Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
Tim Fowers started asking for pre-orders for Paperback's second print run a year ago and I received it 2 weeks ago. That's for a 600 unit run.

I'm fine with him deciding to fully self-publish but I think it would seriously hurt board gaming if everyone operated that way. I imagine this is how wargamers feel all the time with the P500 system.

edit: That Cones of Dunshire kickstarter is a fantastic joke.

Bubble-T fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jan 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

If anyone wanted to hear Paul + Brendan Quinns and Matt from SUSD talk about Fluxx and Cosmic Encounter and why they only like one, go to ~9:30 in the latest podcast: http://www.shutupandsitdown.com/podcast/episode/podcast-24/

Their reasoning seems to be something like "Cosmic is bullshit but only for one turn!" :raise:

They also mention Kill Doctor Lucky afterwards.

edit: Somehow I have the members of SUSD all backwards.

Bubble-T fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jan 15, 2015

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

Gimnbo posted:

I can't tell if this is on purpose or not.

In any case they seem to believe that Cosmic Encounter has legitimate mind games.

It's not I'm just not all there this morning.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

We have two game stores in my city with at least one employee who knows what they're talking about and one that's clearly an MtG/Warhammer cash cow farm which stocks boardgames on the off chance one of their clients watched Tabletop. I don't know how they stay in business because they're not even the main MtG store and the local scene isn't that big.

fozzy fosbourne posted:

I guess Vlaada helped playtest Robinson Crusoe.

Unfortunately Ignacy only partly listened to his main criticism ("the bad things deck has to do only bad things, keep your game under control") because whoops RC is still full of wildly varying effects that you can't predict at all. One of the main things I learned when playing through the scenarios was that drawing 'adventure' cards (from rolling dice because you only used 1 action instead of 2 to do something) is almost as likely to be good as it is bad. Since saving actions is super important you should do this quite a bit, at which point you're basically just letting the game decide whether you get horrendously hosed or have an unsatisfyingly easy ride to the finish.

Compare it to Ghost Stories where all your actions are good with defined costs, all the ghosts are bad (it's just a matter of how/why they're bad) and rolling dice is the main source of "how much does the game hate me?" but even that's mitigated by the game mostly being balanced around using dice as a means to save tokens rather than a reliable way to kill ghosts by themselves. It still manages to have a cool and well presented theme despite being much better controlled and not flooded with flavour text or a million cards you won't see every game!

Social Dissonance posted:

I'm up to about 10 playthroughs now and I'm still discovering bizarre fringe cases while I play the game. I don't mind it, but it's pretty hilarious when a fan made FAQ had to be created that existed to quote multiple sources, both from the creator himself as well as the official rule set from the German version. Case in point, due to the translation, the German version allows for skills to be played ANY TIME because that's a strong translation, where as the other versions have any time be more like "well....most of the time." The game is still great fun as 99% of the game is very straightforward. It's just when bizarre situations where a character "sleeps outside the camp, so takes damage from being exposed, but also has to eat food which comes from the camp."

I look forward to Mage Knight. From what I've seen, while complicated, there's never any doubt on what an accurate ruling is, right?
The official answer on a bunch of stuff for Robinson Crusoe seems to be "do what you think is thematic". I'm pretty sure the FAQ has a couple questions for which there's no real answer or the answers conflict depending on which source you use.

Mage Knight isn't nearly as bad, the rules are written quite formally and there's few edge cases you need to worry about (though they do exist, especially with the expansion). It's just a bit of a pain to actually look up specific rules until you get used to where everything is in the rulebook.

Bubble-T fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jan 15, 2015

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

burger time posted:

How is paperback? It looks interesting

I've only played a couple of games but so far I'm enjoying it. It's a weird game to critique because it's obviously a dominion clone and yet the word-building thing makes it feel so different in how it plays that I don't have my head around it yet. A few things I've noticed:

1. There appears to be two main strategic paths - build big words to capture the common letters (requires 7, 8, 9 and 10 letter words) by buying cards with double letters or +handsize effects, or build high scoring words to buy the expensive fame cards in a kind of 'big money' approach, usually requiring the one-shot cards that double your word score to spike up to the most expensive ones for a turn. Finishing the game by making the 10 letter word seems quite difficult.

