Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Infinitum posted:

Ah yes Mars.

The Yellow Planet.

Bit late but Fryxelius was absolutely in the comments :actually:ing this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Freakie posted:

Weight: 4.34 / 5 :stare:

On another note, I finally had the chance to play Catan (after years of hearing good things about it by mostly casual players) and I was thoroughly disappointed in just *how* much luck was in it.

It's a shorter Monopoly.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Infinitum posted:

Yeah this is why I'm having a bit of a head scratcher, cause surely the Mass Production Copy is the final quality check needed before everything is signed off on.

Stronghold is bad and from what I've gathered, everything about this edition is pretty much a joke.

The 3d tiles are ugly and the wrong color. Not all of them fit in the storage provided without disassembling them every time. The provided card sleeves are sometimes too big for the included boxes (but other card sleeves are not). The box does not provide sensible storage for a bunch of things (to the point where people have designed inserts for the insert), but it has a gigantic spot for the first player miniature that was an optional buy.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

IKEA has more "upmarket" looking shelves like HEMNES, at least around here:

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

dishwasherlove posted:

Seek out a local carpenter to knock together some wood in the configuration you need. Do some measurements and ask for a quote. It's not a cheap as Ikea but should be cheaper than a premade nice piece of furniture with the added benefit of being deep enough which most bookcases aren't.

Saw the poker chips, wondered how far I'd have to scroll for 18XX (not very).

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

homullus posted:

As a Hemnes-haver and Kallax-haver, I feel the Kallax is plainly superior. I haven't been able to space the Hemnes shelves as efficiently (you choose the spacing from preset holes). Kallax also has inserts, whereby you can turn one of the squares into a set of three little drawers great for generic tokens, extra dice, blank paper, X-Wing ships, whatever.

I actually chose neither for games but the store I got mine from is local only.

I also have the long, long discontinued IKEA thing that I believe eventually evolved into Kallax?

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

There are also Betrayal Legacy, and the deliberately fully reversible expansions for Scythe and Centauri Saga.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

SettingSun posted:

Trzewiczek's First Martians is a game in that vein and is so bad I never got around to actually playing it despite purchasing it.

Martians: A Story of Civilisation predates all of them, I think, and is pretty good imo.

Jedit posted:

First Martians is a reskin of Robinson Crusoe.

But now With An App(tm)!

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Infinitum posted:

"I bet this horse poo poo exists"

Ah, but that's not even close to the worst Monopoly.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

FirstAidKite posted:

I'm gonna hopefully get to play this later today :D

The idea of a simple short-ish adventure game that is a co-op CYOA sounded like fun. Not a fan of the name though, "Adventure Games: The Dungeon" is such a bland and generic name, almost makes it sound like something you'd see in a tv show if they needed to come up with their own original game.

I've played one of these, though not this one. It was mostly pretty good except for one total BS moment (but one that could've been in any 90s point and click).

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Mighty Eris posted:

Assuming it was the corporate heist one - was it the chair? Because that’s what made my partner call bullshit.

Yup!

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Infinitum posted:

Frosthaven is bigger than Ben Hur, and that is 100% why I backed it. Just a huge loving campaign I can tackle with people over an extended period of time.

The amount of salt in that comment section alone is :discourse:

I saw the number of comments the morning after he posted it (which was during my night time, IIRC) and did not even click.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

!Klams posted:

There's actually NOTHING to dislike about it, unless you'd be upset with less racism in your game.

:sigh: unfortunately that seems to be what chuds are.

(I did read the (very good) post by Cephalofair, just not the comments)

gschmidl fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jul 26, 2021

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

dwarf74 posted:

Some dipshit nu-gamergaters made entire hour long videos full of outrage over bad-faith misreadings of that single line.

It was.... Well, "remarkable" is not the right word since it was totally predictable, but... Sad? Yeah, sad.

:thermidor:

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

This is pretty cool but some of the nesting is very weird. Why is there Dominion with 0 expansions, and Dominion: Intrigue with everything else nested under it?

Also is there a way to nest multiple items at once?

I also seem to be too dumb to add/remove status like "for trade" et al.

gschmidl fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jul 28, 2021

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Aramoro posted:

It's pretty much garbage. Someone is going to mess up in game 1 and know they have by game 3. Then you have 9 more games to play. As someone else noted its also wildy unbalanced. In the game we played one player ended up with a 3 action cycle that was unblockable and won them every subsequent game at about the halfway point.

This happened to us, too, but the biggest mistake was involving the automata.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Some Numbers posted:

Have you played Tragedy Looper?

Seconding this, it's a fun game.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

The Eyes Have It posted:

I remember the little ships were surprisingly high quality printing and assembly. They were neat as hell and the use of every little component (including the empty punch-out cards for measuring) was nifty.

There was also a bunch of fun special editions (ghost ships, transparent monsters, etc). Did a lot of trading in the day.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

GetDunked posted:

yesssss

It should be as large and unwieldy as possible. It deserves a shelf to itself

It should be literally modelled after a longship, like 3 Anachrony Infinity Boxes attached lengthwise.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Qubee posted:

I was thinking of getting Avalon to change things up, maaaaybe some Secret Hitler, Codenames and that's all I can think of. I was gonna save meatier games like Catan and Carcassonne for when the group is thoroughly hooked and open to trying new stuff.

