Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

The final spice...your tears <3

Jedit posted:

Arkwright. :getin:

Seriously, though - it's getting great reviews from the people who play games that long and deep, but it's not showing on the BGG radar because those people are small in number and the system weights against them. And as it came out at Essen, he's unlikely to have it.

I'm pretty sure Arkwright is OOP already. And only 1000 copies were printed. Have fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

A thought occurred to me regarding BattleCON and Yomi that make me feel the two are even less comparable than they are. Once Upon a Time, Broken Loose talked about how he plays 2D fighters of the Video Game variety, so Yomi/BattleCON kind of lose their relevance. I thought about that...and kind of wonder how it holds true to BattleCON, actually. BattleCON keeps up the appearance of a 2D fighter, but Yomi definitely takes home the "abstracting feeling like a 2D fighter award." BattleCON, however, gets this weird and possibly unintentional side-effect of being a game that isn't totally trying to be how a fighting game feels on card; as such it gets to do some interesting things that strictly don't work in a video fighting game.

BattleCON is more like if a 2D fighter was played in some weird freeze-frame, tool-assisted mode where dexterity was removed completely but no core mechanic was put in to replace this removal other than making complex characters (maybe). It's essentially a different game idea as a result.

I can't argue which is better (or if I did I'd probably concede Yomi as a better-executed design maybe). I enjoy BattleCON a ton because of my perverse glee in exploring new game mechanics*, and holy poo poo BattleCON has dozens and dozens of characters and isn't afraid to drastically alter the game mechanics for their unique abilities.

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

I got my non-boardgaming family to play five-player Space Alert with me. I started with the tutorial scenario, and today we finished (and won) an internal threats simulation.

I hope you understand how happy it makes me to have family people (that I like pretty okay) play loving Space Alert and enjoy it.

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

The Ultra Euro, Roads & Boats and its &cetera expansion, are on sale at CSI. These are expensive games, so seeing them $50 off and $22 off respectively is a pretty impressive sale; especially since they're definitely "grail status" games.

Make no mistake, you're getting a lot of pieces with this game. The designers, Splotter (a couple of guys who make their own games as a hobby, thus their absurd limited-print-run prices), demo'ed this game at Essen for fun when they were just a handful of people. People asked when they'd release it, and Splotter went "this game would be unpublishable." It's rather surprising that it exists, actually considering:

quote:

The basic game contains a rule and scenario book in English and German, a pile of hexagonal terrain tiles, 120 means of transportation from donkeys to steamers (wooden pieces), 75 walls (little wooden rods), 4 research boards, 28 discovery stones (glass), a wonder of the world with 193 wonder stones (cardboard), 18 mines + bags, 115 factories (cardboard), 600 goods (cardboard) and several other parts.

The several other parts include a loving clear plastic overlay and wet-erase marker to draw your roads..

Gameplay wise, if you want a really, really hefty wooden-pieces euro about transport and dicking over your friends worse than Caylus economy; this is one to get.

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

You absolutely can tank Dead of Winter with one turn as a traitor. Everybody completes their turn in sequence, including putting down any 'secret' thing to resolve a crisis, before a check crisis step happens. Traitor can just wait until he's last in turn order for a full round (something that just swings clockwise at the end of each crisis) and bomb the game after everyone has had their turn. Yes you can do this. Yes it has happened to me. No this isn't a good game.

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

Samurai Spirit is pretty great at being an easy-to-teach co-op with enough challenge to be fun, despite suffering from what you'd expect a turn-based coop to suffer from (quarterbacking ahoy!). The compact box is also quite welcome. And it is hard.

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

Elysium posted:

So given how almost pointless the board is in Temporum, this is how I'll be traveling with it this weekend:

That's a Timeline box measuring a few inches by a few inches. Just putting the cards on the table negates most of the need for the board, and if the cards aren't enough to delineate the zone space for the crowns we can use a piece of paper or something. Funnily, Timeline is quite an appropriate box...

p.s. this is how I roll with the entire contents of the Carcassonne Big Box (minus the scoring board and instructions):

Props to your method; board game compression is the way to go. This is how I'm going to pack for an upcoming convention. I'm being restricted to one suitcase and a small pack for luggage. Oh the games that will be squeezed in that suitcase.

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

Countblanc posted:

Archipelago definitely has too many hidden objectives to work with two people, I agree, but I think it's fine with four or five (assuming everyone has access to a player aid so you don't have to memorize that poo poo).

In the two player game each player gets two objectives, with the Pacifist and Separatist removed. I've found tracking objectives in a two player game much more manageable than in a multiplayer match most of the time.

The game needs more loving player aids and game tracking than is in the box though. I've gotten some good print outs for objective references, but I'd really want to make a custom player board for tracking how close end-game conditions are to possibly happening.

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

For every problem Dead of Winter gets shat on for here, Archipelago has sidestepped wonderfully. Except Archipelago hamfistedly stereotypes and fantasizes colonialism--or at least is really, really crass about it.

