Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Had an awesome night of five player Space Alert thanks for the recommendation goons :cool:

Plan to break open Diplomacy or Game of Thrones this week. I definitely want to introduce the BSG game to our group too, but are there some other shorter Space Alert style (as in length, not necessarily gameplay) games that we could rotate in and out to keep poo poo fresh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
So I got some belated xmas stuff and I may be one of you.

Besides Space Alert/Diplomacy/Games of Thrones 2nd Edition which were had on the day:

Coup
Avalon
Lords of Waterdeep
Tichu
Love Letter
Wits & Wagers
Ca$h and Guns (2nd Ed)
Dominion

Feverishly trying to figure out play order -- we're already in love with Space Alert obviously so that will get a round or two. I'd love to try Game of Thrones tomorrow because we'll have a big group together -- but they all look like a blast.

e: Not that this won't keep us occupied for a good long while, but I've been checking out boardgamegeek and looking for the next impulse purchase and Sheriff of Nottingham/K2 look like a lot of fun. Although with how much we've enjoyed Space Alert, Dungeon Lords or Galaxy Trucker may be in order (or maybe another co-op game like Flashpoint/Mice & Mystics/Forbidden Desert).

I guess we're leaning towards variety and theme right now (although maybe eventually we'll get into some more hardcore stuff like Terra Mystica).

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Dec 29, 2014

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Broken Loose posted:

gently caress theme. Play Dominion. You're welcome.

wrt theme: it's kind of a big deal so far with the group I've got together. Like I'd to play Caylus/Agricola (or maybe Caverna? definitely Dungeon Lords) at some point with them but I think Lords of Waterdeep will be a nice way to get them used to the mechanics.

What's the best Dominion expansion to get if/when we like it and want to move to 5+ players. Intrigue?

e: I kinda can't believe I haven't gotten into these kind of games earlier with the amount of loving risk/clue/monopoly I've played at family/friend gatherings. There are a lot of really cool games :shobon:

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Dec 30, 2014

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
well I just got a party group to throw down CAH and play Avalon for hours so that's a success, everyone said it was the best party game they had ever played

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
What's the reprint cycle on something like Dungeon Lords -- I know they just did an anniversary kickstarter, but will the actual game be like impossible to find at a decent price for a while?

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Bobby The Rookie posted:

You can pre-order it on CSI for $44 currently.

badass, thanks

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Rusty Kettle posted:

Sheriff of Nottingham was the hit of the holiday season for my friends and family. I'm pretty sure that I sold two or three copies of that game once it is back to print.

The only issue we have is that the discard piles get filled completely with illegal goods within the first round or so. This means that the whole draw from the discard thing becomes pointless quickly. Should our group be trying to smuggle in more legal goods?

Yeah SoN sounds really great and I'm pretty sure I'm going to get it as soon as it comes back into print. Anyone have any thoughts on K2? I love the theme, and the mechanics appear solid.

Also in continuing the recommendations because this thread has been great for that -- what's another co-op to go to after Space Alert/Forbidden Desert that won't be too disappointing? Definitely going to pick up Dungeon Lords and BSG when they come back into print, but long term I'd like to get another co-op, a heavyish euro or two (Caverna? Agricola? Puerto Rico? Terra Mystica? Maybe El Grande or Princes of Florence?). Dominion is great so maybe it will end up eating my money away with the expansions.

Here's the family collection so far, tell me what else to burn money on:

Space Alert
Galaxy Trucker
Forbidden Desert
Dominion
7 Wonders
Ca$h and Guns 2nd ed
Wits and Wagers
Settlers of Catan (+ 5/6 exp)
Chaos in the Old World
Lords of Waterdeep
Game of Thrones 2nd ed
Avalon
Coup
Love Letter
Tichu
Diplomacy
CaH, Trivial Pursuit, Scrabble, Monopoly, Clue, Risk, etc

I can't really say there's a strong preference among those. We're really enjoying everything. Strong theme is nice, but they're eating up Dominion so it's not a huge deal. I guess...variety and depth (as in more, compared to what I have). But if there's a fun/lighter game that has an interesting mechanic that's a good gateway (sorta like Waterdeep) to deeper stuff, that's fine too -- awesome party games are welcome as well.

Plays well at 4, 5, or 6 players is a huge plus, I will say. We usually have around that number -- although if there's something awesome for 2 or 3 that's a must have my ears are open.

