Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
Had a chance to play a 3-player game of Lagoon over the weekend. I still don't think that I've unlocked the potential of this game. Maybe we just had a bad string of tiles, but overall it felt like we weren't using the tile actions very much. I want to like this game a lot, but I'm just struggling to have a good experience with it and I can't quite put my finger on why.

Also got in my first game of Caylus. Thankfully the other players did their best to speed up the game. It's not that I didn't like it, I did, I just wasn't prepared to sit down and hurt my brain this time, but rather just get a little sampling of how the game functioned. I'm looking forward to my next play of it, and there seems to be quite a bit to digest.

The highlight, though, was the 10 or so games of Temporum that we got in. 2, 3, and 4 player all worked very well, and the 2 player games I played were especially enjoyable and really had that knife-fight quality to them that I look for. At no point did it feel like I was playing solitaire (which sometimes happens in Dominion). I've really fallen in love with this game and I can't wait to see what sort of things are planned for the inevitable expansion. My favorite moment of the weekend was during a 2 player game with Cybernetics Age out (where you can copy blue cards you have in front of you). I ended up with 3 copies of the one that lets you draw a card when you score, and 2 copies of the one that reduces scoring costs. I kept scoring 4 crown cards for free till I had a 12 point Barbarian Horde (discard cards to advance crowns) finisher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
So this week I've decided to take on a challenge. Recently, I had a chance to play the X-Wing miniatures game. I was a bit underwhelmed, and I couldn't exactly describe why. For some reason it just didn't have that certain something that I was looking for. I'm not willing to dismiss it outright, since a friend was teaching he gave me a predetermined group of ships and pilots and I think that some of the fun of the game is constructing that sort of stuff on your own.

In what would seem like completely unrelated news, some friends of mine ended up with 3 copies of the new D&D Attack Wing game for the holidays. They're going to return one copy and keep the other two, and they also have a very nice selection of the ground units and expansion packs. I was watching them play last week and it looked alright, but then it hit me.

TIE FIGHTERS VS DRAGONS

I mean, why *wouldn't* you try to combine these things? So, I'm going to borrow spare copies of both rulebooks and attempt to figure out a way to mesh the two games.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

Madmarker posted:

It could be worse, he could be playing Munchkin against Humanity.

Munchkin Against Humanity: Cthulhu Dice Edition

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

LuiCypher posted:

Why are you posting this here? Shouldn't you be making a Kickstarter with an idea like this? You'd be rolling in piles of dumb nerd money faster than you can finish saying the title.

I actually designed a dumb card game revolving around pirates, ninjas, zombies, and robots. I had a few friends who really liked it, enough to offer to help finance it, but in the end I shelved it because I wasn't a huge fan of how it played, plus the artwork was going to be a big hurdle.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

sonatinas posted:

Didn't stop Ascension or Sentinels of the Multiverse.

Yeah, but if I'm going to make a lovely game, I at least want the artwork to be distracting enough.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

Gimnbo posted:

How similar was it to Smash Up? You may have missed a raft of money there.

Not that similar. I designed it for 4 players, each player had one faction and started with 100 "units" (score, life, whatever). Each card had two abilities, one that only a certain faction could use, and one that anyone could use (thus, you were never stuck with cards that weren't useful in some capacity). If you hit zero "units" you are eliminated, and you can't go over 100 unless you're the zombies. So basically it's a "Take That" Nerd Bait Player Elimination game. Maybe it could have made some money, but would I be able to live with myself afterwards?

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

Poison Mushroom posted:

Probably in a swimming pool of $100 bills.

Maybe I'll dust off my prototype and tinker with it once work slows down.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
My FLGS had 25% off today, so after checking in with my GF (I'm on a game-buying ban so I don't spoil Christmas), I picked up Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective for 31 bucks. I'm pretty excited, even though I probably won't be able to crack it open till after the holidays.

Also got a few more games of Temporum in and I really need to get some card sleeves sometime soon. I've also started to notice a strange tendency for people to stick to the left side of the board a bit more. I'm wondering if there is some sort of psychological effect from starting on that side. Maybe I'll try reversing all of the time levers for a few games and see if people stay more on the right side.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

Lorini posted:

Hey, I'll be playing Cyclades and Cyclades Titan soon. Any hints/help out there?

I can't speak for Titans since I haven't had a chance to play it yet, but Cyclades, much like Kemet, is over before you'd expect it to be.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

PRADA SLUT posted:

Agricola is the pinnacle of boring achievement.