Basically Archipelago needs to be reskinned with zombies (each player is managing a survivor camp and trying to keep the contagion level down while exploring new areas to find survivor camps blah blah blah) and all the nerds would be happy. Either that or the Worst Game would be created....

Seriously though if you can acknowledge the rather ludicrous colonialism in Archipelago it's everything a semi-cooperative game should be.

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

EBag posted:

For those euro gamers out there, what are you favorite heavy euros that play well with 2? I'm talking real heavy, like 4+ on BGG. I have a lot of great mid weight euros but I want something that will really burn my brain. I've been thinking about Vinhos in particular but I'm open to suggestions.

Through the Ages is the quintessential choice, although it kind of falls apart once you hit its rather high skill ceiling.

Vinhos kicks rear end. EDIT: Also it's definitely got the most heavy in the shortest timespan of any game I know. One of the few heavier euros where the box time is overestimating playtime.

Madeira is pretty legit.

Kanban is probably as good as Vinhos but I haven't played it too much as of yet.

Dominant Species is pretty much the bees knees even at two-player with the added benefit of going all the way up to six.

If you can stomach the prices and get a hold of them, Roads & Boats (&cetera) and Antiquity are some of the best heavy euros out there.

The new Arkwright is currently my heavy game of choice (bring poker chips) (suffers from high prices as well).

Mage Knight Board Game is very euro-ey and better with lower player counts (I'd recommend solo!), but not quite the "heavy euro" you're asking for.

EDIT: Oh hey taser rates also brought up Arkwright! I'd wager a two hour game of Arkwright could be feasible with experience (with two players!), although set-up is hefty both in components and decision making.

ANOTHER EDIT: I'm not sure which of these would be the 'best' heavy euro by the way. Vinhos is probably the safest wager, although I'm really loving Arkwright right now. The Splotter games (Roads & Boats and Antiquity) are amazing but are something you'll need to do research on before deciding (i.e. niche as gently caress and make sure they're right for you).

ONE MORE EDIT THING: Also if you want to see how hilariously limited your euro options are on BGG; do advanced search for games with a 4+ weight rating and filter out the categories "trains" and "wargames."

Trynant fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jan 31, 2015

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

EBag posted:

Thanks, this is great. I'm debating between Vinhos and Arkwright, they both sound interesting in their own regards. I've been reading some reviews for Arkwright, some possible concerns I've seen say that shipping to India can be a dominating strategy, and also that because of that it can lack player interaction. Have you noticed that or think it may be a legitimate problem?

Honestly I hadn't really considered Dominant Species for 2 players, I always assumed it would be like Eclipse in that it's playable at 2 but is much, much better with 4+. You think that isn't the case? I would definitely give it a look if I'm wrong as I love the theme. How long is it with 2 players on average?

I used to have Mage Knight, it was actually one of the first modern board games I picked up. In some aspects it was awesome, the puzzle of hand management and feeling of escalation was great, but I found it to be too fiddly in some ways and have since traded it away.

Re: Arkwright: I must be doing something wrong because I can't win through shipping for the life of me. That your share values (i.e. how you win the game) go down when you use it makes the whole business feel like a shipping strategy needs good preparation to pull off well. As for player interaction; for a game where you can't block player actions there sure are a gently caress-ton of ways to feel screwed over by other players' actions....In short no I don't think those are legit problems, but note I've not played much of Arkwright yet compared to Vinhos.

Dominant Species is definitely better 2 player than Eclipse is 2 player, although yes DS is better with higher player counts.

Really, the most reasonable answer is Vinhos--it's shorter than Arkwright and less of a strain on the wallet. Or maybe hunt for that two-player variant of Brass which apparently is a thing and is still a really good game.

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

The Supreme Court posted:

Is it fixable, and how much work would it take to turn into a good game?

If you want a game in the same genre that's less work to fix into at least a fairly good game, I hear Xia is the perfect* fit.

*the fact that it needs fixing in the first place not withstanding

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

All this talk of wine-making euros and no mention of Vinhos, the heavy wine-making-in-Portugal game, in sight. For shame, goons. For shame.

Also Vinhos has the plus of not being Another Worker Placement Game, still being a meaty euro design, and for all its depth and complexity finishing its play in two or less hours.

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

Bosushi! posted:

I was going to make a joke that Broken Loose had completed his apotheosis into David Sirlin, but he already basically admitted it, so there went my fun.

There are pandas in Final Attack?!