Mysterium or Dixit might work.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

!Klams posted:

This isn't a helpful suggestion, so apologies, but something I have noticed is that Betrayal is AMAZING for getting people to go "Oh my gosh boardgames can be THIS?" for some reason. Which is sort of a shame, because it's so naff.

I almost mentioned Betrayal but decided against it precisely because the rules are so often unclear about stuff and that ruins it with a group that's not willing to compromise.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

That's why it's Quacks, not Professionals, of Quedlinburg.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

PRADA SLUT posted:

Does anyone know what's going on with Sleeping Gods? I ordered it from GameKastle and I heard there was some sort of production issue post-Kickstarter (like the original run had a problem or something?), but now the game has vanished from retailers with no information and the last Kickstarter update was six months ago.

I have the Kickstarter version and I'm not aware of any game-breaking problems. Some minor errors in the rulebook and some errata, as always. I'm seeing this from Ryan Laukat on BGG:

quote:

Aug 18
Thanks for your interest in the game! We're working to get it back in stock as quickly as possible. Manufacturing and assembly of the reprint finishes this week. Sadly, shipping the containers will likely take quite a long time because of the current freight situation. I hope to have this back in stock before the end of the year.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Jedit posted:

I wouldn't bank on it. Germany's cases are on the up again, and the new government that comes in a couple of weeks before the fair may feel they are more able to institute a new lockdown once they don't have to worry about it being popular. I'm skipping the Gamer Hajj this year for that reason, much as I'd love to go.

Same. €20 a day for tickets, there and back on a plane, and then 4 days of constant masking doesn't sound like my idea of safe or fun. Their safety concept is as good as it'll get assuming they'll actually stick with it, but I'm convinced this is still going to turn into a superspreader event.

Miraculously the airline refunded me the "no refund" tickets I bought in 2019 for 2020 and re-booked for 2021 in 2020 in full.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

They are placing it during school holidays to offload the capacity a little, but yeah, Sat/Sun have remained the busiest days.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to go too but I feel it would be immensely irresponsible and stupid of me. We're usually 5 or 6 people to go and all agree on that, too, as it turns out.

I might think differently if I could drive for an hour, dip in, get games, and flee - but I've also not really seen anything that interests me in the slightest in the previews :sigh:

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Jedit posted:

Spiel is always held during the school holidays. Is that what you meant?

It is now, yeah, didn't use to be the case... 10 years? ago? Thu/Fri were deserted in comparison to the mosh pit that was Sat/Sun.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

nonathlon posted:

Going through the Essen release list

Tangentially, I've been doing that too and I don't know if it's because I've decided not to go in the interest of safety, or if it's because it's an understandably bad year for games, but there's literally nothing on there that excites me.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Infinitum posted:

Yo nerds there's a temporary Collections forum up, and I made a thread for board games cause I want to spy on your shelves and judge you all.

Show off your games here
:siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3981902 :siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren:

Call heeded.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Some Numbers posted:

Cathedrals have cardinals, schools have principals.

The principle is your ple.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Had our ersatz private Little Spiel this weekend. Games played include:

* D-Day Dice 2nd Edition: good as always.
* Exit Adventure Games: Volcano Island: terrible story with some pretty awful point & click moon logic. One guy on this spanish-speaking island is a Bavarian, and another is named Kowalski. Lowest point: you distract a female scientist by tying a knit yoda figure to a Millennium Falcon balloon, which makes her run off chasing the aliens. We gave up after chapter 3 took north of 2 hours to complete.
* Tekhenu: brain burner but pretty good - will need additional plays to understand it more.
* Buccaneer Bones: very quick, fun filler.
* Micro Macro Crime City: Full House: more Micro Macro Crime City. We didn't see any new mechanics in the 4 cases we played.

Oh, and the place we played at was here:

gschmidl fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Oct 26, 2021

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

I need to know what it is so I can avoid it like the plague.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

I really need to do this with Airships.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

taser rates posted:

I don't know if anyone else has played it here, but Omega Centauri scratched the Euro 4x itch for me better than Eclipse did.

It's extremely good, yes.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Terminally Bored posted:

Is Seasons more family friendly (rules-wise) than Res Arcana?

Everyone I know disliked Seasons, including myself.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Note part 2 of MMCC just came out and lines up with part 1 for s bigger map, with some peoples' stories going over both (but no cases combining them yet). I think 4 are planned.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

xiw posted:

What's the story with the two micro macro editions - is it just two completely different maps using the same concepts?

Yes, and they connect. Two more will make the full map, hopefully with cases spanning all 4.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Making it this free-for-all instead of focusing on games/accessories seems a bit of a minefield, and $35 seems pretty low for anything game-related. Is this really worth doing?

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Tekopo posted:

Zendo is really good, gently caress the haters, I still don’t regret picking it.

You can play Zendo with anyone and it's 60 seconds to explain. It's good.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

please knock Mom! posted:

My group always just unboxes and learns how to play on the same day, we did that with oath and it worked just fine. Never ever do this to a non-boardgamer though

Yeah, (often) same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Jedit posted:

Does anyone know if the band Sabaton are fash? Scribabs have followed up Armata Strigoi with a Sabaton game called A Battle Through History that sounds like fun, but I want to check before I spend money on it.

As far as I know they're not. Mostly they're really into war motifs for their lyrics.