I seriously think Uwe's next game is going to be about watching paint dry.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

Fat Turkey posted:

Do you think it adds enough to the base game to be worth getting over another game? Genuine question, not loaded. The additions looks interesting but by the looks of it you'd only play the Tower or the Projects and they just add another consideration when selecting cards. Which has big consequences and all but doesn't look that game altering.

I'm not a huge fan of the Babel expansion (haven't tried the Projects, just the tower). We regularly play with both Leaders and Cities, and while those give you extra things to do and help provide direction to your strategy, I feel like Babel gives you too much. To me, it added a bit too much complication to a game that was actually pretty elegant. I'll try it out a few more times just to make sure, but I'm not in any kind of rush to do so.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

S.J. posted:

Samurai Spirit already came out, but they didn't publish enough in the first print run.

I snagged a copy last week and it's actually pretty drat cool. Haven't beat it yet, but I really like how it plays. Haven't had an issue with quarterbacking yet, but as with all co-ops I can see where it could happen.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

Tekopo posted:

If you found Gric too dry (and are burnt out on Euros in general), don't buy Terra Mystica.

I find Gric to be boring and dry, but I absolutely love Terra Mystica and will gladly play it as often as my group will allow.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
I have the best girlfriend ever. My birthday is New Year's Eve, and I never make a big deal about it. My various groups of friends always have their own plans set up, so each year I usually pick one group to hang out with, maybe get a cake, but it's mostly about celebrating the holiday. A few months ago, our gaming group that meets every Wednesday decided to do a New Year's Eve party, and unbeknownst to me, they decided to include a surprise birthday party for me. My gf got a bunch of my friends from our various groups to come out, organized a ton of great food, and decorated in a Galaxy Trucker themed way, complete with 4 tables set up for a mini-tournament. We had roughly 30 people show up and it was incredible amount of fun and I was really touched that people cared enough about little ole me to make it all happen.

Also our friend who does cakes professionally donated one of the most amazing cakes I have ever seen (and tasted):

Vlaada would be impressed. Also I got the Galaxy Trucker Anniversary edition, which I am very excited to try out in the near future.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

fozzy fosbourne posted:

edit: Bgg forums/reviews require a high level of bullshit-sifting to get any use out of. Signal to noise is pretty bad, there are a lot of weird people who's favorite game in the world is some janky thing and they probably wear shirts made out of human hair

Especially true if you go against the grain, so to speak. My only interaction with using those forums was to jump in and defend a friend of mine who posted some negative thoughts on Dead of Winter when it first came out. They were calling us liars, poor gamers, etc, basically jumping down our throats because we were simply presenting a few (of the many) valid criticisms of that game.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
As much as I loathe Cards Against Humanity, I would totally play with Aisha Tyler.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

Echophonic posted:

I may or may not have a copy of Roll for the Galaxy coming in from my FLGS. They said they'd do it, but I didn't have confirmation and they didn't take any info. So we'll see. If they don't have it ordered at least, I'll probably do Amazon and save 15 bucks.

It's bad, try before you buy. I'm gonna do a larger write up tomorrow, but basically I couldn't find any reason to play it over normal Race.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
It's been a few weeks since I did some impressions, so here is what I've been playing lately:

Temporum continues to see a lot of plays, but catching up is Samurai Spirit. It can suffer from quarterbacking as all co-ops can, but it hasn't been a problem in my group. I've played this one about 6 or 7 times so far, with varying group sizes, and it *seems* to work well at any size, but I'm worried about taking too many cards out of the deck with fewer players. Also we're really bad at this game, as we haven't made it to the end of the third wave yet (and had a few games that ended at the end of the second wave). I do need to look up some rules clarifications on BGG though, as we always seem to have something come up that isn't explicitly covered in the rules.

I was able to get in 1 session of 4 player Panamax, and my initial impression is fairly positive. There's a lot going on in the game, but once it gets going it's not too bad. It also seemed short, despite the game taking a while to play out. Unfortunately we messed up a rule early on (allowing more than one dice on a ship during a placement), which gave a huge advantage to the first two players since they were able to load up the San Juan and push it through on round 1. We fixed the rule but didn't want to go back to the start of the game. I'm pretty sure it made a big difference, but it'll take another play for me to figure out for sure. There's a lot of interesting mechanics at work in this one, however I was really disappointed at the end when our hidden scoring cards were revealed. There are a couple that are flat-out better than the others, and not by a small amount. I was expecting a little bit better from a game of this caliber, but it's not enough to dissuade me from playing again. I'll probably end up just house-ruling the problem cards.

Last night I got a chance to try out Spyrium. I won, by a large margin, and I'm still trying to figure out how exactly I did that. It's an interesting game, but I'll need a few more plays before I'm willing to call it a good game. Not a fan of the steampunk theme, but I can overlook that if the game under the hood is worthwhile.

