Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echoMateria
Aug 29, 2012

Fruitbat Factory

Cocks Cable posted:

I tried Core Worlds for the second time today. It's a deckbuilder with a very Race For the Galaxy like feel. The first time I played it, it was the base game only with no expansions. It felt okay-ish but was lacking something. This time I played with the all of the expansions combined and the game improved quite a bit. Galactic Orders is a must have expansion. The content it adds is all around great and really furthers to experience of the game. The second expansion, Revolution, was just so so. Advancements were a decent addition although I never bothered to buy them. Not enough of them came out and the only one I seriously considered was snagged before my turn. And then the Hero Tactics are strange, kinda fiddly, and ultimately felt inconsequential.

We played Core Worlds thrice now including the one this weekend, once only with the base and twice with the Galactic Orders. At end of all playthroughs the consensus was that it took too long and the decks weren't cycling fast enough in the 10 turn run of the game to make your buys worth the effort. Even with the extra draw powers and the one trash ability of the home world advancement and rare chances of colonizing the invaded planets to get rid of one grunt or snub.

I like the theme and the art but can't seem to be able run this game in a fashion that leaves most players satisfied after.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echoMateria
Aug 29, 2012

Fruitbat Factory

Fat Samurai posted:

There is an iOS port, in case anyone wants to try it for a low price. Interface is pretty good on an iPad, cramped on a phone.

I've only ever played Tigris & Euphrates on tablet, and while it isn't a bad port like some other games got, but it bored the hell out of me on all my tries. Maybe I would have liked it instead if I was able to play the actual version with someone who liked the game instead of the AI opponents. So I'd be vary of recommending digital versions of boardgames to people as samples. They just aren't the same.

echoMateria
Aug 29, 2012

Fruitbat Factory

Big McHuge posted:

Maybe I'll dust off my prototype and tinker with it once work slows down.

You just need an artist to start printing money. There is always space for a new zombie game on Kickstarter.

echoMateria
Aug 29, 2012

Fruitbat Factory

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Oh yeah, all the figuring out what cards to give to people and enjoying the confusion and all that sounds like a great experience. I guess I'm tainted by playing with people who like to overanalyze things and would probably take 20 minutes analyzing the cards while the Spirit sits in silence growing increasingly more frustrated that he's not doing anything. :v:

Just watch Richard misinterpreting all the clues his wife's giving him: http://youtu.be/vxh4oB0ATrI

echoMateria
Aug 29, 2012

Fruitbat Factory
I'm a bit interested in Imperial Assault as well but bazillion something something packs makes me feel like not getting it. I mean look at this CoolStuff page for them.

If I buy a game, I need get all parts of it, so that "But you can play with only the core box" argument doesn't work for me. So the choice is either getting all of this, or not getting it at all.

Also not a fan of miniatures, I already have enough to do without putting time into painting them, and I have to pain them because OCD.

So far I've been able to resist purchasing this, so far...

echoMateria
Aug 29, 2012

Fruitbat Factory
We were just talking about Zombie Kickstarters the last page and a new one, ZNA, which only costs $125 (+$70 shipping to my country for example) has already made almost $100k in its first day. Doesn't it just warm your heart?

(Miniatures are bold in the component list, just in case)

echoMateria fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Dec 17, 2014

echoMateria
Aug 29, 2012

Fruitbat Factory

OmegaGoo posted:

Please don't do this for a teaching game. This is FANTASTIC once everyone knows what they're doing, but do not do this against newbies. You will never play this game with them again.

As I was reading the rest of the posts, I was planning to comment on this as well. Almost all the comments I read about Tragedy Looper is on how CRUSH the players, how to DESTROY them, how to NOT let them know ANYTHING at all. Which Masterminds handbook expressly advises against. I tells that the fun of the game is letting players to enjoy discovering things, figuring out parts of the story and then competing against them.