2. The card market is somewhere in between Ascension and Dominion - there's a random set of cards in the market at any time, but they're segregated by cost. I'm not yet convinced it's mechanically sound but it seems to work ok. Most piles have 2 cards available at any time thankfully.

3. Trashing effects are available but not as easy to get as in Dominion, I haven't seen anyone build a thin deck yet.

It feels quite a bit like Text Twist - the card game overall and is a nice alternative to Boggle for when we want a quick word game. I wouldn't play it with 4 or 5 players until everyone is experienced and you can do the simultaneous-play variant because finding an optimal word can be difficult at times.

It's not hugely innovative, but it feels different enough to Dominion to justify its existence for those that like word games. Jury's out on its mechanical soundness. I am finding it :siren:fun:siren: though, so far, and less auto-pilot boring than Star Realms.

Apparently Fowers has a guy working on an app which the game seems incredibly well suited to, would be a nice asynchronous turns mobile game. Not sure if/when that'll happen though.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

I like Sushi Go! but its the definition of filler, can't play it constantly. Bonhair is right that its best played at breakneck pace.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

Dungeone Lords is not very mean if you pay without the blue event cards. I taught it to three newbies last week and we were all at 17-20 points, with me coming last on a respectable score despite losing 2 rooms and 3 tunnels in the second year. I can't imagine Dungeon Petz is all that mean either.

Tash-Kalar and Through The Ages don't go out of their way to have the game screw you, they just let your opponent do it instead. If that's preferable to a penalty for not paying your taxes.. ok.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

Bohnanza's two player rules are pretty bad. Its a good game otherwise.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

Star Realms is garbage as a filler, might as well flip a coin. You could best-of-3 but why not play a good game in that time?

I've never played the physical version but I can only imagine how unsatisfying it is without the app doing everything for you and providing explosion sounds to signify that yes, mindlessly playing your entire hand did something.

Bubble-T fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jan 18, 2015

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Why the hell is Glory to Rome still out of print? It's a card game for crying out loud

Cambridge Games hate both money and fans of Glory to Rome.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

I saw some people playing Dead of Winter tonight. They all lost, including the Betrayer, because he had 2 medical supplies in hand instead of three. The guy next to him had five med kits lying around in his hand but the betrayer couldn't even try to sweet talk one out of him at any point because trading means you have to immediately use them for some reason.

dripping with theme

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

Has anyone here heard anything about getting replacement combat boards from the Dungeon Lords kickstarter? I don't expect to play the expansion content for a while but it's going to really poo poo me if I have to use the boards that don't fit together correctly. I filled out the form but there's zero feedback so I don't even know if I did it correctly.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

Replayability aside, Caverna is definitely less mean and off-putting than Agricola (and indeed other worker placement games at that complexity) but I found it really lacking in elegance. It's a good choice for people who love having a ton of components all over the board and in their stockpiles and different ways to get what they need. It made me realise that I fundamentally value the strict feeling of worker placement games though, that feeling that you really have to do 3 things right now so other people can't take them from you but you only have one action.

Keyflower and Dungeon Lords both retain that feeling despite theoretically letting up to 3 people take the same action each round. I'd probably vote for Stone Age as the best game for people who want to dip their toes in to worker placement, Tolk'in seems alright as well but I've not played it much.

I haven't played Dungeon Petz myself but I watched a game last night and it looks incredible.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

unpronounceable posted:

I've found that in Keyflower, being able to take actions up to three times makes it feel more aggressive when you completely block someone's action with three meeples than in other WP games I've played.

It is a very aggressive game but I think it lets the players ease themselves in to that a bit more as opposed to Agricola where you automatically block other players any time you do something and then the game beats everyone up for good measure. Keyflower is really clever.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

Xia is a "sandbox" in the sense that it's a load of nice components you have to design your own game from.

Regarding Mage Knight I honestly can't remember the last time I felt unfairly screwed by needing cards to move, though I do use the house rule that you can mulligan your very first hand until you have at least one movement card. After that it's basically your job to work with the cards and play such that you won't end up in the middle of nowhere with zero movement.

That's not to say it can't happen, but greatly minimising that risk is a key part of the game. I understand why people don't like having to do that but not sure I'd agree it's a serious problem. MK does have problems, especially in the competitive form, it's a pretty ambitious game so that's not surprising. I wonder if a baby version of the game with a faster playtime would remain interesting.

