Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Countblanc posted:

Archipelago definitely has too many hidden objectives to work with two people, I agree, but I think it's fine with four or five (assuming everyone has access to a player aid so you don't have to memorize that poo poo).

Archipelago has proportionally less hidden information the lower the player count goes, though. You may not be able to guess what your opponent has quite so easily, but you know two of the three scoring conditions so it's less important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Countblanc posted:

Yeah assuming you mean auction as "players bidding greater and greater amounts for poo poo" Keyflower is tops.

If you like Keyflower you should try League of Six by Vladimir Suchy, who did Last Will. You have a circle of six towns each supplying goods of different types, guards and horses; the types can be chosen within limits, but the amounts vary each turn. You start by bidding guards to take the spot of your choice, with the winner paying the loser to move on. The catch is that the loser doesn't want to move too far, as moving also costs guards that you could be using to bribe someone else. Once everyone is in a town, you choose what you're going to get from it. Goods score points when used to fill orders, but horses let you choose which order will be filled first. The trick is that you get a bonus if your order is completed, you're under no obligation to pick an order you can fill, and if you can't fill an order yourself, everyone else has to fill it for you. So you can get screwed out of the goods you want and still score well while depriving other players of goods they need to achieve their own goals.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Sgt. Anime Pederast posted:

What are the main differences between mad king Ludwig and suburbia? I know I've heard goons say that Ludwig is better but suburbia's theme seems more appealing.

Castles has a slightly different auction mechanic, a different scoring mechanic, and it sprawls a bit more. You don't need both, but I wouldn't say which is better.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Broken Loose posted:

gently caress poo poo GUYS WHY THE gently caress ISN'T EVERYBODY EXPLODING ABOUT THIS??

http://myemail.constantcontact.com/...aid=17aPfDgMspI

:frogsiren: :siren: PICTOMANIA PREORDERS ARE LIVE, GAME COMES OUT IN MARCH :siren: :frogsiren:

Because reading Chvatil's rulebooks is bad enough without having to draw the loving thing as well.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Countblanc posted:

It's actually cool

We begin to learn who it is that made Anime Fighting Deckbuilder #5 our number one ranked game, I see.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Fat Samurai posted:

Sorry, are we talking about the little peeing boy in Brussels?

Yes, we are. It was made as a joke, and nobody in their right mind plays with it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Ojetor posted:

Eh, even if the flavor is a joke, the actual board itself is perfectly playable.

I didn't say it wasn't playable, just that you shouldn't play with it. Side A's chances of winning are dependent on who it's sat between but it can be heinously overpowered in the early game, Side B is overpowered in the late game, and whoever is sat next to it is put at a disadvantage.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Schizoguy posted:

People are walking in, and you want something short. What do you play?
You have 5 people. What do you play?
You have 9 or 10 people, but don't want to split into two groups, and don't feel like playing Werewolf or Telestrations or whatnot. What do you play?
You have 15 minutes on your hands. What do you play?
It's the end of the night, and you don't feel like thinking very hard, but you also don't want to go home yet. What do you play?
Multiple people in your group enjoy Coup, want to play Coup, and are asking to play Coup, and what the hell, it's short. What do you play?

1) Dodekka, Love Letter or Red7.
2) Temporum.
3) The Resistance. PS: your "whatnot" qualifier makes this question "You have 9-10 people and don't want to play anything that holds that many and isn't Coup", so it can gently caress off.
4) ONUW, usually.
5) Practically anything except Coup. End of the night is for social games.
6) One of the other games that we will split off into. But it doesn't happen, because Coup is a game we only ever play when we're waiting on a couple of people and can't agree on anything else.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

GrandpaPants posted:

I also think that there's something weird about the cartoony worker art contrasting with the dark themes of the game.

I consider this to be a plus point, actually. It has a strong feel of Fallout to it.

The one game of MP I played I won out of nowhere a turn before someone else would have locked it out as the other players didn't realise I had squirreled away enough bomb orders to make such a quick comeback, which was a positive point as it means the game doesn't have strong inevitability from a good early start. Overall, though, I would neither rush to a second play or rule one out entirely. It's neither bad nor good, depressingly stupid nor exceedingly clever.

My worker placement games of choice would be Caylus for a basic introduction, Versailles for a strong variant on the genre, and Viticulture for an escalating advanced experience.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Fat Samurai posted:

If you need theme and your friends are into superheroes, Legendary Marvel is pretty good, and I assume the alien one is good too, given that it seems basically the same. Note that I say Marvel. Do NOT get the DC one, I don't care if you all want to be Batman. I think someone said that Artic Scavengers was good, but that it needed the expansion (or optional cards? can't remember) to really shine.

Speaking of deckbuilders, someone say bad words about Shadowrun: Crossroads so I don't buy it.