Imagine a villain killing the protagonist of a story in the first minutes of the story. That wouldn't really be interesting. That is why most stories has villains toying with the protagonists, helping them along, giving them clues here and there and sabotaging their progress somewhere else. In the end, where is the fun in being the lonely bad guy who already won and has nothing to do anymore. Which is surely not the analogy of you being the guy who bought the game and now unable to find anyone to play with.

echoMateria fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Dec 20, 2014

echoMateria
Aug 29, 2012

Fruitbat Factory

Poison Mushroom posted:

Which is a little disappointing, really.

Yea, I don't think I like the idea. You should be allowed to place anything anywhere next to your previous pieces, however you like. After all building is finished, then it should tell you what was placed wrong and why, remove those pieces, so you can proceed flying with your Swiss cheese of a ship. It is not in the spirit of the game to have a big brother watching over your shoulder and slapping your hand as you are placing them, correcting your mistakes.

echoMateria fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Dec 21, 2014

echoMateria
Aug 29, 2012

Fruitbat Factory

Mister Sinewave posted:

Some time ago I picked up Theseus: The Dark Orbit ...

I was interested in this game when it was just released. Rahdo praised it as a two player game at Rahdo Runs Through►►► Theseus: The Dark Orbit. Shut Up & Sit bashed it to the ground as a four player game at Shut Up & Sit Down Reviews: THESEUS. Already having too many two player games, too little time to play them (with work and everything) and also having all the other games to play with the regular 4 player group instead, I said "Oh well..." and moved on. I still wonder when I see someone talking about it. Though it rarely happens, if ever. Like this might be the first time anyone mentioned it on the three iterations of this thread I followed.

echoMateria
Aug 29, 2012

Fruitbat Factory

Mega64 posted:

I'm sure someone could give a much better write-up, but

Pros: Harder to quarterback than most co-ops, good theme that stands out from other co-ops.
Cons: Bad art, there's not much decision making since it's usually obvious what card to play, some characters aren't as interesting to play as others.

I thought it's a decent game, probably best as a beginner game to ease people in, but it does have some big flaws that keep it from being a great game, and as far as introducing the game to others the theme and simplicity may be canceled out with the terrible art. Don't know how much the expansions fix/alter the gameplay though.

Sadly, expansions made it worse. We enjoyed the base game, with all its faults, so I bought everything else. We hated "the everything else". Took me a couple of years, but I finally managed to sell it last week, so glad to be gotten rid of it.

My group was okay with the art, but as mentioned many times earlier, Sentinels plays itself. Hero decks have an engine they try to set up while villain cards try to disrupt those engines and while those two compete with multiple hero decks trying to assist each other, you only do the book keeping. And oh... that book keeping, a billion tokens going up and down, up and down all the cards every round.

echoMateria fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Dec 23, 2014

echoMateria
Aug 29, 2012

Fruitbat Factory
Any idea why Warhammer: Diskwars died? Outside the shameful treatment it got by SU&SD, I don't see any reason for it to rise and fall so much in such a short time. It was such a neat idea. Wonder if we can blame GW somewhere, like if they didn't like their share of the profits and pulled their license or something. I love blaming GW, they deserve every bit of it.

echoMateria
Aug 29, 2012

Fruitbat Factory
There are a bunch of CO-OP VS AI card games out there now and still none felt as fiddly or lacking any meaningful choices as Sentinels to my group. Out of the ones that I can think of at the moment, LotR LCG feels closest to me in mechanics, maybe because I got them at similar times. I had to let that go because one LCG (Netrunner) was enough of a hole in my pocket, but its mechanics were leagues beyond Sentinels. I still wonder about picking it up again one day...

echoMateria
Aug 29, 2012

Fruitbat Factory

Kai Tave posted:

Anyway, I'm telling you that story to tell you this one, I was so annoyed by that first hour being a waste that in a convoluted fit of pique I bought a copy of Kemet off the shelves then and there, resolving to do everything I can to learn how it works and learn how to effectively teach it so that when next Tuesday rolls around I can do a better job of teaching everybody a new game than that dude. I've never played Kemet before, so those of you with experience please impart upon me your wisdom. Things to bear in mind, common pitfalls, easily misinterpreted rules, anything, I want it all. Also what's the best way to go about teaching it to new players, if you have any special tricks for that? I see the instructions have rules for a quick "Beginner's Mode" and I have next Tuesday free so I can go to the store early and get in a two-player game with the owner to give him a feel for how things work before other people show up.