:homebrew: :homebrew: :homebrew:

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Thanks for all the recommendations guys (and the K2 reviews) Temporum looks pretty great, had never heard of it -- and Viticulture/Concordia were two I had looked at a while ago but were worried about theme wise. Now that I think/know my group won't care as much I'll have to bring them back into the debate. Definitely want to get a heavier euro to the table sometime soon to see how we do, although I don't know if I have the balls to buy Terra Mystica before trying something like Agricola or Caylus. Lots to chew on :o:

More stuff:

How would you guys compare Kemet vs. Cyclades? Does Dominant Species factor at all in here, or completely different ballgame?

I think I have a good idea about where to go worker placement wise, but for a game with a strong auction mechanic (GoT sorta has this but it's still at it's heart fightey): anyone have any thoughts on Princes of Florence/El Grande/Keyflower?

e: and Warhammer Diskwars looks really cool. Chaos in the Old World is such a fun game, god the WH theme rules

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jan 6, 2015

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I started four people who had never played a worker placement game on Lords of Waterdeep and they had a great time and want to play again. The theme is nice if your group has any experience with D&D, the Lord of the Rings movies, etc -- and the rules are easily explainable/graspable after one round while maintaining depth. I'm already planning a heavier worker placement to spring on them just based on how much they enjoyed it (come to me Dominant Species, come to me -- or maybe Caylus/Agricola/Viticulture/Concordia/Le Havre/Dungeon Lords aaaaaaaaaahhh I already asked for enough recommendations). Actually I'm definitely getting Dungeon Lords so that + something else.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jan 8, 2015

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

QnoisX posted:

So how do you get the Lancelot rules to Resistance Avalon if you wanted to proxy the cards? I've seen the cards on BGG, but no idea how they are used. Be nice if they just sold the kickstarter stuff separately somewhere. Yeah, I know there's the original Resistance expansions that do the same stuff, well I guess. Didn't see a Lancelot listed. I'm thinking that one over too.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3439169/Do%20Not%20Delete/lancelot.pdf

and Excalibur:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3439169/Do%20Not%20Delete/excalibur.pdf

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

QnoisX posted:

Thanks! Thinking about instead of just proxying the extra 10 or so cards I might make a BSG version. Baltar would make a good Lancelot. Excalibur could be a Cylon detector? Yeah, think so. Merlin is...I dunno Adama? He didn't know who the Cylons were, but he was almost assassinated. When he wasn't in charge things took a really bad turn for the humans. Boomer's role would be obvious there. If not Adama as Merlin then whom? If you used someone else, then Boomer and Athena could be the Lancelots I suppose... Yeah, might not the best retheme.

Oh, duh. Lady of the Lake would be the Cylon detector. Hmm...

I proxy Lancelot sometimes and just pick one of the basic evil/basic good cards and let people know before the game: this minion is good lancelot, this minion is evil lancelot, etc. Excalibur you can use whatever you have on hand, since it's just a token that's passed around.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
So if I'm deadset on some 4 player Dominion and only have the base set -- Intrigue is my next step I would assume?

Tekopo posted:

All the best WP games have direct ways to attack your opponents :colbert:

What are some of the WPs besides like Dominant Species with tons of player interaction/direct conflict?

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Tekopo posted:

good stuff

Thanks. These all comprise (along with Dominant Species and Archipelago) pretty much the top of my WP wishlist after we get tired of Waterdeep. How do Rosenberg's other WPs (Caverna/Le Havre/Ora Et Labora) compare to Agricola?

A few other neat looking WPs (Lewis & Clark, Keyflower, and Francis Drake) are sitting five minutes away from me at my FLGS so that's kind of tempting too. Anyone have any experience with them? Francis Drake's box weighs like 20 pounds.

also goddamn does Alchemists look fun -- print before I run out of money please

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Jedit posted:

I'll save you some money - it's a limp game with a gimmick. If you really want a copy you'll be able to pick one up for half of gently caress all in about three months.

drat, that's disappointing. The theme/mechanics looked really fun. CGE can make bad games too?!

quote:

Worker placement with direct conflict: Euphoria. Your workers are dice; you re-roll them whenever they leave the board, either by you picking them up or them being bumped out of the space they're on by another worker being placed there, and if the total of the workers you don't have on the board plus a variable constant is greater than 15 you lose one of your workers. If you catch a player recalling only some of his dice to avoid that risk, you can bump another one of his workers from the board to push him over the top. Also there are a number of construction projects on the board. When one of them is completed, anyone who didn't participate in the construction suffers a penalty until they can pay a painful cost. Each space on the construction tracks requires a specific resource, too, so you can block players out of the spaces they can build.

This was one that looked really fun on BG but it looks like it's out of print/really expensive otherwise. Great looking game though and that mechanic sounds like it would work well with my group.

e: oh gently caress apparently they're doing a 2nd edition preorder for literally one more day hah http://stonemaiergames.com/buy-euphoria/

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jan 9, 2015

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

OperaMouse posted:

First of all, Alchemists was not designed by Vlaadaa, although he gave some advice, I think.