And oh, oh oh.... Roll For The Galaxy. I was excited for this one, as I love both arcs of Race. Holy poo poo, what a letdown. At the start of the game, you get two tiles to start your tableau, a size 1 and a size 2. At that point you're pretty much locked into whatever strategy you are dealt. There are 9 different size 2 tiles, and the game supports up to 5 people. Why the gently caress would they not include a 10th tile and let you pick from 2? One of my initial concerns with Race that was addressed through expansions was being able to look at your starting hand as well as starting planets before making decisions on what to keep. Why wouldn't there be a similar mechanism in the dice game?

The game is also... kinda boring. Not that Race is particularly exciting, but at least it feels fast-paced and I never feel like I'm really struggling to do things. I'm never more than a turn away from drawing enough cards to put out whatever planet or development is sitting in my hand. But in Roll, getting additional dice is a struggle, let alone getting the dice you want, which you have to just luckbox into through exploration. Sure, that planet you have available would help a ton, but it might be 3 turns before you are able to settle it.

With Race, I always feel like I'm on the road to *somewhere*, and even if I don't know where that somewhere is, I'm making progress towards it. With Roll I felt like I was stuck in traffic and eventually, mercifully, succumbed to carbon monoxide poisoning as the game ended.

I can't think of any reason why I would ever play Roll instead of Race.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

Gimnbo posted:

How many people were you playing with? I'm trying to evaluate my copy since I've only gotten to play it once so far. It was 2 players and I pulled ahead on the last turn by 2 points. I've heard that the number of players changes the nature of the game, with money becoming less of a concern the more players you add. I bought the game hoping to use it as a trojan horse to get people in my group into meatier games.

5 players. I had the tech that lets you re-use a building, and the building that gives 15 points for 2 workers and 5 green. I was able to use that building 3 times over the last 2 turns, which is what did it for me.

Also, it's a game that could potentially induce AP in some players. As awesome as my gf is, the more games she plays, the more AP prone she has become. I feel like I need to be a lot more delicate when telling her to speed up as opposed to most of my friends.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
My FLGS was doing a 1:1 trade in on any gift cards in exchange for their own gift cards. I had about 100 bucks of unused ones that I traded in, picked up Keyflower and saving the rest for a rainy day. My list of "games that I have purchased but have not made it to the table" is growing rather rapidly, I think I need to take a break from buying.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

CodfishCartographer posted:

What's the thread consensus on King's Forge? I played a game of it over the weekend and had a pretty fun time, but we only played a single game so didn't really have a lot of time to get a solid read on it.

I bought it out of curiosity and it's not too bad. Good component quality, easy to explain, doesn't overstay it's welcome. I backed the expansion recently because it looks like it could add some depth, but I'm not unhappy with the base game by any means.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

Durendal posted:

Played Lords of Waterdeep (w/ expansion) for the first time. I enjoyed it, but I think I only won because of a couple well timed intrigue cards messing with my opponent. Despite that, I thought Lords was a pretty good game, I won't buy it, but I won't mind playing it if offered.

However, one thing I did gleam while we were tearing down was that the expansion is a mandatory part of the game.

The expansion does make it a better game, however I would recommend taking out two problematic cards. The first is the "Open Lord" intrigue card, and the second is the "Xanathar" lord card. One of these days I'll actually come up with some house rules to fix them, but I don't really play enough to put that much effort into it at the moment.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
Speaking of Xia, I'm playing it at some point over the next week or two. How do I break it?

Normally I wouldn't set out to break a game on the first playthrough, but the guy who owns it always buys these types of games and refuses to acknowledge any criticisms about their design. He's a super nice guy, but he just doesn't seem to grasp that there can be design flaws in games. He likes Galaxy Trucker as much as he likes Sentinels or Legendary, and Coup just as much as Bang: The Dice version.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
I'm not sure I'm willing to stoop so low as to argue clear rules just to try and roll more d20s (unless the rules actually are a shitfest and unclear). I was hoping to hear suggestions about specific game-breaking strategies or tips.

For example, in Merchants and Marauders, don't be a Marauder.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

medchem posted:

I already own and enjoy Caverna. Is there any reason to get Tzolkin, and if so, is the expansion mandatory?

Tzolkin, to me, is a middle of the road worker placement with awesome components and production value. However, the expansion did fix a lot of the major flaws that I saw in the game, and overall it's turned into one of my favorites of the genre.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

Pander posted:

Rules question: The mastermind handbook for the script has a brief write-up describing the setup written in second person. Is it supposed to be read aloud to the protagonists? It seems like it would give them a tremendous heads up regarding the threats heading their way if so.

