Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Poison Mushroom posted:

If I'm reading this right, you subtract from each die individually.

Yes that's the conclusion I drew after reading the (not very well laid out) rulebook. The mechanics are so 1980s it is physically painful to even read about them.

King Burgundy posted:

Yeah, none of that seemed at all unusual to me since it seemed to be replicating P&P style rules(or at least the type of games I played P&P when I was younger). It honestly felt like we were playing a straight up, for real, P&P game weighted towards combat/exploration/loot rather than actual role play and it was all happening without a DM. Ravenloft NEVER felt like that to me. It felt like a poor attempt at simulating that for people who would never play in a campaign.

I get the impression that you love the idea of a watered down poor man's DMless D&D but most people posting in this thread are more likely to be looking for a board game with actual good mechanics, and in that department any of the other games (descent, Ravenloft et al, ImpAss, etc) mentioned in this thread would be a better recommendation than a Flying Frog dicechucker experience generator.

Sadsack posted:

Okay. It looks like Descent 2e is the winner. Mage knight looks cool but it seems a bit more complex than we're ready for. I had a look at SoB but the old west setting really doesn't do it for me. I would love to get Imperial Assault, but my house can only hold so much Star Wars crap.

Just be prepared if you play the campaign mode that one side will start winning and never ever stop. Also be aware that the overlord doesn't win by actually fighting the heroes, but instead by blocking the path to the objective with big monsters and running down the clock. ImpAss honestly seems like a straight up better game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

My early gaming days had a lot of bad games, lots of Betrayal At House On The Hill and Fluxx. I tried Puerto Rico once but it was too dry for me. I think Galaxy Trucker was the game that really blew my mind open. Before that I at least had the common sense to, upon playing Arkham Horror, Munchkin, and Robo Rally for the first time to think to myself "This is trash, why are we playing this?"

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Mister Sinewave posted:

Can someone tell me a little about how Alien Frontiers plays? Like for example where does it fall on scales of cut-throat competition on one side, to multiplayer solitaire on the other? Does it feel like barely keeping your head above water?

In terms of the worker placement I think it feels pretty standard, there's a reasonable amount of "gently caress you I needed to use that space". The area control element is a bit... I dunno what word I'm looking for, but there's not that many colonies going out, it feels like you rarely have an incentive to directly compete with someone over a territory, often it's better to spread out and take control of one that hasn't been taken yet, and once the board starts to fill up (which is pretty late in the game) you're usually better off trying to get the techs that move or switch colonies around so you can move someone elses colony to simultaneously gain majority in a territory and cause a territory you don't care about to be contested between two other players rather than straight up trying to hold on to something by putting down colonies. It's not necessarily a bad dynamic, but it doesn't really feel like there's any viability to going "I want to control this territory and hold it".

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Fungah! posted:

Oh god I remember that game. A friend of mine bought it and suckered us into playing it , then we all got stupid and played it again a week later. It was such a colossal piece of poo poo and it took like six hours to play, it was like arkham horror on steroids or something

But yeah, I basically started with Munchkin and Fluxx and all that dumb poo poo. Worst purchase I can remember making was a copy of Zombies!!! I'd played it with some friends in a diner and had fun, then I played it again and realized that it was a boring dicefest that took way too long (but it had zombies in it!!) I think I started playing Pandemic on BSW after that, then read about some dudes in YCS playing dominion and gave it a shot, and now here we are

I remember busting open my copy of Zombies!!!, reading the rules, quickly putting it back in the box and gifting it to my brother.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Mister Sinewave posted:

Thanks for the talk about Alien Frontiers, that really paints a good picture. For some reason I just couldn't really get my head around what to expect from the game and whether to pick it up and try it out. I remember looking at it once and going "Nah", then recently looked at it again and couldn't remember why I had felt that way but at the same time couldn't really get any sort of sense of whether I'd dig anything in it or not.

The comments about dice rolling & processing/planning at the start of your turn, yeah I hear you on those.

For what it's worth it's got an iPad app, so there's a cheap way to try it out without spending a bunch of money and gathering up someone to play with. My group has enjoyed it, but the criticisms leveled at it are definitely sound.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Dreadball? That kickstarter-pandering miniatures game that ~mysteriously~ fell off the face of the planet never to get any mention in any kind of board game media again after the kickstarter ended?