True, but I've heard great things about Last Will and Tzolk'in. It seems like they have some talent there outside of Vlaada.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Jedit posted:

Chvatil is not good.

why do you say such hurtful things

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I'm having a good time with Chaos in the Old World. My group played pretty much all played Risk growing up so the progression is pretty natural. Dealing with Khorne at first is a pain but I think once you realize you're a loving Chaos God and this not a game about turtling in your own area but being a dick 24/7 poo poo starts to open up

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Some Numbers posted:

Actually, fighting with Khorne is a surefire way to let him win much faster. None of the other three gods gain anything from engaging Khorne except possibly killing his warriors.

I meant more "teleport his units out of here, play cards that allow for no combat, etc" -- actively hinder him, rather than just kind of reacting to Khorne.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

thespaceinvader posted:

It just didn't feel like it was a team game, it felt like it was a solo game played by committee. It was fun, but it was nowhere near the best co-op game I've played.

What other co-ops do you like after thread favorites / bg standards like Space Alert/Forbidden Desert/Pandemic/Flashpoint?

Is Descent any good? The D&D board games? Mice & Mystics? Pathfinder? Anything else to recommend ?

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Rutibex posted:

Today is pay day, which means today is also new board game day! :D I was hoping to get Twilight Imperium 3 but the local shop didn't have it so I picked up a few other things instead. Terra Mystica seemed a good choice due to the weight of the box, and I got Tragedy Looper because of this threads glowing recommendations. I wish they had the bigger Mage Knight Expansion but I grabbed Krang because it was all they had :(

badass -- Terra Mystica/Mage Knight may be on my tomorrow payday buy list as well but Cardhaus has so many good deals on Euroclassics that I feel like I kinda need to try that I may go that route.

Although they also have a sale on Viticulture and K2, gently caress. Battlestar Galactica and Dominant Species shall be mine though, that's a loving guarantee :devil:

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
My group (where it's usually me teaching) seems to learn best my playing a few "test" turns then starting an actual game. That's probably why they picked up Space Alert so quickly. They actually commented on how much they liked Vlad's introduction of information :shobon:

Granted we haven't played anything super heavy where the mid/end game phase may be drastically different than the first couple of turns but: Brief overview/win conditions followed by test run has worked pretty well.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

goodness posted:

Anyone have a copy of Dominion they are looking to sell? About to pick up Takenoko for 34$ (good price?) and wanting to see if I can find Dominion for cheaper than 30$.

Cardhaus has Takenoko for $33 and Domion for $28.

Actually it seems like Cardhaus has pretty much the best prices on everything right now (free shipping at $125).

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Boardgame Warehouse really needs to stop teasing that $22 Sheriff of Nottingham at the top of their Deals and Specials when it's out of stock :mad:

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Zveroboy posted:

Catan, Pandemic and more recently Splendor have shattered that image of board games my parents had. I got home last night after my gaming evening at the pub to find my parents had played 3 games of Splendor in a row, we spent 30 minutes discussed strategy.

Dominion/Avalon did likewise with my family/extend family at Xmas. Although to be fair my dad loves loving boardgames, he just wasn't aware of the whole designer thing. Waterdeep, Love Letter, and Space Alert (!) have also gone over very well with newish boardgamers.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Also this look loving awesome: http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/152470/fief-france-1429

quote:

In Fief: France 1429, a player may attempt to gain control of all the villages in a Fief to gain the Royal Title of Baron, Earl or Duke. For each Fief a player controls, he gains 1 VP. These Titled Lords may now take part in the election for the next King. They may even be a candidate to become King, thus bringing 1 VP and more power to the family! Other members of your family may follow the calling of the Church to gain the Ecclesiastical Titles of Bishop and then Cardinal. These titles allow you to Tithe Bishoprics, taking the Church's (i.e. "your") fair share of income from other Fief Lords! The highest goal your clerical family member can attain is to be elected Pope, bringing 1 VP and special privileges to your family!

You win the game as soon as you have 3 VPs. This is easier said than done and you may need to form alliances with other players through diplomacy and marriage to obtain your goal. When one of your family members marries a noble of another family, the two of you become allied. You now win the game together with 4 VPs and cannot win alone, unless your marriage is annulled by the Pope or your spouse is "mysteriously" murdered or dies of some other foul means!