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

Elemennop posted:

I have couple general issues with Archipelago that I am wondering if other people have had. The first is that it seems that exploration has a high enough percentage of success that there's no reason not to be aggressive exploring it early. It seems most our games progress the same way, we explore turn 1 - actions 1 and/or 2. Then, on action 3 or on the next turn, the labor market is large enough that we can each buy 2-3 laborers. Then, following reproduction, each us frequently have 7-9 citizens. That will increase the citizen tracker high enough that there's a significant buffer, also with the additional resource cubes on the market it will make crises easier to quell or just ignore. Also, with that high of a citizen population, there's very little reason not to just tax instead of pursuing alternative incomes through the markets. Migration taking a full action disk makes it frequently a worse option than just exploring. For one, a successful exploration will give you a resource cube and exploration token. Secondly, if you try to move into an occupied hex, the opposing player will have an action in response to just erect a city and take control of the hex. Also, fighting it out early with someone, will just give the others an early lead. In addition to all that, with high early populations a lot of the evolution cards are also frequently useless.

The second general issue I have is that in conjunction to the above, if you build a couple churches and get some of the appropriate progress cards, then the colony is pretty much never on the verge of rebellion. If anything, it seems we play too cooperatively. There also isn't much incentive as a separatist to keep your own workers rebelling if you're not going to immediately win, since you're both outing and paralyzing yourself for an entire turn. It's not difficult for the others to immediately build a couple churches, get some citizens, and mine a stockpile. So far, outside of the first game we played, the separatist has only won once, and that was because of victory points.

The third general issue I have is that the entire game seems to revolve around stones. With only 12 stones in the bank and it being absolutely essential to all infrastructure, pretty much every game we quickly mine all the stones. Usually, one player will hold a significant stockpile of them behind their screens. Then, the negotiations become around the player with stones getting the person with the next action to immediately mine all the stones. This means that one or two players (the ones who have access to several stone mines on their first few hexes) can quickly take complete control of the entire stone economy, and thus all pretty much all infrastructure (and many VPs as a result).

As a result of the above, it seems like all our games unfold exactly the same. I mean, it's still an engaging game since there's still a careful race and negotiation for VPs conditions, but I wish we were constantly exploiting all the mechanics of the game and had more variety in strategies. I should note that we only play the long game, and that it's completely possible we misread one of the rules when we started.

You're honestly the first person to voice this particular complaint except for possibly the bolded part. Archipelago can suffer from group think fatigue because the whole game hinges on player dynamics (even if there's a lot of meat beyond that). It is odd that your citizens feel like a buffer since the domestic crises on large populations drain far more resources than a small population--far more than I expected exploration resource boosts to help.

That being said, if you want an example of early-game big money port + double pineapple exotic fruit in early game is a bonus action that gives you 16 money. And iron on a local market is hefty money without hinging on stone. And yes stone is a huge deal (although I find fish to be important to put into the game just because harvesting it is an incredible chore).

In addition the War & Peace expansion really adds some truly game-changing cards. Most of the evolution cards in that expansion are on par in effect with the likes of Barbarian, Assassin, or Spy.

I will say that I play Archipelago with wildly different groups and get wildly different games; I'm curious what would be your experience with a different group of players....

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

Re: Argent: The Consortium

• I pitch it as "Hogwarts Simulator 2015: Worker Placement Edition." The chancellor of a magical university is stepping down and you as a professor are trying to win votes from a secret council (the titular Consortium) via casting magick spells and sending your student mages to do errands. This theme is important for another bullet point.

• The game has a lot of open information and moving parts to keep track of. So yes, Analysis Paralysis to a heavy degree (almost as bad as BattleCON).

• The game eats tables.

• I wouldn't say Argent is fiddly as much as it has a lot of moving parts. As in, yes you have a lot stuff on the board, but its all mechanically relevant and there are very few moments where you're moving pieces without a decision being processed as a result (i.e. what I'd say "fiddly" means).

• Victory in the game is a nice twist. Sure there's a "influence track" which is the closest thing to generic victory points, but that's only one of twelve scoring conditions. Two are open (influence and a certain card type), but then the other ten are secret (at the start) and require a certain action to be able to inspect them. The result is that engine optimization is not really a thing. That being said, influence points do break ties on votes and that's incredibly important.

• The biggest deviation in Argent is the actual placement of workers. The gist is that when you place a worker what you place actually matters: there are five (six with expansion) different types of mages (i.e. workers) each with different powers. Powers range from being able to wound other mages, immunity to wounding, being able to place as a bonus action, etc. Oh and there's beta sides for each mage, giving them different special abilities.

• The even bigger twist is that in lieu of placing a mage you can use a card you've acquired during play. Perhaps a spell that banishes a mage back to the player's pool, or call on a Supporter to grant you some extra gold.

• The cool part about this action economy is that it doesn't break under a player with a ton of available cards and mages because another main action is taking a one-time benefit Bell Tower Card. After all of a small set of these cards are taken the round automatically resolves; a player can either rush to end a round early, or a player who ran out of actions early will be forced to take Bell Tower Cards while the other players scramble to get as much of their cards played as they can.