As for electronic implementations, the Vassal mod is pretty good and does a lot of the automation for you but I still prefer the tabletop game. There's something nice about having the cards in front of you and physically moving poo poo around as you try to come up with the best move or most efficient combat solution.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

The funniest thing about DoW is unless you're playing the co-op variant it's not actually a co-op. It's not a team game or a 1vX game either, it's a straight up free-for-all due to the secret objectives.

There's a thread on the BGG forums from a guy asking whether his group should be mad at him that he finished the Main Objective off because he'd completed his Secret Objective, while the other players hadn't. Nobody was a betrayer and yet according to the rules the game ends immediately and he's the only winner. Apparently the correct response to one person helping with the Main Objective is for everyone else to be suspicious that they've finished their Secret Objective and consider tanking the game for a bit until they can complete their own Secret Objective :psyduck:

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

We need a term like "Uncanny Valley" for that point Archipelago sits on where you can't tell if it's brave for dealing with the racism behind its theme overtly, or awful for being so racist about it.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

The two funniest things about that kickstarter:

1. Their first playtest was last week.

2. Having recieved two MILLION dollars they rewarded people with exactly the kind of stretch goal a player-eliminating game sold as being "more fun the closer to the end you are" needs: more cards, for a longer playtime. Only for the higher cost pledge of course.

Tekopo posted:

I like how highly strategic is just some kind of buzzword now in a lot of Kickstarters.

everything is the perfect combination of luck and skill also easy to learn but difficult to master

I was also pretty confused when their video said you'd have to form strategies and choose who to target, because I can't see any reason to target one person over another nor any reliable way of doing so besides "sit to their right".

Bubble-T fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Jan 22, 2015

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

Playtesting a week out from release would explain a lot about video game design.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

Broken Loose posted:

sigh

I can't even muster the words, really. Nothing can appropriate express my despondence that I will never reach a level of success as some shithead who scribbles clickbait of fat people rolling in poo poo and screaming.

Well if anything this kickstarter proves that you can - you just have to befriend one and get their legion of fans to buy your game

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Anyways, I'm always on the look out for more really well executed "almost multi-player solitaire" games, I think.

Not really multiplayer solitaire but can I suggest you try Dungeon Lords? It's got that worker-placement feel but it's much harder to be a passive-aggressive jerk because there's 3 slots on each action to share between 4 players and you select your actions secretly and simultaneously (a bit like Race for the Galaxy) so it's not nearly as easy to mess up someone else's plan with pinpoint accuracy.

It is still a pretty mean game in true Vlaada style, though.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

I like mechanical theme. I enjoy flavour (text) that *supports* mechanical theme. I really strongly dislike flavour for its own sake, or more specifically the assumption that a game is "thematic" just because you wrote lots of stories on your cards that have gently caress all to do with the mechanics of the game.

As an aside, I wish theme and flavour were reversed in game terminology when I compare it to how I'd talk about an actual meal or banquet. "Flavour" actually relates to how a dish interacts with your palate and your sense of taste, and should be used to describe mechanics that evoke a sense of story, narrative, character or place. "Theme" is extraneous poo poo you put on to make it look like things are related to each other or to something else. If I have chips served from a pumpkin bowl at my halloween themed party they're still just chips.

It's weird because "retheming" is actually understood in that way - if you retheme something you're changing the skin of a game without altering the mechanics or their associated mechanical flavour.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

Dr. VooDoo posted:

The thought I might sit down at a game night somewhere and someone will pull out Exploding Kittens is horrifying. It's like Munchkin from hell

Nah, if there's one good thing about the cat game its that it actually ends.

For once player elimination might be a boon too, just get yourself killed early and go do something better!

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

apparently they get a bunch of rules wrong and are sort of houseruling others, who'd have thought

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

At least that means Xia isn't alone in the category of "roll-to-move games released in 2014".

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

Fat Samurai posted:

Well, that's a first.

Played Smallworld Underground during the weekend. I don't particularly like the first one, with the politicking and the long time reading all the stuff races can do, which is quite a lot of setup for a supposedly light game. But Underworld is in dire need of a better FAQ. There is lot of skills that contradict each other, and even the usual "denial powers take precedence over powers that let you do stuff" didn't help in some cases (for example, whether a race being Martyrs due to a location gains a coin when losing that location).