It's Shadowrun and hence is poo poo.

Arctic Scavengers does require the expansion to shine, but the Rio Grande edition includes it. The game is also not so complex that you can't throw all of it apart from the buildings in straight away.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Fat Samurai posted:

What's your 2nd best deckbuilder, by the way? Temporium?

Temporum is not a deck builder.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

T-Bone posted:

Thanks. These all comprise (along with Dominant Species and Archipelago) pretty much the top of my WP wishlist after we get tired of Waterdeep. How do Rosenberg's other WPs (Caverna/Le Havre/Ora Et Labora) compare to Agricola?

A few other neat looking WPs (Lewis & Clark, Keyflower, and Francis Drake) are sitting five minutes away from me at my FLGS so that's kind of tempting too. Anyone have any experience with them? Francis Drake's box weighs like 20 pounds.

also goddamn does Alchemists look fun -- print before I run out of money please

I'll save you some money - it's a limp game with a gimmick. If you really want a copy you'll be able to pick one up for half of gently caress all in about three months.

Worker placement with direct conflict: Euphoria. Your workers are dice; you re-roll them whenever they leave the board, either by you picking them up or them being bumped out of the space they're on by another worker being placed there, and if the total of the workers you don't have on the board plus a variable constant is greater than 15 you lose one of your workers. If you catch a player recalling only some of his dice to avoid that risk, you can bump another one of his workers from the board to push him over the top. Also there are a number of construction projects on the board. When one of them is completed, anyone who didn't participate in the construction suffers a penalty until they can pay a painful cost. Each space on the construction tracks requires a specific resource, too, so you can block players out of the spaces they can build.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

T-Bone posted:

True, but I've heard great things about Last Will and Tzolk'in. It seems like they have some talent there outside of Vlaada.

Last Will is good (although Suchy's other game League of Six is better), Tzolk'in is good, Chvatil is not good.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Ojetor posted:

Any opinions on Concordia? Someone is offering to trade me their copy for couple of old warhams.

It's a clever game, but a bit dry. If you don't want the things they're asking for much it's worth playing.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

echoMateria posted:

Get Keyflower, you won't regret it, it is also hard to get hold onto, so you might not get another chance any soon. I heard that Francis Drake's also good too, but don't buy Lewis & Clark. It looks spectacular, it tries to do great things... but fails. It is one of the few games most video reviewers agree in their disappointment in. Check out http://www.shutupandsitdown.com/videos/v/review-lewis-clark/ for example.

I thought Lewis and Clark was good. I'm not sure that it's a great game, and I've turned down the chance to play it since, but it's got a lot of room for well calculated steps.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Mega64 posted:

Has anyone else played Deus yet? I enjoyed the game I played last night, seemed like a nice mid-weight game with a bit of area control and lots of potential for engine building. I wonder if it's better to go heavy into one or two areas instead of spreading out and building temples, since doing the former helped me win by a large margin, but it looks like there's quite a bit of variety in good strategies.

I won my first game by stacking heavily in a small area, and my second by sprawling and building temples. It depends what cards you get early on, especially yellows, but you have to be adaptable because you can only activate each chain of abilities five times across the whole game. Counter to a previous post, it is Deus that is Better Catan. (Archipelago is 4X of Catan.)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Kai Tave posted:

Prescience, ironically, is one of those cards that seems like it should be really super amazing on first glance but with the limited pool of battle cards available to each player I'm not entirely sure how useful it'll be in practice.

Prescience is really strong. Not only do you choose the card you'll be fighting with after your opponent, you also choose the card you throw away and your DI cards. If he's used his 4/1 and you can't win even with your own 4/1, you play for maximum damage and save your own 4/1 and DI cards. Then you come back with a full army to beat him plus more damage. After the first time he'll figure out what you're doing, but he'll be forced to recall after combat and give up any temp points unless he wants to give you guaranteed points.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Are there any other good games that have simultaneous turns like 7 wonders? More and more I'm becoming aware of the downside to long turns or significant setup and tear down times, but I'm also a little burnt out on 7 wonders.

Orleans has simultaneous planning, and actions resolve quite quickly as they mostly do fixed things.

Eminent Domain has every player participating in each player's turn.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

malkav11 posted:

I can't swear this is true in advanced play, since we were all newbies too, but the person that won our first game of Viticulture hardly filled a wine order all game and scored a bunch of their points off the Windmill and Tasting Room (they had visitors that let them build those cheaply well before the rest of us).

It's a viable strategy. The guy who tried it in our first game finished fourth of five on 21 points (the top two both had 25, third was 22), but that could have turned into a win with better knowledge of the game. Harvesting a couple of small grapes early on and letting them mature into filling one big order in the endgame can make up several points, and because you've been doing a lot of tours you should have more money for the tiebreaker. However, it may be less economical in terms of actions than hammering out cheap orders for maximum residuals.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Some Numbers posted:

Go in release order, but skip Alchemy.