• Oh hey the worker placement locations has a neat twist as well; each game there are different rooms laid out to play. Each room has a few worker spots and will do varying effects. While three rooms are guaranteed to be in the game, the other five to twelve rooms are randomly selected. With each room having a simpler alpha and a more complex beta side, you'll never run out of game layouts for Argent.

• The kind of whatever part of the game is that the cards you take are from market rows. While there's some degree of luck mitigation here, there definitely are some powerful cards that a player could just snag from chance. At least almost all the cards are useful, with the only useless ones are easily avoided and planned around.

• There is importance in that this game can be pitched as "Hogwarts Simulator 2015: Worker Placement Edition." The big draw I can see for Argent aside from being a solid tactical-thinking worker-placement is that it has an attractive theme for people who would otherwise only touch Lords of Waterdeep when placing their workers. I'd recommend this one as both a good game and one that can be easier to get to a (big) table because it has a cool narrative premise.

Overall I'm digging Argent a lot and want to play it a lot more. I don't think it's as mechanically brilliant as some creme de la creme worker placements, but it's drat close. AP vulnerable, yes, but if you can get past that hurdle, the modularity and nigh-endless content makes this one a really good buy.

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

EvilChameleon posted:

Thanks for this write-up, I'm seriously considering buying this game now, unless someone can come in and detail some horrible problem with it. I sort of glazed over watching the Watch It Played video but it seemed cool. Which WP games would you compare it to / say are bestest?

I really can't think of great WP analogs. There's hidden victory conditions and a constant change-up of special ability cards to select from, so that's kind of like Archipelago. There's a delay between placing your workers and actually getting the pay-off of where ever you put them (i.e.they're two separate phases in a round), which is akin to Dominant Species or Caylus. And then there's mechanics that I have trouble to find analog to--especially in WP--like how your placement action is done being your primary decision rather than the result of that placement. I also have trouble recalling WP games that grant tons of opportunities for extra actions but then is kept in check because you can rush the end of round. I also have no loving idea what to compare the modular worker placement slots to.

So...I dunno. This game is more similar to non-spatial worker placements (i.e. not Dominant Species or Archipelago...) but really Argent is its own thing.

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

Crackbone posted:

Also, played my copy Argent yesterday. Dammit, I really wanted to like this but I think it's suffering from Level99 syndrome: neat idea that kept growing instead of having an editor come in and chop away the cruft....

Complicated is fine, but what kills this game for me is there are so many places where it could have been streamlined to little loss. For example, there are Intelligence counters, which let you learn spells, Wisdom counters, which let you level up spells. Why not just condense all of that down into one token type?

I don't really think the mechanics overload is inherently bad, so there's most likely bias with what I'm about to say. The first play of Argent I had I couldn't tell if it all its mechanics came together into something worthwhile or was just a mess of ideas crushed together. After a few plays I'm confident there is a richness here that does benefit from its complexity. There was already the point made of INT and WIS counters having a reason for being separate.

The complaints about unique card effects is pretty accurate...with all Level99 games. The more I mess with their published products, the more I wish they could create consistent iconography in their designs.

quote:

The other major problem is the actual card text/rulebook. There's a distinct lack of technical writing, which means there is a ton of stuff that is unclear/flat out not answered. The game has been out less than a month and there are already a 3 pages of rules questions on BGG, a 3 page FAQ thread, and a dedicated manual rewrite in the works from a frustrated user.

I was gonna write more but now I'm bummed out.

Speaking of consistent and communicative rules, yeah, Argent (and BattleCON for that matter) is awful at clarity. I think there's not too much here that can't be handled with a "house rule on the spot" handwave, but YMMV. If this type of stuffs is insufferable for you, I would heavily recommend waiting for a proper reprint (or at least time for a good FAQ/Errata pdf to release).

TL;DR: Argent does suffer from a lot of problems that Level99 games published products do in regards to clarity of graphics design (so much unique mechanics text... on tiny one-sided cards...) and rules ambiguities at the smaller stuff.

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

Crackbone posted:

In terms of actual game length, god help me (but again, it was a game with a dude who was taking 3+ minutes per turn). In terms of rounds, I would agree - another round or two would let some engines start and potentially do interesting things.

I'm getting AP just reading that.

Advising to run away from that player as fast as possible aside, there totally is a round 6 variant and scenarios add start-of-round effects and vary in length. Argent is almost as absurd in modular content as BattleCON....

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

I'm kind of in awe how anyone can squeeze debate from Dominion anymore. It's going on seven years of discussion, and frankly there's nothing new being said about it here :(

Echophonic posted:

Anyway, I'm planning on getting Argent to the table this week. Any tips for first time players or teaching it?

Make sure your table can fit the drat game.

Crackbone is write that looking at a rewritten rulebook/faq stuff helps a ton. You should during teaching just flat out say that if you catch a mechanic with vague or little clarification; get ready to agree on a quick house-rule and find out the answer for a new session.
It might be good to just print out this errata/faq post on BGG.

Also try to enforce or state that the game can cause AP and do what you can to mitigate it from a player end?

