Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Yo, Tekopo, in your second paragraph, first sentence, you say "discuss in this game"

Good OP, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

deadly_pudding posted:

Real talk about Betrayal at House on the Hill:

It is a given that the game is completely unbalanced and busted, with often not totally clear rules in its scenarios, so my favorite way to play is by completely busting the game over my knee.

House rule: Double Traitors.
After the Haunt begins, reset the number of Omens that you roll against to zero (existing omens still remain in play.) Continue making Haunt rolls as new Omens are revealed, adding to the new total. It is now possible to start a second scenario, with an additional traitor or having the current traitor become a majestic Double Traitor. At this point it is unlikely that anybody will survive long enough to reveal a third traitor.

Well, since this can result in "Dracula vs. The Mummy" or "Werewolf vs. Frankenstein" scenarios, it feels like a natural evolution of the base game.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Speaking of which, what's the thread's opinion on "Legacy" games? I followed a LP of Risk Legacy (that didn't get through all the content, as far as I remember), and found it very cool. Me and my gaming group absolutely love Pandemic, and I was thinking that maybe I should get Pandemic: Legacy next year. Will I be a horrible person who supports bad games if I do so? :ohdear:

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Mister Sinewave posted:

She also loves Pandemic because it's basically a puzzle game and that is right up her alley and oh poo poo now I've done it

Ok, I'll bite. What's wrong with Pandemic?

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Ah, yeah, quarterbacking is definitely an issue. My group was lucky because we started playing the game together and no one is really in a better position that the rest in terms of skill, so it just plays out as the designer intended, most of the time.

Also, the good deck running out means you are out of funding :ssh:

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

It seems to me that the only reason to play Mage Knight solo is to study the different decks and buyable cards. It's just too much investment for the kind of solo experience that you can get from some video game (Heroes of of Might and Magic, Endless Legend, digital versions of M:tG etc). It's true though that, barring M:tG, none of these games can offer the kind of puzzle of trying to get the right numbers with your lovely hand to kill that dragon you just flipped, but it's still much better when you have other people yelling at you to just finish your turn already.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

silvergoose posted:

Uhhhh gently caress that? The only reason? Maybe someone actually likes Mage Knight and wants to play it instead of HoMM? Or, for that matter, one can want to play two different games that are in the same genre because they're different?

Why would digital versions of Magic be even remotely similar?

Basically, I disagree with the premise of this post.

Maybe I should have said "The only reason *I* would play solo MG" instead? I totally get why these are different games to people who have played all of them, but assuming that the person asking has no idea about MG's gameplay and is asking because he is interested in some solo kill-dudes-and-level-up experience (I could be wrong), I offered a different perspective.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Yeah, MG co-op is awesome, and I think that I am grabbing the expansion next time it shows up in some local store.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

bobvonunheil posted:

The game itself may be good (I haven't played it), but it sure as hell doesn't pass the 'Would I feel comfortable playing this in public' test.

See: The game's base currency cards.

Tendales posted:

There's actually an officially licensed Touhou port of Dominion. At least when it came out, it was the only licensed reskin of Dominion, and also the only licensed boardgame of Touhou. No one knows exactly why it exists.

This is what happens when your game divorces mechanics from theme. Please design responsibly.

e: Assault on Doomrock looks awesome, please tell me what the catch is and why I shouldn't buy it. PS. I already own Mage Knight, how does it compare to that?

Rexides fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Jan 7, 2015

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

echoMateria posted:

Both has a very long play time though.

BGG lists both of them as "150 minutes", which for Mage Knight actually meant ~5 hours for my group. Is the long play time a result from analysis paralysis, or due to a lot of things having to happen before the game is over?

I also read that AoD is in the same league as Ghost Stories in terms of difficulty, and would hate to spend a few hours just to lose over and over again (you lose faster in GS at least). On the other hand, the staged nature of the game (defeat three encounters) should give you a sense of accomplishment even if you didn't make it to the end, is that correct?

e:

Lorini posted:

I have had an epiphany!!! (I know you guys can't wait to hear this)

Since I'm committed to playing games being the journey and the winning taking a significant back seat to that I am now OK with hidden goals.

That is all.

:woop:

Maybe I also shouldn't worry about losing in AoD then!

Rexides fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jan 7, 2015

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

I never thought I would be so excited for a game about trains, but I played Ticket to Ride with 5 players yesterday (europe board) and it was a blast!

By the way, no other comments about Assault on Doomrock? My FLGS has one piece left and I seriously consider buying it today.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Getting casual people interested in any hobby is something that requires actual interaction, which you can't do with a bunch of text on the Internet. These OPs are written with the assumption that people are going to read through them because they have already passed that first hurdle for some reason, and want to know more. That's the best you can do with this format.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Funso Banjo posted:

Contrast that with Ticket To Ride, which I know people recommended you a page or two ago as a gateway game. People often think "Pfft, trains, really?" but once new gamers sit down to it, their game pieces aren't wooden pawns or card tokens sat on a plastic stand, instead they get to play with awesome little train pieces, which have little wheels and windows and stuff! New people often say "Choo Choo" as they lay them down.