So that's Intrigue -> Seaside -> Prosperity. I don't know what came after Prosperity, because I was (and still am) burned out on Dominion.

Before DA and Guilds I often heard "go in release order, but skip Seaside until the end and skip Alchemy altogether". Seaside's duration cards add a complication to the game mechanics that not everyone likes, and it's also the least thematically solid set.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Broken Loose posted:

There are many ways to generate Kingdoms. You can use the built-in blue-backed randomizer cards, or you can exist in the 21st loving century and use an online randomizer. Online randomizers get better as you get more expansions, and the good ones (like I linked) also allow for other consistency options like forcing +1 Buy and +2 Actions.

Sorry, using a website solution is only 20th century. 21st century is using a smartphone app like Dominion Shuffle, so you can play Dominion on the road without carrying a laptop with you and praying there's wifi.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

So a quick rules thing on Kemet

1.is it ever explicitly said anywhere when you can sacrifice dudes you've teleported to the Temple of All Gods? Is it the same time as when you can give up 1 guy for 5 prayer points at the other temple?

2.While you are occupying a temple you're adding the amount of Prayer Points it's showing during the Night Phase right?

3.The White Power that gives you a discount on the cost of all powers doesn't actually lower the level your pyramid needs to be to get them,just the cost itself.

Yes to all three.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Broken Loose posted:

i'm sorry your group is a bunch of scared idiot children.

Nobody should try to read a Chvatil rulebook at the end of a night and expect to play the game. Even his fervent cheerleaders agree on that.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Toshimo posted:

I played Veto mode once. The first person vetoed King's Court. The second person vetoed Goons. I vetoed playing with those monsters.

The last game of Dominion I played featured King's Court and Goons. After I ended it with twice as many points as the other three players combined, I think they might veto at least one of them in future.

(They have said that they're determined to beat me at the game, so a lesson in humility is forthcoming.)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

echoMateria posted:

I had this on my shopping list but had to mark it off as "I only want the US version when that's printed" after watching Rahdo's playthrough and seeing the English/German First printing was German, as in had texts in German all around, with a tucked in English manual.

Orleans is completely language-independent, if you don't care exactly what the events, buildings and beneficial deeds are called.

Given the problems known with Orleans worker tokens wearing out, gently caress making the Deluxe components exclusive and only for sale in North America and Australia. There really needs to be an upgrade pack.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Magnetic North posted:

Oh my god, please tell me I've been reading the Tumblr thread too long and I can no longer tell the difference between a troll post and a real one. But, on the off chance this isn't a troll and I'm talking to some sort of sentient lichen permeating the pages of a cheeto-stained comic book draped over an unplugged keyboard, let me try and work with this metaphor:

You see, the prominent people in board game reviewing aren't actually the smartest and most worthy of that position: that would be the equivalent of Batman, the hero we deserve. He watched his parents get cut down in The Game Of Life and now has a Monopoly on pain. Only thematically rich and mechanically sound board games dare show their faces in Gotham. Unfortunately, just like in 52, Batman is absent.

Instead, those heroes are more like your friendly neighborhood Spiderman. Peter Parker got his powers entirely by chance when bitten by a radioactive spider. Well, our board game reviewing heroes also got where they are in part by good fortune, or at least partly by means other than just their game design knowledge. In this case, they got it because of their ability to make the content that works within YouTube's system. For Rahdo, it's his gift of gab so he makes entertaining videos and gets subscribers. For Rodney Smith, it's his commitment to excellence and neutrality and that garners subscribers. For Tom Vasel, it's just a pure numbers game: enough content and eyeballs will accrue subscribers. For SUSD, it's probably a little of everything. (Yes, a Fantastic Four metaphor might be more apt here, but let's go with this one.)

While no doubt the rest of your analysis was interesting and informative, I stopped here because you've clearly misunderstood SU&SD. SU&SD are the avatars of autism and idiocy in this world. So long as spergs and stupid people exist, they will have subscribers. That is all.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Rutibex posted:

Their reviews where much better before I had been in the hobby a while and started having my own opinions on games. They stopped being funny experts and started being amusing yet wrong, like a mime. Its less entertaining when you can tell they have played a game once and read the first page of reviews on BGG before writing their script.

It's less entertaining when you realise they have no actual intent to review games properly and just want to be funny quirky internet actors.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Lichtenstein posted:

Also, Matt Thrower prefers One Night Ultimate Werewolf to Resistance and Mascarade to Coup, so he's scientifically proven to be a poopyhead.