Basic FAQ things that are worth pointing out:
While Shadow mages have to normally be placed next to normal mages, effects that move the normal mages don't null the Shadow Mages actions.
Infirmary is cleared out after Resolution, spells that just move mages in any room can target mages in an infirmary.
Taking a Bell Tower card doesn't knock you out of the round, but you when you take a Bell Tower card cannot gain any extra actions from special effects that you normally would after other Main Actions. You can take a Bell Tower card even if you've taken one before.

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

fozzy fosbourne posted:

What do goons think of Eklund games like Pax Porfiriana

Tekopo pretty much nailed Pax. It's a screw-your-neighbor card-tableau game with rules to keep balance issues in check. A slow-moving market row mitigates a lot of luck-gently caress. The deck triggers the end of game, so you don't have the game drag with a "can somebody please win already" end-game like Munchkin. That players win based on beating the players in last place mitigates a lot of "gang up on leader" poo poo. Biggest problem with Pax is that there's a lot of rules chrome, i.e. rules almost solely in place to reflect the game's theme (don't even get me started on chain railroads). If you can get past the convoluted small rules, the gist of the game is not too hard to grasp.

quote:

and Greenland?
Haven't gotten it to table, partly because it looks like it's going to be dice-fest random to a bad degree. Gameplay wise there's card-tableau stuff but all the cards act loosely as worker-placement actions. Except your workers are hunters and have to roll dice to succeed. At least the game gives you a probability of success chart at the back of the rulebook, but gently caress. Oh, there's also player elimination. gently caress. It's a shame because there seems to be a good bit of interesting mechanisms in play (especially sending out workers to hunt while trying to fight through an increasingly difficult selection of actions due to an impending ice age).

EDIT: Should be noted that Pax Pamir is coming out. It's a card game using Pax Porfiriana's system, but set in 19th-century Afghanistan. Players are tribal warlords trading with and manipulating various nations in the land where empires go to die. It'll be published by Eklund's publishing company, Sierra Madre games, at some point....

Trynant fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Mar 9, 2015

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

Gutter Owl posted:

CitOW is super good, but PubicMice specifically asked for not-wargames.

I dunno, CitOW is "not-wargamey" enough to be worth a mention at least.

Either way Gutter Owl is probably right in that Cave Evil is probably the closest you can get the grimmest darkest of thematic-over-balanced board games without being poo poo about it. It uses standups instead of minis but hey just follow the threads advice of pimping out a copy with worse games' minis (or just look at some of the Reaper minis).

Moving on, I went and played Agricola for what must of been a while. Playing it again feels like coming back to a real classic, most so in that Agricola feels like a game that didn't have to change up the worker placement formula to compete with other worker placements. I forget how straightforward that heavy game can get.

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

PerniciousKnid posted:

Reading about Panamax is kind of inspiring me to play a train game that focuses more on the logistics of running trains and less on the logistics of owning them. Are there any good train games that focus more on cargo prices than stock prices?

If you can find it, Container is a game about setting prices to hell and back.

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

Argent suffers from analysis paralysis in the same way that worker-placement games generally suffer from AP; that problem is taking those few seconds longer each turn of each round.

It's kind of weird, but I've seen many AP players take proportionally longer on small turns that add up (e.g. worker-placements) over games with lengthy downtime between player turns. Games that always keep a player engaged in the game make AP worse a lot since if someone zones out or gets distracted from the game that person isn't thinking about their turn ahead of time. Worker placement games tend to have quick turns and heavy engagement and thusly both the things that make a slow player even more noticeable.

It's especially bad because you could see three of four people in a game almost immediately take their turn and then this long pause of nothing as one player just silently looks at the board state. Games are pretty much more enjoyable when the rhythm between actions is consistent, and even the smallest roadblock of overthinking after a smooth road of decisions can be jarring.

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

Tekopo posted:

Gonna play High Frontier + Colonization today. A speed game of it. Wish me luck :suicide:

Quote from another player at my last (and only so far) game of it: "Man, this will be so much fun the next time I play it."

There is no such thing as a speed game of that thing.

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

Speaking of deckbuilders, I tried for the first time the one that doesn't suck that isn't Dominion: Eminent Domain (with Escalation). It's a great display of how to make a good game with a deck-building mechanic without cloning Dominion except with worse card pool rules.

I mean, technically Eminent Domain has "worse" card pool rules than Dominion in that you're forced to put a card into your deck each round; but the game is built around this mechanic rather than as some gimmicky device that some designer haphazardly threw in to not be Dominion. The deck-building mechanic is essentially also a Puerto-Rico style role selection and that's really cool. Biggest complaint I see going for it is that there's little in ways of random setup even with Escalation; and I could see the Planet Deck screwing you over (less than the Junkyard deck in Arctic Scavengers though). Overall it's the only deckbuilder that wasn't Dominion that I felt was a game that thought about what deckbuilding could add to its design rather than making a deckbuilder that "fixes" Dominion.