The best thing about Ticket to Ride is just dropping your pieces on the board roughly in a sort of straight line, some of them laying on their sides, and watching the rest of the players rush in to "fix" them :allears:

Anyway, got Assault on Doomrock yesterday (along with Space Alert), and decided to play a bit of solo to get the hang of the rules before I break it out on my group. My first impression was bad because it comes with a billion cards and tokens, and other than the dice bag there are absolutely no other containers in the box, but whatever. Not any plastic toys either, but that's ok and you can definitely substitute the player tokens with figurines from other games if you'd like.

The game has two different alternating phases, the adventuring phase and the battle phase. The adventuring phase is sort of like the first phase in Betrayal, that serves mostly as a random character generator before the battle. You have some limited resources that will allow you to take certain risks that might give you useful rewards. The catch here though is that you take those risks and rewards as a team. As I said I played it solo, so I don't know how well that will work in a real game. The good thing is that, unlike Betrayal where you just open new cards and hope for something good, in this game you can actually make informed decisions depending on the options you are given, and can even mitigate risks. After some time (time is a resource) has passed, you might have ended up with some items or even a new level, and also with less HP and some disadvantages. That's when battle starts.

The battle phase is the real game in my opinion. It feels tactical without requiring a board, which is a huge plus for me. You are either next to someone, or you aren't, it's that simple but also surprisingly deep since that can limit or expand your options. The other thing I liked is that you can't always use your entire selection of abilities, so you don't end up doing the same thing over and over. Unlike, say, Descent where you choose your ability and then roll some dice to see if you actually managed to do anything that turn, you first roll your dice and the outcome tells you what you will be able to do that turn. And since you are allowed rerolls and have to choose how to assign the dice, it has a great sense of agency as well. I prefer it much better than the usual "decide on action -> see if it actually happens" model and I'd like to see something like that for actual RPGs.

Unlike Betrayal though, these two phases alternate, for a total of six phases for a game (three adventuring and three battle phases). This is great because even if you don't manage to kill the final boss, you can still have one or two solid achievements for that playthrough (unlike, say, in Ghost Stories or Pandemic where the result of the game is either Win or Loss).

I think that this game will be my first suggestion when someone says that they want "something like D&D, but a board game". Combat is far, far less swingy than Descent, and while it's not the deterministic puzzle of Mage Knight, it still very strategic (and also you fight with your friends than by yourself). It plays without a DM/Overlord, and the adventuring phase is fun and really reminded me of an overarching D&D campaign.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

For our final game yesterday we decided to unwrap my brand new copy of Space Alert. We tried reading through the intro book, and then played Ticket to Ride :cool:

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

In their defence, it was getting late and while we all agreed that all the bits and pieces looked cool, we thought we should devote a different day for that one.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

you dweebs can't handle my ironiposting :cool:

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

fozzy fosbourne posted:

I don't suppose anyone has played a majority of the following and could compare them to games like Mage Knight (good but long and fiddly) and Arkham Horror (less good and even more long and fiddly:

Assault on Doomrock

Haven't played Arkham Horror, but I can compare it to MK at least.

Preparation time is much, much shorter with AoD, you just shuffle a few decks, pick some cards to construct your characters and the adventure, and you are basically done. Unlike MK, AoD is fully co-op. In fact it's so co-op, that quarterbacking can be a huge problem. The adventuring phase especially is played with the whole group acting as one "character", which wasn't a problem when I played it with just me and my brother, but I can see how it can become problematic when you want to have equal input from 4 players. In the battle phase everyone gets to do his own thing, and the better you can cooperate as a group the higher your chances to survive. Speaking of combat, it's definitely not the efficiency puzzle of MK, but it's definitely tactical without taking up a lot of space on the table, and most importantly it lets people fight the monsters together, which is a huge plus for me! There are no cool little plastic dragonman figurines though.

Difficulty is really higher than MG, and not because it's a harder puzzle, but because the numbers just aren't on the player's favor. I think next time we play it we will houserule more time units during adventuring.

Oh, and one last word about the game's "humor". See, "Assault on Doomrock" is kinda sorta supposed to be a "zanny" take on the adventuring genre. It has a bunch of normal monsters, and then also has an encounter where you fight exploding tomatoes, and about one fifth of the items are named "X of Doom", because it's in the title, you see? Anyway, it falls completely flat and it's better if you ignore it. The random character generator got a couple chuckles out of us though, so I guess it's ok?

All in all, if you are looking for a co-op in general there are better games out there, and if you want a primarily well designed game with a fantasy theme I would first suggest Mage Knight, but if you especially want Dungeons and Dragons in board game form, I will definitely suggest this.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Dre2Dee2 posted:

when its their turn they are like "WHA HUH? Oh ok... what happened?"

