Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

jeeves posted:

I know Munchkin is kind of eyeroll for most board game veterans, but my wife really liked the idea of buying the Adventure Time version. Anyone know any good rule modifications to make the game like snappier and less drag on for loving forever like most Munchkin games? I'm worried she'll absolutely hate it the first time she tries playing it.

Rule modifications besides just not playing it I mean.

Just buy the Cryptozoic Adventure Time card game. It's not really a shining jewel but it's leagues better than Munchkin.

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/144728/adventure-time-card-wars-finn-vs-jake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Trynant posted:

I don't really think the mechanics overload is inherently bad, so there's most likely bias with what I'm about to say. The first play of Argent I had I couldn't tell if it all its mechanics came together into something worthwhile or was just a mess of ideas crushed together. After a few plays I'm confident there is a richness here that does benefit from its complexity. There was already the point made of INT and WIS counters having a reason for being separate.

As I recall though, you've got a high tolerance for that sort of thing... I know you like Vihnos and I'd rather eat a skunk corpse than play that game. It would also really help if I had a playgroup where I could be sure somebody wouldn't take 5 minute turns and drag the game down.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Lorini posted:

I love Argent Consortium. Crackbone said he had issues with it, issues I don't have. But what he didn't say is that it's over too fast.

Got it?

In terms of actual game length, god help me (but again, it was a game with a dude who was taking 3+ minutes per turn). In terms of rounds, I would agree - another round or two would let some engines start and potentially do interesting things.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Echophonic posted:

Anyway, I'm planning on getting Argent to the table this week. Any tips for first time players or teaching it?

There's a rewritten rulebook on BGG - it's not official but it's much better organized and covers a lot of things you'd typically get wrong in a play through.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

I keep hearing good things about homeland but it's all from bgg echo chamber right now. Sounds great on paper though.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Dr. VooDoo posted:

How does Cthulhu Wars compare to Chaos in the Old World? Both seem similar in design but which is the better game overall? I haven't seen anything about Cthulhu Wars since it came out

CitOW is $60 retail. CW is $200. CW does not have $140 worth of better gameplay in it.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

jeeves posted:

As much as I love cyber-punk dystopias, man why did I have to randomly find out that the first edition of Coup had such nice stylized Renaissance portraits instead? Now I want that edition even though it's just an art difference :(

nvm

Crackbone fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Apr 4, 2015

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

EvilChameleon posted:

This is the best news. And $12? Why the gently caress would I not buy it? He even found a graphic designer that isn't total garbage (I'm looking at you, Impulse).

Well, it only supports 3 players, you need two sets for more than that. But otherwise, yeah $12 is pretty awesome.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Stop the presses somebody is iterating on good ideas, guess we should just go back to Catan since it was first.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Guy A. Person posted:

Yeah comparing Dominion in its current state to Temporum in its current state is probably unfair. I think base Temporum is much more solid than base Dominion, and it's obviously due to DXV's growth as a designer. I don't think it has the depth to reach Dominion levels even with expansions, because I don't think new zone cards/player cards will have the impact that new kingdom cards do with every Dominion expansion.

I agree. I think Temporum is pretty rad, mainly because it scratches the Dominion itch in a similar time, arguably much shorter if you factor in shuffling/setup/teardown. Would definitely like to see the deck get expanded.

Crackbone fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Mar 21, 2015

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Has anyone played Shadows of Brimstone and have an opinion on it?

Dice dice counters roll for move roll d6 more counters draw counters equal to d6 roll roll roll roll roll whoops im dead

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

jivjov posted:

So just for fun, I bought myself a complete Badger Deck. Now that I'm in possession of a 10-suited deck of cards, each running from 0 to 20, with an Ace and 10 other face cards...what wacky games can I recreate/simulate?

You're about 80% of the way to Pandante, if you make the betting board and use 2nd edition rules (which are way better).

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Countblanc posted:

lmao, 2 Rooms and a Boom just sent out another email saying they're having printing issues

At this point they have to be loving with people.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Pictionary + Vlaada? Gold. The only truly poo poo thing he's done is Prophecy, isn't it?