Of that http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/91982/universal-head-kemet-rules-summary-reference, I printed 5 copies (one for each potential player, ) of the last 4 pages into A4's and folded them in he middle (making them smaller, since game already takes a huge space on the table). Rest of the PDF isn't something they would need to look at much, but everyone needs their own copy of those other 4 pages (more like 3 but why leave the backside of one blank). Even after everyone is familiar with all the power tiles, it saves time from getting up and trying to see what tiles are there, since the game has a huge footprint on the table and tiles are probably placed at the other edge of table from you.

Also either print this http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/89841/comprehensive-faq-all-threads-date or have it ready at hand on a tablet/smartphone. Having a pdf of the rulebook there as well wouldn't hurt. It is always much faster to search for a keyword then shuffling pages and searching manually.

Take time explaining that Determining the Winner of a battle is done before Counting the Casualties. Seen newbies assuming otherwise if not emphasized enough.

Tell people to put their power tiles to a place visible to other players and not stack them. It isn't fun to attack people and encounter combat modifying power tiles popping out of nowhere.

Explain people when they can use their Divine Intervention cards while showing the 5th of the Universal Head KEMET Rules Summary & Reference with them on. New players always mix Play in Day phase, in player’s turn (except in a battle). / Play in battle phase. / Play in an opponent’s turn.

echoMateria
Aug 29, 2012

Fruitbat Factory
Dungeon Petz is out of print sadly. Been that way for more than a year now. I placed an order for it at the place I shop regularly, the guy scoured all his sources and finally placed a backorder for it... and its been a year since, or more. I guess they'll do a Kickstarter for it with a bigger box like Dungeon Lords instead and that's why they haven't printed it again for so long.

echoMateria fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Dec 24, 2014

echoMateria
Aug 29, 2012

Fruitbat Factory

Bobby The Rookie posted:

I assumed CGE were going to start reprinting stuff like Dungeon Lords and Petz themselves next year, since they had the falling out with Z-Man.

Dungeon Lords Anniversary Edition Kickstarter was from Czech Games Edition (CGE) with Mr. B. Games acting as the US host. Maybe it wasn't just a falling out with Z-Man over one thing but was coming all along.

echoMateria
Aug 29, 2012

Fruitbat Factory

malkav11 posted:

It did? I don't see that anywhere on the main page or in any of the updates. Did they say something about it in the video? (I never watch KS videos.)

Yes, it was included in tiers $170 and above. Since I already had DL and DL:FS, I just wanted the $55 upgrade tier. If they had instead gone with the add-on option, I would have grabbed it and its expansion. I even messaged them about it, asking for it to be added as an add-on choice, and they replied "Sorry, but we wanted this KS to be a simple one with no add-ons"...

Kai Tave posted:

Yeah, I picked that up from the video. The Kemet rulebook isn't exactly unclear but it doesn't go into quite as much detail as I would like it to.

Kemet Supplementary Rules By Chas explains most of the things rulebook glossed over in better detail. With that and the Comprehensive FAQ from all the threads to date you probably should cover everything.

echoMateria fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Dec 25, 2014

echoMateria
Aug 29, 2012

Fruitbat Factory
How does being a spy work in Spyfall? I haven't gotten my hands on a copy yet but I am kinda confused about how it works. Since everybody but you are looking at the card in their hand to think of questions to come up with, while you need to look at the spreadsheet of possible locations to figure out what location you all are in, while not having anyone notice that you are looking at that sheet instead of your card... :confused:

echoMateria
Aug 29, 2012

Fruitbat Factory
I wonder if anyone even saw my Spyfall question between the oh so useful Munchkin flood. Someone should open a Munchkin thread so we can send people there to discuss its merits and flaws endlessly...

