Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012
Is there a consensus on smash up because I played like 4 games of it and it seems super bad.
And boring.
Like, you draw your cards and it's very obviously one thing for you to do so you do that and then you draw more cards and oh some points oh you won.

Also Zombies and Wizards seem super good compared to the other factions.
Also also one of the expansions [the friend who brought it has 2/3 I think?] adds mechanics that are wholly exclusive to the expansion cards, if that makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012
What's the deal with Machi Koro's expansions?
My regular crew absolutely love it and while it's kinda light for my tastes, maybe the expansions would help with that a bit?

Only apparently they're out, just not in the UK or.. Something? Or maybe it's a different, earlier edition or, what?

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012

Guy A. Person posted:

Also, the game has been out for a few years in Japan, so I believe 2 expansions are out there (or maybe the second is coming?), but only the base game has been released in the west, with the first expansion coming eventually.

Thanks for the expansion writeups.
I suppose if I care enough I can just proxy all the expansion cards.

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012

There's also a dice you roll often which has a 1/16 [or so] chance of immediately killing you.
BL hits the nail on the head though, it really does go on for waaay too long.

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012
Is Dungeon Petz : Dark Alleys getting a reprint anytime soon?
It's 3x more costly than the base game and I can only find it online.

Also did only Z-Man games publish it because I know Czech had to reprint Tash themselves or something.

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012

Ojetor posted:

I bought Dark Alleys from the Warstore while ordering miniatures on Black Friday. They're not well known among boardgamers since they primarily sell miniatures, but they're an excellent online store with pretty good service. They still have it in stock for $27 + shipping

Oh neat, thanks! Guess I only have to feel bad now if they make an anniversary addition of petz too.

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012
I play most of my board games in a pub, in public. Which has been the limiting factor in getting Space Alert.
And assuming I know nothing of Space Alert other than 'It's good' and 'It needs its soundtrack', would there be any way to mitigate the soundtrack thing?

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012

Tekopo posted:

To be honest, I tried to do the Pub Space Alert thing and it just doesn't work. You can have someone read out the soundtrack but you still need to be able to hear stuff. The App does have everything on the screen but its still better to hear stuff rather than read it from a screen.

Chomp8645 posted:

Agreeing with Tekopo. If you can only play in a pub then just skip it. Playing Space Alert in a pub sounds like a great way to be a group of loud, obnoxious fuckwads for everyone else in the building to hate, and trying to play it quiet just won't really work.

Aye, I guess my initial judgment was right. Thanks thread.

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012

Bosushi! posted:

I'd even take another diatribe about how Battlecon is better than Yomi because it has a million characters over D&D edition wars.

Battlecon is better than Yomi. :colbert:

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012
You know what's a more exciting than Dominion: Adventures, though? The long-presumed-dead Arctic Scavengers expansion "Recon" (previously titled "Deception") is coming out this year!

This one's a crazy story. So, Dominon comes out in 2008. It's great. Arctic Scavengers comes out in 2009 and takes that deck-building mechanic and fixes two problems with Dominon, adding a fantastic theme and plenty of player interaction. Such is the cycle of life in board gaming.

Except something goes wrong. Arctic Scavengers is forgotten by the market and publisher Rio Grande finds it has thousands of copies gathering dust in its warehouses.

lol

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012
So what's the consensus of Cosmic Encounter?

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012

Lord Frisk posted:

Random mess

Thanks.

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012

Indolent Bastard posted:

Even as a non-anime watcher I can appreciate what you've made. It may not be precisely my cup of tea but I'd give it a go if it landed on my group's table.

Yeah, this. Good luck BL, I really hope it goes well.

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012
Tried out some new games yesterday, so I may as well give them a writeup.

Epic Spellswars Of Too many Words And Look, a skull : It never ended, it's one of the few games I've just left midway through because I was so done and it just wouldn't, ever, end. I mean, looking at it you'd think it could be a cute way to spend 30 minutes, the art's nice and the mechanics are simple but it just never ends. I don't know how long we were there, but I left after my 4th round and when I came back to that table they were still playing even with someone deliberately trying to just end the game. Good lord. Also dicerolling and player elimination. Dripping with theme. In all fairness, the guy who brought it said he was looking forwards to Exploding Cats so that should've been a pretty big warning sign.

Shadow Hunters Also I think they had the expansion? : Probably worse than Epic Spellwars? You just roll dice, there's about as many decisions to be made as Monopoly and amazingly the gameboards uglier than monopoly too. I was a hunter and just randomly hit someone who immediately kicked up such a fuss that I knew they were the shadow. They were. Roll to move, roll to attack, roll dice and get some cards and apparently 4 people out of the 6 playing won. Yawn. Also, player elimination and dices. Goddamn.

I also played good games but I don't think Tash Kalar needs any more praise. Tash is good.

e: also how's eclipse someone brought it but it didn't get played and I wanted to try it.

AMooseDoesStuff fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Jan 29, 2015

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012

Indolent Bastard posted:

3-5 players maximum

I think we were playing with 6 which might be the maximum cap? And I'm pretty sure everyone got to be last wizard once so the game really did run on to its match point. I still liked it more than Shadow Hunters at least.

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012

Jedit posted:

Failfly: the Game

Lol, nice burn. Epic fail.

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012
How much replay value does Tragedy looper have though?

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012

Countblanc posted:

Assuming you play with the same people for every game and have zero interest in making your own scenarios (which the game comes with detailed instructions for), you'd get 10 plays out of it. Which, considering its price, is still a pretty good value. The biggest issue for TL and playability, in my opinion, is that it's very difficult to have a combination of experienced and new players.