...although my copy was missing the twenty small fighters and I had to use cubes from another game for my play. Now to wait for TMG to send spare parts....

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

At least Splendor doesn't make you shuffle a tiny deck of cards every minute :smug:

I was really supportive of Splendor until I realized it's pretty much a knock off of 7-Wonder's engine-building with poker chips and market rows instead of card-drafting.

EDIT:

Chomp8645 posted:

"Ugh, another wargame? We just played a wargame you guys how about something euro?"

- my idiot retard friend when we proposed following up Merchants and Marauders with Kemet

:negative:

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

RainTree posted:

I'm currently doing a project for work where we're designing a game that will be using cards as its central mechanic. I'm in charge of getting everyone started, and I've begun typing up a list of different card game models that we could use as inspiration. This is what I have so far:

Standard Deck - Anything that uses a playing card deck. A fixed set of cards that are used to establish fixed probabilities the players can use to make strategic choices. E.g. Love Letter.

CCG - Anything that uses a constantly growing set of cards that follow a central ruleset with the economic model of randomized packs. E.g. Magic.

LCG - Similar to CCGs, but based on sets that take randomness out of deckbuilding. So long as the player is current with what is released they have access to the whole card pool. E.g. Netrunner.

Deckbuilder - Whereas CCGs focus on pre-built decks before play, deckbuilders turn the act of play into slowly assembling a deck from turn to turn. Players purchase cards from some sort of market, incorporate these into a growing deck, and then use these cards in later turns to take actions within the gamespace. E.g. Dominion.

Drafters - Usually similar to Deckbuilders, where players are choosing cards from turn to turn, however instead of buying from a central market they are passing hands of cards between each player and choosing from those cards. Players have an incomplete idea of what is available at the start of the game and slowly come to understand the gamespace as play progresses. E.g. Seven Wonders.

Are there any other archetypes I'm missing there?

Through the Ages and Pax Porfiriana use a market-row system that doesn't involve much hand-having (although there is some). "Tableau building market row" doesn't have a nice ring, but it has popped up on enough occasions where I feel it's a card system worth mention.

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

Wow do I really not post enough to be on that list? Not even in top 100...but then again neither is Archipelago; so I can deal.

In regards to content discussion, Robinson Crusoe is about the second best compromise I can make for "pretty pieces solitaire coop" that covers the table with pieces and mechanics and presenting a game that matches its theme pretty well. The first best being Mage Knight, [EDIT]although Mage Knight feels a little more cerebral and is twice as long[/EDIT].

I recommend Robinson Crusoe to people who liked how Arkham Horror just eats tables and looks cool doing so, but wants a similar experience without so much suck. It's one of those "there's not much better alternatives in that specific niche within a genre within a hobby" problems. Try Mage Knight first.

And Crusoe just has awful awful rules. Ability to allow fudging in your play absolutely required.

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

Ayn Randi posted:

I'm gonna attempt to get a first game of Argent tonight, 2 player. Any rules I should be extra sure I'm not missing/getting wrong? I've read the book and watched the watch it played, think the gotchas that stand out in memory from reading over were no instant-speed errands trigger for moving into a space as opposed to placing (I don't think it's relevant anyway since the basic first game layout doesn't use any instant speed rooms I think?) and mages in shadow slots not counting as having their powers (including blue/green immunities), anything else? I've also seen some say that rather than use the 2 player variant in the rulebook (9 tiles, a full 7 mages drafted) just stick with the 3 player 8 tile/5 mage setup - anyone have a preferred best 2p variant?

Even if you're doing the 3-player setup (probably a good idea); definitely do side B of infirmary.

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

Is it me or did no one loving mention Ca$h 'n Guns as a high-tier thematic game that perfectly uses its components to convey theme? Because if not, what the gently caress guys.

I'm getting Shades of Tezla in soon as well. I can only hope my card sleeving will mitigate some of the mismatching--it's already the case because I have second edition of the base game that doesn't match up with expansion cards.

Also, just putting it out there; but fun...may not be the worst word in the world if it has obvious context of its most common definition--light-hearted amusement. Some games are "fun" in such a way that anyone can immediately relate "oh this is just simple entertaining filler" and still are good. It's getting to the boiling point where people are trigger fingers against three dumb letters.

An interesting tangent; there was a point made on occasion that the often cited "bad games" often are hard to recommend alternatives to. A good example, while not an outright bad game, is Catan. Frankly, there aren't better direct alternatives to Settlers of Catan. I can tout Archipelago as much as I want for taking trading, expansion, and development to a wonderful level; but its not nearly as lightweight and snippy as Settlers. I guess one can blame the lack of direct trading in modern euros for Catan's lack of heirs, but it's just one cited game that kind of fits a niche no other games have yet to fill despite there being room for improvements.