Someone was talking about Xia: Legends of a Drift System on this or previous thread and I remember some negative comments about it. It seems quite popular and highly rated. Can anyone elaborate what's good and bad about it before more goon money is spend on that direction please?

echoMateria
Aug 29, 2012

Fruitbat Factory

Scyther posted:

I haven't played Xia but my understanding is the game is full of dumb dumb things like rolling a die based on your engine quality to move (a crappy engine might be a d6 while a good engine might be a d10), rolling your attack, then the defender rolls shields (a crappy shield again might be a d6 and a good one might be a d10), and all sorts of other poorly thought out crap like "every time you roll a 20 on a d20 for any reason, you get a victory point, hooray!"

Basically the design reeks of "this is my first game and the only playtesters were a handful of my friends who played the game exactly as I'd envisioned it should be played so everything went fine".

So it's an extremely dice dependent space trading game? One of my friends already have Firefly if I feel a need for that kind of thing so I guess I can stay far, far away. Thanks.

echoMateria
Aug 29, 2012

Fruitbat Factory
Anyone played Orléans? Rahdo was very enthusiastic about it in his best games of 2014 video.

echoMateria
Aug 29, 2012

Fruitbat Factory

Jedit posted:

It was my "big miss" at Essen (Deus also, but that was me running out of time, not them running out of stock) but I picked it up as soon as it was released. Great game. What were you wanting to know?

Out of the ones Richard talked and praised a lot on that video, Orléans, Subdivision, Kanban and La Granja caught my interest. I remember reading some comments about them a month or so ago too. So I'd like to hear some fresh goon opinions on them before deciding on adding any/all of them to my shopping list.

echoMateria
Aug 29, 2012

Fruitbat Factory

Hulk Krogan posted:

So I realized that I'm missing a few pieces from my copy of Lords of Waterdeep + the expansion. The score track token for the grey expansion faction and one of the building markers for the green faction, specifically. Any suggestions on where to score replacements? I did some searching around and apparently WotC doesn't sell (or give out) replacements unless you bought a defective copy. Even just some place I can buy generic, colored wooden tokens would be fine.

http://www.shop.rockinbgames.com/#!/Wooden-Cubes/c/3344318/offset=0&sort=nameAsc sells wooden cubes of various colors and two sizes (8 & 10mm). My Mage Wars came with two cubes missing and I put in ones of matching colors that are almost the same size. I didn't see Gray as an option but maybe you can buy a natural one and paint it the color you need it. They are only 10-11 cents each anyway.

echoMateria
Aug 29, 2012

Fruitbat Factory

Dirk the Average posted:

Just got the chance to play Sentinels of the Multiverse today and had a blast with it. There are some flaws, but everyone had fun and we had some good losses and some good wins (varying from one silly win where we just locked a boss down until he slowly was chipped to death while we took 0 damage and healed each round, and one game where we curbstomped the boss to death in ~6 turns). Our group really enjoys co-op games. Are there any more in this vein with a nice quick setup time, ~1-1.5 hour play time, that are co-op?

Don't get Hanabi, it is overrated. Get Tragedy Looper instead. It is co op for 3 playing against you (+1) for 30-60 minutes after the initial tutorial table talk play.

If you want something closer to Sentinels' "players playing against an AI deck" thing, Legendary: Encounters would be my recommendation.

echoMateria
Aug 29, 2012

Fruitbat Factory

BonHair posted:

I respect your right to this opinion, but could you please elaborate on this? I am honestly curious how you could not enjoy this game.
I have played it with people ranging from spergy engineering students who knew statistics too well to liberal arts chicks with no boardgaming experience, and after getting used to the honour system of avoiding to cheat as much as possible and the lack of a clear cut victory/loss everyone enjoyed it immensely. I think it has a great depth and challenge in it, mostly in how to deal with and give limited information in the best possible way, despite it being very simple to teach. Also, evolving a group meta is great and it makes you feel that you are progressing you skill at the game in a very tangible way.