Yeah, this is the thing stopping me from getting Tragedy Looper then. Thanks.

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012

Dulkor posted:

Got to try out my copy of Argent tonight.

Is this game ever gonna be availalbe in stores? [UK stores especially.] or is it only through their website/CSI or so on?

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012
All of this Argent talk makes me really want it, but international shipping costs more than the game itself [$71 for a $60 game.] and my two local board game stores haven't even heard of it. :britain:

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012

rchandra posted:

Also, "Knockdown" and "Restore" being indistinguishable except by red/green colour seems bad (the up/down direction won't be preserved after making a token).

I'd just put pips on one of them, two dots below the arrow part on say, restore and then have Knockdown be dotless.

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012

Gimnbo posted:

I'm also thinking of getting Dungeons Petz but need some input as to how easy it is to trick encourage people who don't regularly play heavier games into it. I'm talking Lords of Waterdeep level and below. The theme is probably super appealing for the majority of geeks so I'm wondering if it makes it that much easier to keep people's attention.

Good loving luck. Lordz is a incredible game, no doubt. But it's so frontloaded if the only experience most of your group has had is Waterdeep they're gonna check out.
Still, I'd buy it on the off chance you get to play it. And if you can convince someone else to learn to play, it's a bit easier to get others in on it.

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012
Jedit's the one with the Goatee, Rutibex's wrongness is cute and endearing, Jedit's wrongness is just infuriating.
Never change Rubitex. :3:

I'm kinda worried about Argent taking up so much space, as we're lucky to fit Petz on the table. Granted, that's a ful game.
Still, my shop says they should have it in about a fortnight so maybe enough reviews will have come in to better make up my mind. :britain:

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012
I've always confused Catan and Agricola, but all the talk about it in the thread makes me think I've been needlessly cruel to Agricola.

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012
So what're the problems with DC Deckbuilder? I've never played it, but a guy at my weekly games night raves about it.
Any massively degenerate strategies or just poor design all around?

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012

ThisIsNoZaku posted:

Oh boy, I loving hate that game. This is way late but gently caress it, I want to poo poo on this game.

Everyone I know who's into it are, or were, hardcore into Magic.

Oh hey this was a good post. And yeah, the guy who raves about it is MASSIVELY into magic. Thanks for that.

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012
Does anyone know how good Lvl99 games are at stuff like broken components?
I got Argent earlier today and one of the bases is broken off. I just stuck it on a neutral mage so it's really unlikely to come up in game but still.

I'd take a picture, but I don't have my phone untill wednesday.

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012

4outof5 posted:

I had a issue with a level 99 order once and brad himself answered the phone and took care of my issue.

Oh drat, I'll definitely try and get a photo when my phone's back from repairs then.

Also yes, I got very confused and thought I had two less than I should've too. The mysticism mages look more beige than the bright yellow neutrals, but that's not nearly as big a deal.

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012
Honestly I'm just kinda amazed that DVX and Sirlin get into slapfights on an internet forum.
I'm pretty sure Sirlin's scummy, but all I know about him is the Fighting Game community stuff. :shrug:

Also played a 3 hour and a half game of Argent whiich was probably the longest game ever played in one sitting at this pub.. I swear we could've cut down on like half an hour if this one guy didn't keep taking smoke breaks. Everyone enjoyed, Argent is good. I'd buy the expansion if it was possible to find it in Wales.

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012

Malloreon posted:

Has anyone developed/found a good tool for drumming up local trades/sales? I am allergic to shipping costs and want to get rid of/exchange a ton of games.

It looks like BGG's rudimentary API doesn't let you retrieve user locations even if they're public.

Garage Sales and Flea Markets?

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012

Lorini posted:

No one wants to be first in our games, you rarely keep what you get, so there's little point in it.

I find if there are immediate effects on the board then you DEFINITELY want to go first.
Especailly if one of those is 'Place a TemporaryMage in a room, and then lock that room.' whiich I think is the B side of the Golem Room?
Either way being the only one to draft a supporter that round is just nasty.

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012
What are some good medium Length games?

I've got Coup, Skull and Love Letter and even Masquarade for Light Games. Like, these play at 15 minutes tops usually.
And I've got stuff like Dungeon Petz and Argent and all sorts of others for 2 hour+ games.

While I do have a bunch of card games like Netrunner or Conquest which can take up a half hour toan hour the fact that they're 1v1 only limits their playtime at Game Night.
Soo, what're some good 'medium weight' games.

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012
Thanks for all the suggestions. I actually do have a couple of those, Tash + 7 Wonders notably. I guess we're just getting a bit bored of those.
So I'll probably pick up Galaxy Trucker.

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012
The real deckbuilder question is:
Does Puzzlestrike play better with cards or chips?

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012

Toshimo posted:

I always set aside the top card of my opponent's deck, riffle the rest thoroughly, then carefully put the set aside card back on top.

Why?

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012

Tekopo posted:

psychological warfare, the game starts way before you even open the box, man

i feel like ive taken the red pill now
This changes everything.

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012
Riffle shuffle is bad and you should feel bad.

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012
We only managed to play babies first Game in Galaxy Trucker but it went down really well.
Galaxy trucker is good, y'all.

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012

Hackjack posted:

I'm going to be travelling with non-gaming coworkers so we'll be spending extended periods of time in buses and hotels, and I've been asked to prepare some games-based entertainment for when our electronics run out of batteries in between periods of passing out.

Coup, I play it on a train constantly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012
What are the Resistance expansions and what do they add?