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Tekopo posted:

Bunny Bunny Moose Moose.

Is it bad or just stupid like Ugg-tech? I thought it looked interesting if not my cup of tea

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Tekopo posted:

Ugg-Tect is amazing, you take that bad. I dislike it because I have difficulty in discerning the cards and I feel silly playing it :colbert:

I meant "stupid" as in having a silliness factor that people don't like. I put bashing people with inflatable clubs and making bunny ears on your head on equal footing.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Toshimo posted:

Uhhh...

• I don't like Apple's interface.
  • I already own an "Android" tablet.
  • I don't like playing games on a touchscreen.
  • It's not conducive to multitasking.
  • It's yet another thing I'd have to carry around, since I usually have my laptop anywhere I'd already be interested in playing.

I mean, if you like the iPad experience, good on ya. That doesn't make it a catch-all solution for everyone.

You're missing his point. If your goal is to play boardgames on an electronic device, then ipad is hands-down your best option because that's what developers are apparently targeting as primary development platform.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Mr.Trifecta posted:

For those interested, I am trying my hand at streaming board games live on twitch. I will be unboxing Star Wars: Armada and Camp Grizzly live on twitch at 12 AM EST. http://www.twitch.tv/kzillatv

Seriously? Your first post in this thread is to pimp your lame rear end unboxing livestream?

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Toshimo posted:

The in-game currency is Bison Dollars.

I want the bison dollars

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

BSG is odd, in that it's a good game that slowly goes off the rails as you add in expansions that try to fix the previous one. As of now it's kind of an Arkham Horror-esque mess that really needs a 2nd edition to prune back to a good game.

I really like the look of Homeland: The Series: The Game, it sounds mechanically great traitor game, but I'm not going to buy it before I get to play.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

ConfusedUs posted:

I seem to remember that there's a thread preference for one of the * Horror games over the other, but I can't remember which.

So which one should I pick up? Arkham Horror or Eldritch Horror?

Neither really, but if you must subject yourself to one Eldritch is better.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

ConfusedUs posted:

Huh. Eldritch Horror is rated pretty highly on BGG, and there are lots of positive reviews. Why do you guys seem to hate it?

Short version, they're just not very good mechanically. There's not a lot of strategy, the random happenings can (and will) make the game unwinnable, quarterbacking is a real issue, not a lot of meaningful choices, etc. Arkham was a total trainwreck, Eldritch is a better game but it's still just a fairly random dullfest with Lovecraft themes pasted on. Given you already love good poo poo like Vlaada, I'd suspect you'd be dissapointed with either one.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Bottom Liner posted:

I bought Mage Knight at Megacon this weekend. I mostly got it to play solo, but holy poo poo this game is complicated. I also got Star Realms and it's a blast. Great deckbuilder.

I kinda want to get Marvel Dice Masters but I'm not sure about it. Is it worth getting into, or is it a big money sink to really enjoy?

Most of us would say no, but we also think Star Realms is pretty bleh as well. As a rule, blind-box anything is a bad deal, as there are tons of other games out there that are fantastic without needing to go down that path.

Crackbone fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Apr 14, 2015

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

biblios is pretty tight as well.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

EvilChameleon posted:

Tash-Kalar at some point. The version that is currently out is the redone edition with the expansion built in, right?

The new version does not have the expansion, but it has much better components than the Z-Man version.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Bottom Liner posted:

You guys' gripes about market row drafting basically boils down to not liking RNG elements, which are a fundamental part of many great games. I think the fact that there are 5+ choices to buy from in say Ascension downplays the effect of RNG, as opposed to a game like Carcassonne where you draw 1 tile face down and are completely at the mercy of RNG (I like both games a lot too).