Hanabi feels more like a social experiment than a game to me. And I'd rather play a game then keep wondering "What counts as cheating?" the whole time. Even you mention "after getting used to the honour system of avoiding to cheat as much as possible" foremost. Playing Hanabi is hard not because of trying to guess what is what and that but because you are trying so, so hard to not to cheat. It feels like an incomplete game to me with vague rules and a tackled on goal. Last time we played it, I said "So we got X points guys, lets try to do better next time!" And everyone said "Let's not play again" together, like they agreed to do beforehand. I sold it not long afterwards and we never talked about it again.

echoMateria
Aug 29, 2012

Fruitbat Factory

Lottery of Babylon posted:

I know people who will keep talking in Space Alert during a Communications Down and then get annoyed at me when I shoosh them.

Just make a really loud SSSHHH noise to help the computer to make it impossible for them to be able to talk during Communications Down or don't play that game with that group of people.

Elyv posted:

I've only played Tzol'kin once and had no idea what I was doing, but it felt like a fun and interesting take on worker placement.

I just played it for the first time a couple of hours ago too. I liked it more than I expected, though I wonder if the temple of skulls, whatever it is called, is a bit unbalanced compared to the rest of the game and maybe wonders as well. I mean there are a lot of thigns you can do, but it feels like nothing is as powerful as those two in terms of accumulating victory points.

echoMateria
Aug 29, 2012

Fruitbat Factory

Echophonic posted:

Yeah, Keyflower is a knife fight with meeples. Dickery and counter-dickery abounds. Awesome game. Still need to try out The Farmers. Maybe I'll get to it before Merchants shows up.

They just mailed me today saying that they are getting ready to ship Keyflower: The Merchants to the Kickstarter backers. Can't wait to lay my hands on it.

Will probably be the cutest game in my collection. I mean... just look at it. And to think of all the dark claims you are all making about this pretty and innocent game...

echoMateria
Aug 29, 2012

Fruitbat Factory

Lhet posted:

Somewhat due to this thread, I've picked up Tragedy Looper because it seems pretty unique and fun, even though I tend to avoid games over an hour.
"Time loop deduction board game" is still pretty out there as far as categories go...

It is over an hour with table talk, less without. First time teaching will be extra long though, since it has a tutorial-game-cut in it.

echoMateria
Aug 29, 2012

Fruitbat Factory

ETB posted:

Something tells me IB&C won't pay for return shipping...

Usually when you return an item you can send it to the receiver to pay upon delivery, but it carries a risk if someone clueless receiving the package, like a security guy and they might refuse paying for shipping and send it back. And even if they receive it, no company pays you back the shipping cost you initially paid to receive the item, but only the cost of the item itself. Still it beats getting stuck with a purchase you no longer care to have though.

On another subject, I'm looking at the Imperial Assault I just received yesterday and owners of Descent 2.0 can also reply this question I guess. Is it worth inviting one more person to make the rebel side 4 players when our regular group is 4 including me? As I read, it seems the Imperial player can adjust to the number of rebel players, by removing some of his units from the game during setup. Doesn't this make the game less of what it could be? BGG has it listed as "best with 5 players" So should I try to achieve a 5 player stable group to play it? Having more players consistently showing up to play one specific continuing campaign game is harder with more people. Is the difference worth it?

echoMateria
Aug 29, 2012

Fruitbat Factory
A Look at 2014: Top Selling Board Games

Tom Vassel listed the top selling 20 games Coolstuff Inc announced for 2014.
(excluding the X-wing stuff, just assume they are over the top)

echoMateria
Aug 29, 2012

Fruitbat Factory

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Archipelago
Terra Mystra
(got Kermit)

Path Finder Deck Builder
Trains
Arctic Scavenger
A Few Acres of Snow v2
Star Realms
Legendary Encounters
Temporum

2) Any other suggestions?

2.5). Are there any other notable games that combine the hand of cards and dudes on a map like CitOW (and sorta Twilight Struggle)?

3) Are Netrunner and Doomtown interesting enough to purchase as board games and play with new people without investing in a bunch of cards? I liked cube drafting to play Magic: The Board Game, basically

4) Has an ideal solution to organizing Dominion emerged from the nether? What about universal in box dividers or something, for other games?