I had thought it was when I first tried it out, but it turns out that no, they go in completely blind with no description or anything.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

Echophonic posted:

So I picked up Roll for the Galaxy last night. And for once, a misprint was in the positive direction and I had a duplicate sheet of locations. The component quality is very nice, though, in true Race fashion, the rules are kind of opaque. I'll post more when I finally get to play it.

I'll be interested in hearing some other opinions on it. I want to give it another shot or two, since I was pretty hyped for this game, but I'm worried that the flaws I found won't disappear.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
I'm touching the poop and about to start an argument on the SU&SD comments section about why Tom Vasel is bad for the future of board games.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

Impermanent posted:

Yessss do it maybe I'll help.

This is actually really hard to do without using the words autistic, grognard, or basement-troll.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
Apparently doing something for free grants you the eternal gratitude of everyone and makes you free from criticism. Doubly so if you were the first person to do it.

Also I'm supposed to feel bad about criticizing Vasel because that is a petty thing to do.

What a bunch of horseshit.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

goodness posted:

Link to this?

http://www.shutupandsitdown.com/blog/post/games-news-020215/

Comments section.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
A friend of mine who is fairly new to the hobby loves watching Dice Tower reviews and always ends up buying lovely games. I'm fairly certain there is a correlation there.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

Tekopo posted:

I did laugh at that, I must admit.

It's funny till you realize that the original guy who said it was being serious.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

Bubble-T posted:

I've read a million board game review sites and bgg blogs and this forum is by far the most useful source for actual reviews of games, largely because there's a bunch of people commenting and we're not afraid to poo poo on a game.

Every the I find a new site I think I like it turns out they gave Xia or Star Realms a glowing review or something :(

Seriously this. I'm done with the SU&SD comments section, after basically being called an internet monster for criticizing Vasel. I guess I'm too "negative" for those boards, which I didn't realize had basically become tumblr.

I trust a lot of the opinions on here, and I feel that I can give honest critiques and impressions of games without having to pull punches.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

disperse posted:

Merchants & Marauders is very divisive, I love it but some gamers I've played it with (and some on this thread) dislike or hate it.

It's an thematic Ameritrash pirate game, the Sid Meier's Pirates! comparison is apt. I love the freedom it gives the player. A couple flaws: the glory cards include a few that negate player actions (I attack your ship, no you don't I escape) and the port actions are long and complex. I was thinking about printing out a step-by-step guide for port actions for the next time I play.

It seems like being a pirate was incredibly rough as you get locked out of things pretty quickly. Has that been your experience or was I (probably) playing it incorrectly?

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

Zveroboy posted:

Finished off the night with Hollywood, a drafting style game much like 7 Wonders where you make movies instead of civilisations. Every movie has to have at least a Script, a Director and a Actor/Actress, and you can add on extra film crew for more benefits and points. What gets you the big points though is matching the symbols across your cards. If your script is a horror movie for example, you'd do best getting a director and actors who also have those symbols (i.e. they specialise in horror movies). Number of symbols (that match your script) squared is the points you get so they can ramp up quickly. If you get a "gently caress this gay hand" round there are "Worthless Scripts" and "Stand-in Directors" you can take at any time from the middle. These will allow you to make a movie if luck of the draw denies you a script or director, but they also come without symbols so they're more a consolation prize than anything.

I'm kinda curious to try this because I have been tinkering with a very similar game, just not drafting. There really is a lack of good movie industry-related games that aren't pure trivia.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

Indolent Bastard posted:

Any thoughts on Sheriff of Nottingham? I like what I see, but I wonder how it holds up over repeated plays?

The scoring mechanism is a bit wonky and perhaps needs to be rebalanced, but the gameplay is 100% dependent on your group of players. I can totally see where it would "click" with the right people (ie- people who are willing to get into the theme and wheel and deal), but sadly my plays with it were with some strangers who didn't seem interested in that part at all.

I really want to get it, but I'm not sure I can justify it when there are other games out there that I could get that I know would go over better.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
The downside: My FLGS has The Dungeon Lords Anniversary edition while I'm still waiting on mine.

The upside: They also had Bunny Bunny Moose Moose in stock and so now I own that.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

Fungah! posted:

Are you in America?

Yup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

Fungah! posted:

And they definitely had it at your FLGS? Because last I heard it hadn't cleared customs yet

Yeah, it was the new Anniversary Edition. This was in the Detroit area, not sure about other parts of the country. Perhaps there are other distributors importing and reselling copies from overseas?

Edit: They also had a fresh shipment of Dungeon Petz and Dark Alleys, as well as the aforementioned Bunny Bunny.