There's a difference between randomness that effects all players equally (or allows mitigation) and randomness that's "welp, sucks to be you". Sorry you're too thick to tell the difference.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Lord Frisk posted:

Just buy minis to assemble then play a good game afterward

A thousand times this. Mini building and good games are mutually exclusive.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Wooper posted:

I've been looking for games to pick up for my group. From researching I have found some that look good to me and I was wondering if you had anything bad to say about Brass, Concordia or Panamax.

To expand the groups collection to war games I've also looked at 1775: Rebellion, but it is a bit hard to come by, like multiplayer war games in general.

Sure you don't want something with titty minis and lots of D6s?

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Shame on you inflicting those turds on others.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Rutibex posted:

Well it is pretty rude, it looks like a passive aggressive way of getting people to stop playing the game. Sulking in the corner as everyone else has fun might encourage people not to play that game in the future to avoid another tantrum. Suck it up buttercup and play a round, then suggest something else after.

There's a difference between telling people you'll bow out vs. "sulking in a corner". Is there a geek friend fallacy about everybody having to participate in everything? It's like game groups that refuse to split into smaller groups of 3-5 and then can only play 7 Wonders and Party poo poo; you probably aren't that interested in playing games.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Galaxy trucker would retheme great into a zombie game. Not that I'd want them to.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

PROTOSTORM!!! posted:

I missed the boat on buying The Village when SUSD talked about it, but It's like 40~ bucks on amazon right now and I'm quite tempted into grabbing it. My main question is, I want Agricola, I want The Village.

Do I jump at the Village now? or should I just go for what sounds like a rad time with Agricola? I'm not weighing them against each other, but I just kinda wanna know how people felt about the village, sans expansions (thoughts on the expansions?) cause I'm probably just gonna keep twiddling my thumbs and get neither. I hate when I have more than one game on my radar cause its never about the cost, it just becomes a stalemate of what am I going to crash into first.

Either way my group of friends sucks and hardly has the attention span to finish a game of Castles of Burgundy, but my partner is very much into anything they can win.

Village is fine but it's nothing really special. I wouldn't pine over it.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

fozzy fosbourne posted:

I guess Broom Service is a remake of Witch's Brew which seemed ok but not great according to reviews from my geekbuddies

I'm a huge fan of WB, and and after reading the Broom Service rulebook it's definitely it's own game. The only thing in common is the role selection mechanic, and even that's been altered to be less punishing. I'm still interested in trying it but it seems like it's missing most of what I liked in WB.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Then you pray nobody in your group has the slightest hint of AP or descend into the rabbit hole of 4 hour game.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Indolent Bastard posted:

Are there any gooncentric things happening at Gencon this year?

Not a ton of official stuff, but I know my personal plan is to play as many loving games as possible, preferably with goons (who I would assume have slightly better hygiene habits than most of Gencon). Last year we used the Groupme App to keep in touch, I'm sure somebody will fire it up closer to the con start.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

drat Dirty Ape posted:

How much nicer is the anniversary edition than the regular + expansion? If it's good enough I might end up buying it and trading/selling my old copies.

Eh. You should have bought it yesterday from Coolstuff for $60.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

cbirdsong posted:

Is Sushi Go as brainless as it seems at first glance? A member of my group brought it saying it's like 7 Wonders but faster. After a finishing a game of it, I think it's no coincidence that the same player decided 7 Wonders was boring after four plays.

How exactly is it brainless? It's drafting boiled down to basics, but there is strategy.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

TMG is working on a Cthulu-themed Star Realms.

What does poo poo mixed with mediocrity result in?

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Dre2Dee2 posted:

I saw the Ticket to Rider special edition or whatever at a huge discount at Cool Stuff, and that was what, 100+ dollars MSRP at release? How the hell is that thing going to sell? Really strange.

What do you mean huge discount? Shows as 30% off which is their normal pricing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

fozzy fosbourne posted:

I haven't played Space Hulk in ~15 years, but it seems like you would be better off with Claustrophobia

You don't need the qualifier in front of that statement. For less than the cost of space hulk retail, you can get claustrophobia and all of the expansions, and there's at least 10 or 15 extra scenario is available online.

Space Hulk sucks the sweat off a dead man's balls.