Archipelago will feel different enough if you can emphasize that trying to figure out people's goals being the point of the game. Otherwise your group may find it "yet another dry euro"

Terra Mystica << Tekopo nailed it.

Pathfinder Card Game is not a deck builder, don't buy it expecting one. It is D&D (Pathfinder) the card game. It does feature some deck building somewhere, but it is a minor part of the experience.

Trains will go right into your "Marvel Legendary, Thunderstone, Ascension etc" classification.

Arctic Scavengers will look great at first, but you won't play it much after a few games due to the static "kingdom" being always the same and creating static strategies.

A Few Acres of Snow v2 << v2?

Star Realms << you won't like it if you played Dominion so much. But considering it'S price you may just toss it alongside Trains group above.

Legendary Encounters << is a nice co op challenge with a little bit of deck building in. I prefer it to regular Legendary any day.

Temporum << I'm curious about this one as well, but also a little concerned...

2) Any other suggestions? << Assault on Doomrock, Tragedy Looper, Guildhall, Lost Legacy, Suburbia, Tash-Kalar

4) Has an ideal solution to organizing Dominion emerged from the nether? What about universal in box dividers or something, for other games? << I made am mdf insert into the big Carcassonne for my Dominion cards and it turned out to be a mistake. It is just too heavy. Instead get Trading Card Storage Boxes and put them in those one set/per box while printing out dividers from BGG.

echoMateria
Aug 29, 2012

Fruitbat Factory

Happy Birthday!

That Galaxy Trucker cake looks great. :toot:

echoMateria
Aug 29, 2012

Fruitbat Factory

Lhet posted:

Tragedy looper was really fun. One of my friends also has it so he was able to act as mastermind, which made learning it pretty painless. Had a semi-house rule that you couldn't talk about the specific strategy/deduction except between loops, which definitely seems like the right idea. Downside was we horribly died on the first start scenario, partially due to a few communication issues (though the nail in the coffin was a rules misunderstanding). I think what makes sense for future games is to let players say "I'll take care of X" or "I'll make sure Y gets out of the shrine", but not "I'm playing a vertical movement". Really great game though, and it looks like my concerns about game length shouldn't be an issue, given the ability to pick shorter/longer scenarios.

That is not a house rule but listed on the rules as one of the two choices to run the game that players decide ahead of the game. Basically it is very hard for the Mastermind to win if players spend 15 minutes to discuss what to do every day and pick what card each one places. It also makes the game last ten times longer than the alternative. So it is recommended to play the game with "table talk" until players manage to win and then switch to "table talk off" which just means no strategy talk during loops (not even your "I'll take care of X" or "I'll make sure Y gets out of the shrine").

Which really is the ideal form of the game because it gets really, really long and quarterback-y otherwise. Last weekend we played the very first tragedy; Players kept making mistakes that would let me win by placing cards that would play into my plans, but since they talked and talked about it, someone eventually made a suggestion to play another card there to guarantee things and they ended up playing so safe that I wasn't able to counter them by playing according to the suggestions on the book. (Which makes it easy for them by playing a little too obviously)

Broken Loose posted:

A major problem is that the unbeatable strategy is trivial to discover if you have any experience with deckbuilding games whatsoever, to the point where it was obvious to people in this thread during their first play.

Didn't the "unbeatable strategy" consist entirely of something as basic to deck builders as trashing cards? I remember some discussion about it, but not the details.

echoMateria fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jan 2, 2015

echoMateria
Aug 29, 2012

Fruitbat Factory
Played Imperial Assault for the first time today and everyone had so much fun that we only played it the whole day. As the Imperial player, I won the worthless tutorial mission and lost the Introduction and first Side Mission, barely at the last moments. Highly recommended.

echoMateria
Aug 29, 2012

Fruitbat Factory

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Quite surprised to see the Shadowrun game near the very top of Rahdos top games

I guess I should check out the video. He usually goes for non-confrontational euros that play well with 2 and I have heard squat about the Shadowrun game.