These may be the only things he's actually right about. Outside this thread I know nobody who prefers Coup to Mascarade. ONUW vs The Resistance is more a matter of taste, but we definitely play more ONUW these days because we love blatantly lying and leaving it to others to wonder what we're lying about and why.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Tekopo posted:

Let me tell you how Legendary Encounters is the best game in the whole wide world...

An interesting point. If a game were to be the best game ever, would it be possible to objectively review it? By definition it would have to be a game you liked.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Crackbone posted:

Anybody played Orleans? Looks neat from Radho's review/playthrough, not sure if it's worth $60 though.

It's straight up my favourite game from Essen 2014. Versailles is better for that light, quick fix and is a solid game to introduce casual gamers to the hobby, but Orleans is incredibly strong on every level. Buy that sucker.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

FISHMANPET posted:

Question for those who've played Viticulture: is there any maintenance cost for workers or anything like that? AKA if I have the 4 Lira every turn is there any reason not to keep hiring more workers?

The main reason not to hire all your workers is that the game usually ends by year 6 or 7. If you're not careful you can end up spending $4 and an action to get one action back.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

Eh.... that's far higher praise than Nations really deserves.

Nations is not a streamlined TTA. It's the components of TTA modified slightly and then used to make a different game that is more turn-by-turn tactical, less about long term engine building and very number-crunchy. In a world without TTA it would probably deserve to be held up as an amazing game. In a world with TTA however, it suffers from being neither streamlined enough, interesting enough or well produced enough to be worth recommending. If anything, it feels like a precursor to TTA, not a successor. Before I picked it up, I read a bunch of reviews on BGG and was confused about why people were so meh about something that looked so perfect. Now I get it. It's just kind of uninspired.

I would love it if someone would do to TTA what Eclipse did to Twilight Imperium.

Nations doesn't deserve to be held up as an amazing game in any world. It's horribly designed; each age being identical to the last but with bigger numbers, a failure to do well in Age I leaves you playing catch-up the whole game and can trigger a death spiral that has you effectively eliminated by the end of turn 2.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

fozzy fosbourne posted:

The thing that had me discouraged was Rahdo's description of having the same kingdom every time and then maybe removing cards from it? I guess I'm not clear on how the kingdom is generated since I wasn't playing close attention and should probably look it up.

My worry from watching the final thoughts was whether it would get old quick without an expansion. But I guess that's probably true of every deck builder, which sort of makes me hesitant to buy them until an expansion has actually shipped

My worry is that you managed to watch at least an hour of videos about Orleans and thought it had cards in it.

The variance in Orleans comes from the random distribution of goods on the map and the random order of events within a fixed game length. If most of the high-value goods are at the south end of the board, goods collection becomes less efficient; if all three Market Day events come out early, building trade posts becomes less effective. The former variance can help determine your initial strategy, but the latter can force you to change it. The winner will be the person who is best able to adapt their strategy to meet the pattern of the game while keeping it focused enough to carry out their main plan efficiently.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Zveroboy posted:

When I unwrapped Concordia on Christmas Day my aunt said "Is that one of your daft games then?"

When she unwrapped the bottle of vodka, did you say "Is that one of your breakfast menu items then?"

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Dre2Dee2 posted:

I really like Trajan, if you are into worker placement euros you might like this one. Of course like any euro, the theme is mostly cosmetic but it is a great looking game. Very classy.

I was going to recommend Trajan. I'll also put the oar in for Sylla, as it's available fairly cheaply and has the unusual theme of being corrupt as all hell. You're literally buying public favour with bread and circuses, bribing the Senate and ignoring major public disasters if they don't give you enough reward for helping, all the while watching naked dancing girls at the orgy.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Quidnose posted:

Ahahaha what the hell, that ridiculous

:smuggo:

That was a day one score and I've beaten it by a little since, but 1400 points still eludes me.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

xopods posted:

The natural evolution of the deck-builder is for someone to build a deck-destroyer.

Miskatonic School for Girls technically does that. Getting the maximum amount of crap in your opponents' decks is the chief mechanic.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

PerniciousKnid posted:

I think "improvements" would've been a better term, there.

Would you mind defining these improvements? Because I played 50-odd digital games of Star Realms and found it was Ascension with one of the routes to victory taken away and an obvious dominant strategy (buy Outposts).

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Why the hell is Glory to Rome still out of print? It's a card game for crying out loud

The last person who tried reprinting Glory to Rome lost his house because of it. Admittedly because he was too successful and promised too much, but the Black Edition has kind of tainted the well because now that's what people expect it to be. The original edition is so loving ugly that the guy in our group who owns it can't get anyone to play it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Sloober posted:

I had no idea you could turtle your way to victory in risk (As they seem to do since they don't expect attack?), I thought the only meaningful choice you could ever make is "Who do I want to attack this turn".

You can't turtle to victory as the win conditions are conquests. The important part of the story is that the players hadn't seen a game end before. These two facts are not unrelated.