Underground is actually worse than the base game, it's quite a feat.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

Played my first games of Rise to Power today, seems pretty good. Its a tableau/set collection game somewhere between Splendor and Race for the Galaxy in depth. You can generally build either outwards or upwards and the game will end very quickly if someone wants to force the tempo. Its also possible to steal from opponents boards to some extent, which works fine in 1v1 but I'm not sure how it'll play out with more.

I also played two more games of Caverna and can safely say I don't really enjoy it. There's a strategic engine building game fighting a worker placement game in there for importance and they're both suffocated by mounds of bullshit. It doesn't help that adventures with 4 choices and the super-flexible rubies send my friend's AP in to overdrive.

Bubble-T fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Jan 26, 2015

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

Welcome to the Catan Sucks crew :getin:

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

The worst game I've ever bought was Robinson Crusoe, I have impeccable taste.

I played magic and warhammer for years, not to mention a million awful video games

And yeah anyone that thinks Exploding Kittens is a gateway is a moron, its not even in the tabletop category of kickstarter. Backers aren't going to see any other modern game ever, they're just going to think Uno is still the pinnacle of game design.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

PC bloodbowl is actually pretty fun, a group of my friends have an ongoing league. It's a huge advantage having the computer do all of the dice rolling, calculations, upkeep etc. and you can just leave it sitting there for a month while everyone's on holidays without an issue.

It's still not a good game but it's one of the few highly random games I quite enjoy.

Broken Loose posted:

Here's a short (6 minute) video that lightly describes how the game is played:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-M23iDH1BI8

Your voice really reminds me of Phreak from Riot Games (league of legends). I don't know why I find this so amusing.

Anyway your game looks mindbendingly difficult and yes, pretty nerdy/anime. I don't think my group would go for it but I know people who'll love poo poo like "you have to say 'it burns!' after everything" and I'll definitely pass it on to them.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

Istanbul is a Pickup and Deliver game, right? I swear people just call any board game with wooden pawns "Worker Placement" now.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

Ask CGE how the gently caress they sent Dungeon Lords Anniversary all the way over here for $15 when everyone else charges your first born child. All I know is that it was a combination of DHL and Australia Post from Germany.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

Archenteron posted:

Wait, the kickstarter being cheaper than buying it retail? :allears:

MSRP and retail price aren't the same thing.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

Poison Mushroom posted:

Not only is the Oatmeal game nearing 5 million dollars, but a horrible dicefest board game is just running away with success, too.

God, I'm getting bitter recently.

Haha gently caress, you even roll for turn order every turn.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

Played multiple games of Keyflower tonight, got screwed in winter every game, still enjoyed it immensely.

Keyflower is so loving good.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

Blamestorm posted:

As much as Le Havre/Agricola/Caverna - actually all of the Uwe games are a bit different than most other worker placements in that you have far less workers per player. I think they all start with two except for Ora which has three (one with a special go anywhere ability).

Le Havre has only one and you don't even use it much of the time.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

Champagne is a mix of two red and one white variety so the game recipe is fine.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

Magnetic North posted:

It's built on it's an aggregate of votes where each person get 20 points and you can vote a game from 1 to 20, but cannot give a game negative votes. Maybe that methodology is flawed, but it's better than just the opinion of an individual. Of course, anyone posting here already has a better resource at their disposal.

The only issue I have with this poll is I have to wonder how many people voting in it even have more than 20 games to give a score to. I suspect it's a bit self-reinforcing.

Other than that it's really not a bad list for newcomers to go by.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

It's not hilarious when they don't have the same approach to their top 10 lists it's loving stupid and shows that Vassel either can't or won't control his buddies enough to have them actually create the content the title of the video advertises.

I watched one they did on the "most influential" games and Sam Healy decided this actually meant the games in which he personally first saw a particular mechanic, which is a stupid metric that IIRC he couldn't even stick to.

Zee is the most tolerable of the bunch but his tastes lean light and short so he's not too useful once you've progressed past Pandemic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

I've read a million board game review sites and bgg blogs and this forum is by far the most useful source for actual reviews of games, largely because there's a bunch of people commenting and we're not afraid to poo poo on a game.

Every the I find a new site I think I like it turns out they gave Xia or Star Realms a glowing review or something :(