Edit: hmm he really likes Death Angel, too. So I guess his thing is non-confrontational euros and super hard co-op games. Surprised he doesn't like the LotR LCG more but the core set alone is kind of weak compared to the expansion quests and bigger card pool

I remember that they loved LotR but I guess it kinda got left out of top 10 due to the need of buying tons of expansions to keep it going compared to random setup games like Shadowrun. He is a retired game designer and has a limited budget, so they pick and chose what to invest in. (at least that was his excuse, in reality, he just loves buying new games too much ;))

echoMateria
Aug 29, 2012

Fruitbat Factory

Lichtenstein posted:

Had any goons had some experience with Assault on Doomrock? It seems to have a few nice ideas, but then again it seems to have the same old tired fantasy humor as certain game this thread does not appreciate and I'm conditioned to instinctively distrust :poland: games.

Had a chance to play it once so far and I loved it. I have tried almost every RPG-proxy board & card games and until I got Imperial Assault, Assault on Doomrock was the one I had the most fun. I liked the abstract combat positioning mechanics it had and the way it used the yahtzee method of rolling dice and then placing them on various skills you have to activate them. The humor in it is mostly subtle and I appreciate it for that as well.

Check out Rahdo's video about it for more details: https://boardgamegeek.com/video/47375/assault-doomrock/rahdo-runs-through-assault-doomrock

echoMateria
Aug 29, 2012

Fruitbat Factory

QnoisX posted:

So is Legendary Encounters worth it? I was checking it out and it seems pretty neat. But since it's a deck builder, card sleeves are pretty much required. Even the reviews say as much. Is it worth around $85 for the game and sleeves? I've played Legendary, but do not own it. The option to mix the two together for added replay isn't really an option. Unless I bought Legendary as well. I doubt I'll be buying Legendary though. While it's not a bad game, I just don't feel like a superhero fighting villains. I much prefer Sentinels for that, even if the art isn't as pretty. Although, at least the art isn't repeated over and over and over. That was another issue I had with Legendary. They have decades of art to pull from and yet they repeat the same images. Other than that, it's pretty decent. I usually think of myself as a Shield agent directing a group of heroes to fight for me, considering you start with only Shield agents and work your way up. Actually that's why Fury is my pick when we're selecting decks.

Anyway, from what I've seen, the Alien theme meshes better in the Encounters game. You actually feel like the Aliens are after you. You also work as a team with cooperative actions, instead of just doing your own thing. Only thing stopping your teamwork is the hidden agendas and someone dying to a Facehugger and being an Alien player. Well..that or you all dying horribly. Either way, sounds like good times. Of course I haven't played it. So how far off am I? Is it really just terrible and all hype? Already asking around with my gaming group to see if they want to play it, but thought I'd ask here for hopefully opinions of people that have played it already. Thanks.

Me and my friend who bought it had high expectations (he has all Legendary stuff) and we liked it even more than expected. It is nowhere as solid as a deck builder as Dominion of course, but it is a tense co-op with a working deck builder system.

Even though we have all Legendary stuff, I wouldn't think of combining it with anything else. It is a personal preference really. Some might want to have Wolverine fighting against aliens, but we like keeping the game in a theme closer to the Alien movies rather than aim a comic book mash-up.

Rexides posted:

This is what happens when your game divorces mechanics from theme. Please design responsibly.

e: Assault on Doomrock looks awesome, please tell me what the catch is and why I shouldn't buy it. PS. I already own Mage Knight, how does it compare to that?