My point to this whole conjecture is that I've given up a bit on making GBS threads on certain scorned games when there are not enough alternatives for someone to play instead. Thank god deck-builders don't have this problem :v:

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

Andarel posted:

Only game that's really similar to the meat of Catan imo is Avalon Hill's version of Civ, which is probably better but also takes 8 hours and requires minimum 6. Amazing game though.

If we're disregarding game-length and complexity, let me tell you about a little game called Archipelago.

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

Tekopo posted:

I didn't like how most of the solutions are 'ignore them' or 'be pass-agg'. From 1-5 he just promotes behaviours that will acerbate issues: I've been in a game were a couple were colluding and it both soured me to playing with them and playing that particular game altogether and it wasn't called out at the time because I was young and afraid of confrontation.

When people stop being interested, you can't ignore them either because the enjoyment of the game is gonna be negatively affected for everyone: Quinn seems to be working on the assumption that the only person that a problem player affects is you, not the group as a whole. I've also been in a situation where someone stopped paying attention and it affected both me and the other 2 players at the table and I ended the game because everyone's interest had ended after having to wait ages for the problem player to com back to the player/pay actual attention to the game.

He's absolutely correct about people being insulting/demeaning and that you should put your foot down but for the rest he acts like they aren't problems at all: they are certainly lesser problems but they can still be problems that negatively impact a night and should be prevented from happening.

I think the solutions he presented for 1-5 are pretty helpful for playing with a smaller group of friends rather than a bigger meetup. I also inferred that this advice is less applicable for getting specific, difficult-to-pitch games to the table and moreso general tips on being accommodating when feasible. Frankly the first five problem players seem to stem from a premise of "game night" rather than "game meet up." The latter case there's more need for, well, people to be less problematic.

Number 6 was solid talk though yeah.

EDIT: Also regardless of the viability of advice; Quinns needs to do more general topic videos like this and that introducing board games one a way back because he hits a stride that kind of doesn't get to be seen when inspecting a single game.

Trynant fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Sep 26, 2015

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

Archipelago is still my favorite game. I had my second-best "worst loss" yesterday where I ended the game early and only lost because I gave a player some money as good faith only to have him win 'most money' both as a score and for tie-breaking (the first worst being intentionally throwing the game thinking I was behind only to find out the Separist was in play and I would of won if the round ended*). It has to be that this game combines a heavy engine-buildy game with a lot of direct player action (with incredibly little direct conflict!) and bluffing/deduction/cooperation. In order to play it well it doesn't require just mathematical strategy but also negotiation to a degree you just don't see. I like to think of it as building an engine and then driving that engine around with to negotiate both the board and the players.

Short game can definitely suffer from lucking in on objectives due to there being fairly little time to work out who might have what condition. And the game is remarkably insensitive. But drat, Archipelago makes the strangest, most fascinating games.

*Countblanc was the Separatist in that worst loss of mine. I can't believe I fell for it.

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

The boardgoons that enjoy some of the board gaming heavier fare might be interested in a podcast that's been going on for a year called Heavy Cardboard. It's not full on video stuff a la SUSD but if you want a fairly thought-out 'cast that actually substantively covers the games they feature with short but succinct rules synopses and much more time devoted on actual critique, I'd give them a shot! Major caveat being that they pretty much exclusively cover some really niche levels of heavy gaming (Agricola is "medium maybe medium heavy" iirc). To me they're aware enough to acknowledge that it's a niche taste and they don't come off as snobs nearly as much as, say, goons like me do :v:

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

Gutter Owl posted:

So Lorini (and anyone else who picked it up), now that you've had Food Chain Magnate for a little bit, how strongly do you recommend it?

Like, I get that it's a good game, but is it "$105 after shipping" good? It's going to be competing with Dungeon Lords/Petz, Argent, and Dominant Species for table time. (And about 40 other games, but let's just focus on the long-form diceless euro category.)

For how early it's been out, it's quickly becoming my favorite Splotter* design (by proxy one of my favorite euro-designs). Great Zimbabwe is quicker (with low player counts...), but Food Chain Magnate is so many good things.

Beyond all the clever mechanics, FCM's biggest accomplishment is despite the game having no random play elements (aside from turn order and board setup), none of the gameplay feels like it leads to the standard resource thing in euros of "optimal strategies." Between the different setup layouts and that everything the other players do greatly affects what you do; you're never going to go down a set obvious path at any point during the game. Closest I feel other games come to this achievement is in 18XX's in how non-random they are yet incredibly emergent via player choice; except Food Chain Magnate dodges the whole "group think because we know the board now" problem with modular setups.

Dominant Species is one of my all-time favorite games; I won't be surprised if I continue liking Food Chain Magnate more than DS even after FCM's honeymoon period is over.

Some caveats: paper money; the card pool is the biggest footprint I've seen a board game do with card piles; incredibly unforgiving even if it isn't as Roads & Boats / Antiquity "you built the wrong production building now you're out of the game" harsh. Oh and I'm incredibly full of hype for this one so I'm probably blinded to some other flaws or something (I guess how measuring distance in this game is weird to understand).