Kind of Game of Thronesy (with a suggested hour less playtime) -- and that marriage + assassination mechanic sounds delightful.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

GrandpaPants posted:

It's supposed to be modeled after Crusader Kings. I'll let you know when my Kickstarter arrives ;)

As someone who has a poo poo load of CK2 logged on Steam -- gently caress yes

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
speaking of Dominion my mom beat me in it yesterday and talked a bunch of poo poo then ordered Intrigue

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Speaking of WP my Dominant Species (among others) just arrived, couldn't resist :o:

Want to get the 'Gric and Dungeon Lords too. I'm debased.

e: If you're gonna do a big order online ($125+ for free shipping) I would highly recommend Cardhaus. They're pretty much the cheapest out there, they have a ton of inventory, and the turnaround is fast.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jan 20, 2015

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Oh dear after a few weeks or so of LoW/Dominion/etc I dragged my dad into http://www.sci-fi-city.com/ and he bought Imperial Assault on the spot. He even wants to paint the minis :psyduck:

what hath I wrought

quote:

The idea of "conflict with strangers, shared struggle/misery with friends" as a guiding design principle for Vlaada makes so much sense now and I think it's a big reason why I like his games. I wonder what he thinks of TtA now, though, since that's a little more nasty than his other non-Tash-kalar designs from what I can tell.

Anyways, I feel this way, too. I can play Magic with strangers or really competitive friends, but for most of my friends and family I have a different pool of games that I prefer to play like Dominion or Galaxy Trucker.

This is a good point. Space Alert/Galaxy trucker have worked really well for me for more or less new boardgamers because it's such a shared experience of dread and destruction. There's an immediate element of player participation/ownership that he does quite well.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jan 20, 2015

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Go RV! posted:

Hey, speaking of Vlaada, has the new edition of Tash'Kalar come out yet, and if so where can I buy it?

CSI has it like $20 cheaper than anyone else for preorder: http://www.coolstuffinc.com/p/210437

e: can also preorder Everfrost there: http://www.coolstuffinc.com/p/210442

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jan 20, 2015

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Merauder posted:

Speaking of IDW and their incredibly rocky start launching games, has anyone had a chance to play their new X-Files Board Game that released last week? I'm the kind of sucker who will probably buy it sight unseen thanks to the theme, but early discussion around it hasn't sounded super positive.

what's this :monocle:

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Holy poo poo apparently there's a group in East Tennessee that gets 13-25 a meetup and they're having a session not five minutes away from me this rules:

http://www.metropulse.com/stories/throw-down-your-apps-more-and-more-people-are-getting-social-through-board-games

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Lorini posted:

You are so fortunate. Greg Schloesser is one of the nicest guys ever to play games with. Tell him Jennifer Schlickbernd said hi!

I'm talking to Greg in Gmail right now, will do :)

Played a sort of test run of Game of Thrones last night, it was a bit fiddly for some members of my group at first but lots of fun once we got going. Can't wait to play a full game next week (and I made drat sure we're playing with 6).

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Mega64 posted:

I'm part of that group (and the other mentioned group), and I don't have a bad thing to say about it. Everyone's great and friendly, and there are always a large variety of games to play. And seconding that Greg is awesome. Hope to see you there!

Awesome. Pming you

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Not gonna lie we were listening to the GoT soundtrack while playing. When Stannis's theme came on during Baratheon's turn it was metal as gently caress.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Spartacus was on sale for $20 at my FLGS so I picked it up tell me I was right

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jan 23, 2015

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Excellent. Is the expansion worth getting? Cause they have that cheap too.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Played LoW with Skullport for the first time and I quite liked it. The theme is better integrated in the expansion and the added player interaction/risk management (via corruption) made the WP decisions more meaningful. Xanathar seems a bit underpowered as a lord - might need a house rule to use him.

The game went really smoothly (I ended up winning by two points). My group is getting less green. I should probably introduce them to a mediumish WP game soon since they love the mechanic but the next thing up I own is Dominant Species and it's dying to be played. I dunno, I'm pretty sure I'm going to buy Dungeon Lords but that seems around the same heaviness as DS.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jan 25, 2015

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I played all of the classic crap growing up (and HeroQuest too actually) and then got really fed up with it all for a while before buying Catan a couple of years ago, liking it well enough, but not really pursuing it any further.

Bought Space Alert (on the basis of this thread) for my dad on Xmas because he had been itching to play something and I Really Really Really didn't want to play Clue or Risk or again and now I'm a bit addicted and spending way too much money / have a steady group of friends + family to play with every week / signing up for local boardgame meetups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Jedit posted:

Re: Earth Reborn - Christophe Boelinger is just a really good designer. Anyone who likes Chvatil should check out his stuff, then weep over how long they have wasted playing Mage Knight.

Illegal looks cool -- have you played it?