They are quite different. Assault on Doomrock feels like a much smaller card game when you compare. Mage Knight is more like Heroes of Might and Magic the boardgame, while Assault on Doomrock is like older, mostly text based RPGs. One is designed by Vlaada and published by an established toy publisher, the other is a self published game by a first time designer. So it is not as polished or high budget but it does things cleverly different and looks good enough visually to be a game that I'm glad that I own. Both has a very long play time though.

echoMateria
Aug 29, 2012

Fruitbat Factory

Fat Samurai posted:

It's basically Legendary Marvel, right? For me, Alien is Ripley running a lot, not Hicks blasting aliens with a shotgun. :(

You play scenarios on Encounters and those are much more specific in what happens and when compared to the regular Legendary Schemes. They are split into stages that you need to clear before time runs out and Aliens stick around attacking each turn. Every player plays a stereotypical character has has some stuff that they are better at by the means of a unique card in their deck and a special ability. There are also cards that you can play on your teammates turn to assist their actions.

First scenario is the first movie and it is quite hard, second is the second movie (not surprisingly) and it involves a lot more shooting, like the second movie had.

But no, the characters you play and the stuff you do are more along the lines of "Hicks blasting aliens with a shotgun." than "Ripley running a lot". In Legendary Encounters you just blast those f*****s or at least you try to, and die miserably instead. There are ways to tweak the difficulty to suit your team though, like playing a round without enemies showing up as a means of preparation.

If "running away helpless from horrors" is what you seek, there are games like Level 7 [Escape] that does it. But everyone hates that game. Maybe others can recommend an alternative?

echoMateria
Aug 29, 2012

Fruitbat Factory

QnoisX posted:

Well that's good to know. My group really enjoys playing co-op games. Not sure if I could get them to play with the agendas since some of them seem to hate BSG, but the base game sounds good. Is the Alien deck optional or does that always happen if someone dies to a facehugger? I actually don't like playing Dominion with the group since 2 of them own it and have played it a bunch, so it basically comes down to them knowing which cards to pick and me just waiting for them to win so we can play a different game. My buddy that has all of the Legendary stuff lives over 2 hours away, so mixing it in wouldn't be an option much, so I suppose not having the desire to do so is a plus.

Btw, Coolstuff just got Legendary Encounters back in stock. Of course they did, they want me to spend money. Suburbia looks like a pretty good game too, is the expansion worth it to start out with or would that be something you'd want to add in later? I need $10+ to get free shipping. I wish the Space Alert expansion was an option, but I can't get them to play the base game. I guess they don't like losing. Plus one guy wants to rush through and fill up his actions before we even get all of the threats flipped. Instead of working with the group he seems to focus on one threat and try to handle it on his own. He's also the guy that always acts like a Cylon during BSG and basically makes it really hard to use Executive Orders. Last time I got them to play BSG was from winning the Coup game where the winner picked the next game. So first turn he brigged a player that hadn't even gone yet instead of losing 5 cards. She wasn't a Cylon and it took 2 rounds and much more than 5 cards to get her out and pissed her off. He also refused to help get her out, "because she's a Cylon". After not playing into several other crisis, he was executed by the player using Cally and of course he's human. Either way, humans lost to morale at least 2 jumps from victory when the President threw the game by playing something that dropped the morale from 1 to 0 because he wanted it to end. The President player then announced he would never play the game again and I can't blame him I guess. He was the only new player and had been playing as a pilot with no CACs the first two jumps. Oh well, sorry for the rant.

It is optional for a dying player to continue playing on the opposite side as an alien. It is an alternative to player elimination and I'm glad for it, but you can just not use it if you don't want.

I'd recommend getting Suburbia if you want Sim City the boardgame. You should grab the expansion too, it completes the game. I can't imagine playing without. Just play without it once, until you get the workings of the game. Afterwards, you can even introduce new people to the game with it, it's very light in complexity.

echoMateria
Aug 29, 2012

Fruitbat Factory

Azran posted:

EDIT: Which reminds me! Has anyone here played Diskwars? poo poo, so many interesting games and so little money.

Warhammer Diskwars is the better (arguably) and 100 times cheaper and less time consuming method of playing Warhammer Fantasy. Take it or leave it at that. I like it, but the guy I play 2 player games with prefers to play Netrunner and Tash-Kalar over it and any other wargame/skirmish game. (I want to play Mage Wars too T_T)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echoMateria
Aug 29, 2012

Fruitbat Factory
Any opinions on Roll for the Galaxy so far?