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Nah, Blood Bowl is still part of the collective consciousness. Completely undeserved of course, but Games Workshop trash like Space Hulk and Heroquest has a way of remaining popular to the point where people go apeshit whenever there's mention of a reprint. I don't doubt Dreadball is better than Blood Bowl (it would be difficult not to be) but I have a hard time believing it's actually good by our standards considering it didn't make nay kind of significant splash, even in a community that has so many nerds that are thirsting for anything conceptually similar to Blood Bowl. But y'know that's what happens with these kickstarter "look at our miniatures" games, none of them have any staying power.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Blood Bowl is a part of the collective consciousness because it is 30 years old, was the very first "fantasy world football" game, was a large-box title on every game store's shelf in the 1980s and 90s and was cross-promoted by GW in White Dwarf magazine for years. Do you think it's fair to compare a 2-year old Kickstarted game to that? Anything would come up short.

No, but I do think it's fair to say that Dreadball has failed to make any kind of impact outside of its niche. I can't remember the last time anyone even mentioned it in this thread, or on any board game news site, other than Jedit just now. I'm sure it's passable if you absolutely have to play a fantasy world football game, but if it were actually a GOOD game on its own merits, it would have had a broader impact, kickstarter or not.

Scyther fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jan 27, 2015

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Ok, let's reset: in response to DreadBall's mention as "a better version of Blood Bowl" you said "it vanished" as though that were evidence that it were a bad game. You further followed it up with "(the game is) actually (not) good by our standards considering it didn't make any kind of significant splash" and my argument is "compared to Blood Bowl, nothing football makes a significant splash". Now we've somehow switched to arguing against a point I didn't make: that DreadBall made a significant impact on the board gaming hobby. Let me be clear: it didn't. What we can infer about the game from that: absolutely nothing, because the "wants to play football as a board game" crowd is tiny, tiny, tiny, and Blood Bowl sucks up most of the oxygen from that crowd. It's the same reason that Warhammer is still around even though there's been a dozen skirmish games with way better rules released over the years. Warhammer got there first. Blood Bowl got there first.

As far as "good games by our standards" go, this thread just steered a guy looking for a two-player dungeon crawler into Descent 2e, which is absolutely the riskier, more expensive, weaker choice. That alone should tell you that, while this thread is full of smart people who want to play interesting, mechanically sound games, it doesn't possess total knowledge and is able to fall for marketing tricks and trends same as any other group of people. Before you think that I'm sneering down my nose at anyone, I include myself in that group. I've been hoodwinked by poo poo and overlooked great games plenty of times over the years. So will this thread.

I still think the reason it didn't make a splash isn't the genre, considering it made 700k on kickstarter, it's that it's yet another uninspired generic kickstarter miniature game with ameritrash rules and lots of dice chucking. I can count on one hand the number of kickstarter games that should have made it into wide distribution and general awareness but didn't. Conversely there's plenty of kickstarter games that made it big undeservedly, but that's a different matter (the cream might rise to the top, but so do the turds). It might well be an improvement over Blood Bowl but that's just damning with faint praise. You'll also notice I specifically recommended against Descent and made a point of pointing out its (well known) flaws.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Mind listing a few? In case it's not obvious, I've been out of the scene for over a year.

:ssh: I can count to zero on one hand.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

It's not that Lords of Waterdeep is terrible, it's just painfully cookie-cutter in terms of design, has some big balance issues, and the designer thought the worker placement genre was missing "take that" elements in the form of the mandatory quests (hint: this was not something that was missing)

I can imagine someone enjoying it as a sort of introduction to worker placement or as a gateway game for your D&D group, but compared to any of the other big worker placement games theres really no contest.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

What's the balance issues of LoW? I mainly ask for the sake of leveraging broken poo poo to my advantage. I have a group whose rather fond of the game and I also like it on account of it being about the only worker placement game we collectively own.

It's not something you can easily leverage, some lords are just blatantly poo poo compared to others, that sort of thing.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

I know I'm late to the party, but I see Starlit Citadel's content as perfectly pleasant in-depth video versions of the descriptive blurbs you would see on the product page of website that sells board games. It has information value, sure, but at the end of the day, their goal is to make you buy something.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Broken Loose posted:

Hey, wasn't there a goon-made real-time cooperative game supposed to be coming out this year?

Oh, right!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tonyshine/final-attack-cooperative-real-time-super-robot-boa

Final Attack! is a team battle/survival game. Players pilot component machines of a combining anime Super Robot locked in combat against a gigantic, shape-shifting monster of the week.

The battle takes place over roughly 15-25 minutes. Together, you must fight, combine, survive, and use the Final Attack to win. If you succeed, the Earth is saved for now. If you fail, humanity will be crushed under the onslaught of an unknowable alien menace.