*other Splotter Spellen games to compare are Roads & Boats &cetera, Antiquity, Greed Incorporated, Indonesia, and The Great Zimbabwe

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

Lorini posted:

I have a question for you guys, which comes to mind after playing all these new Essen games.

Is a game that has shorter turns intrinsically better than a game that has longer turns?

Argent and Tzolkin are two games that come to mind that have shorter turns. You make a decision on what to do, you do it, next turn.

Food Chain Magnate on the other hand, has each player doing this each turn:

1. Recruit employees
2. Train employees
3. Initiate marketing campaigns
4. Get food and drinks (many times you have to figure this out, it's not a simple number in front of you)
5. Place new houses and gardens (this again involves figuring out the board)
6. Place or move restaurants

Ships also has a lot to do on your turn.

Now you can imagine that Food Chain Magnate has a LOT of downtime between your turn. Is this good/bad/indifferent/time to take out your phone or tablet??

I'd like to know your thoughts as I'm divided :).

Also to respond to this from forever ago, but I don't know if this was gleaning rules before play or your group being incredibly good at managing the peons employees; but the six steps listed aren't actions players always do.

The game more or less has you using employees (i.e. more or less playing a hand of cards similar to deck-building) that grant actions. The actions, no matter how the employees are played, go off in an exact order (the steps).

For example, first turn of the game your only card can just hire one employee (i.e. get a basic card from supply). Training, marketing, cooking, etc. all ignored.

The game doesn't divide actions into mini-turns like a worker-placement but neither does Dominion (even if Food Chain gets more complicated). I'd argue Through the Ages has longer player turns.

Of course downtime and analysis paralysis vary and such, but Food Chain Magnate is not much worse than other Heavy Euros™

EDIT: Also a bunch of people followed up the actual point of that post (short but lots of turns versus few longer turns) saying "micro-turns" are better; I'm not sure of that. A lot of players I game with tend to AP in a way that pretty much that they'll take, say, four times the normal amount of time on a small turn (i.e. placing a worker) but only twice as long on a full turn. It's like no matter how many things you do before the next players' turn, the analysis paralysis adds around a minute no matter what. When you have turns that shouldn't be taking more than 15-30 seconds, a worker-placement will take aeons longer compared to games with more blocked-in turns.

Or maybe it's just harder to tell a person to make their move if it hasn't been even a minute yet. Analysis Paralysis is dumb.

Trynant fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Nov 15, 2015

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

Countblanc posted:

I really want to play Dominant Species and FCM.

I'm going to make a point to not have life crises happen when going to conventions where I harass goons with these.

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

EvilChameleon posted:

Reputation for... being expensive? Why do companies do this? Don't they want people to play their games?

Splotter is basically two people that own a store in the Netherlands making games on the side. The games appealed to a niche of insane heavy euro players (me) so much that they kind of have what you could call a success with their side hobby (despite them not having anywhere near the financial success to actual print these games on a large scale or be picked up by bigger publishers). They can't afford to do large print runs and they have to make a profit off what they sell, so small print runs which by nature are more expensive per item printed.

Add to this that people love these games so much (or that there are enough scalpers to know people love them) and you have the answer.

Yes, Splotter Spellen wants people to enjoy their games. However, their games are pretty drat niche most of the time (no way in hell more than a quarter of the thread would enjoy Antiquity), but the people who play them love them. They even put that kind of disclaimer on their site.

quote:

....We are famous for making deep, complicated strategy games. The kind of games that can elicit reviews like this:

I simply cannot wrap my head around how this game is supposed to work. I played with a couple guys who think it's amazing, but I can't keep track of things, and every time I thought I had a strategy it would all come toppling down at the first hint of interaction with other players.

or, alternatively, this:

If you take the best games ever, maybe you'd have #1 Puerto Rico, #2 El Grande or that stupid Catan game. Well, Roads & Boats is game #0 - the game that can never be beaten.

We're just saying, these games are not for everyone....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

jng2058 posted:

But are there any war/strategy games that support three players well? If so, how do they avoid the usually inevitable end results of 1) One player is ignored while the other two fight, and that one player almost certainly wins, or 2) Two players team up against the third, and that player almost certainly loses?

Maria: War game that basically has one player play two sides against each other...sort of. It works!

Three Kingdoms Redux: along with mechanics that put players farther ahead in a weaker spot turn-order wise, there is a mechanic that makes 2nd and 3rd player in turn-order (determined by basically who did the most stuff last turn) automatically "ally" against the 1st player. No alliances otherwise.

Churchill: While it's a VP game, being ahead at the end of the game by a large enough margin will actually make you lose points and last place gain points. The game being about three nations trying to make peace but still have an advantage post-war, the rules give incentive to winning but not by too much.