Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Countblanc posted:

Outside of telling you to include all my favorite games and to remove every game I don't like, the only thing I think you should fix in the OP is adding a line to the Kemet write-up along the lines of "If you and your friends like Risk, try this." Also maybe namedrop Pandemic under either the Family section or the New To Gaming section because as little as I play it now it's still a very solid newbie game if everyone is learning together (and co-ops are really novel)

Pandemic, Blue Moon and Kingdoms are some of my go-to "new to complicated games" games. Kingdoms is simple, uses concepts that will be familiar to people who play "classic" style board games, plays fast and is really affordable for how good it is (20-25 dollars).

Blue Moon should at least be under the best Two Player games list now that it's back in print. I could right some words, but like, the game has been out for a decade and not much hasn't been said about it; it's the elegant combination of Euro sensibility and Ameritrash CCG mechanics.

The End posted:

Alien Frontiers and King's Forge also are great dice allocation games.

And Zombie Dice isn't good, but it's probably done more for "real" board games than any other game in the past year or so considering all my non-gamer relatives play it constantly and you can buy it in Cabellas.

I also might be the only person who like the LotR dicebuilding game, it just takes loving forever to play (like 1-2 hours, seriously) and the rulebook reads like it was written by a ten year old who is trying to recall the game from memory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
C&G was pretty fun but I seem to remember a very similar auctioning/elimination game that came out around the same time about being stranded on a island that was more fun and had better mechanics.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

CNN Sports Ticker posted:

My secret santa from work bought me mindtrap last year because he knew I was into board games. This is a dude I played Mage Knight with...

Here's the thing about Mindtrap: it has a cult following. I personally think it's really loving stupid and the puzzle fall into either "babbys first logic puzzle" or "poo poo no one would ever get because its arbitrary as hell" but some people love the gently caress outta that game. I had a friend who worked in the arm of Goodwill that processes out all the big money items and makes sure they end up on auction sites as opposed to store shelves and people would, no joke, buy complete copies of Mindtrap for amounts of money that were not "less than $5". This was the same Goodwill where I once bought a Heroscape set for $3, the original edition of Dungeon for $2 and a stack of unopened (still current edition) L5R decks for a dollar a piece, and people were spending 8-15 dollars on editions of Mindtrap.

It's not like Plague and Pestilence or other "very average games that have cult followings" either, where at least those had print runs in the hundreds and actually were decent games (P&P is a very fast and fun little game, gently caress Chessex for hogging the license).

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Argue posted:

I'm buying my bro a Christmas gift today; he really loves board games that involve intense resource management, like Powergrid, Ticket To Ride (I think?), and a bunch of other British-made board games. He has a whole mess of them and I can't even remember them all, but could I ask you guys to throw out a couple of gift suggestions? I'll probably need more than one suggestion in case he already has some of them, or in case I can't find them in a store (Amazon would take too long to deliver to my country). I checked out boardgamegeek but as far as I could tell it doesn't really have a way of filtering down to "resource management games".

Kingdoms is a really good game to have in your stable if you like resource management games because it plays really quick while also being pretty fun and deep (for what it is). It's a very math heavy game, not in the sense that the math is hard just that it's a game about math but if he likes the intense resource management stuff that shouldn't be an issue.