy of each other; both keep going well after they've outstayed their welcome.
Somber, you stole my joke. :colbert:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Gutter Owl posted:

And that little connection is the feeling of a job well done, which will hopefully replace the feeling of food.
That made me giggle like an idiot.

Edit for content: Played Seasons for the first time on BGA with a random. It was... interesting, I guess? With BGA streamlining, I could see it as a decent timewaster, at least. And I got some kind of perverse fun out of continuously hot potatoing a cursed rabbit to my opponent, then charging them an exorbitant fee to give it back, only to just nuke it for crystals at the end. (For anyone who knows the game: holy poo poo, that Mirror of Seasons card is really loving good.)

Is Seasons as much of a nightmare to set up and tear down as it looks like? Because good lord, I started to get tired of the goofy 'extended point calculation' three year cycle by the end of year two, and I had a computer doing everything.

It has the substance of a filler game, and conceivably the playtime, but I can't imagine it at all has the quick set-up/tear-down of one.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jan 14, 2015

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Gutter Owl posted:

Now, we've seen that you can go the Kickstarter route and still have success in distro. Stonemaier, Level 99, and Tasty Minstrel are success stories here, partly because they made smart moves and didn't shoot themselves in the foot. Level 99, for example, never does Kickstarter Exclusives. (Exclusives might draw in backers by threatening them with "losing out," but exclusives devalue the later retail copies, which are "incomplete" and unappealing.) But you've gotta make sure you're not making GBS threads on the people who will keep you in business after the rush.
It'd be interesting to see a company that has cheaper-to-produce games make an on-demand system work. Make small print runs of cheap, interconnectable games (like if Level 99 every so often put out two-character packs instead of their big-boxes, or some kind of small-scale LCG thing). Glyos toys manage something fairly similar, selling the mutant hybrid of action figures and building toys, with the 'gotta collect them all' incentive of different colors and occasional bonus parts.

I can't think of any game where it'd be the best option, but it'd be interesting to see someone make it work.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Shes Not Impressed posted:

Is Chinatown ever going to come back into stock? I was hoping my FLGS would have it dusty on a shelf, but it's all Munchkin and $100 for Caverna. Maybe I should just give in and get Archipelago finally.
Not since SU&SD gave a massively glowing review of it. It's gonna be out of stock everywhere for a good long while. Best case scenario is that demand is so high, they do another print run eventually (see: TotAN), but it won't be for a little while, at least.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

ETB posted:

Not, but BBT makes nerds relatable and mainstream!

:audience laughter:
Banzangoo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

xopods posted:

Yeah, I used to play this back in the day, but this would be more like a cross between that and something like Dominion in that you'd start off with, say, 20 each of 3 basic resources and be using/sacrificing those to add new cards to your deck, and then be cycling through your deck repeatedly (and faster and faster as the game goes on and your deck dwindles). As opposed to Mechwarrior where you start with a fully built deck and only go through it once, and lose when you can't draw.
Which direction are you going? Destroy-own or destroy-opponent? I'd like to fiddle around with the concept, too, but would rather not end up just reinventing whatever wheel you make.