Backed, shared on facebook, retweeted to all six of my followers. Godspeed goon.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

It's not too late to announce Cthulhu and Zombie robeasts and make millions of dollars.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Time to rename this thread to Broken Loose's Kickstarter HQ and PR station.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

j8910 posted:

Broken Loose,

Your kickstarter lists the delivery date for Final Attack as July 2015. Is that correct? How are you getting the board printed out in five months?

I'm going to wager a guess that it has to do with printing domestically rather than overseas.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Mister Sinewave posted:

Anyone played Heroes Wanted? I'd like to know if it works as a pure co-op or not.

I haven't played it but based on videos, I don't think it would. Most of the secondary objectives seem to be there for the sake of giving you ways of scoring more points than other people, and there are mechanics for directly attacking other players. The whole game seems to be balanced around the idea of trying to get the most points, taking potshots at the other players if it serves your purpose, and doing stuff like intentionally holding off on finishing off the antagonist so you can score some more points first. It doesn't look insanely cutthroat or anything, but I don't think trying to play it as a pure co-op would be satisfying.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Rivensteel posted:

I think the features we're looking for are scales well to 2 players + plays in 60-90 minutes or less + fewer fiddly bits to set up/track +/- cooperative.

Have you considered Final Attack? :haw:

Alternately, Escape: Curse Of The Temple might be worth a look. Unfortunately most of my go-to co-op games to play with my wife (D&D Adventure Game Series, Legendary) are on the fiddlier side to set up, although none of them are anywhere near as fiddly to play as Sentinels.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

double nine posted:

I need advice for a board game to give to my brother and his girlfriend. Problem is, he really likes outsmarting people, but she hates being outsmarted (and as such hates games that revolve around misdirection like Resistance or Werewolf). Any ideas? I'm considering Formula D but could use more suggestions.

Sounds like you what they really need is a third player for them to gang up on in a one-versus-many game.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

If I want to sit down and play an experience generator game where everything is bullshit and the points don't matter, I'd rather play Tales Of The Arabian Nights than Dead Of Winter due to infinitely more interesting theme, guaranteed text encounters every turn, and the sheer volume of different text encounters. I mean, yeah, it's still a bad game, but at least it doesn't half-assedly pretend it's a legitimate game with player agency and solid mechanisms and systems.

Incidentally here's a thing I made a while ago about Dead Of Winter:

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Tiran Dirth posted:

This would be Tragedy Looper.
Very good game, though it can suffer from the same issue as any co-op game, where one dominant personality decides what happens. [...]

It can't very well suffer from that once you play with restricted communication, as you should. Well, I suppose it can, but then the protagonists will lose because they try to strictly follow one player's plan laid between loops, rather than adapting to what the mastermind is doing during the loop.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

So dexterity games came up a while back and someone mentioned Cube Quest which I'd never heard of, but it was twenty bucks on Amazon and goofy looking so I picked it up and I've been playing a game or two a night with my wife for the past week.

It's surprisingly cool. [...]

Glad you enjoyed it, for me it fell completely flat. Probably because I'm used to playing disc flicking dexterity games like Catacombs where you have a much higher degree of precision. In Cube Quest you're flicking big chunky blocks, which are much less predictable, because they'll roll and tumble.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Campbell posted:

Suburbia - [...] In a two player game, it might not be as fun as 4 player since properties can't won't be getting sniped before your turn comes back around.

I actually find Suburbia WAY better with two players. In a 4 player game you can't plan much because the market will be radically different from one of your turns to the next. In a 2-player game a key tile can still get sniped or turned into a lake, but unlike a 4-player game it's probably not going to happen turn after turn, leaving you with hardly any space to plan ahead.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Jamesman posted:

I like dungeon crawl-type board games. Are there any good recommendations?

Specific things I like;

-Games where one player takes the "dungeon master" role and is actively controlling the monsters.
-Games where the board is gradually revealed through exploration instead of laid out at the start.
-Games with actual game pieces that make the board feel busy and like stuff is actually happening. Cardboard tiles representing monsters and set pieces depress me.

I guess what I'm saying is I want to be 10 years old again and I want another HeroQuest.

If you can live without the adversary player controlling the monsters, the D&D Adventure Games (Castle Ravenloft, Wrath Of Ashardalon, Legend of Drizzt, and the soon-to-be-released Temple Of Elemental Evil) are the most mechanically sound dungeon crawl themed games I've played (apart from Catacombs but that sounds too different from what you're looking for).