This is me when we play Ticket to Ride. It's not that I am not paying attention to what's happening, but for some reason if the last player drew cards instead of building my brain refuses to register that his turn is over and I am just waiting for him to put down some plastic wagons.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

All this talk about B&M stores vs. Internet shopping is funny to me, because for me it's the complete opposite. I am normally the kind of insufferable nerd who thinks that walking into a physical store is terribly outdated, but since there is no Swedish Amazon website and I have to pay for international shipping, it's actually cheaper and more convenient for me to just go to the FLGS and pick what I want.

If they have it in stock :negative:

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

:monocle: This changes everything!

e: Or at least changes the fact that I am hosed if webhallen/Dragon's Lair doesn't carry what I want, because price-wise it's the same+shipping. Still better than shipping from abroad, though.

Rexides fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Jan 15, 2015

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

When my mother asked me once how I spent my time abroad, among the things I mentioned was board games, and she asked "Oh, like those games Sheldon plays?"

Yes, mother, exactly like those :smith:

e: Just to make it clear to any goons who might want to rag on me for expecting my mother to know how fun and cool board games are, the smith icon is because she probably thinks that I am a huge autistic nerd. Also unfunny.

Rexides fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jan 16, 2015

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Played the intro mission of SPACE ALERT with my group, and it was a huge hit! One of the onlookers though commented that "the game was very, very nerdy, and not, you know, the good kind of nerdy, it was the bad one."

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

I'm having trouble parsing what that's even supposed to mean.

I guess "not the nerdy stuff that's popular enough to be relatable to non-nerds through cultural osmosis or Hollywood backing, like X-Men or Lord of the Rings". At least that's the impression I got.

e: speaking of space alert, I would definitely buy this edition if it ever came out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIan7z-EWcQ

Rexides fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jan 17, 2015

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Gort posted:

Yeah, that's what I reckon too. Nerdy has two sides - the "smart" side and the "antisocial" side. "Good nerdy" has more of the former than the latter.

In that case I'd put SPACE ALERT on the "Good" side of nerdy, you need to be smart and also able to communicate with others to beat it.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Bubble-T posted:

Star Realms is garbage as a filler, might as well flip a coin. You could best-of-3 but why not play a good game in that time?

Would Star Realms work if the trade offering was not random? I have only played with the app, and that was my main issue.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Mister Sinewave posted:

I have been playing some Legends of Andor lately, and let me tell you I'm quite pleased so far. It's a 2-4 player co-op and I'm going to say nice things about it :sun:

How does fighting the monsters work in that game? I found that most of these games belong in the DnD school of "Select your action and then roll your dice to see if you lost your turn or not" which I really hate. Also, is combat a lonely affair like in Mage Knight, or can two or more players gang up on the same threat?

(yes, I know you can assault a city with others on MG, but you are just splitting the risk)

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Welcome to the Hivemind.

Some people from work invited me to play BSG next week. As I have just finished the first season of the show, can you tell me if the base game or any expansions spoil anything that happens later?

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Poison Mushroom posted:

Waiting for some more input before I update to 1.02.

I have only read the rules, but from the looks of it I see no reason why combat needs more than one die roll to resolve and there aren't any decision points to be made between turns. Also, I can't see any reason you shouldn't use abilities and consumable items that affect combat as soon as they are available. Maybe I am missing some intricacies that only become apparent when you play it, but that's my initial feedback.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Mage Knight is a great game, but it's not a crawler. I bought it specifically because it was advertised as one and was disappointed (but loved it anyway because it's a great game). The static enemies just don't do it for me, and the fact that you have to fight them alone takes out a lot of the potential fun of a dungeon crawler.

The various progression mechanisms it has are great though, so if what you say you want is a "dungeon crawler" but what you actually want is to build a more efficient murder-engine than the guy sitting next to you then definitely get Mage Knight.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

thespaceinvader posted:

Descent 2e or Mage Knight if unlike the guy from a couple of pages back you can get over Mage Knight's monsters not moving. Mage Knight is by far a better game.

I have staticphobia :(

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

For me Star Wars is just these three movies I liked as a kid because they had lazers and lazer swords and space wizards, is it worth it to pay the Star Wars IP premium in order to get a good dungeon crawler, or should I just wait for Descent 3e instead?

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

My and a a friend of mine are going for a three-day hiking trip soon. In-between gawking at the majesty of mother nature, we would like to have some kind of game to play because we are huge nerds. Do you have any suggestions for a game where:

• It can be tightly packed (even if the original box is bighuge)
  • Doesn't weight that much
  • Good for two players (doesn't matter if co-op or competitive)
  • Does not require large flat surfaces.
  • Lasts less than half an hour
  • It's not "Just bring a deck of playing cards you nerds"

Mechanically we are into all kinds of things. I'd prefer good games, but given all the other restrictions I can't be too picky, as long as it's not really bad (haven't been in the thread for a while, are we allowed to diss Munchkin?). I was thinking that it would be a good opportunity to buy Dominion, but I am kinda worried about the surface required to put all the decks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Hive and Hanabi seem exactly what I needed, thanks!