If not maybe you should consider the possibility that you don't actually want a board game, but rather you want a big pile of expensive miniatures, expensive 3d dungeon terrain, and a RPG ruleset (4E D&D is king as far as tactical combat goes).

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Jamesman posted:

Thank you everyone for your responses and recommendations. Unfortunately, none of them really look like they offer up the experience I am looking for. It's entirely possible I will enjoy some of the games suggested (I had looked into the D&D games before), but I was specifically looking for a game that met the criteria, and it seems like no such game exists.

With one exception.

So now I guess I wait for this game to get a retail release and see if it still had everything in the box that it did when it was being crowdfunded. Or maybe I can come over and play your copy when you get it? Please? :(

Unless I'm missing something obvious on the kickstarter page, Dungeon Saga also has the map built before the scenario starts. And y'know it looks like yet another forgettable kickstarter game that relies on spectacle and miniatures to sell.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Gift them to a friend (or enemy if it's a bad game) and write it off as a loss.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Rutibex posted:

For :toxx: purposes here is my proof of payment for Huntsekkers excellent pyrotechnics show. My hope is that Huntsekker will put it towards the purchase of a better game than Munchkin also drat the Canada/US exchange rate is a real bitch right now

The tab with a dice tower top ten video is a nice touch.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Frijolero posted:

Wowowow thanks for all the advice and girlfriend-friendly game recommendations!

A lot of people think I should just get Pandemic, then there's Ticket to Ride (which I've never played and looks fun), then there's Takenoko (which I have played on BGA). I also forgot to mention that she was interested in Tokaido.

I will look into Flash Point and Sushi Go as I know next to nothing about them. I have never played Galaxy Trucker but it looks too messy for her to get into. Forbidden Desert comes highly recommended, but it looked quite boring on TableTop (I'm also Texan and not too attracted to dust and heat).

This was my worst fear! It took a lot of cajoling to get the first two games going. But at least she's shown a bit of interest and has admitted to liking ParkerHasbros games.

FWIW Tabletop got the rules to Forbidden Desert wrong and made the game trivially easy for themselves. Don't rely on them to give you a decent idea of how a game plays, because they'll go as far as to play with asinine house rules. About the only use of Tabletop is to get non-gamer nerds and quasi-normies interested in board games, then hit a wall of frustration as they end up wanting to just play lovely games like Munchkin, Last Night On Earth, and Fortune & Glory forever because it's Just Fun and they saw it on Tabletop.

Scyther fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Mar 2, 2015

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Kai Tave posted:

Summoner Wars questions:

1). How does the 4 player version hold up compared to the 2 player? Just as fun? Any hidden snags or pitfalls to be aware of?

2). How do you accurately measure out effects that say they work "within X clear spaces?" Like obviously if you're trying to use it against something directly across from you in a straight line it's self-explanatory, but since measuring this kind of thing works like movement does, it can include chess-style "two forward and one left/right" movement as well, yeah? So how does that work if I want to target someone that's behind a wall if I have enough range to knight-move over to them? This is mostly relevant to the Benders whose summoner has an ability that functions within "3 clear spaces" and I'd like to know what is and isn't a valid way to measure that before I hit the table with him again.

1) I've never played with 4, sorry.

2) Here's the Benders' summoner, Tacullu:

Note that it says "within 3 clear straight line spaces of Tacullu". So no going two forward and one to the side (that's not a straight line), and no going through walls or other cards either (because those are not clear).

Note that a lot of effects just state "Within X spaces", which WOULD let you go through cards and around corners (no diagonals, obviously, unless otherwise stated on the card). As an example, here's one of the Benders' champions, Sorgwen:

I don't know of any cards that require "clear" spaces without also requiring a straight line.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

OmegaGoo posted:

I just bought Mage Wars.

I regret nothing.

I wish I could say I expect to eventually get Mage Wars to the table, but realistically there's no chance in hell. It's way too obtuse with all the keywords on the cards, and y'know giving new players an entire book's worth of spells to figure out rather than one handful.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Dominion is bloated. Now I've heard everything.

Rutibex posted:

:psyduck: I think you might have been driven mad by playing to much Thunderstone.

So you're saying he's played it once? :mmmhmm:

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Dominion is too bloated with mechanical depth (actions as a resource? :barf:), and at the same time it's too basic. It's lacking basic features that we've now come to expect from deckbuilders:

- It doesn't have enough different resources. I'd recommend Donald X in addition to money, also adds resources like "swords", "diamonds" and "fairy dust". We gamers like a good challenge, and there's nothing more challenging than not drawing enough of any one resource to buy anything.
- Random rotating markets. I think it goes without saying that more randomness is better, as it gives the less-skilled player a chance to randomly win, and it also helps with those few hands where you draw a lot of the same resource (broken!) by filling the market with crap that needs a different resource. As a stopgap fix for Dominion, instead of using a random or cherrypicked selection of piles, I suggest taking all the cards in the box, shuffling them together into one huge deck, and dealing out six or seven of them at a time (any more than that would give too many options and cause analysis paralysis) in a market row. It's not perfect (see previous point about too few different resources) but it's a big improvement over staring at 10 piles of cards like a deer in headlights.
- Bad theme. It should instead have a good theme like D&D or Warhammer 40k, or preferably Cthulhu Zombies. This improvement alone would put the fun factor through the roof.
- Lack of combos. I looked through all the cards and there were no combos printed on them. What's the point of playing a card game if the cards don't combo off each other? Donald X needs to get off his rear end and do a new version where the Smithy gives you +3 swords if you play a Village before it. Until then Dominion will be a game for only the most casual of scrublords.
- No interaction. This is simple to fix, just add a HP resource and allow the players to attack each other with certain cards. When you run out of HP you're eliminated. This ups the stakes and makes the game more exciting for everyone.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Sistergodiva posted:

Also, I'm still missing 1 card from Legendary Encounters: An Alien Deck Building Game could anyone check theirs and give me the text for the first objective card for the last move? the card is called breakout, would be really nice. Making a proxy for it.

Objective: Kill three Xenomorph Clones.

Event: They've Escaped
If there are any Enemies in the Complex, move them to the Combat Zone. Add a Hive card to The Complex.
(Add the Hive card even if there were no enemies in The Complex)

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Sistergodiva posted:

Thanks a lot!

What do you think about the game?

I've only played it twice, with 2 players, the first movie only. We gave ourselves a extra turn before we started moving the hive the second time we played and won by knives edge. I really like it so far, can't wait to play it with more players.

My schedule's been hectic so I've only been able to play the first movie once with 2 players, but we enjoyed it a lot. We made some rules mistakes to our benefit and won easily, but so it goes with first games.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Dominion is not only incredibly elegant, it also provides a significantly deeper experience than Thunderstone and the rest of the "me-too!" deckbuilders that followed so quickly after Dominion, because the "added layers" are marshmallow fluff with no real substance. Most of them are comparatively poorly playtested, which leads to poor balance and degenerate strategies. Combine that with all the bullshit randomness the designers insist on throwing in and the overall result is less actual depth of play compared to Dominion.

:colbert:

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

JoshTheStampede posted:

Ok so the answer is no, you do not realize how condescending it sounds, glad to clear that up.

You're the same guy who claimed Dominion feels like a half-developed tech demo, and then when people prompted you for reasons to support that statement, all you could do was say "well that's how it feels."

Once again, nobody cares if you don't like Dominion. That's fine, play something else, have a grand old time. If you're going to put up paper-thin arguments or nonsensical claims to support your personal dislike of a game, you best believe someone is going to call you out, especially if it's a popular game.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

silvergoose posted:

Dead of uhhhhhh

Dead of Winter wasn't a kickstarter game, it was just a good old-fashioned over-hyped Bad Game.

That being said, for the love of Vlaada, don't back Ghostbusters. Here's your flashing red warning lights:
- Licensed game(!)
- Miniatures (!!)
- Cryptozoic games (!!!)

Of course the campaign just ended so you've made up your mind already.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Taste the Rainbugh posted:

I like playing Zombies!!! :shrug:

The D&D monster at the end is just to make winning a little harder the getting to the helipad

Well in that case forget anything anyone ever warned you about here, back every kickstarter, you're clearly the target audience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Bubble-T posted:

I saw Bunny Bunny Moose Moose in the store yesterday. I was so tempted.

Bunny Bunny Moose Moose is the only Vlaada game I've ever been disappointed by, I'm just not really sure who the target audience is. I've tried it with casuals but they can't seem to grok it (possibly due to the unusual game structure), and I've tried it with more hardcore gamers and it was fine I guess but everyone would much rather play something like Resistance or One Night Werewolf for a lighter game. At the end of the day I just don't find basically looking at a changing lineup of cards and repeatedly recalculating what would be the highest scoring pose as interesting as the game looked on paper.